Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

MAGBLADE pvp theorycrafting

• kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    Even though I've had fun with julianos impreg & 1 kena, I've decided to swap impreg for wizards due to group mates taking way too much heat/damage.
    So my destro setup is now:
    Juli front bar, riposte back bar, 1 pirate, 1 kena
    I changed to lover mundus so now I'm up to approx 15k pen, & jewelry enchants are 1 reduce cost, 1 recovery, 1 spell dmg
    This destro setup is legit for open world so I don't have any plans to further change it.

But I've always wanted to try a 2 hander forward momentum build: sap, lotus fan, forward momentum, concealed, mage light
    So I'm def running war maiden on front bar, should I continue with riposte back bar & 1 pirate, 1 kena? What are others doing for a two hander build? This is for open world cyro 1vx play.
    What pitfalls or issues have people had?
    I mean, if I stick to my current enchants on the destro build, still in 5 light, sharpened sword, cp, lover mundus, 15k pen should have my concealed strike hitting pretty hard right?

While I usually have blessing of restoration on back bar for the heal, I wonder if I should replace something for double take, I feel double take would probably mesh well with forward momentum; thoughts?

I don't really want to run cripple b/c that means putting cp into thaumaturge which I'm not doing, I'm not running skoria b/c I don't think the 1 dot from cripple is enough to proc it often.

My usual back bar:
    Cloak, blessing of resto, impale, healing ward, merciless resolve
    Maybe I can remove impale if concealed is hitting hard enough?

If you're not running cripple I'd highly advise running double take as a replacement. Movement speed is really important on a melee mageblade and the passive dodge chance is extremely handy. You need to kite well.

I'm currently running War maiden, bloodthorn and 1 domihaus on my 2h build. Personally, I'd rather get my spell damage buff from Degen over sap essence, just because of the passive healing and that I can activate it from range.

I don't run lotus fan either. It costs a lot for what you get. Personal preference of course.

I mean it's a difference between do I want dodge chance or do I want a burst heal & extra defense from blessing of restoration. Like I said, I could take off impale & just rely on lotus fan & concealed to kill my opponent, that would free up a slot for double take.
    Or, I could take off lotus fan as you suggested but it's really nice being able to "spambush" a sorc or stam blade running away.

I agree that I should get 1 piece domihaus as my resources are a little lower than I would like, stam sitting at 11k & mag front bar 38-39k back bar 33-34k

Sustain is generally fine with 1900 mag recovery, would just like to get 40k mag on front & 12k stam.
    Edited by kaithuzar on January 22, 2018 2:06AM
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »
    Even though I've had fun with julianos impreg & 1 kena, I've decided to swap impreg for wizards due to group mates taking way too much heat/damage.
    I changed to lover mundus so now I'm up to approx 15k pen, & jewelry enchants are 1 reduce cost, 1 recovery, 1 spell dmg
    This destro setup is legit for open world so I don't have any plans to further change it.

But I've always wanted to try a 2 hander forward momentum build: sap, lotus fan, forward momentum, concealed, mage light
    So I'm def running war maiden on front bar, should I continue with riposte back bar & 1 pirate, 1 kena? What are others doing for a two hander build? This is for open world cyro 1vx play.
    I mean, if I stick to my current enchants on the destro build, still in 5 light, sharpened sword, cp, lover mundus, 15k pen should have my concealed strike hitting pretty hard right?

While I usually have blessing of restoration on back bar for the heal, I wonder if I should replace something for double take, I feel double take would probably mesh well with forward momentum; thoughts?

I don't really want to run cripple b/c that means putting cp into thaumaturge which I'm not doing, I'm not running skoria b/c I don't think the 1 dot from cripple is enough to proc it often.

My usual back bar:

Heavy juli riposte and skoria is what I run on my heavy magblade. It's an insanely strong setup, but I feel like i can squeeze out a bit more damage somewhere else. Thinking of swapping riposte for alch, juli for war maiden and going for troll king instead of skoria for survivability.

