The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread for Crown Crates

• Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caff32 wrote: »
    This is the official feedback thread for Crown Crates. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
    • Did you like/use the consumables you received from the Crown Crates?
    • Do you have any general feedback?

I would HIGHLY suggest both increasing the conversion rate of duplicates to gems. At least by a multiple of 5. Additionally, I would HIGHLY suggest adding the option of converting ALL of the things you receive into gems. So if I get these useless potions/potions/food/etc., I can convert them into gems.

This, please.

Since you guys put Pacrooti in this (putting a beloved character to present us with a very unpopular system? I see what you did there), then let us ask Pacrooti to convert any rewards into Crown Gems, repeated or not, consumables or collectibles. Maybe make the consumables give less gems than the collectibles, but still.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having just opened 13 of these I think they're very disappointing. (Which is what I thought before, but I was willing to be convinced otherwise by the data.)

The vast majority of what I got was consumables which I suppose are at least useful but as other people said not as good as the crafted ones and at the rate they drop anyone trying to get a specific item is going to end up with a lot of them to use up.

I was disappointed to find that you only get crown gems in return for a cosmetic item if you already have it unlocked. Which means if (for example) someone doesn't have an Argonian character the first copy of every argonian exclusive hair style or adornment they receive is wasted. It's automatically unlocked on the account but can never be used. I think it would be much better if we had the option to trade in any cosmetic item we don't want for crown gems.

The return rate on crown gems is also disappointing however. I got 5 gems each for items in the 'Superior' category, which cost 16 gems to purchase. This means I need to get 5 repeat rewards to get 1 I actually want.

In conclusion I think they're only worth buying if you regularly purchase crown consumables and don't mind which ones you receive.

I also think the item description needs to be amended. At present it says "A mystery collection of Storm Atronach-related items". This is misleading as the vast majority of items inside the crates are not Storm Atronach related and the ones which are seem to be very rare. I think it would be better if it said something like "A mystery collection of items, including exclusive Storm Atronach mounts."
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • iRogue32
    iRogue32
    ✭✭✭
    The Crown Store Crates are extremely disappointing imo and obviously meant to just get money from consumers that like to gamble. I would advise that ZOS rethinks adding these into the game in their current state. For $40 worth of crowns, I got 3 costumes, 4 pets, some cosmetic accessories, and a bunch of useless consumables.
    Epic Synergy (rip)
    Order of Mundus (rip)
    Crown Store Heroes (rip)
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hagebutte wrote: »
    Then also think about this (and yes, i know that i cannot buy single ones but nevertheless):
    1 crown soul gem = 40 crowns
    1 crown repair kit = 40 crowns
    1 crown food = 40 crowns
    1 crown drink = 40 crowns
    =160 crowns.
    That crate was 400.

^This, I believe, is an excellent point. If the Crates are going to spew garbage most of the time (which, to be fair, we knew would be the case), it at least ought to be garbage of an equal value to what you paid for it.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Disclaimer: I have not installed the PTS, my feedback comes from watching Dominoid's video.

Ugh.

What a cheap and skeezy thing you guys have made here. GG. Build an awesome game set in a world we all love then add this kind of thing... UGH.

And if I heard correctly the NPC is Parcooti, right? Wow, we ask for two and a half years to have this guy in game and this is where he shows up. Note to ZOS: using Parcooti here does not make this whole thing more palatable, it robs us of actually fun interactions we could have with him in the future, you know, while actually playing a TES game. Instead he is the emcee for this little slot machine thing. UGH.

Are you really going to lock all that stuff in the gem store behind the Crown Crates? There's stuff in there I would gladly buy with my real-world cash, but I am sure as **** not going to gamble for it. Guess that's less cash for ZOS in the long run, from me at least. I would say UGH but this just means there's more money in my bourbon budget.

Overall reaction: this is a terrible thing and the masterminds at ZOS responsible for it should feel terrible.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • mad0ni0n
    mad0ni0n
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Disclaimer: I have not tried them yet.

