The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

[Feedback] Crown Crates and the rewards bought with Crown Gems

ZunaRoath
ZunaRoath
✭✭✭✭
Right so I really wanted to see how this worked, at first I was afraid by the idea, then I started liking it as I heard the devs talk about it, now I absolutely hate it if it is how it is shown in the PTS.

I'm seeing that items that can be bought with Crown Gems are not sold with normal Crowns, which is what I'm more sad about, if it is how you plan it to be, at least its how it seems from what I see in the PTS. I hope I'm wrong on all this, I really do.

ZOS, you've done really cool stuff, I love the game, and I send feedback tickets constantly about things I like. But this is just ridiculous. I'll start:

1. The crates are really expensive. 400 crowns for the following... Some Crown food, some Crown invisibility potion, some Crown gems, and something I already had that was transformed into very few Crown Gems.
2. Crown food, potions, gems, etc... Why? I mean, yeah, they can be useful, but wouldn't it be better that for this price there are two things that people actually prefer? Because I mean... You can get food, potions and gems in game already that are the same or even better.
3. Crown Gems. Where to start... You get REALLY few crown gems if you get an item you already had. Considering the Apex Rewards are 400 Crown Gems and the Legendary are 100 Crown Gems.
4. Rewards. Right... This is what I'm more disappointed about. I feared that we would get items that you could ONLY get from the Crown Crates. As I'm seeing it now, with Crown Gems you can buy for example this Black Mask Bear-Dog for 100 Crown Gems, which I cannot seem to buy with normal crowns.

In conclusion: If I want this Black Mask Bear-Dog, I've to first buy these expensive crates for 400 crowns each, then pray that I get an item that I had already, to get just a few crown gems, and then that this process repeats quite an ammount of times to get 100 Crown Gems to spend on this pet. So I would probably spend much more money on this than if it was just sold with normal crowns. Which, I would understand for old items, but for new items? For new pets and mounts? Come on... Are you even going to put up new pets or mounts now with just normal crowns instead of the crates?

Solutions to this as I would see:

1. Reduce the cost of the crates, 400 is too expensive for what it is and what it gives.
2. Reduce the cost of the rewards, at least the Legendary and Apex.
3. Give more Crown Gems for repetead items.

I just hope I'm wrong on the Crown Gem-Crowns items, and that these items we've seen like the Wolf Pet, or the Ice Wolf Mount, aren't there bought with Crown Gems, because it would be so damn sad.

If it is like this, please reconsider.

Thank you.
[EU-EP-PC] @Kynes_Peace

Hjalmar Bear-Heart - Main, Stamina Warden
Svari Wild-Hawk - Magicka Nightblade
Hulda the Wild - Stamina Warden
Greg the Witchman - Magicka Necromancer
Cassius Gallus - Stamina Sorcerer
Nari War-Shield - Magicka Templar Healer
Hronvir Winter-Winds - Tank Warden
Zuna Ice-Bear - Stamina DK
  • Delpi
    Delpi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After 10 boxes I just got potions and scrolls so.... I'm more screwed than you lol

I would like if we could exchange some unwanted cards for gems...? Please zos, reconsider this.
    "I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee..."
  • ZunaRoath
    ZunaRoath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Delpi wrote: »
    After 10 boxes I just got potions and scrolls so.... I'm more screwed than you lol

I would like if we could exchange some unwanted cards for gems...? Please zos, reconsider this.

Agree there. They talked about these crown crates literally as: "With these crates you can get items that were in the crown store before, and now they are not."

Not like a: "Crown crates give you random food, potions, scrolls, gems."

Oh yes, ZOS? Really? Because sadly, I kinda see it more as in: "Get these crates, get repetead items, get crown gems, buy more, repeat, and then when you've spent 200€ then buy this retextured pet."

I'm so sad about this.
    Edited by ZunaRoath on September 20, 2016 4:58PM
    [EU-EP-PC] @Kynes_Peace

• Falhael
    Falhael
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't like the idea of those crates right from the beginning, but after seeing it on PTS it's even worse...

I bought 13 crates in total. The worst one contained 1 drink, 1 food, 1 repair kit and 1 soul gem. Seriously?

First of all being an end game player i really don't want crown consumables since they are just not as good as crafted ones (which is a good thing) and second i have completed several 100s of crafting writs, so i could probably repair my gear only using those reapir kits for years, same with soul gems...