I've ran heavy juli a long time ago man & I swore by it too, I still think it's good, but if I can get the mitigation from elsewhere I would prefer that. You're using riposte offbar which means you really gotta go atro mundus & it would probably even help if you had a reduce cost or recovery enchant on jewelry as I can't imagine sustain in heavy is easy. I mean if you're running eleD or siphoning those definitely help but I've personally never been good at using siphoning and eleD seems like it would be difficult to use in a 1vx situation as you're constantly trying to kite or get away from the dude you put eleD on b/c he's rolling deep with 6 friends.

Light just offers too much since they kept nerfing heavy over the past few patches. If I can just run 1 piece pirate or 1 chudan, keep major shadow passive buffs up & throw a blessing of resto for burst heal & keep minor buffs up, I think I'll be straight.
    I would like to change my 1 kena for 1 domi though, but skoria won't work for me unless I was using both cripple & degeneration/entropy which means I would need to figure out what to swap & have to spec cp into thaumaturge.
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My usual back bar:

If you're not running cripple I'd highly advise running double take as a replacement. Movement speed is really important on a melee mageblade and the passive dodge chance is extremely handy. You need to kite well.

I'm currently running War maiden, bloodthorn and 1 domihaus on my 2h build. Personally, I'd rather get my spell damage buff from Degen over sap essence, just because of the passive healing and that I can activate it from range.

I don't run lotus fan either. It costs a lot for what you get. Personal preference of course.

Whenever I kite people/use cloak to gain distance as a magblade people get salty and call me a cloak spammer lol. I never got that, there’s so many hard counters to cloak and it’s not just a way to disappear, it’s a way to force crit heals and crit your next attack and an integral part of NB gameplay. If you just magelight or hurricane/jabs+speed pot it’s almsot certain death against a skilled player.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly after running 5L 2 heavy shackle with Wizards and one piece kena, and 5 heavy 2 light shackle with spinners; I am beginning to feel like shackle is a wasted set. Need something heavier in damage to go with the defensive set of Wizards, and or with heavy armor. I survive a while with either setup but what good does it do if you're not killing anyone?
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Honestly after running 5L 2 heavy shackle with Wizards and one piece kena, and 5 heavy 2 light shackle with spinners; I am beginning to feel like shackle is a wasted set. Need something heavier in damage to go with the defensive set of Wizards, and or with heavy armor. I survive a while with either setup but what good does it do if you're not killing anyone?

Well the thing is there are so many other sources of penetration.
    If I was using spinners then I would use nirnhoned with apprentice(spell dmg) mundus, but you may get screwed out of recovery unless you swap shackle for amberplasm.
    I like doing it the other way around with juli 5 piece, sharpened weapon, and lover mundus, but I haven't actually done the math to see which way is better. My way I've got 15k penetration with just under 3k damage including major sorcery & the inc spell damage weapon glyph.
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If I was using spinners then I would use nirnhoned with apprentice(spell dmg) mundus, but you may get screwed out of recovery unless you swap shackle for amberplasm.
    I like doing it the other way around with juli 5 piece, sharpened weapon, and lover mundus, but I haven't actually done the math to see which way is better. My way I've got 15k penetration with just under 3k damage including major sorcery & the inc spell damage weapon glyph.

I get that, but I just think with shacklebreaker, I could use any set with it. If I go higher damage than spinners set for say; war maiden with heavy shackle, and use lovers for penetraion; it gets me to about the same point of actual damage as just running spinners and having a magicka or spell power mundus. Going LA for penetration with shackle as a 5 piece would leave me wanting to use a defensive set. Winds up getting to about the same as the HA build options. 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other.

Only thing I could see working for shacklebreaker is 5l 2 heavy shackle with necrop; going almost sorc stle build for max magicka and make use of harness magicka and healing ward as the defense without sacrificing offense.

