The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Blazing Spear Nerf

Ron_Burgundy_79
Ron_Burgundy_79
✭✭✭✭✭
@Wrobel

First of all, the blazing spear nerf was unnecessary. It was called a buff. Its far from that. The nerf was made even worse when we found out luminous wasnt fixed.

When can we expect luminous shards to be fixed? It's nearly impossible to solo play in pvp as a magplar. Until you make luminous shards a hard cc (not a disorient), solo magplars will essentially be forced to play as a blazing shield build or BoL spammer. I'm trying to make solo play work, but my templar "house" has turned into a cardboard box without my only reliable cc.

The templar community isn't happy with our current situation, and we would very much like an update on when this problem will be fixed.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not understand why the CC was removed. If they would have moved the solid stun to Luminous shards while increasing the dot on blazing it would have made more sense.
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not understand why the CC was removed. If they would have moved the solid stun to Luminous shards while increasing the dot on blazing it would have made more sense.

It looks like this change might actually be the final nail in the coffin for the solo magplar in pvp.
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im confused about this too because ive 1v1ed a few templars recently and im still getting stunned by blazing spears....
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭

because fixing what isn't broken seems to be some sort of obsession at zos, especially when it comes to templars.

meanwhile, simply opening a door or bar swapping is cyrodil is still pretty much rng dependent when the shtf. (and REALLY needs to be fixed)
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was no point to its removal I can think of . Sure would like it back . I don't ever recall any nerf blazing spear threads .
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Likely the same reason they nerfed curse then buffed curse...

No reason, no one asked for a curse change
    No one asked for a shard change.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Dread_Guy
    Dread_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that they acknowledged that luminous spear is not working, but still took away blazing spear's CC is just reprehensive. Shame on you @Wrobel
    "My name is Julius Decimus Heraclius, Guildmaster of the Scions of the Sun, Brigadier of the Covenant Army, loyal servant to the High King Emeric. Brother to a betrayed legion, son to a fallen empire. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." ---Julius Decimus Heraclius (Imperial Templar)
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that they acknowledged that luminous spear is not working, but still took away blazing spear's CC is just reprehensive. Shame on you @Wrobel

I completely agree. Luminous needs the same treatment that overload was given back when it wasn't working.

@Wrobel @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_KaiSchober
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich Lambert told us exactly why these changes were made. It had nothing to do what the community asked.
    1. He wanted the choice between Blazing and Luminous to be meaningful
    2. He wanted Templar DPS rotation to be similar.

I wouldn't hold your breath for Luminous's "fix" because it is working according to ZoS's mechanics. Disorients are supposed to break upon receiving damage. The only way they can "fix" luminous is to remove the disorient, which would be questionable because the disorient effect goes through block and is why many people took the morph in the first place.

Is anyone really surprised? Whoever makes the balance changes for Templars does not have any clue how to play one - just take a look at the Eclipse skill.

The problem we have is that Lambert and Wrobel both have Youtube clips where they are playing sorcerers, so when the community correctly identifies a terrible sorc change (i.e. Haunting Curse), they are quick to revert it while we templars, who made our displeasure known equally as loud, just have to eat nerfs.
  • Chronicburn
    Chronicburn
    ✭✭✭✭
    All these nerfs make it hard for a new player to chose what the hell to do ... seems whatever path looks good to play may be up next for the nerf axe :/
    Edited by Chronicburn on February 27, 2017 6:07AM
  • Dread_Guy
    Dread_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich Lambert told us exactly why these changes were made. It had nothing to do what the community asked.

I wouldn't hold your breath for Luminous's "fix" because it is working according to ZoS's mechanics. Disorients are supposed to break upon receiving damage. The only way they can "fix" luminous is to remove the disorient, which would be questionable because the disorient effect goes through block and is why many people took the morph in the first place.

Is anyone really surprised? Whoever makes the balance changes for Templars does not have any clue how to play one - just take a look at the Eclipse skill.

The problem we have is that Lambert and Wrobel both have Youtube clips where they are playing sorcerers, so when the community correctly identifies a terrible sorc change (i.e. Haunting Curse), they are quick to revert it while we templars, who made our displeasure known equally as loud, just have to eat nerfs.

Well after the change to blazing spear, the choice became even more one sided. It's still blazing spear for PvE and just drop it completely for PvP. Luminous still get absolutely no use in either mode and the fact that it goes through block is nullified by the staggering amounts of dots in PvP. Adds don't block often in PvE and the magicka return is very minor and doesn't stack up to the damage provided by blazing spear. It cant even beat blazing spear as synergy bait so DPS and tanks can proc alkosh/moon dancer/lunar bastion.

I kinda want to start a pole to see which ability is in a worse spot for a templar right now. Eclipse morphs or luminous shards
    "My name is Julius Decimus Heraclius, Guildmaster of the Scions of the Sun, Brigadier of the Covenant Army, loyal servant to the High King Emeric. Brother to a betrayed legion, son to a fallen empire. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." ---Julius Decimus Heraclius (Imperial Templar)
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All these nerfs make it hard for a new player to chose what the hell to do ... seems whatever path looks good to play may be up next for the nerf axe :/