Then also think about this (and yes, i know that i cannot buy single ones but nevertheless):
    1 crown soul gem = 40 crowns
    1 crown repair kit = 40 crowns
    1 crown food = 40 crowns
    1 crown drink = 40 crowns
    =160 crowns.
    That crate was 400. I got 20 crown gems for duplicates. After having spent about 5500 crowns. That's about 50€.

I really dislike the crown gem items. What do you think average people are willing/able to spend on a game like this? The pricing of gem rewards is outright ridiculous. Considering the amount of gems i got for duplicates (4x5) it will be several hundreds of euros to get even close to one of those apex rewards.

Those crates are the worst ripoff ever introduced to the game!
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole system is a travesty. Nobody wants to gamble for these items, we want to buy them at a set price. Trying to get us to gamble on them is not only a betrayal of our normal customer-service provider relationship, it in all likely isn't even going to work.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    56071246.jpg
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I was not going to buy them before I really won't now - sounds like garbage.
    Celebrate for life is short but sweet for certain.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got this from 3rd Crate:
    image.jpg
  • ZunaRoath
    ZunaRoath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    Got this from 3rd Crate:
    image.jpg

Gratz! Quite sad tho that this is PTS and not live xD
    [EU-EP-PC] @Kynes_Peace

• Lumifer
    Lumifer
    ✭✭
    I like the idea of the Crown Crates but would rather buy the items at a set price.
    The creates are not worth it at all atm. They need to be changed. They should always drop AT LEAST one rare item with chance of one super rare and then some common items.

I like buying item boxes in SWTOR and the fact that I'm always guaranteed to get one rare item is what keeps me buying those boxes. And also the fact that, if I don't like the items I got I can trade/sell them to other players. Atm, the amount of crown gems you get for duplicates, "unwanted" items, is just too little as well.

Tested the crates on PTS:
    None of the boxes played animation for the cards. The box shows up and when I click it or press E to open nothing happens. I did get the items when I closed the window but I had to exit after every box to open the next one. Relogging didn't help and neither did switching character. I didn't have addons enabled.
    I was lucky and got the Strom Atronach Wolf mount on my second last box and ended up with 63 crown gems. Used 5,2k Crowns for the boxes.. Wouldn't do that on live.
    Edited by Lumifer on September 20, 2016 8:46PM
    AD EU PC
    Filthy Casual
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but nothing to grats about "random wonders"... At least from my personal view on this matter. Yeah quite good you got that awesome item on your first or second try, but the whole system is unfair, a blatant cash grab and cheesy virtual gambling nevertheless.

This is by far the worst thing added to ESO since launch. I'm not even gonna test it on PTS, I really dislike this.
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From 11 boxes i got a hat. I am bursting with joy:
    Screenshot_20160920_184811.png

Some addons prevented completely getting into the open crown boxes screen (the khajit screen). I'll try to find out which one. Disabling all addons enabled the crownbox screen.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • BrianDavion
    BrianDavion
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS needs to make cosmetic items have a much higher drop rate. and include a card for some crown gems in any without it. otherwise people just won't buy the crates
  • roman.rebeccaub17_ESO
    roman.rebeccaub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I'm with everyone else here. REMOVE the consumable items from the crown crates and make the amount of gems you get for dupes worth more. On top of that we should be able to buy all the things in the crown gem list with normal crowns if we wish, not see them locked away. I WOULD LOVE that Red Pit Wolf mount, but ZoS locked it away and with a few crates of getting mostly consumables and 5 gems I gave up.

Save for possibly getting some retired mounts, pets, and costumes, there is no point to this crown crate system.
  • BrianDavion
    BrianDavion
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS needs to make cosmetic items have a much higher drop rate. and include a card for some crown gems in any without it. otherwise people just won't buy the crates

agreed.
  • niawrathb16_ESO
    niawrathb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I have been doing some research on the PTS of the drops I have got... just a tip for others who are testing the crowns reset daily,

Feedback: I agree that the price is quite steep although from the above comments it seems the drop rate has improved. The most reasonable request I could make of ZOS is the Crown Gems for already owned items should be a bit more as the description suggested you would be able to substitute another, I was thinking atleast half the gems required for items of that tier i.e. 8 for superior duplicates and 20 for epic.

Here is a Link to the Spreadsheet
    May you have keen eyes and sharp scythes

Morrigan Duskhunter
    Aldmeri Dominion - Sorcerer

The Reapers Guild - PC/Mac - EU - AD
    The Reapers Guild are recruiting! We run regular events from Motif Gathering to PvP. We run weekly N. Trials and achievement earning events. We have a website we require you to join us on and a Guild Hall with Transmute and Crafting Stations. We also have TS and Crafting Officers. We are a community we love to help so any experience is welcome. We are looking for people who join in! Jump in a group tag along to an event or play and chill in guild chat or on our Teamspeak channel. Really join in and get chub in our fishing events! Get "welcomed to the asylum" by whispering me
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ashes...