Thinking it would be better as a magblade to maybe go full offense and try axiom with warmaiden, forsake regen and defense and just go for a gank and GTFO style
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I get that, but I just think with shacklebreaker, I could use any set with it. If I go higher damage than spinners set for say; war maiden with heavy shackle, and use lovers for penetraion; it gets me to about the same point of actual damage as just running spinners and having a magicka or spell power mundus. Going LA for penetration with shackle as a 5 piece would leave me wanting to use a defensive set. Winds up getting to about the same as the HA build options. 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other.

Only thing I could see working for shacklebreaker is 5l 2 heavy shackle with necrop; going almost sorc stle build for max magicka and make use of harness magicka and healing ward as the defense without sacrificing offense.

Thinking it would be better as a magblade to maybe go full offense and try axiom with warmaiden, forsake regen and defense and just go for a gank and GTFO style

Yea, it's possible but it's kind of annoying to pick & choose targets & it's really easy to run up against a tank who will just hold block while his buddy wrecking blows you from stealth 1 shot.

That's why I don't wear "sustain sets" any longer.
    1 offense, 1 defense, & then add damage & sustain where possible & adjust cp.
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • seanj87
    seanj87
    Kram8ion wrote: »
    seanj87 wrote: »
    Recently I've been running...

2 x Troll King
    5 x Torugs pact
    4/5 x Spinners

Inferno Staff front bar
    Dual Wield back

I used this setup for a while after changing from Stam to mag it’s quite effective especially with infused weapon
    but I had to go double destro to stop me from playing stamblade style which is very different

I've changed up again and am now running destro/resto, both infused due to Torugs.

Destro is great for medium attack weaving and resto is working really well with assassin's will proc
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abstraqt wrote: »
    Few highlights from the big ps4 EU dueling torny which was hosted last night, it showcases my current build of 5 necro 3 willpower & a monster set of your choice, I had to follow the torny rules so couldn't use any damaging monster sets :)

These fights were against some very good players so it proves magicka nb can still be very competitive with basic gear.

Thought I'd post this here if anyone was looking for some gameplay of a high end magicka NB build, this is just one of my set ups I like to use

https://youtu.be/15dzrg_9lBM

Sorry mate, no offense, but that's not "high end gameplay" by my opinion.
    To me, that's "standard", weaving a pve dps style rotation in a duel...everyone does that/has done that.
    High end would be killing & surviving with a minimum of 2-3 opponents on you. At least confusing/juke/kite them as a joke if they are too strong all at once.

Not a single opponent ever pressured his 0 stamina regen. I don't want to bash on these "very good players" but yeah.
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    guys, after next patch comes life and this new proc set is available i did a theorycraft on pts for my new mageblade

race argonian (what else)
    5 of the new proc set (dont have the name now) with dw or 2 hander front bar

if 2 hander /lich / trans/spc restro backbar

if dw pair it with shacklebreaker and restro backbar

2 monster helms

offensive: 2 kena/skoria
    deffensive 2 pirate skeleton

could work i think
    Edited by Trashs1 on January 22, 2018 8:37AM
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trashs1 wrote: »
    guys, after next patch comes life and this new proc set is available i did a theorycraft on pts for my new mageblade

2 monster helms

could work i think

If you go melee magblade grothdar will always be better than skoria, and 2 kena is a really bad set after the sustain nerfs.
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭

2 monster helms

could work i think

If you go melee magblade grothdar will always be better than skoria, and 2 kena is a really bad set after the sustain nerfs.

thats might be true.. also dont like grothar too much in a pvp environment because that fancy 1300 dot tick does close to nothing... pirate skeleton might be betther here
  • GaunterODim
    GaunterODim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Might consider using the new zaan monster set too if you're melee
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2 monster helms

could work i think

thats might be true.. also dont like grothar too much in a pvp environment because that fancy 1300 dot tick does close to nothing... pirate skeleton might be betther here

