Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for Crown Crates

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for Crown Crates. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
  • Did you like/use the consumables you received from the Crown Crates?
  • Do you have any general feedback?
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • ArtOfShred
    ArtOfShred
    ✭✭✭
    Bit hard to test right now since they cost a full 400 Crowns on the PTS!
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    ArtOfShred wrote: »

You should have 5000 crowns in your account that gets replenished each day.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disclaimer: I have not tried them yet.

I think they're a terrible idea and I was extremely disappointed to hear they would be added to the game.

Items like these prey on gullible individuals, forcing them to spend far more than they would for a straight-forward sale because they hear rumors that a friend of a friend's sisters boyfriends cousin got an amazing item on the first try. Or more likely because there is simply no other way to obtain items they want. Typically the drop rates on anything which is worth having are extremely poor which results in some people spending hundreds of dollars (or equivalent in other currencies) and being left with nothing of use.

I'm going to test the drop rates as soon as my game has updated and will report back on them to make other players aware.

Once they're off the PTS and onto the live game I will not buy them. I accept this means I will miss out on many special items, likely all of the best mounts and skins, but I'd rather not waste my money or encourage this kind of item which takes advantage of players instead of offering a fair sale.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • guul
    guul
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
    Edited by guul on September 20, 2016 4:15PM
  • pavlaprovaz
    pavlaprovaz
    ✭✭
    well this isn't related to your boxes but after you updated crown store I have experience an ugly rollback on one of my character...lost 130K ap....gear i bought and received from friend and it brought me back to level 42....
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    well this isn't related to your boxes but after you updated crown store I have experience an ugly rollback on one of my character...lost 130K ap....gear i bought and received from friend and it brought me back to level 42....

Off topic, but did you level that character and get that gear recently, like the last couple days? The character copy is just a snap shot of the server on a given day before maintenance.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • ArtOfShred
    ArtOfShred
    ✭✭✭

Ohhhh that gets replenished, nevermind then! Apologies!

Thoughts so far then:
    All the various crown item rewards that you get in the crates kinda feel like GW2 Black Lion Crates (which are useless nonsense items that clutter up your inventory). This is a definitely a little better than that, but I still feel like if I choose to purchase crates, this misc potions and stuff will just eat up my inventory space and I'll be in a hurry to consume them asap to get rid of them.

As far as the whole system - I really don't like this sort of thing. But it's not as a bad as it could be. Just do everyone a favor and don't lock a bunch of exclusive items behind this RNG paywall. If you want to put legacy items no longer available up there, that's fair game. I see some retired items in the running here atm and that's all well.But I'm already not liking these "Storm Atronach" mounts I'm seeing. Looks like a few hundred bucks down the drain if someone wanted to actually get these.

Additionally the only other issue I have so far with Crates and with the influx of a great degree of smaller cosmetic options added recently along with them (Hairstyles, Jewelry etc), is they might be a little TOO nested into the crown store. I think its excellent to have a great degree of cosmetic items available on the crown store - however, it would be nice to have some rewards shifted over to actual gameplay based rewards, even if RNG. Also I wouldn't mind seeing style items/costumes/mounts in game that you could CHOOSE to purchase on the store but had the option of acquiring in-game, whether through RNG, skilled achievements, etc. This is more an overall comment about the crown store but still applicable here.
  • pavlaprovaz
    pavlaprovaz
    ✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »

Off topic, but did you level that character and get that gear recently, like the last couple days? The character copy is just a snap shot of the server on a given day before maintenance.

yeah i did leveled that character in the last 2 days
  • DPShiro
    DPShiro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't test PTS sadly, but can you still get Horse Training even if you have all 12 characters fully maxed out on each parameter?

Can @ZOS_GinaBruno clarify? Because those are bound and you can't do anything with them at all if so?
    At least let them turn into gems like other dupes do if so.
    ~ Gryphon Heart ~
    ~ Immortal Redeemer ~
    ~ Grand Master Crafter ~
    ~ Master Angler ~
    ~ Former Emperor ~
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No, I don't use consumables from the store as I prefer to use those that I can craft or buy from another player.

Putting previous crown store items in the crates is ok and thereby giving newer players a chance to get them is ok, but putting lots of exclusive items in them is not. I can safely say that when crates go live, I won't purchase any of them for a number of reasons:

- Too many items are becoming crown store exclusive
      - Can't turn unwanted items into gems, only doubles get converted
      - No use for the consumables

The crates are every bit as bad as the ones I know from SWTOR (and the lockboxes from other games, e.g. STO, DCUO).

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • ZunaRoath
      ZunaRoath
      ✭✭✭✭
      All my feedback about this is here:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/292553/feedback-crown-crates-and-the-rewards-bought-with-crown-gems#latest

But basically...

