Maintenance for the week of June 3:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 3, 2:00AM EDT (6:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
· PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Patch notes are up. How long before we are playing the game

• raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a developer and have limited knowledge of these things, but wouldn't it make sense to have 2 servers each for both NA & EU to avoid any maintenance downtime whatsoever? For example, EU server A is up while EU server B is under maintenance, then server B goes up while A is under maintenance, and so on... Sort of a leap-frog thing. I'm sure there are reason why this isn't the case, but... thoughts?

They no doubt do have multiple clustered servers for resilience reasons. But when updating the game in this way, it probably updates some shared databases that cannot be live and locked. They could deploy an entire replicated setup, but that would cost more in terms of kit, software and licenses, plus cost far more to own. It's therefore rare to deploy something that's truly end-to-end replicated except in the most business critical situations, and this is just a game.
    Options
  • Rayya_Blackheart
    Rayya_Blackheart
    ✭✭✭
    Ignotus wrote: »
    Sophieous wrote: »
    And why isn't this posted in the official maintenace thread?

After 7 hours people have to dig through ONE of the MANY maint threads to find this?

I'm sorry lads, that's a bit unprofessional.
    I kept checking the "Maintenance Announcements" section looking for something regarding why, once again, the maintenance is seemingly taking forever. :/ Seems like a good place to put that information imo.

Dev tracker :D
    PC NA Rayya Blackheart pitiful DPS NB CP160
    PC NA Phaedra Phoenix beast mode Templar Healer CP160
    PC NA lvl6 Mudcrab
    Options
  • Bigevilpeter
    Bigevilpeter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just a quick note to let you all know that we have encountered a technical issue during today's maintenance for the NA and EU PC/Mac megaservers. As a result, the maintenance window has been extended. Apologies for the extended downtime. We'll keep you updated; thank you for your patience.

Dont do so many freaking maintenance if you are going to mess up the servers everytime and do more damage than harm by making a few fixes
    Options
  • Sylosi
    Sylosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pibbles wrote: »
    They no doubt do have multiple clustered servers for resilience reasons. But when updating the game in this way, it probably updates some shared databases that cannot be live and locked. They could deploy an entire replicated setup, but that would cost more in terms of kit, software and licenses, plus cost far more to own. It's therefore rare to deploy something that's truly end-to-end replicated except in the most business critical situations, and this is just a game.

Yet there are MMORPGs that do that or something similar and have virtually no down time other than chucking people out the game to update the client, e.g - Guild Wars 2.

Options
  • blackdragon06
    blackdragon06
    ✭✭✭
    I loose all my monday.

And what about tomorrow ? DDOS attack ?

Edited by blackdragon06 on August 22, 2016 4:33PM
    Options
  • BFT88
    BFT88
    ✭✭✭✭
    Smdh. Guess people still don't read the things they agree to when creating an account:

ZeniMax does not guarantee that any Services will be available at all times, in all countries and/or all geographic locations, at any given time, or that ZeniMax will continue to offer any particular Services for any particular length of time. Except as prohibited by applicable law and subject to the Statutory Obligations (as defined in Section 1), ZeniMax reserves the right to change and update Content without notice to You. ZeniMax also reserves the right to refuse Your request(s) to acquire Content, and to limit or block any request to acquire Content, including, but not limited to, Downloadable Content and Game Mods, for any reason.
    Options
  • Volla
    Volla
    ✭✭✭
    Maintenance Dou to porly made patch that makes problems seems like its dome over and over again....
    Options
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    KingMagaw wrote: »
    Just a quick note to let you all know that we have encountered a technical issue during today's maintenance for the NA and EU PC/Mac megaservers. As a result, the maintenance window has been extended. Apologies for the extended downtime. We'll keep you updated; thank you for your patience.

Happens every time, nothing new here.

Did it just pop into your head to make a forum post, after ~7 hours of applying a minuscule ~96mb patch? Nice work continually and blatantly showing pure incompetence to the people who sub and support the game. I can rest well knowing Z0$ are basically flushing the pocket change re-investment money straight down the toilet.

assuming the servers been down "all day" for you.. where would you like them to mail the 50 cents you're out?

Some people can't see the forest for the trees. This down time is not a one time event. We lose playing time beyond what is expected for 'maintenance'. Say down time totaled 2 weeks over the course of a year. You might not stop to pick up 50 cents, but I bet you would for $7. Then again, some of us live in a fantasy world where principles. matter. But that's not the world we really live in.
    Edited by Ourorboros on August 22, 2016 4:36PM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
    Options
  • sethamon
    sethamon
    "The Grip of Madness: Fixed an issue with the bears associated with this quest that was preventing players from completing the quest."

It must take awhile to get those bears back in line B)

They're in revolt over the hideous saddles they've been forced to wear.

What was the bug ? I completed that quest without a problem like a week ago.
    Options
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Girlfriend is happy -_-
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "Death is overrated", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
    Options
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylosi wrote: »

Yet there are MMORPGs that do that or something similar and have virtually no down time other than chucking people out the game to update the client, e.g - Guild Wars 2.

Interesting. It seemed like overkill for a game, but clearly if the GW2 developers can do it, there's nothing stopping a big outfit like ZOS doing it.
    Edited by raglau on August 22, 2016 4:37PM
    Options
  • dpgirl
    dpgirl
    ✭✭
    I'm not a developer and have limited knowledge of these things, but wouldn't it make sense to have 2 servers each for both NA & EU to avoid any maintenance downtime whatsoever? For example, EU server A is up while EU server B is under maintenance, then server B goes up while A is under maintenance, and so on... Sort of a leap-frog thing. I'm sure there are reason why this isn't the case, but... thoughts?

yes... just double multi-million dollar server farms, which includes more than just the hardware and electricity, but the employees, building space, cooling, etc etc... awesome idea... would probably take forced subscriptions back at $30/month.
    Options
  • blackdragon06
    blackdragon06
    ✭✭✭

For each bug fixed Zenimax make 2 other bugs >:)
    Options
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sits all day waiting for servers to come back online...
    Logs into game and do nothing. :)

Actually, we have a raid in 1 hour
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
    Options
  • missjackieb14_ESO
    missjackieb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    crowfl56 wrote: »
    I just luv hearing people complain that the game isn't running.

So many peeps that have no lives, other than ingame.

So many things you should be doing, instead of waiting and complaining about a game to start.

Go take a shower, its been at least a week.

Clean the room or house, I know it has to need some attention.

GO BACK TO School and try to learn some manners.

Go outside and play, someday you will wish you did.

What are these things you speak of? Go... outside? Whaaaaaaaaaa?!
    Options
  • Cloroplatinico
    Hey y'all. Right now we're looking at around 1pm EDT to complete maintenance, though please understand that's just a rough estimate. We'll let you know if that changes as soon as we have some more information.
    Hey y'all. Right now we're looking at around 1pm EDT to complete maintenance, though please understand that's just a rough estimate. We'll let you know if that changes as soon as we have some more information.

What about giving all subscribers 4 days free subscription instead of posting useless apologizes, since this is the 4th time in a month you consume one entire game play day just because you have technical issues?
    Options
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    KingMagaw wrote: »

Happens every time, nothing new here.

Did it just pop into your head to make a forum post, after ~7 hours of applying a minuscule ~96mb patch? Nice work continually and blatantly showing pure incompetence to the people who sub and support the game. I can rest well knowing Z0$ are basically flushing the pocket change re-investment money straight down the toilet.

assuming the servers been down "all day" for you.. where would you like them to mail the 50 cents you're out?

Some people can't see the forest for the trees. This down time is not a one time event. We lose playing time beyond what is expected for 'maintenance'. Say down time totaled 2 weeks over the course of a year. You might not stop to pick up 50 cents, but I bet you would for $7. Then again, some of us live in a fantasy world where principles. matter. But that's not the world we really live in.

There's that rather bothersome word again.

expected.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
    Options
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giving ETA in both US and EU time zones costs nothing (well... 1/2 sec. brain work to think of it, 20 seconds googling it) and does A LOT in us feeling less ignored, more respected and more patient and understanding.

PR 101.

Options
  • Dread_Viking
    Dread_Viking
    ✭✭✭✭
    Giving ETA in both US and EU time zones costs nothing (well... 1/2 sec. brain work to think of it, 20 seconds googling it) and does A LOT in us feeling less ignored, more respected and more patient and understanding.

PR 101.

you are right but it seems like it is to much work for them
    Don't worry girl I'm a Sorcerer, i got my Hardened Ward for protection
    Options
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos plz im getting the shakes here, i havent played for 15 hours
    Options
  • VoiDGhOs7
    VoiDGhOs7
    ✭✭✭✭

Fishes are waiting for ya!!! :D
    Options
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

PR 101.

Not to be argumentative but which European time zone should they use?

GMT, CET, BST or one of the several others?