I think they're a terrible idea and I was extremely disappointed to hear they would be added to the game.

Items like these prey on gullible individuals, forcing them to spend far more than they would for a straight-forward sale because they hear rumors that a friend of a friend's sisters boyfriends cousin got an amazing item on the first try. Or more likely because there is simply no other way to obtain items they want. Typically the drop rates on anything which is worth having are extremely poor which results in some people spending hundreds of dollars (or equivalent in other currencies) and being left with nothing of use.

I'm going to test the drop rates as soon as my game has updated and will report back on them to make other players aware.

Once they're off the PTS and onto the live game I will not buy them. I accept this means I will miss out on many special items, likely all of the best mounts and skins, but I'd rather not waste my money or encourage this kind of item which takes advantage of players instead of offering a fair sale.

So your feedback is people are stupid and ZOS are responsible for protecting people from themselves.
  • arasysb14_ESO
    arasysb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I spent all of the given crowns on crates, I ended up with one epic mount and an atronach senche tiger. Rest was useless potions and few costumes I would never use.

With introduction of crown crates we know ZOS is capable of adding mini games to the game, and if I am not mistaken it seems like "RNG boxes gambling" will be the only one in ESO. I don't want to keep posting about wasted potentials over and over but then there's amount of detail put in crown crate exclusive mounts; atronachs..

5200 crowns, that's almost ~$40 for crap consumables, and increasing a chance to get an exclusive item only available through these crates.

I don't want to speculate, but who's to say they will initially have good drop chances for introduction, then get nerfed to milk further? I am sure people with 350 gems (exclusive mounts require 400 gems) will be more motivated towards wasting more money to ensure getting one of these mounts.

Arasys Llanor, CP 800+ Magicka Sorcerer NA

Please do not use the same Fallout 76 engine for TES VI
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone get a repeated collectible from the Epic or Legendary tiers? I want to know how many Crown Gems you get for that. I only got repeated collectibles from the Superior tier.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • guul
    guul
    ✭✭✭
    I need the preview for momento items too
  • Dunkmeister
    Dunkmeister
    ✭✭✭
    I opened 10 boxes and got the camel mount, a couple pets, storm memento and a bunch of other consumables. I was surprised when I got a duplicate I only got 5 gems for a pet which sells for many more crystals. I think if you get a duplicate, you should get the full value so you can choose a different item of equal value.
    Dunkmeister - DK Firemage AD NA Server
    PVE Achievement Collector
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol the whole thing is a joke. You can't go down the RNG path with Eso crown store, It just won't work.

You've done a good job of making ESO such user friendly MMO with a modern approach feel to it, easy and convenient to play with friends, a mmo community even casual players can participate in, with a convenient rewarding system of giving crowns to those that subscribe to the game. A game that feels welcoming, a game that people will spend 3000 crowns on a cool mount to support it.

Now you're putting exclusive mounts behind some kind of expensive RNG crate system??? To me it just seems sooo out of place and doesn't fit with the convenient ESO way of doing things. I understand the game needs revenue, but there are much better ways to go about it than this.

The animation for opening the crates looks pretty cool and was well done - shame it's wasted on a stupid crown store system. Could of been used in a cool in game feature or mini game.

Sorry about the tone - tried to make it as constructive as possible, I hope you can see where i'm coming from.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok. Opened my 13 crates and got..

