The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Changing Breton racial passives

• Nyghthowler
    Nyghthowler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though it's not an option in this poll, I'm voting cheese.
    I'm not prejudiced; I hate everyone equally !
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fix Argonians first, then complain about buffing perfectly fine races.

Argonians are one of the best choices for tanks and healers atm.
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - for Mag damage bonus
    3% cost reduction is just as good as 9% more regen.
    Even if I respect your videos, you are totally wrong here.
    Anything else you said is well known (for me) stuff.

Hey, correct me if I wrong, you has never recommend Bretons as a good choice for Sorcs or just any(!) mag builds, right? Where did you lied then: here or there? :D
    "Breton is fine, high elf is better because you can benefit from using different elemental attacks such as destro ultimate, meteor, destro skills etc. "
    Who said that, how do you think?
    Edited by SilverWF on June 11, 2017 4:57PM
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SilverWF wrote: »
    3% cost reduction is just as good as 9% more regen.
    Even if I respect your videos, you are totally wrong here.
    Anything else you said is well known (for me) stuff.

Hey, correct me if I wrong, you has never recommend Bretons as a good choice for Sorcs or just any(!) mag builds, right? Where did you lied then: here or there? :D
    "Breton is fine, high elf is better because you can benefit from using different elemental attacks such as destro ultimate, meteor, destro skills etc. "
    Who said that, how do you think?

Whoa, take it easy on the accusations, you don't come off as very friendly. I never lied anywhere, I recommend Bretons all the time, mostly for a magicka templar, and my magplar was always a Breton too. I also say that in a sorc vs sorc fight, I'd take Breton passives over High Elf ones, because that 4% elemental boost is going to get negated by Breton's (approx.) 6% overall magic damage reduction when we're talking about hits taken to HP.

I'm sorry to say this my friend, but you need to sit down and think about these two races and go a bit deeper theorycrafting around them. Bretons are fine and their cost reduction passive is just as good (hey, I have over 10% in siphoner and you'll always get tagged with light/heavy attacks so that's a lot of lost regen, including the 9% Altmer recovery).

Now take it easy, no one's attacking you here, there are just people that disagree, such as myself, that think Breton passives are just as good, and often in certain situations with certain classes, even better.

And if you respect me, you won't ever again accuse me of lying, you'll apologize for that nonsense. :)
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not - I can explain why (in comments)
    I like how some pools are biased and rigged. If you want the change - it's you who provide arguments proving your claim. If you ask why people want to stay close to the classic lore (Bretons being defensive casters in TES series and also in ESO) - it's just dumb to ask "why/prove why?". It's not their opinion - it's a fact about what Bretons are in the universe.

Edited by F7sus4 on June 11, 2017 11:55PM
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to say this my friend, but you need to sit down and think about these two races and go a bit deeper theorycrafting around them.
    I've already posted a lot of calculations.
    To have his cost reduction bonus, Breton need to constantly(!) cast his abilities. Even a little pause and all advantage would gone completely. Yes, every 1,5 sec you need to fire some skill. This is like a DPS test on dummies: you'll have your numbers only if your rotation is perfect. If you f..d up somewhere with only rotation - DPS numbers would go down pretty fast.
    While constantly casting, you need to cast skills with~3k cost to have a cost reduction ~equals to 7-8% additional regen.
    Furthermore, constantly casting means wasting even more mana. Wasting mana is not a best way to save it or regen, right?

Altmer don't need to do anything to keep his regen bonus - it is always with him.
    It hard to imagine of any DD who would survive long enough under attacks of several enemies, to allow this CP regen debuff make a noticeable damage, really. Maybe it's an option against tanky specs, but not against true DDs.
    And, the best part here, Bretons are not immune to that debuff too - so if both debuffed, Altmer would still have his regen advantage.

And as really good player, you just can not did not understand that or didn't know that. And if you understand and know this - what is left?

