Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Changing Breton racial passives

SilverWF
SilverWF
✭✭✭✭✭
Bretons are mentioned to be magicka class, but they do not have mag regen, nor spell damage boost.
So, what if:

Add Mag regen to Gift of Magnus passive: Increases Max Magicka by 4/7/10% and Magicka regen by 2/4/6%
This change would help to any mag role and class, because in the current meta, mag regen is a king. And 3% cost reduction from last passive is much lower, than boost to regen, that another races have, if calculate it in the real fight conditions.

OR

Add Mag damage boost to Magicka Mastery passive: Reduces the Magicka cost of your abilities by 1/2/3% and increases your Magic damage by 1/2/3%
(Note: Magic damage - is a separate type of spell damage, like Fire, Ice etc.)
We already have 2 races focused on the elemental damage - Altmer and Dunmer, that is preferable to use with mag-DD Sorc and DK. But we do not have any race, that can be best for mag-DD Templar and NB. This can fix it.

OR

Passive Spell Resistance turns into Resistant passive: Increases Spell Resistance by 1320 / 2640 / 3960 and Critical Resistance by 250 / 500 / 750
Since Bretons are have some tanky passive and Alliance points gain from 1st passive, why not improve their tankyness in the PVP by adding some natural Critical resistance? This looks pretty organic and will allow Bretons to save some points in the CP and invest it somewhere else.

What do you think?

Previously, there was a thread without poll
Edited by SilverWF on June 26, 2017 2:07AM
  • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
  • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
  • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
  • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!

Changing Breton racial passives 188 votes

Yes - for additional Mag regen
19%
Zardaynedelarb14_ESOPseron_WyrdMadyNifty2gIts_AlexisTanis-StormbinderVictoria_MarquisHoushikiMorimizoBouldercleavewesley41PersonofsecretsGabaloLileyAnthofromOrsiniumPink_ViolinzHoloYoitsuTheValar85Athymhormia 36 votes
Yes - for Mag damage bonus
26%
vailjohn_ESOMoloch1514faerigirlCaligamy_ESOIllumous7788b14_ESOOsteosThe_SpAwNstatic_rechargeNicko_LpsBasksSilverWFFlameheartbottleofsyrupAhPook_Is_HereEC_RobEgoRushThe_AurorCîanainimbli 49 votes
Yes - for Critical resistance
3%
vassilijElhananRajajshkaMinnoHEBREWHAMMERRRHaggian 6 votes
Yes - for something else (would explain in comments)
6%
Jitterbugola.wilhelmssonb16_ESOkojoupieratsosStormWylfAnhedonieAnkael07dro_rasecAsardesSilverIce58CastaLyronKay1Thannazzar 13 votes
Not - I can explain why (in comments)
27%
ImryllLightspeedflashb14_ESOTryxusidkstarkerealmAbsalonSpacemonkeySheeyF7sus4Ragnaroek93RomoSarevoccTrillinI_killed_VivecpaulsimonpsCTSColdme_mingBigevilpeterRunsCaptainBeerDude 52 votes
Not - I can't explain why, just not
17%
Acrolasrudimentxb14_ESONemesis7884zippo_taylorb16_ESOLauranaehollywoodmertustaForTheRealmadriant1978Allu07neb18_ESOSanTii.92ChickensteinFuzubugreyloxRustyfish101xylenaWeesacsNeirymnJuhiz85BenzZos 32 votes
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I actually like all 3. Good ideas.
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jitterbug wrote: »
    I actually like all 3. Good ideas.
    I'm afraid, that even if it happens (that I really doubt) Bretons would jump from the bottom to the OP :D
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • Sheey
    Sheey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Polls on this forum doesn't matter, even if it needs a change, it won't happen. Simple because this forum isn't a tool for the developers. Developers of Zenimax deciting their decitions by the lore and taking their own experience, as point what needs changed and what doesn't.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Breton passives are fine as is.

Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gut combat and defense passives from race choice. Have the race grant small bonuses to resource max/regen/reduction and then take all the combat/defensive/misc. passives and tie them into lifestyle choices that the player can choose.
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheey wrote: »
    Polls on this forum doesn't matter, even if it needs a change, it won't happen. Simple because this forum isn't a tool for the developers. Developers of Zenimax deciting their decitions by the lore and taking their own experience, as point what needs changed and what doesn't.

This

Bretons always have been defensive Spellcasters in TES games:
    "Bretons hail from the province of High Rock. You are part of a tall, fair-skinned people, highly intelligent and willful. Magic seems to infuse the very being of the Breton people. As a race, they are more resistant to the effects of hostile magic than any other group, and thus are excellent in all arcane arts." - Description from Daggerfall

As such, they have a similar playstyle in this game: Increased Spell Resist, Reduced Spell Cost and Max Magicka Increase.

With these passives, Bretons make fine healers and Magicka Tanks while still being a solid race for PvP.

If they do need anything, I would suggest to raise the Spell Cost Reduction just a little bit
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Polls in the forums are merely entertainment value and offer Zos not useful information about how the game population actually thinks about any given topic. Basically just an exercise with no actual value.

Bretons have magicka cost reduction rather than regen, max magicka and spell resist which it is good to offer a choice for damage reduction.

Magicka regen cannot be added to Gift of Magnus, as pointed out in OP's previous thread on the subject, it is a racial passive in at least one other class as max magika ONLY. Further CANNOT combine racial passives to get more passives. That is so OBVIOUS it really should not need to be said.

Besides the fact it is good to have some classes that have a little bit of damage reduction. Offers more choice rather than merely extremely minor variations of what is already available which is really all this poll is looking at.
    Edited by idk on June 10, 2017 6:43PM
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton are fine.

We'll see a nerf to Altmer passives long before any of these ideas are put on the table.
    signing off
  • Axoinus
    Axoinus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to balance adjustments, ZOS culture seems to prefer the nerf approach rather than the buff approach. I'm not complaining or being negative, just stating what I've seen.

With that said, your ideas are valid. But not likely to be considered.

The crit resistance would not make sense. My understanding is that there is no critical strikes in PvE. So would be worthless there. But they would instantly become the PvP meta. Crit resistance in PvP would be OP.

• Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are roles outside DPS and in those role, certain races excel over others

Magic DPS
    Altmer/Dunmer
    Healer
    Breton/Argonian/Altmer
    Magic Tank
    Breton/Argonian/Dunmer

Why is this so hard to get? Why does everything HAVE to be DPS oriented? Even the suggestion for crit resistance is just a veiled attempt at upping Breton Damage, granted a very poor attempt since crit resistance is Red CP and Damage is Blue CP while Regen is green, so even if you move CP points around, Red tree is mostly defensive with little to do with offense or sustain, outside Unchained and a few other CP bonuses.
    Argonian forever
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bretons are fine as they are, strong passives all around really.
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As it goes they are one of the better mag races but all races need somewhat of a makeover
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Putting aside the argument that damage and resources shouldn't come from racials (just my opinion), breton are a potent defensive magicka class and we'll established in lore as being so. The fill a game play and story niche admirably.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just go alter or dumner for dps.

Breton is good for heals and good in PvP (if you want a tankier toon).

And your third option makes no sense. How would putting less CP in crit resist mean more in damage or recovery? They're separate trees.
    Edited by Brrrofski on June 10, 2017 8:21PM
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka regen cannot be added to Gift of Magnus, as pointed out in OP's previous thread on the subject, it is a racial passive in at least one other class as max magika ONLY. Further CANNOT combine racial passives to get more passives. That is so OBVIOUS it really should not need to be said.
    Is it hard to get, that I don't care of the name of the passive? let they create another one - it isn't hard at all.
    There are roles outside DPS and in those role, certain races excel over others

Magic DPS
    Altmer/Dunmer
    Healer
    Breton/Argonian/Altmer
    Magic Tank
    Breton/Argonian/Dunmer

Why is this so hard to get?

