Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO Welcomes Crown Crates"

• Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    This is literally no new information.

Are the non-themed items that have not been previously in the crown store exclusive to crates as well? (such as the purple daggerback pet we saw on the PTS)

How many gems can you get for trading in consumables?

Is the gem conversion rate still *just under* 1/3 of the gem cost to actually get that item?

Actually there is new info here. You can now buy crown crates in bundles and you can now convert potions and other utility into crown store gems. Other then that the details are light.

We knew that already, Gina posted they intended to do that on the official feedback thread on the PTS forums.

We literally got no new information.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is literally no new information.

Are the non-themed items that have not been previously in the crown store exclusive to crates as well? (such as the purple daggerback pet we saw on the PTS)

How many gems can you get for trading in consumables?

Is the gem conversion rate still *just under* 1/3 of the gem cost to actually get that item?

Actually there is new info here. You can now buy crown crates in bundles and you can now convert potions and other utility into crown store gems. Other then that the details are light.

@Darkonflare15 Gina told us in the PTS thread that we would be able to turn in consumables for gems. It's not new info.

Technically the bundles part is true, but c'mon, that was datamined ;)
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Agobi
    Agobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looked at all the pics...I would have bought all of those items at 400 each in the store...now,I will give Zo$ exactly nothing instead :/
    Edited by Agobi on November 29, 2016 7:11PM
  • Caff32
    Caff32
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_GinaBruno wrote: »
    "We'll be releasing Crown Crates later this week, and will be publishing an article on our website tomorrow with all the details"

In what universe does that article provide "...all the details"? There is no reason to believe that any significant changes were made from the PTS version other than converting consumables to gems. There is no information regarding all the changes from the PTS version. Until more information is provided, players should pass.
    Edited by Caff32 on November 29, 2016 7:12PM
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only new information I see in the article:
    1. Value of consumables inside will be more than the crate's cost.
    2. Some consumables can be traded for an unspecified amount of gems.

Where are all the details about conversion values and drop rates and such? Is that to be a surprise for whoever buys these?

I'm still not even a little bit tempted to buy any of these.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HairyFairy wrote: »
    I really don't see what everyone has to complain about? the mounts and pets will be super cool looking, yes, but they're just cosmetic, so who cares? if you want them bad enough, you'll gamble for them. If you don't want them bad enough, you won't.

Well, you could, you know, read the discussion to actually know what we are complaining about?

Like the change of direction on the game? The Free-to-Play conversion strategy? You know, things that affect people who buy and people who do not buy crates all the same?
    Edited by [Deleted User] on November 29, 2016 7:35PM
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:

Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then it is really settled, Thursday is the day ESO as we know it dies.

Shameful indeed.
    PC EU
  • Svartulv
    Svartulv
    ✭✭✭
    "ESO welcomes Crown Crates"
    37308948.jpg

Ah yeah, forgot to add, that I won't buy any of it.
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can now convert potions and other utility into crown store gems. Other then that the details are light.

We already new this. And they had already hinted at bundles I think.
    PC/EU DC
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can now convert potions and other utility into crown store gems. Other then that the details are light.

We already new this. And they had already hinted at bundles I think.

And the bundles were datamined too. We just didn't know how much they would cost.

And... Surprise... Almost no discount :neutral:
    Edited by Abeille on November 29, 2016 7:20PM

Meet my characters:

• DerAlleinTiger
    DerAlleinTiger
    ✭✭✭✭
    silvereyes wrote: »
    That storm aura does look like a pretty cool personality (I think it's a personality, at least)
    It's not. It's a memento that only lasts a few seconds. You can see it in action on PTS at about 1:50 in the following video:
    https://youtu.be/_3y3esI1VNc?t=1m50s
    Well in that case I do feel a lot better. Though I'm still firmly against these crates (or more specifically, anything EXCLUSIVE being in the crates - I'm perfectly fine with it being an alternative OPTION in their business model, but the moment something EXCLUSIVE is put in it ceases to be an OPTION to gain said items) and I can sympathize with anyone who would actually like these. Personally speaking, I don't like seeing those super flashy atronach mounts in the game at all, but the fact they are there in the game and someone might actually want them... I am not unsympathetic and think it's shameful that they're found only in RNG crates.