I don't think grothdarr is always 1300, i think that depends on your spell damage, penetration, and your opponents resistances...
    I actually really like grothdarr & promote it, I just don't think I'm tanky enough without at least 1 chudan or pirate, maybe I'll actually try heavy armor again just because of this.
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭

2 monster helms

could work i think

I don't think grothdarr is always 1300, i think that depends on your spell damage, penetration, and your opponents resistances...
    I actually really like grothdarr & promote it, I just don't think I'm tanky enough without at least 1 chudan or pirate, maybe I'll actually try heavy armor again just because of this.

i have with this char a bruisy playstile in mind. so either heavy armour or a defensive monster set. since light passives are so desireable i tend to be a pirate^^

also im playing no cp only and therefore grothar is really nothing over max 1500 per tick^^

i dont think zaan will be the best choice because its getting nerved in todays pts and even i want to be a little bit bruisy, i have to hide and go out of danger verry often.

that would result into a miss of zaans dmg output i asume

im actually think zaan is more of a magdk or mele mplar monster set. but even on my mplar i really like the pirate one
    Edited by Trashs1 on January 22, 2018 10:07AM
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In fact, lets walk through this as a heavy build...

So we want to run 2 piece grothdar & riposte back bar...
    This means we likely have to run a crafted set for heavy as war maiden is light so we either need julianos or innate axiom.
    Innate Axiom would be best for a melee setup & juli if we were going destro, but for the sake of grothdarr lets go for melee.

head: grothdar - impen - heavy (1) - max magic enchant
    shoulder: grothdarr - impen - heavy (2) - max magic enchant
    chest: axiom - impen - heavy (3) - prismatic enchant
    pants: axiom - impen - heavy (4) - prismatic enchant
    belt: riposte - impen - light - max magic enchant
    gloves: axiom - impen - light - max magic enchant
    shoes: axiom - impen - heavy (5) - max magic enchant

We use gloves & belt in light to optimize the amount of armor rating/resistances we get.

3 wizard riposte jewelry
    2 handed sword - sharp axiom - spell dmg enchant
    resto stave - wizard riposte - defending

So a 5 heavy + 2 light build, going to say 2 prismatic to help with stam. Witch mothers potent brew or gold clockwork food will get our recovery up a little. We're going to need to make up a lot of penetration so sharpened sword + lovers mundus + cp should put us right around 11k mark for spell pen.

Axiom states: (4 items) Adds 833 Spell Critical and 833
    But we'll still want to run mage light front bar to inc. our sp crit

Axiom also states: (5 items) Adds 400 Spell and Weapon Damage to your Class abilities.
    So if our primary damage source is going to have 400 sp dmg + an extra (129) spell dmg from riposte + 11k pen, and around 40% crit, spell dmg enchant on sword, then we have our grothdarr proc, the increased damage from/after soul harvest/incap and our 8% extra from merciless resolve, and major sorcery from sap or degen/entropy; damage should be good to go.

Our last & final thing is how to sustain. Riposte has 1 magic recovery on it, witch mothers brew gives a lot, but this is heavy armor, so I would suggest my usual setup of 1 reduce cost enchant, 1 recovery enchant, 1 spell damage enchant, however, for this setup we may need to run 2 recovery enchants & 1 reduce cost.

Since we've already built this build on paper, it will probably be the build I actually try out next, but if anyone else wants to try it please let me know how it goes.

Right now I'm trying war maiden in the 5 light 2 heavy version of this, but if the above performs better I'm not against switching.

