Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Thieves Guild: First Look"

• Scraelos
    Scraelos
    ✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    Scraelos wrote: »
    A new passive skill line exclusive to members of the Thieves Guild
    Players without DLC will not gain access to that skill line? Will these 'exclusive' passive skills break balance? Or it is free DLC available for everyone?

> Subscribe for a month
    > Join TG with all your characters
    > Cancel Subscription
    > Done.

This is not normal sollution, I suppose. And I have subscription.
  • Fruity_Ninja
    Fruity_Ninja
    ✭✭✭
    Cously wrote: »
    Scrolling combat text (SCT)
    Will it include a DPS meter and buff tracker and improved character sheet information?

This is pretty crucial. I was under the impression that a buff/debuff tracker was going to come with the scrolling combat text, it is pretty crucial on console given how hard it is to track the visuals of certain buffs...

@ZOS_GinaBruno can you confirm?
    Edited by Fruity_Ninja on January 21, 2016 3:56PM
  • Witar
    Witar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This new location is a group content like craglorn right?
    It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
    Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt,
    It lies behind stars and under hills,
    And empty holes it fills,
    It comes first and follows after,
    Ends life, kills laughter.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    B6d4GFs.jpg
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HYPE
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Around 0:08 you see a guy climbing on a crate.

Is there now suddenly parcour in TESO? Would be awesome:

https://youtu.be/TbpZki26f00?t=8
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • petraeus1
    petraeus1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Witar wrote: »
    This new location is a group content like craglorn right?

I don't think it's an adventure zone with group quests, but with new world bosses and a trial, there's group content there for sure.
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A passive skill line, not bad... looking forward to it!

I see some of the monsters from the on hold Murkmire have been brought over to this DLC instead too... sneaky sneaky! :)
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Niaver
    Niaver
    ✭✭✭✭
    So i'm really excited about acces to all zones from vr1. I hope they will scale like DLCs.
    But... passives for DLC? So it's basically P2W?
    PC EU - Daggerfall Covenant - @Niaver
    Erazar (main) - Khajit DK tank

Proud owner of Maelstrom Sharpened Bow
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks awesome and I'm really excited for another trial. It's interesting that the name is Maw of Lorkhaj since that's the Khajiiti name for Lorkhan, when presumably the area is influenced by Yokudan culture. I am sure there is all kinds of interesting lore behind it.

For the trial I hope that it will provide enough challenge for a while (like DSA or SO did), though without such a ridiculous fight as the RNG Mantikora, whose attacks are (still) based completely on RNG and encourages players to find ways to avoid the mechanics because it is too unpredictable to form a proper strategy with above 50% success rate.

Hopefully the new skills for Thieves' Guild are exciting, perhaps even a stealth for non-nightblade characters? And I'm interested to see what kind of Ultimate we'll get too.

While this is still sort of a shallow idea of what the DLC will entail, it is certainly preferable to Orsinium, which is really good fun, but only has singleplayer content. A good expansion should feature several types of gameplay variants, solo and group, pve and pvp.

Anyway, I can't wait to mess around with this on the PTS soon.
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Players without DLC will not gain access to that skill line? Will these 'exclusive' passive skills break balance? Or it is free DLC available for everyone?

> Subscribe for a month
    > Cancel Subscription
    > Done.

I would imagine the skill will disappear and your skillpoints refunded if you drop your sub (and haven't bought it outright).
    Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
    Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
    Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
    Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

> Subscribe for a month
    > Cancel Subscription
    > Done.

I would imagine the skill will disappear and your skillpoints refunded if you drop your sub (and haven't bought it outright).

Can't imagine they'd hide an entire skill line behind a paywall anyway, right? RIGHT??
  • hagg3n
    hagg3n
    Soul Shriven
    Casting spells with your hand at the end of the video, is that already in the game?
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kena is already behind a paywall. Wan the goodies? Pay for it. They are a business not charity. That said I paid for it and never got the actual helmet as RNG sucks, vWGT run #10292183131714 here we go.
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

> Subscribe for a month
    > Cancel Subscription
    > Done.

Can't imagine they'd hide an entire skill line behind a paywall anyway, right? RIGHT??

That's the point of a DLC! I would imagine the skill line is more fluff-related (eg like the current Intimidation passive) or tied to specific activities in the DLC. But who knows! This puts ZOS in a tough spot: if the abilities are useful/powerful it will be called P2W (and generate a lot of revenue), if they aren't it will be ridiculed with people saying "that crap isn't worth my money."
    Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
    Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
    Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
    Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did I see some awesome looking Redguard-inspired costumes in there? So happy Redguards are getting more love! :)
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • petraeus1
    petraeus1
    ✭✭✭✭
    ListerJMC wrote: »
    Did I see some awesome looking Redguard-inspired costumes in there? So happy Redguards are getting more love! :)

They reminded me a lot of the Breton Hero costume that's supposedly coming, likely with this DLC.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Me, I'm pumped for the Thieves Guild. Both TG and DB had some pretty awesome quest lines in TES: Oblivion, which were way more memorable than the main story. So it's only natural that I expect something worth of this tradition. :wink:
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

> Subscribe for a month
    > Cancel Subscription
    > Done.

That's the point of a DLC! I would imagine the skill line is more fluff-related (eg like the current Intimidation passive) or tied to specific activities in the DLC. But who knows! This puts ZOS in a tough spot: if the abilities are useful/powerful it will be called P2W (and generate a lot of revenue), if they aren't it will be ridiculed with people saying "that crap isn't worth my money."

If it's just fluff or only useful to the DLC itself, no problem. I guess we'll know more once it hits the PTS
  • Darkheart
    Darkheart
    ✭✭✭
    To have 64 Bit Client, do we need to download the whole client again?
    Returning Home to Daggerfall.
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @petraeus1 yes I saw stuff like that too! I just really want a nice headdress for my Redguard and I think I saw some in there which makes me happy. Or at least something better than the silly helmet Redguards get with their veteran armor!

I just had another thought though, I don't suppose we have the option to work against the guild if we don't want to choose the thug life?
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • gruntb16_ESO2
    gruntb16_ESO2
    Soul Shriven
    Looks very good B)
    Edited by gruntb16_ESO2 on January 21, 2016 4:31PM
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    Hopefully the new skills for Thieves' Guild are exciting, perhaps even a stealth for non-nightblade characters? And I'm interested to see what kind of Ultimate we'll get too.

They said passive skill line so no new ability or ultimates by the looks of it.

PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hours of exciting new story content and quests that will take you through all your favorite areas of Tamriel
    Hype!
    Improvements to grouping including incentives and cross-alliance grouping outside of the Grouping Tool
    Hype Hype!
    Access to content from other alliances in any order you choose upon reaching Veteran Rank 1
    HYPE HYPE HYPE!!

All aboard!!!
    IcOqh.jpg

The Iron Wheel sounds interesting. I wonder if there is there anything left of the Violet Lamp/Twilight Lodge storyline that was found in datamining... (@ZOS_GinaBruno ?) And are those three estates in Grahtwood, Deshaan and Alik'r (Molemir's Estate, Sysa's Estate, and Zibadan's Estate, respectively) involved in any of the new content?

Now then, some questions that I hope will be addressed in future info-drops:
    • Will the Thieves Guild follow the same quest setup as the Fighters/Mages Guilds? Namely, one quest per "rank" corresponding loosely to minimum character levels 8, 15, 25, 33, 43?
    • Per @Gidorick 's question on ESO Live, will there be any comparative content in the Thieves Guild DLC for players who don't play thieves? ("Comparative" content means the fact that "There's a new Trial" is not an appropriate answer.) And related:
      • Will anyone be able to go to Hew's Bane, or is it just for TG members? How big is the zone?
      • The "exciting new story content and quests" in "your favourite areas of Tamriel" sounds like it will re-utilize the existing zones. Is that just Thieves Guild content? Might we be seeing Guild dailies or other reasons to return to our home alliance zones?
    • Where is the Maw of Lorkhaj? With a name like that, it sounds Khajiiti, and therefore not something you'd find in a region of Hammerfell. I hope it isn't connected to the Thieves Guild stuff and has a separate story of its own.
    • Cross-alliance grouping outside the grouping tool -- still just for dungeons, or are we going to see the beginnings of Cross-Faction Neutral Zones?
    • Per @Legoless above, how will "access to [...] other alliances in any order you choose" affect Cadwell's quests? Hopefully it will be similar to the system I've always promoted, in which Cadwell's dialogue is not affected in any way.
    Edited by Enodoc on January 21, 2016 4:29PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • petraeus1
    petraeus1
    ✭✭✭✭
    ListerJMC wrote: »
    @petraeus1 yes I saw stuff like that too! I just really want a nice headdress for my Redguard and I think I saw some in there which makes me happy. Or at least something better than the silly helmet Redguards get with their veteran armor!

I just had another thought though, I don't suppose we have the option to work against the guild if we don't want to choose the thug life?

@listerjmc I can't help but think we might have with Justice PvP, but since that's been cancelled, I doubt it. I dunno, I remember they also had plans for PvE things for the Enforcers, so there might still be something to do in that regard. Doesn't seem like it from the current announcement though.
  • Dermestes
    Dermestes
    ✭✭
    Maybe our Khajiit carnage passive will work....
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Darkheart wrote: »
    To have 64 Bit Client, do we need to download the whole client again?

Nope, not the whole thing, since the art and sound data can be used regardless, and they make up the bulk of space used. Binaries will need to be exchanged/added (this includes third party libraries as well) , and since the OpenGL renderer will now support version 4.1, there may be new GFX stuff added, like shaders, etc.
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Access to content from other alliances in any order you choose upon reaching Veteran Rank 1

@ZOS_GinaBruno, is this correct? Or should it really read "After completing the Main Quest." I believe it to be the latter because of the story arc, but . . .
  • Sempars
    Sempars
    ✭✭✭
    **Prioritization of animations during combat

what does that mean? stopping animation canceling?
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    Around 0:08 you see a guy climbing on a crate.

Is there now suddenly parcour in TESO? Would be awesome:

https://youtu.be/TbpZki26f00?t=8

This is a highly underrated observation. They are not jumping on the crate. That is clearly a mantle animation and new.
    Edited by Dominoid on January 21, 2016 4:30PM