Personally, though, it just means it'll be a whole lot easier to NOT buy these shameful crates. Horrible business decision to put exclusives in them. Absolutely horrible. Someone else made mention of just selling them quarterly in the crown store and how people would likely buy them all - and I would agree to that! I'd be a lot more inclined to buy these outright, but in the crates? Not even worth it.
    Edited by DerAlleinTiger on November 29, 2016 7:22PM
  • blur
    blur
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_KaiSchober

According to the website:
    "Each Crown Crate is associated with a special “Season" that will include uniquely themed items, and will be cycled quarterly. We're kicking off the first season of Crown Crates with the electrifying Storm Atronach theme."

So let me see if I understand this correctly, what we had on PTS was more than what you are offering each quarter correct? I remember a red wolf mount, the Frost Horse, various other mounts and costumes that are long gone from the ESO crown store, and new things like wizard hat with glasses. Are these not going to be launched with this "quarter"?

The reason I ask is because RNG was a little better on PTS with all the above mentioned items. If you are only offering "storm" themed things and the rest being potions and other "junk" (yes junk, I don't consider 400 crowns worth it for scrolls and potions when I can craft better things for in game currency) then this grab bag of sorts is a colossal rip off. RNG will favor XP scrolls, potions, and other junk items. At least on PTS I had a better chance at costumes, mounts, pets, mementos, etc.

Could you please clarify and respond to this?
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slurg wrote: »
    The only new information I see in the article:
    2. Some consumables can be traded for an unspecified amount of gems.
    Gina told us in the PTS thread that we would be able to turn in consumables for gems. It's not new info.

PC/EU DC
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HairyFairy wrote: »
    I really don't see what everyone has to complain about? the mounts and pets will be super cool looking, yes, but they're just cosmetic, so who cares? if you want them bad enough, you'll gamble for them. If you don't want them bad enough, you won't.

[Edit to remove flaming]

Is it difficult to understand? Mounts used to be sold fairly on the Crown Store. Like what you see? Give ZOS some cash, and they'll give you the mount you want. Everyone wins.

With Crown Crates - Like what you see? Give ZOS some cash, and they'll give you a mystery box that probably won't have the mount you want. Keep throwing money at them and you might get it eventually.

PTS testing suggested you should now expect to be paying up to 40,000 crowns for the mount you want, instead of 1500-2500 crowns as had become standard. What this means is sensible players who genuinely love the game and would love to support it financially in exchange for a fair deal won't be buying Crates. They'll want the mounts, and want to give money for them, but not at the ludicrously unfair asking price that Crates demand. The only winners here are ZOS who make a ton of cash from a small minority of "whales", who themselves have little enough sense to think they're winners when they eventually get their 40,000 crown mount.
    Edited by Darkstorne on November 29, 2016 7:25PM
  • ItsGlaive
    ItsGlaive
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maotti wrote: »

Shameful indeed.

Second time that's happened for some of us. First came after they went back on "we'd rather switch the server off than move away from sub model"
    Edited by ItsGlaive on November 29, 2016 7:27PM
    Allow cross-platform transfers and merges
  • Skorol007
    Skorol007
    ✭✭✭
    No thanks ZOS, no thanks
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd pull out my credit card and buy 2x 5500 crown packs to buy a few of those mounts/items outright...

No current interest in throwing money at a chance for them, though.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dominoid wrote: »
    This "article" is woefully light on details.
    Can't disagree with that!
    Edited by Enodoc on November 29, 2016 7:29PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Greifenherz
    Greifenherz
    ✭✭✭
    "ESO Welcomes Crown Crates"...that makes me wonder, because the majority of the community seems to be rather unwelcoming to them. So is the community not a part of ESO? I thought it was several reasons in the 'a million reasons to play ESO' campaign...
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xabien wrote: »

Shameful indeed.