As you said it's very quick to google the right time for where you are in Europe. :)

Edit:- Btw I am in Europe and I did google it as soon as the post came up.
    Edited by freespirit on August 22, 2016 4:52PM
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
    Options
  • BFT88
    BFT88
    ✭✭✭✭
    These guys still don't get it XD

ZeniMax does not guarantee that any Services will be available at all times, in all countries and/or all geographic locations, at any given time, or that ZeniMax will continue to offer any particular Services for any particular length of time. Except as prohibited by applicable law and subject to the Statutory Obligations (as defined in Section 1), ZeniMax reserves the right to change and update Content without notice to You. ZeniMax also reserves the right to refuse Your request(s) to acquire Content, and to limit or block any request to acquire Content, including, but not limited to, Downloadable Content and Game Mods, for any reason.

You.
    All.
    Agreed.
    To.
    Not.
    Be.
    Guaranteed.
    Server.
    Uptime.

Lock this useless thread please.
    Edited by BFT88 on August 22, 2016 4:52PM
    Options
  • Argonian_Jesus
    The lord is not pleased
    Reeh-Teeus EP Nightblade
    Options
  • Unlikely_Ghostbuster
    Unlikely_Ghostbuster
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just come back to the game after a year off, generally pleased with the changes I see.

But clearly some things never change. ZOS not quite got the hang of patching yet, and the age old hunt for an official patch announcement amongst obscure forum posts.

Same here. I left in December 2014, returned this past February. Always enjoyed playing the game, but absolutely hated the way Zo$ "handles" their customers.

Zo$ insists they actively engage the community and constantly brag about how they value our feedback, but they rarely explain themselves when "mistakes were made." Apologies are dry, insincere, and rarely an actual consolation to players.

The reason I left? Before the champion system began its gradual implementation, in the first week of October, just when players were drifting away from the game due to the lack of end-game progression to new autumn titles such as Dragon Age 3, Destiny, and WildStar, Zo$ said (to paying subscribers) that they were "tracking our XP" and that it would be converted into Champion Points when the system dropped in Spring of 2015. Fast-forward 10 weeks. Loyal customers stayed loyal on the promise of an XP/CP exchange rate, rolling and leveling alt characters, and staying paid subscribers. Zo$ announces on the December 2014 episode of ESO Live that there would be no XP/CP exchange, they weren't tracking our XP, and everyone would get a flat 30 CP when the new system is implemented. And then, in the classic Zo$ we-don't-explain style, they did NOT give any rationale for the bomb they dropped and left for holiday vacation.

Whether or not Zo$ deliberately lied to players in October 2014 to keep them subscribed, paying monthly, and funding what many people felt was nothing more than Beta-testing for consoles, I cannot say. My point is, was, and continues to be that Zo$ won't say *either* -- no explanation was ever offered. However, I do know that within weeks of when I left the game, it went buy-to-play with "E$O+" subscriptions. They eventually acknowledged the outrage and increased the flat CP amount from 30 to 70, but that acknowledgement never entailed an EXPLANATION.

The unidirectional communication is why I left the game in 2014. I'm getting more and more worried that, despite the incredible improvements to the game itself, I'm going to *again* grow tired of the selective messaging and issue avoidance Zo$ uses almost as masterfully as candidates for political office. Imperial City, Wrothgar, Thieves Guild, and Dark Brotherhood have been fun, but the *content* has never been this game's problem.
    Options
  • Arthg
    Arthg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find ZOS's minimalistic communication to be borderline scornful and insulting.

Seven hours into the maintenance they send a vague message.

I understand (I think) that maintenance is necessary, but communicating with customers on issues and durations, especially when it's as long as today, is just COURTESY.
    PC/EU. NoCP PvP. sDK Orc IRL. Flawless tamperor. Pro scrub.
    Options
  • Amset Ra
    Amset Ra
    ✭✭✭
    ...technical issues?

Maybe they should ask for Hilary to help out. She knows about technical issues and how to handle a server! ^^

Options
  • Dread_Viking
    Dread_Viking
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amset Ra wrote: »
    ...technical issues?

Maybe they should ask for Hilary to help out. She knows about technical issues and how to handle a server! ^^

cant get any worse then it is
    Don't worry girl I'm a Sorcerer, i got my Hardened Ward for protection
    Options
  • missjackieb14_ESO
    missjackieb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Pffbt, I get the shakes if I don't play for 3-4 hours.
    Options
  • blackdragon06
    blackdragon06
    ✭✭✭
    Arthg wrote: »
    I find ZOS's minimalistic communication to be borderline scornful and insulting.

Seven hours into the maintenance they send a vague message.

I understand (I think) that maintenance is necessary, but communicating with customers on issues and durations, especially when it's as long as today, is just COURTESY.

How can they communicate if they don't know what the problem is... else it was resolved since few hours !
    Options
This discussion has been closed.