Crown Warrior’s Elixir (5) x6
    Crown Invisibility Potion (5) x5
    Crown Survivor’s Elixir (5) x4
    Crown Lethal Poison (25) x4
    Crown Mimic Stone x4
    Crown Spellcaster’s Elixir (5) x3
    Crown Tri-Restoration Potion (5) x3
    Crown Repair Kit x3
    Crown Lesson: Riding Speed x2
    Crown Crate Refreshing Drink (30 minutes instead of 2 hours for the regular crown store one)

Grand Crown Crate Experience Scroll
    Crown Crate Experience Scroll

Soul-Shriven Leather Outfit x3
    Battlemage Tribune Armor x2
    Battlemage Scout Captain Uniform
    Soul-Shriven Ragged Clothing

The Aurbic Eye
    Hedge Wizard’s Claw Cap
    Roostertail Frills

Daedric Scamp
    Shornhelm Shepherd
    Helstrom Ancestor Lizard

Storm Atronach Senche Mount

So for 5200 crowns, I got a buttload of consumables I'll never use (save the repair kits), 4 unique costumes I'll probably never use (7 in total), 3 style parlor items, 3 pets, and one of the atronach mounts. And on Live I have two of the pets, so I really got 25 gems out of it.

Also, note that Grand Crown Crate Experience Scroll gains a 150% EXP bonus for 30 minutes, as opposed to 50% for 30 minutes for the regular one (and 2 hours for the regular Crown Store one).

If you could let us convert the crown consumables to a different crown consumable or gems, that'd be most appreciated. Crown repair kits are the only crown consumable I'd ever use.
  • Caff32
    Caff32
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I understand the need for an influx of revenue to keep the game going, there is a delicate balance when it comes to impulse purchases.

For example, if you made the crates 4000 crowns each, you will get more money per crate but you'd have very few purchases. If you made the crates 4 crowns each, you'd get tons of purchase but very little money in return. So I understand the need to find that balance.

Right now, I believe if the price point will remain 400 crowns, then it has to be more rewarding or the only purchases will be from people who already spend money.

If you want an influx of money, you need to bring in the fringe spenders. You need to make it rewarding enough that the average person is willing to spend money to take a chance. Right now, I believe that balance has not been met as the average person will not be willing to spend money for these horrible rewards.
  • deadlychaos1991
    deadlychaos1991
    ✭✭✭
    All trash. Never plan on buying anything from these and I know no one that I personal know will buy these.

I know zos is not responsible for people's gambling addictions but they don't have to support it either...
    Edited by deadlychaos1991 on September 20, 2016 6:21PM
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you guys are paying attention. Literally NO ONE wants the trash. Putting cool items in there isn't going to be enough to offset how much people do not want potions or poisons or any of that business. Pair that with the drop rates, and this isn't going to be as profitable as the suits in the meeting expected it to be.

I'm not buying any and I resent that the only way to get certain mounts etc will be to buy your garbage.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Did you like/use the consumables you received from the Crown Crates?
    I tried it on PTS.
    I don't like them. I will explain more below.

Do you have any general feedback?
    Please reconsider your decision.
    I strongly suggest to not implement crown crates on update 12(live).
    Reasons:
    1) It promotes gambling(it actually mimics real life gambling), which is very negative.

2) Costumes/mounts/other crown store items which had specific window of time to purchase will no longer be unique.
    A lot more players will have them.
    Perfect example: Elven hero costume( I assume it's one of the included costumes).

3) It is based on RNG and thus players can spend hundreds of dollars to get a single item.
    I understand the need to make a profit but this is just bad business.

4) Does it include costumes from achievements ?
    Example: emperor's regalia ?
    If it does, the crown store will become P2W.
    It is cosmetic, but it can only be gained by completing the become Emperor achievement.
    If those crates will provide such items, the achievements and game progression will lose all meaning.
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Abeille wrote: »
    Did anyone get a repeated collectible from the Epic or Legendary tiers? I want to know how many Crown Gems you get for that. I only got repeated collectibles from the Superior tier.

I think I got like 15 Crown Gems from the one purple costume I got duplicates of.