That quote - is your words under... NB PVP build video. So you recommend Altmers even for NBs, who do not have any elemental attacks at all.
    F7sus4 wrote: »
    If you want the change - it's you who provide arguments proving your claim.
    If you ask why people want to stay close to the classic lore (Bretons being defensive casters in TES series and also in ESO)
    All my points in the 1st post, it is wrote with italic font - did you read it?
    The most arguments against it are "Bretons are fine". This is not valid point, sorry.
    Also, there is 1 defensive option, 1 offensive and 1 universal - if you dislike offensive one, because of LORE (yeah, that alliances are made by LORE, really, Loreguards, lol) and want to keep Bretons defensive, then - by common logic - you must choose defensive option? But you are against it too, also as against universal one - and here is without any arguments, kinda "just NOOOOOOO!"
    Edited by SilverWF on June 12, 2017 9:41AM
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to say this my friend, but you need to sit down and think about these two races and go a bit deeper theorycrafting around them.
    To have his cost reduction bonus, Breton need to constantly(!) cast his abilities. Even a little pause and all advantage would gone completely. Yes, every 1,5 sec you need to fire some skill. This is like a DPS test on dummies: you'll have your numbers only if your rotation is perfect. If you f..d up somewhere with only rotation - DPS numbers would go down pretty fast.
    While constantly casting, you need to cast skills with~3k cost to have a cost reduction ~equals to 7-8% additional regen.
    Furthermore, constantly casting means wasting even more mana. Wasting mana is not a best way to save it or regen, right?

Altmer don't need to do anything to keep his regen bonus - it is always with him.
    It hard to imagine of any DD who would survive long enough under attacks of several enemies, to allow this CP regen debuff make a noticeable damage, really. Maybe it's an option against tanky specs, but not against true DDs.
    And, the best part here, Bretons are not immune to that debuff too - so if both debuffed, Altmer would still have his regen advantage.

And as really good player, you just can not did not understand that or didn't know that. And if you understand and know this - what is left?

That quote - is your words under... NB PVP build video. So you recommend Altmers even for NBs, who do not have any elemental attacks at all.
    If you ask why people want to stay close to the classic lore (Bretons being defensive casters in TES series and also in ESO)
    The most arguments against it are "Bretons are fine". This is not valid point, sorry.
    Also, there is 1 defensive option, 1 offensive and 1 universal - if you dislike offensive one, because of LORE (yeah, that alliances are made by LORE, really, Loreguards, lol) and want to keep Bretons defensive, then - by common logic - you must choose defensive option? But you are against it too, also as against universal one - and here is without any arguments, kinda "just NOOOOOOO!"

I recommend Altmer because most people lean towards them for a slight DPS boost, even though it's not there most of the time in practice, I understand that and I still go with it, simply because I think it doesn't matter in the long run, it's not really much of a difference in terms of sustain and/or damage. I hope you understand now.

But in my opinion Bretons are just as good and if you want to go with Breton on any mag char, go ahead, you will be totally fine, that's my bottom line.

So for me, the 3% cost reduction is just as good nowadays as the 9% recovery, at least from a PVP perspective. I see no difference sustain-wise. I am also very used to using both lich and seducer in my setups and I like them both. Some people swear by one or the other, I personally think they're both great and don't care that much, it only depends on what pieces of gear you're going for, whether it's jewelry, crafted (specific style? :)) etc. It's all good in the end.

For a magicka templar, I will always recommend a Breton, 100% tops Altmer, every single time in almost all builds. Even on a destro setup with a bit of elemental damage (vampire's bane, destro ulty, whatever).

So don't worry too much what I'm saying in my build videos, if you notice I almost always note that any magicka race will do, and it really will. And I'm telling you here that I'd have no problems swapping all those Altmer passives for the Breton ones, on ALL of my magicka builds. ;)

In fact, now that I think about it, I'd swap my Altmer passives for the Breton ones, if I could just keep my character looking as an Altmer (I didn't make my sorc Altmer because of the passives, I wanted to be an Altmer and I'd be one even if the passives were totally bad).

Let's just agree to disagree and let's have some real math geniuses post some concrete proof about what's better or not, if they have time of course. I said what I had to say and now I'm done. :)