[snip]

Best healer is Argonian, not Breton or (just lol here) Altmer. Why not, i.e. Redguard tho?

Magic tank? WTF is this? Do they exists somewhere outside of your dreams? Anyone of you would be happy to see a "magic tank" in the trials? Or just pledges? Not me, really.
    Normal tanks (like my Nord-DK) have overcapped resists without any of racials passives.

[Edit for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Bill on June 11, 2017 1:10PM
  • HoloYoitsu
    HoloYoitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - for additional Mag regen
    Breton and Altmer are not "basically equivalent", comparing Breton vs Altmer:
    • Breton cost reduction passive comes out to about an avg of 104 cheaper cost.
    • Breton spell resist comes out to about 6% less dmg taken from spells.
    However
    • Breton cost reduction does not scale well, in fact it gets worse the more sources of cost reduction you stack (light armor/sets/cost reduction enchants). This is because cost reduction as a whole has increasing diminishing returns as you stack more.
    • Altmer 9% mag regen on the other hand, scales better the more you stack. This passive is and always has been stronger than Breton's cost reduction.
    • Breton spell resist only has limited usefulness, as the majority of magicka builds rely on shields.
    • Meanwhile Altmer elemental dmg is useful for all builds.

The best way to even things out while maintaining the racial flavors would be to give a slight increase to Breton's cost reduction, and/or add something like 4% reduced dmg taken on shields to their spell resist passive (mirroring Altmer's 4% dmg boost).
  • dro_rasec
    dro_rasec
    ✭✭✭
    Breton is the magicka tank, it needs a Healt bonus
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HoloYoitsu wrote: »
    Breton and Altmer are not "basically equivalent", comparing Breton vs Altmer:
    • Breton cost reduction passive comes out to about an avg of 104 cheaper cost.
    • Breton spell resist comes out to about 6% less dmg taken from spells.
    However
    • Breton cost reduction does not scale well, in fact it gets worse the more sources of cost reduction you stack (light armor/sets/cost reduction enchants). This is because cost reduction as a whole has increasing diminishing returns as you stack more.
    • Altmer 9% mag regen on the other hand, scales better the more you stack. This passive is and always has been stronger than Breton's cost reduction.
    • Breton spell resist only has limited usefulness, as the majority of magicka builds rely on shields.
    • Meanwhile Altmer elemental dmg is useful for all builds.

The best way to even things out while maintaining the racial flavors would be to give a slight increase to Breton's cost reduction, and/or add something like 4% reduced dmg taken on shields to their spell resist passive (mirroring Altmer's 4% dmg boost).

The benefit of the High Elf Spell Charge passive was greatly reduced in 2.5.5 (PC patch notes)
    Fixed an issue where percentage bonuses to the same type of stat (Magicka Recovery, Max Magicka, etc.) would stack multiplicatively rather than additively. This will result in some stats changing slightly (generally going down).

That issue was the way it worked in the game since day one. It was merely a manner Zos worked to reduce max stats and sustain. Even Zos acknowledges the results are less.

A Sorc High Elf will not receive full benefit as a result due to having Capacitor passive increasing their magicka regen by 10%. Add in Vampire and the benefits of having all that became notably less after 2.5.5.

To further add to this, outside of PvP, anyone really interested in their damage is not going to stack regen. It is a DPS loss and weakens the argument that the Spell Charge passive is strong when stacking regen since it is a weaker path to go to begin with (though anyone's prerogative).
    Edited by idk on June 10, 2017 8:56PM
  • The_Red_Viper
    The_Red_Viper
    ✭✭✭
    Fix Argonians first, then complain about buffing perfectly fine races.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fix Argonians first, then complain about buffing perfectly fine races.