I spent the 5,000 crowns or so on these boxes and only got like 28 Crown Gems. That is pathetic. I'm not going to spend money on crowns to buy crates if that is the rate I'm going to aquire Crown Gems. All the useless crap in those crates needs to be convertable. I don't want crown store potions. They are garbage, as are the crown store food and drinks.
    PC/EU DC
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, let me say that I can now see what the development priority is for ZOS. Special animations, voice overs, and all that. The Crown Crates have more polish and glitter than the rest of the game. If only ZOS would apply themselves like this to the game itself. :cry:

I used all my Crowns and purchased 13 crates (~US$40). I purchased them all at once and it took me a while to figure out how to open them after I was done purchasing. This is pretty much the only "typical ZOS" that found with them. Everything else was a superior presentation and of enhanced usability, when compared to the rest of the game UI. It worked, too. No bugs that I could see. It is like extra time was spend developing and testing this.

Here is what I got:
    Crate #1
    5x Crown Invisibility Potion
    Storm Atronach Transform (Memento)
    5x Crown Survivor's Elixr

Crate #2
    Red Pit Wolf Mount
    Crown Lesson: Riding Capacity
    5x Crown Spellcaster's Elixr

Crate #3
    Battlemage Scout Captain Uniform (costume)
    5x Crown Tri-Restoration Potion

Crate #4
    Crown Repair Kit
    Crown Mimic Stone
    Battlemage Tribune Armor (costume)

Crate #5
    Crown Mimic Stone
    Soul-Shriven Ragged Clothing (costume)

Crate #6
    Crown Soul Gem
    Roostertail Frills (argonian hair)

Crate #7
    Soul-Shriven Armor Outfit (costume)

Crate #8
    Storm Atronach Aura (memento)

Crate #9
    Feathered Bycoket Cap (hat)
    Crown Repair Kit

Crate #10
    5x Crown Warrior's Elixr
    Shornhelm Sheperd (non-combat pet)
    5x Crown Warrior's Elixr

Crate #11
    Soul-Shriven Leather Outfit (costume)

Crate #12 (contained bonus item)
    Crown Mimic Stone
    Crown Repair Kit
    Storm Orb Juggle (memento)
    Shornhelm Shepherd (duplicate non-combat pet ==> 5 gems)

Crate #13
    Azure Brow-to-Temple Circlet (facial accessory)
    Crown Repair Kit

Color Key:
    No Color = Common
    Color Green = Common, but not some potion or elixr
    Color Blue = Superior Reward
    Color Magenta = Epic Reward
    Color Orange = Legendary Reward
    I did not get any Apex Reward items.

Summary of what I got, and my opinion of importance...

Trash <== I don't want this, but will have to use it or toss it

55x Crown Spellcaster's Elixr
    35x Crown Survivor's Elixr
    25x Crown Invisibility Potion
    25x Crown Tri-Restoration Potion
    10x Crown Warrior's Elixr

Better Than Trash <== will probably get used, but is not something I would ever buy

4x Crown Repair Kit
    3x Crown Mimic Stone
    1x Crown Lesson:Riding Capacity
    1x Crown Soul Gem

Cream <== Stuff I will consider buying when not in a Crown Crate
    5x Costume
    3x Memento
    1x Pet
    1x Hat
    1x Hair
    1x Facial Accessory

Question #1: Did you like/use the consumables you received from the Crown Crates?

I do not know what to do with the potion and elixr consumables I got. They would probably just get banked.
    The rest of the stuff would probably get used at some point.

Question #2: Do you have any general feedback?

Does anything I say matter? In the end, it makes me sad. Not because they are being introduced, but because now that I can see what was done, I cry because it is obvious that the game itself is not getting this sort of attention. :unamused:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I did not use the Crown Store Consumables from the gambling boxes. Who would? Better items are available in game, and easily at that. The only consumables I've ever heard of people using were the experience scrolls and riding lessons, and those at least have a cap to how useful they are. Once you're maxed out on all characters with max riding training, there's no need for it anymore.

General Feedback: The gambling boxes remain one of the most flagrantly terrible ideas I've ever seen make it this far through the development cycle. It goes completely against all good sense to add a gambling feature to a cash shop and lock digital goods in as incentives to gamble. It goes completely against what we've come to expect from how we interact with the Crown Store and what we expect from ZOS as a company. This is not Vegas and we did not come here expecting, hoping for, or desiring a secondary gambling service which locks up game content that should otherwise be purchasable for a set price.