p.s. if you're fighting a mirrored sorc vs sorc setup, the Breton one will be better off than any other magicka race. That spell resistance bonus will negate that 4% elemental boost, and then some magic damage overall. You can hit an incredible amount of spell resistance in light armor as a Breton. That's a good advantage when fighting other magicka opponents.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes - for something else (would explain in comments)
    Breton Templar 5L/1M/1H with no reinforced or nirnhoned has between 23.3-24.5K spell resistance from class and racial bonuses, depending on gear slots weight, when buffed by focus. That's 70-75% of the resistance cap, providing 35-38% actual mitigation. So you are only receiving 12-15% more magic damage than a resistance capped a tank takes - people don't even run resist capped tanks in any case. It's a very useful passive that affects survival. A DD who is dead will be pulling 0 DPS and Templar has optimal DPS in melee range which exposes you more than a ranged DD as sorcerer. So that passive is really important. IMO Breton is best for Templar in both PvP and PvE, with Dunmer and Altmer tied for 2nd.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would give them % increased Magicka return from heavy attacks.
    Playing since beta...
  • joaaocaampos
    joaaocaampos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Increasing Magic Damage by 1/2/3% is a perfect thing! I have not thought about it! High Elfs and Dark Elfs are focused on Elemental Damage. The Bretons could very well focus on Magic Damage, which would make a lot of sense!
  • Absalon
    Absalon
    ✭✭✭
    Bretons are fine the way they are.
    They're not a damage dealer concept, if you want this go for altmer or dunmer.
    No changes need it.
    CP 810 (PC-NA)
    Harnak - Magplar Healer (PVE)
    Gavin - Magsorc DPS (PVE)
    Manthys - Magplar DPS (PVP)
    Adrya - Stamblade DPS (PVP)
    Targesh - Stamplar DPS (PVP)
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    There have been multiple comments removed for being rude and spiraling into flaming. In the previous thread on this topic which was closed, it was advised to avoid the discussion getting heated. This means not attacking another player if their opinion is different from your own. We are leaving the discussion open, but if the thread continues to get out of hand it will be shut down.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So for me, the 3% cost reduction is just as good nowadays as the 9% recovery, at least from a PVP perspective. I see no difference sustain-wise.
    Please, show us your calculations, that were allowed you to say that.
    Asardes wrote: »
    Breton Templar 5L/1M/1H with no reinforced or nirnhoned has between 23.3-24.5K spell resistance from class and racial bonuses, depending on gear slots weight, when buffed by focus. That's 70-75% of the resistance cap, providing 35-38% actual mitigation. So you are only receiving 12-15% more magic damage than a resistance capped a tank takes - people don't even run resist capped tanks in any case. It's a very useful passive that affects survival. A DD who is dead will be pulling 0 DPS and Templar has optimal DPS in melee range which exposes you more than a ranged DD as sorcerer. So that passive is really important. IMO Breton is best for Templar in both PvP and PvE, with Dunmer and Altmer tied for 2nd.
    Emmm... and what is your suggestion for buffing Bretons?
    Increasing Magic Damage by 1/2/3% is a perfect thing! I have not thought about it! High Elfs and Dark Elfs are focused on Elemental Damage. The Bretons could very well focus on Magic Damage, which would make a lot of sense!
    Yes, I feel the same, man! It looks so organic - making Bretons a bit focused on magic damage. Not the same strong like High or Dark elves, just a bit.
    Absalon wrote: »
    Bretons are fine the way they are.
    They're not a damage dealer concept, if you want this go for altmer or dunmer.
    And, then, you are up for defensive or universal buff of Breton's passives or?..
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    There have been multiple comments removed for being rude and spiraling into flaming. In the previous thread on this topic which was closed, it was advised to avoid the discussion getting heated. This means not attacking another player if their opinion is different from your own. We are leaving the discussion open, but if the thread continues to get out of hand it will be shut down.
    Yes, you are right, sorry.
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not good at math, but I never noticed any sustain issues with my Breton so I'm pretty sure it's close enough to the Altmer's 9% recovery bonus. If it was worse, I would have swapped to Altmer. So based on my gameplay 'feel', they're both good and I'm sure your sustain will not be vastly different with any of those two.

As for elemental boost, that stuff is countered by Breton's overall magic damage reduction and looks pretty balanced to me.
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka regen cannot be added to Gift of Magnus, as pointed out in OP's previous thread on the subject, it is a racial passive in at least one other class as max magika ONLY. Further CANNOT combine racial passives to get more passives. That is so OBVIOUS it really should not need to be said.
    Is it hard to get, that I don't care of the name of the passive? let they create another one - it isn't hard at all.
    There are roles outside DPS and in those role, certain races excel over others

Magic DPS
    Altmer/Dunmer
    Healer
    Breton/Argonian/Altmer
    Magic Tank
    Breton/Argonian/Dunmer

Why is this so hard to get?

