Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO Welcomes Crown Crates"

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article ESO Welcomes Crown Crates. This Thursday, we'll be introducing the first season of Crown Crates to the ESO Crown Store. Check out the article for all the details.
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im dissapointed in how vauge this article is. If you are to introduce rng gambling with our real money, atleast give us an article that explains in full detail. It doesn't even tell us all of the items for sale in the season's crown crate, not even to mention the current gem prices. And dont give me the prices aren't finalized excuse, you are slamming this onto us in a few days, so stop trying to force the playerbase to find out about the exact workings of the crates on our own. Also you don't exactly specify if all the atronach items will be back again next year. WIll next year's atronach crate contain the same items as this year or will there be 100% new items in them?

I have bought every single limited time item that has been for sale in the crown store, and it sucks that im still wondering if i will have a really low chance to get one of those ridiculously expensive mounts, just like i did on pts.
    Edited by MyNameIsElias on November 29, 2016 7:04PM
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    first.jpg

edit : ok second, but the car crash picture seems appropriate so that stays
    Edited by Jim_Pipp on November 29, 2016 6:53PM
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So how have you addressed the backlash from PTS testing? Have the values to purchase the higher tiers changed? Has the amount of gems you get for duplicates changed?

Tell us please, because these are a horrendous addition to the game and the only possible saving grace (besides not adding them) is that the ridiculous RNG of ~40,000 Crowns for a mount is gone.

I get that we'll "find out for sure" on Thursday, but in reality this article has no details whatsoever besides that they are being added and you can convert to gems.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, only utility items can be converted to Crowns. If you get a costume, etc, that you do not want, ot cannot use, you keep it. Also, food and drink do npt appear to be on the list. Are those utility items?

No odds posted, but not expected, either.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • TerraDewBerry
    TerraDewBerry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say let your wallets do your talking... I will not be buying a single crown crate ever.
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Too few information to judge, but enough to see that you haven't learned a lesson from the PTS feedback.
    Edited by Tyrion87 on November 29, 2016 6:57PM
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Article is pretty light on details.
    • Are loads of non-themed items still locked away in crates?
    • What is the conversion rate of consumables to gems?
    • What are the drop rates for various items, will they be shown in the UI?
    • Did you go ahead with the whole turn-Pacrooti-into-a-street-pusher thing?
    Assuming nothing changed except turning consumables into gems, since that is the only detail in the article, I'd like to say I'm shocked at the amount of community feedback that's been completely ignored. I'm not really shocked though, just supremely disappointed.

:(
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This "article" is woefully light on details.
    Edited by Dominoid on November 29, 2016 6:58PM
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still no chance for the pit wolf. !!

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will buy a local state lottery ticket and if I win the mega millions , I'll buy a crown crate .

Just kidding , I'll spend it wisely :D
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, only utility items can be converted to Crowns. If you get a costume, etc, that you do not want, ot cannot use, you keep it. Also, food and drink do npt appear to be on the list. Are those utility items?

Costumes that you dont want should totally be tradeable to gems or other costume ffs.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    Article is pretty light on details.
    • Are loads of non-themed items still locked away in crates?
    • What is the conversion rate of consumables to gems?
    • What are the drop rates for various items, will they be shown in the UI?
    • Did you go ahead with the whole turn-Pacrooti-into-a-street-pusher thing?
    Assuming nothing changed except turning consumables into gems, since that is the only detail in the article, I'd like to say I'm shocked at the amount of community feedback that's been completely ignored. I'm not really shocked though, just supremely disappointed.

:(

Couldn't agree more. I will withhold my true judgement until we get all the details. But to me this seems like ZOS had the plan to release them no matter what the community thought and all feedback be damned.

If they released each of these mounts, for say 2,500-3,000 Crowns each every other week or so during a season, people would buy them. In fact folks like myself would buy them all. But because this has ventured into pure RNG crate territory it just leaves too bad a taste in my mouth to want to even think about purchasing any.

I hoped beyond hope that ZOS would acknowledge the backlash and see Crown Crates for the terrible idea they are, clearly that has not been the case, much to the detriment of the game in my opinion.
    Edited by Paulington on November 29, 2016 7:02PM
  • Jazbay_Grape
    Jazbay_Grape
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will buy a local state lottery ticket and if I win the mega millions , I'll buy a crown crate .

Just kidding , I'll spend it wisely :D

Can I have like $5.00 if you do win?
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PLEASE just tell us if there is anything that IS NOT THEMED that is going to be exclusive.