The addition of Pacrooti and the lines he has makes the whole experience that much more frustrating. The gambling boxes have been lampooned as preying on the gullible, and here you have Pacrooti saying that "perseverance is a virtue" and other nonsense to goad the player into purchasing more gambling boxes. Pacrooti is either impossibly bad at the math involved to think that getting the item you want via gambling is a matter of "perseverance", or he's a straight up swindler. The same could be said for those who envisioned and designed the gambling boxes to begin with.

Even more troubling, it seems that other items which have yet to appear in the Crown Store (like the Red Pit Wolf), which aren't even related to the "theme" of the gambling boxes, have been locked into the gambling content. How am I going to support a game I love beyond my ESO+ subscription if everything keeps getting put into a gambling game that I will never participate in?

This is all quite a shame, because the items locked up in the gambling service are incredibly cool, and I'd have loved to purchase them outright for a set price. I strongly recommend you consider going that route. Trying to get people to invest more in the game via gambling is a risky decision, and with the years of backlash against such systems it is at this point likely to fail. Indeed, I hope it fails if it moves forward. And I hope that spurs the company to go back to the more honest monetization method that we've come to accept in the standard Crown Store, and I hope that readjustment is massively successful.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord wrote: »
    2) Costumes/mounts/other crown store items which had specific window of time to purchase will no longer be unique.
    A lot more players will have them.
    Perfect example: Elven hero costume( I assume it's one of the included costumes).

"Limited time offer" does not mean "one time only". I think it's fair to offer a second chance to people who missed it the first time around, but not via this method.

4) Does it include costumes from achievements ?
    Example: emperor's regalia ?
    If it does, the crown store will become P2W.
    It is cosmetic, but it can only be gained by completing the become Emperor achievement.
    If those crates will provide such items, the achievements and game progression will lose all meaning.

No, it won't. Also, how is that P2W? it's not like the emperor costume gives you emperor bonuses....
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Either increase the crown gems given from already-owned items, decrease the amount of gems needed to buy those special atronach mounts, or increase their drop rate a bit. Here is why I say this:
    Say, if every crate you bought dropped a costume you already have, you'll get 10 gems. The storm atronach mounts are 400 gems if you want to buy one (assuming their drop rate is extremely low.) With crown crates costing 400 crowns and you get 10 gems every crate, it would take 16 THOUSAND crowns to buy one atronach mount. That's quadruple the price of the frost mare or dro-mathra senche mounts. If you get 5 crown gems for each crate from pre-owned pets, it would take 32 THOUSAND CROWNS. If you buy the 5500 crown packs at regular USD price, it would take over $230 to buy a fricking atronach mount. Do not rip us off, ZOS. You already make money from the crown store and ESO plus.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    >Red Pit wolf which is the closest thing to a fox I'll ever get is "keep dreaming" tier

giphy.gif

Also, I agree with @Recremen. Pacrooti's lines are skeevy and unscrupulous. I continued opening my crates because I wasn't spending money on them, but if I kept hearing his "maybe this one will be the one!"-esque lines while opening crates I'd purchased with my own money, it would probably put me off it.
  • CasNation
    CasNation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really sad to see these actually going in. At this point I know it can't be stopped, and the dev team probably isn't thrilled by this direction either.

These are just plain not customer friendly. You can spin it with PR any way you want, but at the end of the day, these are designed to swindle more money from the consumer. Like a casino. What happened to providing a quality product and maintaining a happy, healthy customer base?

Since I know that these aren't going away like I want them to, I will offer the one bit of advice I can give to make them better (besides making the drop rates better etc and the other metric stuff that we as consumers aren't privy to): allow players to trade ANY items they receive in a crate for crown gems. Not just duplicates. I don't want a bunch of crap potions. You guys know this, so don't feed us the "you'll always get something useful!" line.