My bar setup right now & also for this build is looking something like:
    Front:
    sap, lotus fan, forward momentum, concealed strike, mage light, - incap

Back:
    cloak, blessing of restoration, fear, healing ward, merciless resolve, - resto ulti

Not too sure how I can improve on this, maybe back bar sap & front bar fear?
    Edited by kaithuzar on January 22, 2018 10:03PM
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2 monster helms

could work i think

i have with this char a bruisy playstile in mind. so either heavy armour or a defensive monster set. since light passives are so desireable i tend to be a pirate^^

also im playing no cp only and therefore grothar is really nothing over max 1500 per tick^^

i dont think zaan will be the best choice because its getting nerved in todays pts and even i want to be a little bit bruisy, i have to hide and go out of danger verry often.

that would result into a miss of zaans dmg output i asume

im actually think zaan is more of a magdk or mele mplar monster set. but even on my mplar i really like the pirate one

it's definitely easier imo to just throw on a monster helm like pirate or chudan and have success
    I don't really know what's bis (best in slot) b/c i'm bad at math
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    axium is an interesting choice when its getting fixed with the class heal issue. not only for mageblade
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abstraqt wrote: »
    Few highlights from the big ps4 EU dueling torny which was hosted last night, it showcases my current build of 5 necro 3 willpower & a monster set of your choice, I had to follow the torny rules so couldn't use any damaging monster sets :)

These fights were against some very good players so it proves magicka nb can still be very competitive with basic gear.

Thought I'd post this here if anyone was looking for some gameplay of a high end magicka NB build, this is just one of my set ups I like to use

https://youtu.be/15dzrg_9lBM

Sorry mate, no offense, but that's not "high end gameplay" by my opinion.
    To me, that's "standard", weaving a pve dps style rotation in a duel...everyone does that/has done that.
    High end would be killing & surviving with a minimum of 2-3 opponents on you. At least confusing/juke/kite them as a joke if they are too strong all at once.

That sorc in the first fight made me lol. I don't think he had a single cc. But I agree there are a ton of good duelist out there, the ones that stand out and are the "high end players" are the ones that go into cyro and 1vx people like it's their job.... well it might just be their job "glares at streamers for killing me live stream"
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After reading through this thread it's become pretty apparent to me that magblade needs class access to at least one of the following:

1. A burst heal
    2. Snare removal (or suppression)

Magblade is hamstrung by needing to rely on resto for a burst heal (frankly a crappy one anyway), and 2H for snare removal.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    akray21 wrote: »
    After reading through this thread it's become pretty apparent to me that magblade needs class access to at least one of the following:

1. A burst heal

Magblade is hamstrung by needing to rely on resto for a burst heal (frankly a crappy one anyway), and 2H for snare removal.

I’m hoping the fix for healing ward makes it at least a little better
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2 monster helms

could work i think

Pirate skelly is a great set for melee magblade actually.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

2 monster helms

could work i think

Why give up Zaan for anything?
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

2 monster helms

could work i think

Apparently its getting nerfed on the next pts.
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

2 monster helms

could work i think

Well I do hope it'll get nerfed a bit, at least :/
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭

1. A burst heal

Either cloak, shade or mirage should have snare immunity built in, I can imagine a lot of crying happening when you can't just dizzying swing/gapclose/talons/whatever else us into the ground 10/10 times but I think it's our only truly unfair weakness IMO.

Lacking burst heal shouldn't be a problem (in theory) because the class has so much gradual self healing, it's just like how a sorc lacks a spammable. However, battle spirit completely neuters that in practice, so we're SOL.

Magblade are still a very strong class in the hands of a skilled player, but lets be honest, most other classes have builds that are strong in the hands of a chimp with down syndrome. This wouldn't be asking for too much or make us OP at all in my opinion.
    Edited by Vermintide on January 22, 2018 9:21PM
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    (derp)
    Edited by Vermintide on January 22, 2018 9:20PM
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    so... i praise wrobel actually for the first time to make assessins will finaly unclunky :)
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

1. A burst heal

Although I agree, we must be careful here. If magblade has access to these, so will the stamblades.
    Edited by Knootewoot on January 23, 2018 7:56AM
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so... i praise wrobel actually for the first time to make assessins will finaly unclunky :)

It's not so clunky anymore. Used to be far worse when it had a cast time, nowadays it's totally fine tbf.