[snip]

Best healer is Argonian, not Breton or (just lol here) Altmer. Why not, i.e. Redguard tho?

Magic tank? WTF is this? Do they exists somewhere outside of your dreams? Anyone of you would be happy to see a "magic tank" in the trials? Or just pledges? Not me, really.
    Normal tanks (like my Nord-DK) have overcapped resists without any of racials passives.

[Edit for baiting]

Here's a picture of a Magicka tank: the Nightblade Sap Tank. This bad boy got me thru DLC dungeons, vDSA and vet trials. Took him to Cyro as well, following the guide from KenaPK.

Plenty of other examples too, and the Warden these days makes an even better one. Still no Ice staff tho, Sword & Board is still the way to go. And yes, he's a Breton

Best healer is both of those races, Argonian and Breton. Argonians provide stronger heals indeed, but Bretons have better sustain and a Spell Resist passive which makes them just as great.

I recommend Altmer because most people lean towards them for a slight DPS boost, even though it's not there most of the time in practice, I understand that and I still go with it, simply because I think it doesn't matter in the long run, it's not really much of a difference in terms of sustain and/or damage. I hope you understand now.

But in my opinion Bretons are just as good and if you want to go with Breton on any mag char, go ahead, you will be totally fine, that's my bottom line.

So for me, the 3% cost reduction is just as good nowadays as the 9% recovery, at least from a PVP perspective. I see no difference sustain-wise. I am also very used to using both lich and seducer in my setups and I like them both. Some people swear by one or the other, I personally think they're both great and don't care that much, it only depends on what pieces of gear you're going for, whether it's jewelry, crafted (specific style? :)) etc. It's all good in the end.

For a magicka templar, I will always recommend a Breton, 100% tops Altmer, every single time in almost all builds. Even on a destro setup with a bit of elemental damage (vampire's bane, destro ulty, whatever).

So don't worry too much what I'm saying in my build videos, if you notice I almost always note that any magicka race will do, and it really will. And I'm telling you here that I'd have no problems swapping all those Altmer passives for the Breton ones, on ALL of my magicka builds. ;)

In fact, now that I think about it, I'd swap my Altmer passives for the Breton ones, if I could just keep my character looking as an Altmer (I didn't make my sorc Altmer because of the passives, I wanted to be an Altmer and I'd be one even if the passives were totally bad).

Let's just agree to disagree and let's have some real math geniuses post some concrete proof about what's better or not, if they have time of course. I said what I had to say and now I'm done. :)

p.s. if you're fighting a mirrored sorc vs sorc setup, the Breton one will be better off than any other magicka race. That spell resistance bonus will negate that 4% elemental boost, and then some magic damage overall. You can hit an incredible amount of spell resistance in light armor as a Breton. That's a good advantage when fighting other magicka opponents.

So basically, if the class relies more on Magic Damage skills (like MagPlar, MagBlade and MagDen), it boils down to which race has the biggest amount of useful passives. Not saying the Altmer Elemental Damage is useless, but it doesn't really provide an advantage for those classes, whereas every Breton passives does
    Edited by Tryxus on June 12, 2017 11:32PM
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not good at math, but I never noticed any sustain issues with my Breton so I'm pretty sure it's close enough to the Altmer's 9% recovery bonus. If it was worse, I would have swapped to Altmer. So based on my gameplay 'feel', they're both good and I'm sure your sustain will not be vastly different with any of those two.

As for elemental boost, that stuff is countered by Breton's overall magic damage reduction and looks pretty balanced to me.

The Bretton has been considered best for sustain by theorycrafters for a long time. Considering the reduced benefit of multiple % increases of magicka/stamina returns that occurred with Shadows of the Hist DLC, patch 2.5.5 where
    Fixed an issue where percentage bonuses to the same type of stat (Magicka Recovery, Max Magicka, etc.) would stack multiplicatively rather than additively. This will result in some stats changing slightly (generally going down).

I have not seen anything with 3.0.5 that would change this. Especially since the only other cost reduction most players use is from Light Armor passives which is also a % cost reduction.