I've been begging for One Tam since 2014... Then it was announced, completely open world! A true Scrolls experience! My levels of excitement couldn't be contained by mere words in a forum post.

Then Crown Boxes were announced... And all my excitement, all the hype, the desire to play the game, my plan to drive 10 miles to Pax West and meet the team. It all died, and:

Turned to ashes in my mouth.

Ashes.
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nimander99 wrote: »
    Ashes...

I've been begging for One Tam since 2014... Then it was announced, completely open world! A true Scrolls experience! My levels of excitement couldn't be contained by mere words in a forum post.

Then Crown Boxes were announced... And all my excitement, all the hype, the desire to play the game, my plan to drive 10 miles to Pax West and meet the team. It all died, and:

Turned to ashes in my mouth.

Ashes.

I wanted to play with my friends of other alliances for the longest time, too, but they quit when the Crown Crates were announced. That left me with only friends in the Dominion anyway so the One Tamriel update is kinda irrelevant to me, now .-.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel compelled to add my 2 cents to this...

First of all I agree that it is over priced, and the RNG is pretty awful for costing real money.

But...

Like most corporations they are in this to make money, and since there are no new zones to sell they had to finance this development in some way, and crown bags were the way they came up with to create revenue to offset the expense of developing "One Tamriel."

So before you bash them too bad keep in mind that they are not charging us for all the updates to set items, zones, dueling, dungeons, undaunted chests, etc, but it cost them a lot of developer hours to do it.
    Playing since beta...
  • ZunaRoath
    ZunaRoath
    ✭✭✭✭

First of all I agree that it is over priced, and the RNG is pretty awful for costing real money.

But...

Like most corporations they are in this to make money, and since there are no new zones to sell they had to finance this development in some way, and crown bags were the way they came up with to create revenue to offset the expense of developing "One Tamriel."

So before you bash them too bad keep in mind that they are not charging us for all the updates to set items, zones, dueling, dungeons, undaunted chests, etc, but it cost them a lot of developer hours to do it.

I understand them, as I develop stuff aswell.

But this is not the right way. As I commented on the other post about crates, people are not happy about these crates, not many will buy. However, many would buy those exclusive items from the normal crown store with crowns, or buy crates if they were more cheaper. With how it is seen right now... crates are way too expensive for what they give.

I understand they have to make money, this is just... not a good way.
    [EU-EP-PC] @Kynes_Peace

• Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZunaRoath wrote: »

But...

But this is not the right way. As I commented on the other post about crates, people are not happy about these crates, not many will buy. However, many would buy those exclusive items from the normal crown store with crowns, or buy crates if they were more cheaper. With how it is seen right now... crates are way too expensive for what they give.

Agreed. No one here is trying to get things for free. No one here is arguing that a company shouldn't make money.

The vast majority of people believe in a fair exchange of money for goods. The gambling crate system is not that.

I bought a 2,500 crown Kagouti mount because I wanted to buy it. I would like to buy the red wolf mount when it is released. If it is locked in a crown crate and I pay more than 2,500 crowns and instead of the wolf I receive 2 costumes, a belly dancer veil, a hat, a set of body markings and dozens of consumables I won't use, that is not a fair exchange. I will not buy the crates and the company has lost money from me.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slurg wrote: »

But...

Agreed. No one here is trying to get things for free. No one here is arguing that a company shouldn't make money.

The vast majority of people believe in a fair exchange of money for goods. The gambling crate system is not that.

I bought a 2,500 crown Kagouti mount because I wanted to buy it. I would like to buy the red wolf mount when it is released. If it is locked in a crown crate and I pay more than 2,500 crowns and instead of the wolf I receive 2 costumes, a belly dancer veil, a hat, a set of body markings and dozens of consumables I won't use, that is not a fair exchange. I will not buy the crates and the company has lost money from me.

There was 3 items on the pts for the style parlor I wanted for my Argonian. I planned to buy them when they came even if they were slightly overpriced. One was available on release of style parlor. The other two were just revealed to be crown crate exclusive.

I will not touch those crates. As much as I want them I refuse to be exploited. I'm sick of these random cosmetics in games. I will buy it just let me.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JimT722 wrote: »

But...

There was 3 items on the pts for the style parlor I wanted for my Argonian. I planned to buy them when they came even if they were slightly overpriced. One was available on release of style parlor. The other two were just revealed to be crown crate exclusive.

I will not touch those crates. As much as I want them I refuse to be exploited. I'm sick of these random cosmetics in games. I will buy it just let me.

This is exactly how I feel about the Ice Wolf and the Orchid Nixad.

I mean, the Ice Wolf isn't in the boxes in the PTS, but the Red Pit Wolf is so I assume the Ice Wolf will be too.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abeille wrote: »

But...

This is exactly how I feel about the Ice Wolf and the Orchid Nixad.

I mean, the Ice Wolf isn't in the boxes in the PTS, but the Red Pit Wolf is so I assume the Ice Wolf will be too.

The ironic thing is when they announced crown crates I planned to buy those 2 items when they released then ignore the store and just sub for new content. I haven't even been able to log in since I found out what was in the crates. I thought at the time it would just be the atronach mounts.
  • ZunaRoath
    ZunaRoath
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel exactly like you two.

I can't wait for the Ice Wolf, the normal wolf pet and the Barbarian Costume, but I can't help but think they'll be in these horrible crates of hell.
    [EU-EP-PC] @Kynes_Peace

• JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't wait for the Ice Wolf, the normal wolf pet and the Barbarian Costume, but I can't help but think they'll be in these horrible crates of hell.
    Anything is possible. I thought enveloping scales and rooster frills would be released with style parlor. I was disappointed when it wasn't. I kept checking the monthly crown store updates thinking I would eventually see it. When crates hit pts and people posted what they were getting, there they were. I couldn't believe it, the one place I would never pay into.

When style parlor was on the pts I never thought crown crates would be coming. I made a thread talking about how much I liked it and couldn't wait to buy it. My brother is just laughing at me because I said eso would never come to this and he said it would. I just refused to believe it.
  • ZunaRoath
    ZunaRoath
    ✭✭✭✭

Anything is possible. I thought enveloping scales and rooster frills would be released with style parlor. I was disappointed when it wasn't. I kept checking the monthly crown store updates thinking I would eventually see it. When crates hit pts and people posted what they were getting, there they were. I couldn't believe it, the one place I would never pay into.

When style parlor was on the pts I never thought crown crates would be coming. I made a thread talking about how much I liked it and couldn't wait to buy it. My brother is just laughing at me because I said eso would never come to this and he said it would. I just refused to believe it.

Damn. It's just... something you would pay for, and you see others who have incredible luck have it, and you also want it, but you won't pay for these crates. It is irritating. I can just hope ZOS doesn't put these exclusives only in the crates...
    [EU-EP-PC] @Kynes_Peace

• Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to buy the red wolf mount when it came out. If its a crate exclusive then forget it. I wont be buying crates. Its irritating because they made it sound like only seasonal exclusive mounts and previous store merchandise would be in the crates not everything new.
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭

This is horrible, how they can read this and still have their mind set to implement that? And even that PR [snip] about trying to make money?
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on May 22, 2018 6:27PM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • FoxEsquire
    FoxEsquire
    ✭✭
    The crown crates are a terrible idea, Zenimax. Don't do it. It has gotten universal negative reviews by ESO youtubers, and I've tried it for myself on the PST and think it is horrible. Scrap it while you got time; quit while you are ahead. Gambling is illegal in many places and considered immoral by many. Sell things at set prices. Don't make us spend dozens of dollars, etc. buying all things we didn't want in the first place to get the things we now want. I personally won't be spending a single crown on them even if that means avoiding the items I would really like to get. Please just release the Redpit Wolf mount in the regular crown store for a reasonable amount of crowns. Thank you.
  • UncannyLinderman
    UncannyLinderman
    ✭✭✭
    This is the first I've heard of this (as a console player) and everything I read makes me firmly believe this idea is beyond absurd. I buy plenty out of the crown store, which sometimes I regret because a lot of it is horribly overpriced in real dollars to begin with. But if it's appealing I will usually spend on it regardless.

That said, if they release new things exclusive to a money sucking gamble, they lose money from me. I won't pay my real hard earned dollars on a chance for something I actually want. And no one else should be either. People who WILL spend on these ridiculous things, are only going to give cause for more of it and worse versions of it down the road. Eventually, no matter how pretty and shiny the digital toys are, we all have to put our foot down and force them to remain or become more reasonable by cutting off their income from blatantly screwing with us. When the cash flow stops, so will the bull****.