Welcome to the world of MMOs... this happens in ALL of them. Typically one patch they nerf one class and buff another, a few months later the situation is reversed. When I first started in ESO, Stamina was 'the' viable way to play while Magicka was bad... now... Stamina is outpaced by Magicka. It's a vicious circle that all MMOs go through because devs either cannot figure out how to properly 'balance' classes, or, they feel that the way to keep players is to constantly force them to change. Clearly those type of devs do not have a psychology degree otherwise they would understand that most humans adapt poorly to change, which means these type of decisions tend to make more long-term players leave than stick around and 'adapt' every year or two to these significant changes.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm using vampire drain as my cc and it works really well if just block cancel it as it's got the fear animation attached to it
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well after the change to blazing spear, the choice became even more one sided. It's still blazing spear for PvE and just drop it completely for PvP. Luminous still get absolutely no use in either mode and the fact that it goes through block is nullified by the staggering amounts of dots in PvP. Adds don't block often in PvE and the magicka return is very minor and doesn't stack up to the damage provided by blazing spear. It cant even beat blazing spear as synergy bait so DPS and tanks can proc alkosh/moon dancer/lunar bastion.

I kinda want to start a pole to see which ability is in a worse spot for a templar right now. Eclipse morphs or luminous shards

Yep. If you do any PvE whatsoever, you have to take Blazing because it's a huge DPS loss not to.

A "Eclipse/Luminous, which is more useless?" poll would be amusing as both skills grant CC immunity and have terrible damage to magicka cost rations. I think Exlipse would emerge as the stull undisputed champ of terrible templar skills because a pure healer/support character would still perform their function reasonably well with luminous whereas Eclipse is the most inefficient skill in the entire game.
  • Dread_Guy
    Dread_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Joy_Division
    I agree eclipse might be in a worse spot, but how sad is it that this can actually be a legitimate debate about which ability is worse. Before this update, you could have added radiant aura and healing ritual morphs into the conversation as well. Not to mention our ults are all underperforming and our passives have no synergy with our class.
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's obvious Wrobel doesn't know what he's doing.
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yep. If you do any PvE whatsoever, you have to take Blazing because it's a huge DPS loss not to.

A "Eclipse/Luminous, which is more useless?" poll would be amusing as both skills grant CC immunity and have terrible damage to magicka cost rations. I think Exlipse would emerge as the stull undisputed champ of terrible templar skills because a pure healer/support character would still perform their function reasonably well with luminous whereas Eclipse is the most inefficient skill in the entire game.

I like to just ignore that eclipse exists at all. As far as I'm concerned, that skill line only has 4 abilities and an ult.
    Edited by Tyrobag on February 27, 2017 3:55PM
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Honestly, luminous should have always had the hard stun. Its disorient always made it the worthless choice. Now it's like a choice between broken cc and nothing for solo players.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    While the nerf to Blazing Spear wasn't necessary, it's a bit of a stretch to say Magplar isn't viable for solo PvP.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    While the nerf to Blazing Spear wasn't necessary, it's a bit of a stretch to say Magplar isn't viable for solo PvP.

I'd like to see proof that anyone can 1vX on a magplar after the nerf. I've talked to the best templars on console and not a single one can truly 1vX anymore. Sure you can kill 2 or 3 potatoes, but that's not 1vXing.
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have tons of other skills we can use. We will and are adapting. Chill.
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Karivaa wrote: »
    We have tons of other skills we can use. We will and are adapting. Chill.

Everyone's adapting by playing their magic dks, not by using other skills.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'd like to see proof that anyone can 1vX on a magplar after the nerf. I've talked to the best templars on console and not a single one can truly 1vX anymore. Sure you can kill 2 or 3 potatoes, but that's not 1vXing.

That's what 1vXing is, killing potatoes. Good players very, very rarely get 1vXed. If you're looking to 1vX and are looking for good players then you're doing it wrong.

I don't PvP much but this weekend I took my Magplar out to Cyrodiil and had quite a few good 1vXes. Also had a situation where I saw 2 greens getting jumped by about 15 reds and about 10 more came before me and these 2 others could wipe them, but we did and none of us died. While it wasn't a true 1vX, I was on the other side of the zerg so the only help I really got from them was the distraction that they naturally provided. Oh yea this is the same set up I used last patch which includes a nerfed Trainee set. This is coming from someone who considers himself somewhere between mediocre and good. Like I said though, these aren't good players, if I run into 3 good players working together then I'm going to get packed up.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not the Blazing Spear nerf that hooped Magicka Templars, it's the Radiant Destruction nerf.
    Lethal zergling
  • Khaos_Bane
    Khaos_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's Wrobel man, @Wrobel has been screwing with the Templar for years now.

• Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the Blazing Spear nerf that hooped Magicka Templars, it's the Radiant Destruction nerf.

Haha! That's funny! You do realize it's still unquestionably the best execute in the game, right?
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Dread_Guy
    Dread_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is very inaccurate. Beam is still a menace in PvP because can still hide behind a zerg and beam till the cows come home. I've said this many times, but the appropriate Nerf to Radiant Destruction is to lower the range to 15 meter and revert the damage Nerf. Within 15 meters you can gap close and get into bash distance. Now its easier to counter. The problem with radiant will always be:

Range>damage

Back on to topic, can we take a second to compare how terrible luminous shards is at even a disorient? It last 6 seconds...rune prison, fossilize, prolong suffering all last a minimum of 15 seconds. Also they're single target so you don't have to aim it...

Seriously, what are you guys on the combat team doing?
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Wrobel

I will continue to Necro this thread until the templar community is given an answer. When will luminous shards be fixed?
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Wrobel Day #4

When will luminous shards be fixed?
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

*cough* purifying light *cough*

Grand Overlord 25/8/17