Second time that's happened for some of us. First came after they went back on "we'd rather switch the server off than move away from sub model"

Second? We "died" when Wildstar launched, then Archeage, then WOW:WOD, then console delay, then "Cash Shop", then B2P, then Blade and Soul, then Black Desert, then One Tamriel, then Crown Crates, then . . .
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    I think I'm disappointed that ZOS' mods are clearly following this thread and taking action on posts than simply providing answers. Any answers. I've come to realize that the "Official Discussion Threads" are just for players to discuss it, not for staff to interact.

And with all the concern players have over the crates this would be the one time to step in and answer those questions.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    New info in article: The cost and size of crate packs, introduction of converting consumables to gems.

Other than that we are missing all the hard numbers: item list, odds, gem prices, conversion rate, amount of consumables per crate.

On the last one, I don't know what is meant by, "contain a randomized selection of useful consumables that are valued more than the price of a single crate." If I recall, the price per unit on those in the store is already extremely low. They would need to pack the crates with dozens of each item. And the coversion to gem rate would need to equal the price of the first tier gem items.
    Edited by driosketch on November 29, 2016 7:38PM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Shameful indeed.

Second? We "died" when Wildstar launched, then Archeage, then WOW:WOD, then console delay, then "Cash Shop", then B2P, then Blade and Soul, then Black Desert, then One Tamriel, then Crown Crates, then . . .
    Agreed. ESO won't die, but there will always be a lingering concern over what may come next in said crates. But death of ESO? The only way that would happen is if pay to win items were there, and as long as they're cosmetic... it'll be fine. I may hate them, but it'll be fine.
  • ItsGlaive
    ItsGlaive
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Shameful indeed.

Okay very true!

First for me was SWTOR beta and realising how bad it was. Then ESO's poor launch. Then came ArcheAge and the thunder struck tree debacle. Then ESO's switch to B2P. Then Black Desert's pricing strategy. Then ESO crown crates...

LOTRO never did me wrong, nor FFXIV. But I think MMOs are pretty much dead to me at this point. Too jaded by shady business practices :D
    Allow cross-platform transfers and merges
  • Mx13
    Mx13
    ✭✭✭

Shameful indeed.

They never said that tho.
  • chjumaliev
    RNG is bad idea... very disappointed.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Shameful indeed.

Now, let's not be so dramatic. It detracts from the serious discussion.

The effects of this kind of switch on development usually take a while to get to us. Besides, we still have content that was already in development before this started to happen so we can get some content for a while before it slows down even more.

Meet my characters:

• rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I was hoping for some actual information from the article, but it's nothing we didn't already know except for confirmation that you can trade in the crown consumables. No mention of conversion rate, though...

Fully expecting the rates for the apex mounts to be around 0.5-1%, so not bothering with those. I just hope the red pit wolf makes its way into the crown store proper, because I've been looking forward to that since the day it was datamined.

Now I'm just going to wait for someone with too many crowns on their hands to post the rates for these things and confirm my suspicions that they're a trap. It's good business sense, after all, to not hand rare stuff out like candy.
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Preyfar wrote: »
    Enodoc wrote: »
    I think I'm disappointed that ZOS' mods are clearly following this thread and taking action on posts than simply providing answers. Any answers. I've come to realize that the "Official Discussion Threads" are just for players to discuss it, not for staff to interact.

And with all the concern players have over the crates this would be the one time to step in and answer those questions.

There's a difference between a "mod" tasked with enforcing forums rules and a developer/community manager tasked with communicating official company positions. Although I am sure that the developers are following this thread. Hi guys, some details in here please or are "we" expected to spend cash to learn the details?
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will buy a local state lottery ticket and if I win the mega millions , I'll buy a crown crate .

Just kidding , I'll spend it wisely :D

Can I have like $5.00 if you do win?

As long as you don't waste it on gambling .