This is literally the only thing I want to know and the article doesn't clarifies it.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • DerAlleinTiger
    DerAlleinTiger
    ✭✭✭✭
    "ESO Welcomes." I don't know about you, but this is anything but "Welcome" to me and most other people I've spoken with in ESO. Maybe it would be more accurate to say "ZOS Welcomes" in this case.

That storm aura does look like a pretty cool personality (I think it's a personality, at least). I sure would love to BUY that in the crown store. Hell I'd pay 2000 crowns for it for my battlemage characters. You know what I won't be getting though? Anything in these crates, including the storm aura.
    Jim_Pipp wrote: »
    first.jpg

I would agree, very fitting indeed!

• silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno, could we get answers to the following questions? The announcement was a bit short on details.
    • What are the conversion rates for consumables to gems?
    • Have any of the prices in gems changed since PTS?
    • Have any drop rates been buffed?
    • Are any collectibles other than the apex rewards and retired items going to be exclusive to the crates?
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I never thought about it before but the emotes and skins type things in there probably *** me off more than the mounts. But all in all, bad show ZOS. And welcome to the world of f2p cash shop gimmicks.
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I convert any crown store consumables? Like the ones that come in bundles?
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This post gives zero information on what was improved or changed with the crates since they were on PTS. Did the conversion rate of duplicates go up any? Did the cost of Apex items go down? One of the single biggest complaints was the conversion cost for dupes was so low it made trying to get the items you really wanted minimal. I'm not fully against these crates, but if the rates were like they were on PTS I *am* concerned.

Changes were discussed from PTS to now, and while I see being able to convert random items is implemented... what else (if anything) changed?
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is literally no new information.

Are the non-themed items that have not been previously in the crown store exclusive to crates as well? (such as the purple daggerback pet we saw on the PTS)

How many gems can you get for trading in consumables?

Is the gem conversion rate still *just under* 1/3 of the gem cost to actually get that item?
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »

Costumes that you dont want should totally be tradeable to gems or other costume ffs.

I thought they would do that, but I also recognize the need to control Gems being just given to those players who buy the crates. Still, I have to wonder whether more exclusive APEX mounts will be bought with Gems or won in a crate. ZOS will likely be watching this, too. I wonder if they will change the drop rate of Gem-exchange items. I wonder how often ZOS will change the drop rate to better align with revenue goals errr expected drop rates.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lack of detail or commentary on the specifics in this article is shameful.

Shameful.
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • ItsGlaive
    ItsGlaive
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Crown Crates are a new addition to the ESO Crown Store that will give you a chance to obtain exclusive and unique pets, mounts, and more alongside useful consumable items."

We had the chance to obtain this stuff without crates - it was called the store.
    Allow cross-platform transfers and merges
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will not buy a single crate.
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That storm aura does look like a pretty cool personality (I think it's a personality, at least)
    It's not. It's a memento that only lasts a few seconds. You can see it in action on PTS at about 1:50 in the following video:
    https://youtu.be/_3y3esI1VNc?t=1m50s

• MBite
    MBite
    ✭✭✭
    "ESO Welcomes Crown Crates"

Ok guys, put your hands up, i want to see who welcomes them. No dont be shy, i dont have axe, maybe... no no, just put your hands up.

Anyway, trash for 400 crowns, thats must buy /s :D
    I'm waiting to see what items will be only exclusive in future, I hope nothing. Sadly hope died today.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    This is literally no new information.

Are the non-themed items that have not been previously in the crown store exclusive to crates as well? (such as the purple daggerback pet we saw on the PTS)

How many gems can you get for trading in consumables?

Is the gem conversion rate still *just under* 1/3 of the gem cost to actually get that item?

Actually there is new info here. You can now buy crown crates in bundles and you can now convert potions and other utility into crown store gems. Other then that the details are light.
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... nothing we don't already know... great.
    PC/EU DC
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    9Tr0DvG.jpg

Here's what I think about your ******* crown crates.
  • HairyFairy
    HairyFairy
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really don't see what everyone has to complain about? the mounts and pets will be super cool looking, yes, but they're just cosmetic, so who cares? if you want them bad enough, you'll gamble for them. If you don't want them bad enough, you won't.

[Edit to remove flaming]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on November 29, 2016 7:15PM
    Hello darkness my old friend

HairyFairy- MagNB
    Scary-Fairy- MagDK
    HairyFairy's Kitty- StamNB
    Your a Lizard Hairy- MagSorc
    Jarl HairyFairy- StamDK
    Lord HairyFairy- MagPlar
    Craazy Fairy- StamSorc
    HairyFairy The Colossus - StamPlar
    Thanos Ender of Worlds - Stamcro