Argonians Rock. Considered BiS for tanking with good max health and best resource management, especially with the U14 changes.
  • Sheey
    Sheey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Argonians are in a much better spot as breton lol
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The cost reduction passive should be slightly buffed from 1/2/3% to 1/3/5%
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Rygonix
    Rygonix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When ZoS does another look over of the racial passives for every race I can possibly see some changes happening. But just one race? I cannot agree with it.
    Ceres Des Mortem-Dark Elf Templar, EP
    PC-NA
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need for a change
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. Bretons should not be more powerful in damage output compared to Dunmer or Altmer. Bretons are more defensive based compared to other two main magicka races, and it is good thing. If all races would be more or less the same, there would be no point at all.
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is an example of NO valid point:
    Enslaved wrote: »
    No. Bretons should not be more powerful in damage output compared to Dunmer or Altmer. Bretons are more defensive based compared to other two main magicka races, and it is good thing. If all races would be more or less the same, there would be no point at all.
    Adding +3% magic damage would NOT make Bretons more powerful than High or Dark elves. Not even equals to them.
    Also, you are completely ignored +6% mag regen or +1500 crit.res options - probably, this would greatly increase breton's damage output too. :D
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bretons Should be left the way they are, also, anyone can be a tank.

Stamina types can go with the inner beast morph from the undaunted skill line or use puncture & its morphs from the one-hand & shield skill line to taunt enemies & draw their attention away from the healers & DPS players.

Magicka types on the other hand can do the same thing except with inner fire instead of inner beast & all they need to taunt foes is a heavy attack from a frost staff as well as the respective passive.

Either way, it is not always about the race, it is about what class you use with that race that determines the outcome on the battlefield.
    "When the human race learns to read the language of symbolism, a great veil will fall from the eyes of men." ~Manly P. Hall
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3% cost reduction is just as good as 9% more regen. Regen also has reverse diminishing returns, the more you have, the more you'll suffer from the siphoner passive that your enemy uses on you.

Maximum magicka is mirrored so the only thing left to compare is spell resistance vs 4% more elemental damage.

Altmer's elemental damage boost does NOT apply to anything that has a 'magic damage' tooltip indicator. More than half skills that most sorcerers use, will be doing 'magic damage' and NOT benefit from the Altmer passive. Example are crystal fragments and curse. Two of the most often used sorcerer abilities, totally not benefiting from elemental damage boosting.

Therefore, you should be able to immediately realize that in practice, you do not get a full 4% damage boost, since a lot of your attacks won't be benefiting from it. An occasional elemental ultimate with a few other skills, but it's safe to say that at least one third (or even half) of your skills won't be benefiting from this passive.

Compare that to Breton's spell resistance, which also only applies to magic attacks and when you're out of shields, it's a fair trade and you pick whatever you prefer.

Example, for a magicka templar that doesn't rely on damage shields, Breton is the better choice since you will be benefiting from the spell resistance passive and further stacking it with templar's passive as well. You will also pair cost reduction with something like channeled focus that's an independent additional mag regen so to speak.

For a sorcerer you will have some extra magic damage reduction and Altmer will have a slight elemental boost. Totally fair if you ask me.

The passives are balanced even though you feel like they're not. In fact, in a sorc vs sorc fight, Breton is probably going to be better off than his Altmer opponent. The magic damage reduction applies to all magical attacks.
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I said in the other thread I like the 3% bonus to magicka damage. I personally feel that there should not be a " best in slot" go to race. I think that each should have pro and cons. Right now Altmer is the go to race for magicka dps ( aside from DK) because the Bretons passives are lacking not because it was meant to be that way or Bretons are supposed to be tanky. They merely get relegated to those rolls because the Altmer is the better choice.

Giving Bretons a bonus to magicka damage would not make them better than Altmer but it would give players more options. Do I want to boost my magicka damage or my elemental damage more? More options is a good thing.

DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lore.
This discussion has been closed.