This is @Asayre formula for cost reduction, which I believe is unchanged since he posted it for PTS 2.5

Spell Cost = (base * (1-Magician) - Flat Cost Reduction) * (1 - % Cost Reduction)

With that formula, unless the player is using something with a flat cost reduction such as a glyph the benefit from % cost reduction is not reduced.
    Edited by idk on June 13, 2017 12:50AM
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not good at math, but I never noticed any sustain issues with my Breton so I'm pretty sure it's close enough to the Altmer's 9% recovery bonus. If it was worse, I would have swapped to Altmer. So based on my gameplay 'feel'
    Excuse me, but I've calculated it and (in Sorc case) 3% cost damage reduction equals to ~ 6% additional regen. For another classes there will be pretty the same, I'm sure.
    And I have a "feel" that my sustain is not so good. More than that, I need to put some regen glyphs on my jewelry. Instead of of extremely needed (for Breton) Spell damage ones.
    Tryxus wrote: »
    Here's a picture of a Magicka tank: the Nightblade Sap Tank. This bad boy got me thru DLC dungeons, vDSA and vet trials.

So basically, if the class relies more on Magic Damage skills (like MagPlar, MagBlade and MagDen), it boils down to which race has the biggest amount of useful passives. Not saying the Altmer Elemental Damage is useless, but it doesn't really provide an advantage for those classes, whereas every Breton passives does
    30k HP, 20k Phys res, 26k spell res... Ok, got it, nothing wrong that I said before.

Both mag Templar and NB using Destro staff - there is only elemental skills. Both mag Templar and NB using monster sets - they all are elemental too. Yes, increasing crazy damage of Destro Ult or Valkyn proc - no, nothing special here, really.

It's been for a long time, that if you want to play mag-DD - choose Altmer or Dunmer, even for non-elemental classes. Enough of this.
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - for Critical resistance
    I'd take crit resist but really any buff would be welcomed. I think of Breton as the pvp mag race but it needs a tad more incentive. Extra damage I think may be OP. Maybe 5% cost reduction and the resistance passive applying flat to magic and physical damage. Just my two cents.
  • Bigevilpeter
    Bigevilpeter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bretons are fine the way that they are, they are effective as DPS and Healers. They are Not the best at anything but they can fit more roles than altmers who their damage passive if wasted if you are not a magika dps
  • CastaLyron
    CastaLyron
    ✭✭
    I think you are trying to make them look a bit too much like the altmer or dunmer with your suggestions. In that case why not just roll them instead?
    I think Breton is pretty fine, but spell resistance could maybe be buffed even more.
    In other TES games this was always the strongest perk of the Breton, sort of what defined them IMO.
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jitterbug wrote: »
    I actually like all 3. Good ideas.
    I'm afraid, that even if it happens (that I really doubt) Bretons would jump from the bottom to the OP :D

Wouldn't mind seeing this for once. So tired of altmer being the meta.
    Edited by LadyDestiny on June 13, 2017 1:00PM
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - for additional Mag regen
    I think all of the racials are getting out of hand. It's pigeon holing people into races they normally wouldn't play just because of stat increases. Not only that it has created this rigid system where if you want to flip over from mag to stamina or whatever you're then left holding the bill for a $30 race change just to try something different.

I voted for additional mag regen, if we're going to keep on this course, since the Breton's racials are second rate when compared to the altmer and dunmer.
    Edited by Zardayne on June 13, 2017 1:08PM
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not good at math, but I never noticed any sustain issues with my Breton so I'm pretty sure it's close enough to the Altmer's 9% recovery bonus. If it was worse, I would have swapped to Altmer. So based on my gameplay 'feel'
    Excuse me, but I've calculated it and (in Sorc case) 3% cost damage reduction equals to ~ 6% additional regen. For another classes there will be pretty the same, I'm sure.
    And I have a "feel" that my sustain is not so good. More than that, I need to put some regen glyphs on my jewelry. Instead of of extremely needed (for Breton) Spell damage ones.
    Tryxus wrote: »
    Here's a picture of a Magicka tank: the Nightblade Sap Tank. This bad boy got me thru DLC dungeons, vDSA and vet trials.

30k HP, 20k Phys res, 26k spell res... Ok, got it, nothing wrong that I said before.

Both mag Templar and NB using Destro staff - there is only elemental skills. Both mag Templar and NB using monster sets - they all are elemental too. Yes, increasing crazy damage of Destro Ult or Valkyn proc - no, nothing special here, really.

It's been for a long time, that if you want to play mag-DD - choose Altmer or Dunmer, even for non-elemental classes. Enough of this.