Did you like/use the consumables you received from the Crown Crates?

The idea of the animation is super cool and I was really surprised.

Do you have any general feedback?

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/292553/feedback-crown-crates-and-the-rewards-bought-with-crown-gems#latest

Expensive for what they are.
      [EU-EP-PC] @Kynes_Peace

Hjalmar Bear-Heart - Main, Stamina Warden
      Svari Wild-Hawk - Magicka Nightblade
      Hulda the Wild - Stamina Warden
      Greg the Witchman - Magicka Necromancer
      Cassius Gallus - Stamina Sorcerer
      Nari War-Shield - Magicka Templar Healer
      Hronvir Winter-Winds - Tank Warden
      Zuna Ice-Bear - Stamina DK
    • guul
      guul
      ✭✭✭
      I have no khajiit and only one argonian on live.
      Should I make more character for unwanted and useless race/gender-limited item?
      There must be an option for turning unwanted items to gems:(
      Edited by guul on September 20, 2016 4:32PM
    • arasysb14_ESO
      arasysb14_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭
      there's already 108 pages long discussion about them, good job ignoring it so adamantly.
      Arasys Llanor, CP 800+ Magicka Sorcerer NA

Please do not use the same Fallout 76 engine for TES VI
    • dimensional
      dimensional
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Danikat wrote: »
      Disclaimer: I have not tried them yet.

I think they're a terrible idea and I was extremely disappointed to hear they would be added to the game.

Items like these prey on gullible individuals, forcing them to spend far more than they would for a straight-forward sale because they hear rumors that a friend of a friend's sisters boyfriends cousin got an amazing item on the first try. Or more likely because there is simply no other way to obtain items they want. Typically the drop rates on anything which is worth having are extremely poor which results in some people spending hundreds of dollars (or equivalent in other currencies) and being left with nothing of use.

I'm going to test the drop rates as soon as my game has updated and will report back on them to make other players aware.

Once they're off the PTS and onto the live game I will not buy them. I accept this means I will miss out on many special items, likely all of the best mounts and skins, but I'd rather not waste my money or encourage this kind of item which takes advantage of players instead of offering a fair sale.

This entire post is terrible. There is nothing negative about the inclusion of crown crates and it will change literally nothing about the game. If you don't like them it's one thing but you're just talking nonsense.
    • fr33r4ng3r
      fr33r4ng3r
      ✭✭✭
      I purchased 11 crates, here is my feedback:

"Did you like/use the consumables you received from the crown crates?"

Far, far, far too many potions and poisons (3 out of 4 cards on many of the crates). I am unlikely to use crown potions because I mostly use dropped potions in overland content and crafted potions in PvP and Dungeons. Food and drink dropped less often, but would be even more useless since I exclusively use crafted food / drink. Things like repair kits are nice because they always come in handy (I one got 1 repair kit in 11 crates though - so those need to drop more often).

"Do you have any general feedback?"

There needs to be a way to convert unwanted cards to gems (n gems for a common, scaling up based on the rarity of the card). You can't please all of the people all of the time and this will allow folks to feel like they got something out of a totally dud crate.

Overall the experience did not feel rewarding at all. I didn't feel like I had a chance of getting something cool. Card color is super important to conveying how rare an item is and the rares are not called out enough. I got a 5th card on one of the crates and I like how that worked, with the NPC calling it out and making it feel special.

Out of all the crates I opened, I only saw one item that made me think "oh cool!", and that was a hat.

The number of crown gems I got for duplicates felt very low, especially with 400 gem Apex rewards. That's 20 dups with a chance of a single dup from each crate that's a minimum of 32,000 crowns... Gems rewarded for duplicates should scale with rarity (again not clear about how rare things are or if it's that way already).

At the moment these feel like 100 crown boxes. I really didn't feel like I'd spend 400 crows on one of these on the live server.

(edit: grammar, edit: I missed the 400 gem Apex rewards in my first pass - minimum 32K crowns - just... wow!?)
      Edited by fr33r4ng3r on September 20, 2016 5:05PM
    • MissBizz
      MissBizz
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Are the crown gem conversation rates the same as planned for live?
      Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
    • Paulington
      Paulington
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      My feedback for now is just here. Will add more a little later.
    • Abeille
      Abeille
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I got 12 Crown Crates, and I found a collectible in every single one of them, which is nice (or better saying, not as bad as it could have been).

9 of them were of the "Superior Rewards" tier. I got 3 repeats, and that awarded me 5 Crown Gems each.
      However, an item in the Superior Rewards tier costs 16 Crown Gems. That means that I would need at least 4 repeated Superior Rewards to be able to get the Superior Reward I actually want (and that would leave me 4 Crown Gems that I can't use).