There are a bunch of other problems with these, but they've been covered, so I will leave it here for now.
    PC NA AD
    Gamma Fyr: Dunmer Sorcerer Stamina DPS (the Missing Sister...props to those who get the reference)
    Samekh Fyr: Dunmer Nightblade Magicka DPS
    Claire Le'Rouge: Breton Templar Heal/Tank (the Resplendent Bastion)
    Augustus Constantine: Imperial Nightblade PvP (Blackwater Bandit)
    Shadow-of-Sundered-Star: Altmer Dragonknight Lowbie
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    This is all quite a shame, because the items locked up in the gambling service are incredibly cool, and I'd have loved to purchase them outright for a set price. I strongly recommend you consider going that route. Trying to get people to invest more in the game via gambling is a risky decision, and with the years of backlash against such systems it is at this point likely to fail. Indeed, I hope it fails if it moves forward. And I hope that spurs the company to go back to the more honest monetization method that we've come to accept in the standard Crown Store, and I hope that readjustment is massively successful.

I guess it has to be asked whether the items in the Storm Atronach Crate are representative of what will be in November or if they have loaded it up for PTS with stuff they will not release, or not release all at once.

The list of stuff in there that we cannot get otherwise was enough to make me think they really don't value me as a customer.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please don't add this to game.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    MissBizz wrote: »
    Are the crown gem conversation rates the same as planned for live?
    Yes.

Abeille wrote: »
    Khajiit would like some clarification yes. Which of the items available for gems are crate exclusive and which are meant to represent items previously in the store?

Khajiit sees one of two things she would like, however the rate of gems given for duplicate items seems very low.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

I want to know this too.

The "Apex Rewards" are Crown Crates exclusives, right? What about the stuff in the other tiers that were not released yet? Red Pit Wolf, Black Mane Lion? Are these Crown Crates exclusives or will they be sold directly eventually?
    Any item that's a Crown Crate exclusive should say so in the tooltip (it says something along the lines of "Available for purchase in Crown Crates").

I wouldn't use crown store consumables if I had any other option. I'll craft my own food or XP potion or purchase repairs rather than use a real-money option. If my mount is already maxed out a mount lesson is going to be entirely useless. All of these consumables will end up sitting in my bank taking up valuable space, never to be used. Ten Crown Store XP scrolls are already sitting in my bank; obtained from bundles and forever unused. They simply feel too nonrenewable and expensive to use.

I am in it for the costumes, pets, and mounts. That is the sole reason I want to buy a Crown Crate. If everything else other than those items are discarded, opening 5000 crowns worth of crates is very expensive and not at all worth it at the moment. I got a handful of costumes and pets that I am not interested in using which I am fine with as that is part of the gamble. I got a decent amount of duplicates and it didn't feel like I got enough of those crown gem things to afford anything that I did actually want.

There was also no previews for any of the mementos to tell if they were worth spending crown gems on or not.

I like the crates in games such as Team Fortress 2 and Dota 2 because it feels as though you have a good chance at getting the specific item you want as there are generally only a small number of items inside the crate. There are maybe one or two items that I really want in the current crate, and with so many other items in the crate it currently feels like a very big gamble to try to get those one or two items.

Those are my thoughts. I don't know how helpful they were.
    Regarding the preview for mementos, that's something we're planning to add.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I figured to be a good tester, I would take a look at these crates and give you some feedback before I get angry open any.

Possible Contents List
    Pick a format and stick to it. Some of the storm atronach stuff says mount, some doesn't. When you start going down the list this causes the player to not be sure about anything that isn't stated unless they mouse over it. What's the Black Mask Bear-Dog? A mount? Oh, nope, a pet. What about that Clouded Senche-Leopard directly below it? That a pet too? No, it's a mount.

The list needs to be organized in a better fashion, or you need to stick the naming rules. Either write "mount" beside EVERY mount, or don't. Writing it beside every one I think would be preferred.