As irritated as you sound regarding the Atmer and Dunmer being the premier choices pushed on magica builds, stamina is no better. Redguard is over the top ridiculous, Khajit is pretty nuts as well, and then you got Bosmers with 21% regen! Poor Bosmer suffered with horrible racials for a long time so I'll forgive them though lol.

I think all of these racials need to be toned down..
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The Bretton has been considered best for sustain by theorycrafters for a long time. Considering the reduced benefit of multiple % increases of magicka/stamina returns that occurred with Shadows of the Hist DLC, patch 2.5.5 where
    Fixed an issue where percentage bonuses to the same type of stat (Magicka Recovery, Max Magicka, etc.) would stack multiplicatively rather than additively. This will result in some stats changing slightly (generally going down).

I have not seen anything with 3.0.5 that would change this. Especially since the only other cost reduction most players use is from Light Armor passives which is also a % cost reduction.

This is @Asayre formula for cost reduction, which I believe is unchanged since he posted it for PTS 2.5

Spell Cost = (base * (1-Magician) - Flat Cost Reduction) * (1 - % Cost Reduction)

With that formula, unless the player is using something with a flat cost reduction such as a glyph the benefit from % cost reduction is not reduced.

Yes.

And since my post was removed i will simply say that breton passives fill an important void for classes with high skill costs. It will never be changed.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crit resistance would align with the tankiness of the race. After all they are a hardy people that were conceived after humans were taken by snow-elves as slaves and "***".

They could also boost the reduction passive a tad too compensate for the fact they have no DMG boost (aside from mag pool boost) and no special way to boost mag return.

They could also give a passive where you gain mag on hits similar to harness mag shield. Would also align with the tankiness of the class instead of being DMG oriented. They could add a lighting resistance too, but crit sounds better since no other race has that bonus yet.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    Crit resistance would align with the tankiness of the race. After all they are a hardy people that were conceived after humans were taken by snow-elves as slaves and "***".

They could also boost the reduction passive a tad too compensate for the fact they have no DMG boost (aside from mag pool boost) and no special way to boost mag return.

They could also give a passive where you gain mag on hits similar to harness mag shield. Would also align with the tankiness of the class instead of being DMG oriented. They could add a lighting resistance too, but crit sounds better since no other race has that bonus yet.

Crit resistance is only useful in PvP. I don it think we have any racial passive that's only useful in PvP. It may not be a solid idea to change a passive to something specifically PvP related and it may be the reason no race has such a passive.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Crit resistance is only useful in PvP. I don it think we have any racial passive that's only useful in PvP. It may not be a solid idea to change a passive to something specifically PvP related and it may be the reason no race has such a passive.

Not swap but add (spell and crit). We do have passives like extra stealth DMG for wood elves that function better in PvP than in pve so including crit resistance would still have a precedent.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    HoloYoitsu wrote: »
    Breton and Altmer are not "basically equivalent", comparing Breton vs Altmer:
    • Breton cost reduction passive comes out to about an avg of 104 cheaper cost.
    • Breton spell resist comes out to about 6% less dmg taken from spells.
    However
    • Breton cost reduction does not scale well, in fact it gets worse the more sources of cost reduction you stack (light armor/sets/cost reduction enchants). This is because cost reduction as a whole has increasing diminishing returns as you stack more.
    • Altmer 9% mag regen on the other hand, scales better the more you stack. This passive is and always has been stronger than Breton's cost reduction.
    • Breton spell resist only has limited usefulness, as the majority of magicka builds rely on shields.
    • Meanwhile Altmer elemental dmg is useful for all builds.

The best way to even things out while maintaining the racial flavors would be to give a slight increase to Breton's cost reduction, and/or add something like 4% reduced dmg taken on shields to their spell resist passive (mirroring Altmer's 4% dmg boost).

So much this. While they're at it they can have the 'AP bonus' racial flavor passive...
  • TheValar85
    TheValar85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    to be honest it needs way more regen and way more damage buff
    GM Of The Lusty Argonian ERP
    GM Of THe Alessia Dynasty PVP Guild
    GM Of The Guardians Of MiddleEarth
    My Smiling Emperor Profile Picture: https://ibb.co/bsOM6n
  • Spurius_Lucilius
    Spurius_Lucilius
    ✭✭✭
    Third option is terrible, 1500 crit resist? That means 6 impen trait pieces!
    PC NA Casual/PVP
This discussion has been closed.