I really don't think that's a good approach. I think awarding more Crown Gems would be better (ideally, enough to buy an item of the same tier, but 10 instead of 15 is already okay-ish). And it would be nice if the items in the Superior Rewards tier costed 15 Crown Gems and not 16.

By the way: I still think adding these is a very anti-custumer idea and I am absolutely against it.
      Edited by Abeille on September 20, 2016 5:00PM
      Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
      Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
      Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
      Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
      Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
      Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
      Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
      Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
      Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
      Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
      Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
    • SleepyTroll
      SleepyTroll
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Did you like/use the consumables you received from the Crown Crates?
      No, in fact, if this was my real money that I spent I would be really angry right now.

Do you have any general feedback?

First, thank you for conveniently making these the only crown store item that costs the actual price. It really helped me see what I would get with real crowns.

I was going for the storm camel thing; this is what I got out of $40 worth of crowns:

gems: 10
      poison: 100
      warrior elixir: 40
      invisibility potion: 35
      spell casters elixir: 15
      refreshing drink: 4
      crown survivor’s elixir: 16(one time I only got one from a card)
      crown lesson: riding speed: 2
      crown lesson: riding stamina: 1
      crown mimic stone: 2
      crown repair kit: 1
      crown soul gem: 1
      crown crate food: 1
      shorn helm Shepard: 2(5 gems)
      black mask bear dog
      ancestor lizard
      battle mage captain uniform
      shadow strip head marking
      evening dress costume: 2(5 gems)
      feathered bycoket cap
      azure circlet
      hair 1

Well ZOS, I don't know what else to say.
    • SantieClaws
      SantieClaws
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Khajiit would like some clarification yes. Which of the items available for gems are crate exclusive and which are meant to represent items previously in the store?

Khajiit sees one of two things she would like, however the rate of gems given for duplicate items seems very low.

Yours with paws
      Santie Claws
      Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
      Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
    • Abeille
      Abeille
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Khajiit would like some clarification yes. Which of the items available for gems are crate exclusive and which are meant to represent items previously in the store?

Khajiit sees one of two things she would like, however the rate of gems given for duplicate items seems very low.

Yours with paws
      Santie Claws

I want to know this too.

The "Apex Rewards" are Crown Crates exclusives, right? What about the stuff in the other tiers that were not released yet? Red Pit Wolf, Black Mane Lion? Are these Crown Crates exclusives or will they be sold directly eventually?
      Edited by Abeille on September 20, 2016 5:07PM
      Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
      Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
      Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
      Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
      Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
      Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
      Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
      Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
      Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
      Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
      Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
    • Dominoid
      Dominoid
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
    • Alucardo
      Alucardo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi there Gina, you're looking lovely today. Any chance we could get that functionality on live please?

OT: Spent my 5k worth on crown crates and didn't really receive anything great. Just a bunch of potions and poisons I'll never use. My male character also received a circlet.. yeah.
      The Atronach Wolf thing people were riding around on looks pretty nice, but I don't think I'd gamble for it. All-in-all, not really into it.

Some improvements would be to get rid of that annoying Khajiit squatting behind the box, and to show you what you get when you open it. You get the loot thing pop up when you close it, but it'd be nice if you could inspect the items before it goes away.
    • ZunaRoath
      ZunaRoath
      ✭✭✭✭
      Abeille wrote: »

Yours with paws
      Santie Claws

I want to know this too.

The "Apex Rewards" are Crown Crates exclusives, right? What about the stuff in the other tiers that were not released yet? Red Pit Wolf, Black Mane Lion? Are these Crown Crates exclusives or will they be sold directly eventually?

Would also like to know this. As far as we see in the PTS they seem like exclusives, but I hope this is wrong.
      [EU-EP-PC] @Kynes_Peace

Hjalmar Bear-Heart - Main, Stamina Warden
      Svari Wild-Hawk - Magicka Nightblade
      Hulda the Wild - Stamina Warden
      Greg the Witchman - Magicka Necromancer
      Cassius Gallus - Stamina Sorcerer
      Nari War-Shield - Magicka Templar Healer
      Hronvir Winter-Winds - Tank Warden
      Zuna Ice-Bear - Stamina DK
    • Falhael
      Falhael
      ✭✭✭
      Didn't like the idea of those crates right from the beginning, but after seeing it on PTS it's even worse...

I bought 13 crates in total. The worst one contained 1 drink, 1 food, 1 repair kit and 1 soul gem. Seriously?

First of all being an end game player i really don't want crown consumables since they are just not as good as crafted ones (which is a good thing) and second i have completed several 100s of crafting writs, so i could probably repair my gear only using those reapir kits for years, same with soul gems...

Then also think about this (and yes, i know that i cannot buy single ones but nevertheless):
      1 crown soul gem = 40 crowns
      1 crown repair kit = 40 crowns
      1 crown food = 40 crowns
      1 crown drink = 40 crowns
      =160 crowns.
      That crate was 400. I got 20 crown gems for duplicates. After having spent about 5500 crowns. That's about 50€.

I really dislike the crown gem items. What do you think average people are willing/able to spend on a game like this? The pricing of gem rewards is outright ridiculous. Considering the amount of gems i got for duplicates (4x5) it will be several hundreds of euros to get even close to one of those apex rewards.

Those crates are the worst ripoff ever introduced to the game!
    • Rajajshka
      Rajajshka
      ✭✭✭
      Can the drop rate of the consumables like crown potions & food be reduced a bit or removed? I got all potions from 3 crates :/ and they aren't really that good...

The amount of gems you get from doubles is also really low, you'd need to get atleast 4 doubles to even get the cheapest things that costs gems. I would change the amount of gems you get from a double from 5 to half the amount of the gem cost of said item.
      Edited by Rajajshka on September 20, 2016 6:55PM
    • Adernath
      Adernath
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      there's already 108 pages long discussion about them, good job ignoring it so adamantly.

Totally agree.

My feedback: Horrible idea, I won't jump on that train, had that already in other games.
    • Mojmir
      Mojmir
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Feedback- they don't belong in the game
    • Caff32
      Caff32
      ✭✭✭✭
      This is the official feedback thread for Crown Crates. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:

The consumables are trash. Anyone with a crafter will have paid 400 crowns for trash. I can make better ones in game for zero crowns. Or I could go to a guild store and buy the potions/food I need for zero crowns. If I'm spending real world money, I'm not spending it on consumables. The drop rate for these items is way too high.

As to your second question,

I opened 10 boxes. I received the following:
      5 Spellcaster's Elixirs
      2 Refreshing Drinks
      1 Fortifying Meal
      25 Survivor Elixirs
      15 Warrior Elixirs
      15 Tri-Resto Potions
      1 Grand Crown Crate Experience Scroll
      175 Lethal Poisons
      15 Invisibility Potions
      2 Crown Repair Kits
      2 Daedric Scamps (one converted to FIVE crown gems)
      2 Fibonaccus Spiral Hats (one converted to five crown gems)
      2 Roostertail Frills (one converted to five crown gems)
      2 Facial Accessories (one Argonian only (I have no Argonians))
      1 Costume
      1 Guar mount
      1 Body striping (Khajiit Only (I have no khajiits))
      Unknown Crown Mimic Stones (I believe it was only 2).

All in all, I received nothing of value for 4000 crowns and only 15 crown gems in return. I believe that the return is not nearly worth the investment.

For example, the Apex rewards are 400 crowns. Every duplicate is only 5 gems. See where this is going? 99.9% of players will never get enough gems to purchase any of these rewards.

I would HIGHLY suggest both increasing the conversion rate of duplicates to gems. At least by a multiple of 5. Additionally, I would HIGHLY suggest adding the option of converting ALL of the things you receive into gems. So if I get these useless potions/potions/food/etc., I can convert them into gems.

With the way things are currently designed, I don't see how anyone would be motivated to spend the amount of money these things cost to try to get the higher level rewards. For example, the last crate I opened rewarded me with 2 sets of potions, a crown mimic stone, and an unusable facial accessory. That is a horrible investment. If I could have converted them into even 100 gems, I would be willing to buy the boxes. As it stands, it's a waste of money.

• sliferjamb14_ESO
      sliferjamb14_ESO
      Soul Shriven
      I wouldn't use crown store consumables if I had any other option. I'll craft my own food or XP potion or purchase repairs rather than use a real-money option. If my mount is already maxed out a mount lesson is going to be entirely useless. All of these consumables will end up sitting in my bank taking up valuable space, never to be used. Ten Crown Store XP scrolls are already sitting in my bank; obtained from bundles and forever unused. They simply feel too nonrenewable and expensive to use.

I am in it for the costumes, pets, and mounts. That is the sole reason I want to buy a Crown Crate. If everything else other than those items are discarded, opening 5000 crowns worth of crates is very expensive and not at all worth it at the moment. I got a handful of costumes and pets that I am not interested in using which I am fine with as that is part of the gamble. I got a decent amount of duplicates and it didn't feel like I got enough of those crown gem things to afford anything that I did actually want.

There was also no previews for any of the mementos to tell if they were worth spending crown gems on or not.

I like the crates in games such as Team Fortress 2 and Dota 2 because it feels as though you have a good chance at getting the specific item you want as there are generally only a small number of items inside the crate. There are maybe one or two items that I really want in the current crate, and with so many other items in the crate it currently feels like a very big gamble to try to get those one or two items.

Those are my thoughts. I don't know how helpful they were.