Can I receive items I cannot use?
    As a buyer it's unclear if I can receive items that are completely unusable by me. I see you have hairstyles etc. in there. This includes an argonian only items. I do not have, nor do I ever plan on creating an Argonian. I assume I'm able to get this? That's absolutely lame. "Here, feel good for spending 400 crowns on some useless potions, poisons AND a hairstyle you actually cannot use". Can we receive horse upgrades if all characters are fully upgraded? Same idea. Even if you do have it set that you can't, it's not clear to me, and that makes my feel uneasy as a consumer.

What items are exclusive to the crown crates? Yet another thing that you make very unclear to the consumer.

If I had to take a wild guess, Apex Rewards are crown store crate only. I'd like to give benefit of the doubt and say since these aren't coming out until later, anything we don't have yet that we see in the other options might have been available by the time these come.

IF I am right, that leaves only one set of exclusive mounts. Which is almost how I imagined it (I imagined less exclusives but whatever).

If I'm incorrect (which as I keep looking I think I might be due to the storm atro memento) and the exclusives are mixed in all the different categories, this absolutely needs to be clarified. Even if I am right it should state Apex is exclusive to the crates.

Apparently they state something in the tool tips. I'm at work now so I'll take a peak when I'm back home. If (since Gina didn't seem 100% sure on what it said) it just says "Available for purchase in crown crates" that's not clear enough. Everything in that gem store (as far as I could tell) is "available for purchase in crown crates". That does not explain what is an exclusive.

Pre-Purchase Conclusion
    Before I even make my very first purchase, I feel like I am making a VERY unclear decision. RNG boxes already took away my ability to make an informed decision on my purchase, but these other tidbits make it even cloudier.

Also - EVERY item in the gem store should be able to be previewed. I cannot currently preview the Storm Atronach Aura, although I'm guessing that's a bug. Confirmed this is a bug.

I will be purchasing the max amount of crates I can each day, and make youtube videos on it. I'll also write up my feedback after my first day buying them, as well hopefully will come back and write my thoughts after a week or so. These were only my thoughts as a consumer pre-purchase.

[edit] Gina posted while I was typing so I edited my post to reflect that.
    Edited by MissBizz on September 20, 2016 7:15PM
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Either increase the crown gems given from already-owned items, decrease the amount of gems needed to buy those special atronach mounts, or increase their drop rate a bit. Here is why I say this:
    Say, if every crate you bought dropped a costume you already have, you'll get 10 gems. The storm atronach mounts are 400 gems if you want to buy one (assuming their drop rate is extremely low.) With crown crates costing 400 crowns and you get 10 gems every crate, it would take 16 THOUSAND crowns to buy one atronach mount. That's quadruple the price of the frost mare or dro-mathra senche mounts. If you get 5 crown gems for each crate from pre-owned pets, it would take 32 THOUSAND CROWNS. If you buy the 5500 crown packs at regular USD price, it would take over $230 to buy a fricking atronach mount. Do not rip us off, ZOS. You already make money from the crown store and ESO plus.

It's worse than that, actually. There is a real chance that you will never get enough to buy even a single mount, even if you're spending literally hundreds of thousands of dollars on these gambling boxes. That's just a mathematical fact. No amount of increased drop rate or increased gem gain or decreased cost will fix that, it's a property of statistics.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if you want something you will just never get it with the conversion rate (you get really low gems for an item you already possess) -> we should get at least the gem cost of the item we already possess
    Edited by Sotha_Sil on September 20, 2016 6:52PM
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, it won't. Also, how is that P2W? it's not like the emperor costume gives you emperor bonuses....

It's P2W even though it's just cosmetic.
    The costume doesn't give the emperor bonuses.
    But I spent a lot of time in grinding AP to get it.
    Also, it provides a certain status of game completion(pvp aspect).

Thanks for the information :)
    At least they won't include costumes from achievements.

Edited by Universe on September 20, 2016 6:59PM
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince