Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ATTN: ZOS ~~Mega Post of Issues with the Game and its Current Problems with Balance!!!

NVNiko
NVNiko
✭✭✭
@ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_GinaBruno

These are the collaborative opinions of the guild "M12", not a single streamer or 1 v X'r such as Fengrush, Sypher, or King Richard. We should be focusing on the opinions to the Majority of ESO players and just one field of Gameplay. M12 is a community of 500 "Active" guild members on the AD NA server most of which have been known to top the Leaderboards in both PVE and PVP content over the duration from the game from beta until today. We have been quiet for awhile but it's time for our voice to be heard and answered from ZOS and the community and this is the reason for this post.

Class Abilities

Chart describing imbalances between classes >https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnc7qpewlgwy7pk/ESO balance.docx?dl=0
(Great chart submitted by @GreyBrow )
e2iDPbw.jpg
l4GpusT.jpg
UgpnfnF.jpg
gNYxbPO.jpg

The important thing to keep in mind is that these changes only require the modification of 15 skills. Each class ahs 15 skills iwth two possible morph choices, which provides 30 different options. If these changes were implemented, it would allow for the possibility of each class to have access to the same BASIC skill set, while still providing unique class identity through the remaining 15 morph options, ultimates, passives, itemization, armor type and weapon skill lines. Clearly, this is the most logical approach to solving the problems of class balance, at least initially, eliminating the QQ that "this or that is OP" while still allowing for class identity and satisfying the issue of class equality and "play how you want"

--Major Resolve needs to be uniform across all classes, specifically the nightblade and the templar which should be able to ingnite the Major resolve buff comparable to the way Dragon Knights and Sorcerer's can.

--Every class should have an intant-cast skill that does immediate damage on cast. Specifically the Sorcerer which has no instant cast abilities that do damage on cast comparable to flame whip, funnel health, surprise attack, or puncturing sweep. Instead Sorcs have to rely on force pulse where the other classes do not.

--Templars need a hard crowd control ability comparable to the other classes. Certain primary class abilities should be uniform across all classes.
Shields

- Every Class should have the ability to play as a DPS, Tank or Healer comparably as envisioned by Zenimax's original game model. Certain classes should have certain advantages and disadvantages when it comes to each role of the game: Tanking, Damage dealing, and healing. And at the same time be able to have similar mitigation, dps, and heals

- Magicka and Stamina users should have separate morphs in class trees this way stamina and magicka users have equal opportunities when creating build and not being penalized for being a magicka or stamina user. Each user should have equal opportunities in thier style of play.

OverFlow Damage-"Damage shields in ESO absorb unmitigated damage (don't factor in armor, spell resist, etc). If a player has 1k damage left on their shield, but is facing an incoming attack dealing 10k unmitigated damage, the shield will absorb that 1k while the remaining 9k hits the player directly without factoring in their armor, spell resist, etc. This is not something players can affect (e.g. by relogging) but is how damage shields work in the game. Best way around is to spam your damage shields so they are always refreshed. For the same reason, the damage shield glyphs on weapons are terrible choices because it will likely cause you to take more damage rather than less since the shield is so small virtually any incoming attack will go through mostly unmitigated."

Players want the ability to crit against shields and proc specific class dps passives (*Burning Light) against shields, if this is the case shields need to be buffed in someway to compensate for the extra damage from the crits and procs, maybe a 75% shield in pvp.
http://gamerelated.info/2015/08/25/elder-scrolls-online-long-standing-bugsissues-that-all-players-should-be-aware-of/

Magicka VS Stamina Imbalances

Light Armor Vs Medium Armor - Besides the differences in actual physical armor the passives each type of armor get are not even comparable. The Agility passive gives 12% more weapon damage where the Concentration passive only gets 4884 Spell Penetraion. The Concentration passive needs to get buffed by offering more Penetration or Spell Damage

Spell Damage Vs Weapon Damage - More or less Weapon damage users have about 1000 more raw damage over magicka builds. This is a huge imbalance especially when it comes to aoe's that have more range

Elemental Ring Vs Steel Tornado - Steel Tornado has a range of 12.5 meters which actually hits for 490 square meters and Elemental Ring has a range of 6 meters which hits at 113 sq meters. The imbalance in range and coupled with the imbalance in raw damage makes magicka users half as effective than stamina users in aoe situations. Besides that Stamina users also get there damaged buffed by the ruffian passive as well as the Duel Weld execute while while both morphs of elemental ring get purged!!

Flawless Dawnbreaker - 8% more raw damage for Stamina users where Magicka users have no equivalent that comes close to this. This skill needs to be changed or give something comparable to magicka users.

Champion Points
Spell Damage Mitigation VS Physical Damage Mitigation
- We have 2 perks that mitigate spell damage which are Elemental Defender and Hardy. But when it comes to physical mitigation we only have the armor perks which gives us diminished returns specifically on light armor/magicka users
Elenente - v16 Magick Sorc
Niko Ardentinferno - V16 Magick DK
Shadow Spellweaver - V16 Magicka NB
Elen'ente - V16 Stamina Sorc
Git Gud Plox - V16 Stamina NB
Aedric Wrath - V16 Magicka Templar
Elf Slapper - V16 Stamina Templar
Healthy Overload - V16 Nord Sorc
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome post! Great job to all involved!
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just a quick question based on your chart.
    You do realise that the same abilities with different visual effects won't do anything good to the game, right? That's what happend to wow and it turned out...not very good.
    We need counterweights, not the same skill sets.
    Feel free to disagree ofcourse.
    Edited by Anhedonie on January 14, 2016 7:02PM
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • petraeus1
    petraeus1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anhedonie wrote: »
    Just a quick question based on your chart.
    You do realise that the same abilities with different visual effects won't do anything good to the game, right? That's what happend to wow and it turned out...not very good.
    We need counterweights, not the same skill sets.
    Feel free to disagree ofcourse.

I agree on this. Balance is very important, but possibly equally important is to keep a clear distinction between classes and playstyles. If NBs can do the same things as a Templar, than you might as well do away with classes. Rather how do you counter out certain comps. The chart suggests all the holes should be filled for each class. I'm inclined to disagree.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting sleepy and absent-minded so I'll just write a response to a part of your, no doubt, very thought out post:)

It seems like you're trying to make all classes not just equal, but the same. Wouldn't that be a bit boring?
    The game as it is now is in no way balanced but just something that came to mind when I was trying to magicka dps on my DK for the first time pretty much ever yesterday...maybe that's how it should be? I missed my OP sorc shield on my DK but I thoroughly enjoyed having a spammable class attack(Whip...also that sound!<3). Also chains gave me the utility/cc my sorc can only dream of, but at the price of mobility I lost with Bolt Escape(plus having to be in melee range all the time pretty much). And of course I loved Battle Roar passive effect when using ultimates but missed my sorc ulti cost reduction and Overload. I died heaps because it was so different from what I'm used to but it was somewhat fun and definitely very different.

Maybe that's the idea? Each class has something unique and special to them and it's not so bad. Where do your "should be" abilities come from? If we all had them instead of our special class abilities, what is the point of classes then - different animations?

Of course not to say ZOS doesn't need to work on fixing bugs and balancing but overall, maybe it's time to leave the class defining abilities alone and just enjoy classes being different from each other.
  • NVNiko
    NVNiko
    ✭✭✭
    Not exactly the same skill but every class deserves some sort of decent self heal, cc, or inta-cast damage ability. Why is Maelstrom 10 times harder on a DK? Why can't a magicka Templar contend with DK DPS? I am in no way saying every class should have the same exact abilities with different animations just give them something comparable.
    Edited by NVNiko on January 14, 2016 6:14PM
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel that the authors were trying to say:
    "In order to have balance, we must first get back to the basics of having everything be equivalent, then you can add on to each one to make it unique."
    I believe this was how Zenimax/Bethesda started the game, as dk's & sorc's have "similar/some equivalent" abilities, yet nightblades & templars are completely not inline with the first two.
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • ScooberSteve
    ScooberSteve
    ✭✭✭✭
    Each class has its advantages and disadvantages, if they were all equal that would be boring as hell not to mentiom theyd be played similar
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks so much for the feedback, @NVNiko (and the rest of M12)! We'll be sure to pass this along to the team so they can take a look.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Julianos
    Julianos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awsome post. You explained pretty much everything why i stopped playing this game. Agreed %100.
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blazing spear is a ground effect from templar
    #MOREORBS
  • Julianos
    Julianos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each class has its advantages and disadvantages, if they were all equal that would be boring as hell not to mentiom theyd be played similar

Already most people playing stamina builds and most of them are NB and everyone uses clone builds. Isnt that boring as hell ?
  • gw2only1b14_ESO
    gw2only1b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Kinda correct as you may have to go thru your weapon skill set to gain a similar ability that is the strength of another class or go thru a pve/pvp line to gain some similar type of skill as well. I prefer class diversity and play style diversity and hybrid classes are great to the game

Your so right there would be cookie cutter but yet thats what players are trying for.

TBH that is what alts are for...
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with most things but dont confuse balance with same skills for all every class has to feal unique
  • Fuzzybrick
    Fuzzybrick
    ✭✭✭
    No, no, no. @ZOS_GinaBruno please ignore this post. Classes SHOULD NOT BE EQUAL. One class should always be better than another. One class should always do something another can't. If all classes are "balanced" as you say there will be no need for any of my alts. I want to roll different characters because they are DIFFERENT!
    Edited by Fuzzybrick on January 14, 2016 6:37PM
    "A TROLL, HUH? WELL, THERE'S ONLY ONE SOLUTION FOR THAT, DESTROY ALL THE BRIDGES IN THE WORLD!"-- Uncle Grandpa

VR 16 Stamina Templar
    VR 16 Magicka Templar
    VR 16 Magicka NB
    VR 16 Stamina DK
    VR 16 Magicka DK
    VR 16 Stamina Sorc
    VR 16 Magicka Sorc

• NVNiko
    NVNiko
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with most things but dont confuse balance with same skills for all every class has to feal unique

Agreed but people seem to think I want all the classes to be the same in reality I just want skills to be comparable to other skills or have each class have a specialized version of it
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would have been better had you removed the adjectives and personal opinions from your chart that is trying to give an objective presentation of what each class has and does not have. I spent more time saying to myself "this person is overrating templars" (jabs "huge" self heal? No. Liquid Lightning "high" damage? No. BoL "huge" self heal? What does that make healing ward, gargantuan? RD, "huge" damages below <35%? No. Shards "High initial damage"? No) than anything else.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 2 type of people who should be responding to this post.
    #1) The player who has played all toons.
    #2) The player who is considered by others (possibly himself) as an expert of a particular class. (& that person should only comment regarding their class).
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree @Anhedonie and @ScooberSteve and I urge cation with this approach. Using a graph like the one you posted is a great way to analyze a classes strenghts and weaknesses, I did something very similar with my post on Sorcerer Stamina Builds vs the stamina builds of other classes and why the stamina Sorcerer doesn't match up.

But at the end of the day, you want the classes to feel unique and have different strengths and weaknesses for the full rock paper scissors balance approach.

If you give every class access to the same buffs and effects, then the classes only differ by their particle effects.

Every class needs at least one exclusive, unique "show stopper" of sorts. Unfortunately in this game, most of the show stoppers for each class have been nerfed. RIP negate, blazing shield, streak, Dragon Blood, Blinding Flashes, DK standard etc

(except for Nightblade that seemed to have cloaked out of most nerfs).
    Edited by Yolokin_Swagonborn on January 14, 2016 6:51PM
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a lot of good stuff in this post. The imbalances need to be addressed. However, I am NOT in favor of this level of streamlining. I agree that all classes need their abilities to have similar levels of power/usefulness, but they don't need to become mechanically identical and only visually different.
    Edited by timidobserver on January 14, 2016 6:50PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Fuzzybrick wrote: »
    No, no, no. @ZOS_GinaBruno please ignore this post. Classes SHOULD NOT BE EQUAL. One class should always be better than another. One class should always do something another can't. If all classes are "balanced" as you say there will be no need for any of my alts. I want to roll different characters because they are DIFFERENT!

Well, feedback is just that. It's feedback, and everyone is entitled to it. :) When we review feedback, it's coming from many different sources and players, and part of our job (the studio) is to determine what changes and adjustments to make based on many factors - including player feedback.

That said, our general philosophy in regards to classes is not to give everyone the same version of a spell with a different name. We want each class to feel unique and have their own special identity.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • NVNiko
    NVNiko
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would have been better had you removed the adjectives and personal opinions from your chart that is trying to give an objective presentation of what each class has and does not have. I spent more time saying to myself "this person is overrating templars" (jabs "huge" self heal? No. Liquid Lightning "high" damage? No. BoL "huge" self heal? What does that make healing ward, gargantuan? RD, "huge" damages below <35%? No. Shards "High initial damage"? No) than anything else.

Hold on--
    Liquid Lightning=Is the most powerful Dot in PVE!!
    BOL= Not a huge self heal??? (lol)

I really don't understand what you're trying to say You're either ill informed or you misinterpreted the OP
    Edited by NVNiko on January 14, 2016 6:55PM
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classes shouldn't be uniform...That defeats the purpose of Classes..

However....One class shouldn't be vastly better then another.

• NVNiko
    NVNiko
    ✭✭✭
    miss post
    Edited by NVNiko on January 14, 2016 6:53PM
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually my major issue with this is that you're asking for every class to have it's uniqueness removed and bring the gap in for each class so you're pretty much playing the same thing with different names and different effects.
    You are skipping a lot of advantages and disadvantages certain abilities in this OP have

A lot of the stuff mentioned in OP is being fixed and introduced; you're also missing the fact Magicka users get a lot more Spell Penetration than Stamina based characters do which more or less evens out the weapon damage / spell damage argument.

Templars are fine, however sweeps needs to be buffed the damage is not extreme and should take into consideration of it being a cone attack. We need to be able to Critical hit shields, not being able to negates a lot of classes back up to my example of Templars, not being able to critical hit makes sweeps and self sustain nil - but this has been mentioned a lot and I believe is coming. Templars need charge fixed, certain abilities reworked and also OP execute starts at <25% that's when you see the big ticks happen.

Nightblades are out of control but they are in a good spot, their whole class is built around stealth personally I believe there should be more to it and more harder to pull off a one shot combination (require more skills and more internal cooldowns) and their whole stealth mechanic needs work, otherwise it's good but they are too strong for their time, I think this will be adjusted in the new update, which is why we're not seeing nerfs.

I believe sorcerers are in a good spot with how they are, its quite interesting though I'd make bound armor a passive with reduced max magic it gives so they can have more bar slots. There also needs to be several class skill changes which I think ZOS already know and have something in store. STOP increasing the cost of Streak, it's an escape mechanism, not something to be punished for because a bunch of bads run away from their zerg and die to a skill player because they want to be heroes and can't Xv1 a skilled solo player. @Wrobel stop listening and catering to the bads, this is not a general concern, this is outright a silly thing to nerf Sorcerers for, there is also something called gap closers that the other classes have access to in more ways than one.

And lastly Dragonknight a prime example of not knowing how to balance a class and nerfing them into the ground, but at this time you can't buff what you already nerfed, so you need to go back to the drawing board and give it a class overhaul. Admit it, this is where you screwed up by listening to the community. - I have nothing else to say for Dragonknights I just outright dislike what has been done to this class without probable thinking about it for both PvE and PvP aspects.

You're right every class SHOULD be able to heal/dps/tank and personally they can right now, some classes do it better than others, but you are missing a very valuable point, every class should have something unique with them. Sorcerers are solo beasts and actually needs a lot of summoning pet tweaks right now they outright suck, where are flame atronachs, frost atronachs, conjured weapons, proper storm calling etc?
    Nightblades are all about stealth and at launch they had a broken skill line since then I feel like this class has been getting stronger and rightfully so, the unique style is to be a full on burst as it is advertised as being a stealth like ninja and all that stuff.
    Templars are the healers at heart like it or not, I love being able to heal when I can and switch to DPS or Tanking at ease.
    Dragonknights are the tanky debuffers and strong flame skills.

The issue is a lot of players want to be equal and feel like they have the right their chosen class should be able to do what other classes are designed for - which is clearly not what ZOS designed the game for. And I deep down hope they don't stray from that philosophy and make us equals. It would bring the battlefield to a very lack luster cookie cutter playground, more of a shell of it's former 1.5 self

Moral of the story I miss 1.5 and so do you, let's slowly work our way back to it with certain changes and a balanced Champion System (SHOULD HAVE HAD A CHAMPION CAP FROM THE START 1.6 WAS HORRIBLE TO PVP IN WITH BALANCE ISSUES), remove veteran ranks and fix the class breaking skills, fix the lag, introduce battle grounds, remove aoe caps and fix this stacking of snares, give more intensive to PvP for solo and group play, and then we can finally enjoy the game that so many of us are longing for and have been waiting since launch and are still around supporting ZOS HOPING that they will show the games potential we are all trying to give the same feedback to achieve.
    #MOREORBS
  • wharf
    wharf
    ✭✭✭
    if magic based classes have the same damage as stamina based classes it'd be much more imbalanced than it is now. Most of the time magic classes have much more ability to heal/stay alive and have multiple damage shields. Can you imagine a magic templar vs a stamina templar with the same damage where one gets healed through his main dps (puncturing sweeps) and can spam breath of life vs a stamplar who has rally/vigor...not that fair
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    There are 2 type of people who should be responding to this post.
    #1) The player who has played all toons.
    #2) The player who is considered by others (possibly himself) as an expert of a particular class. (& that person should only comment regarding their class).

and 3) roleplayers, who are role playing since years and do want all but classes, which are hardly distinguishable, because they are capable of about the same, just with another name and another animation. This is just not desirable and that is basically what is suggested here.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NVNiko wrote: »
    Not exactly the same skill but every class deserves some sort of decent self heal, cc, or inta-cast damage ability.

Why? What's wrong with each class having its own role? Why does everyone want to have everything these days...

• Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, feedback is just that. It's feedback, and everyone is entitled to it. :) When we review feedback, it's coming from many different sources and players, and part of our job (the studio) is to determine what changes and adjustments to make based on many factors - including player feedback.

That said, our general philosophy in regards to classes is not to give everyone the same version of a spell with a different name. We want each class to feel unique and have their own special identity.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno I stole ZOS's favorite word "philosophy" :D this is great news you plan to keep the unique side of the classes though. I'm glad to hear this :)
    #MOREORBS
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That makes me feel comfortable, thank you.
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NVNiko wrote: »
    OverFlow Damage-"Damage shields in ESO absorb unmitigated damage (don't factor in armor, spell resist, etc). If a player has 1k damage left on their shield, but is facing an incoming attack dealing 10k unmitigated damage, the shield will absorb that 1k while the remaining 9k hits the player directly without factoring in their armor, spell resist, etc. This is not something players can affect (e.g. by relogging) but is how damage shields work in the game. Best way around is to spam your damage shields so they are always refreshed. For the same reason, the damage shield glyphs on weapons are terrible choices because it will likely cause you to take more damage rather than less since the shield is so small virtually any incoming attack will go through mostly unmitigated."

This is also broken the other way as well. If someone has a weakness to fire, elemental susceptibility, etc. You won't suffer any weakness from your lack of protection. This is what a lot of vampire sorcerers depend on, keeping their damage shield up so the eXtra damage they should be taking isn't calculated into their damage if the shield drops for a moment.

This is also how I tank dungeons naked without being 1 shot between blocks.
    Edited by HeroOfNone on January 14, 2016 7:08PM
    Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit