Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Feedback to the Champion System

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
Hello everyone,

It’s normal in development to change how a system is going to be implemented from its original design. When we talk about designs early, we do so in order to get feedback and give you some insight to the direction we're taking. However, it's likely there may be changes along the way as we perform tests internally. Still, there is value in putting information out early.

Late last month, we announced changes to our original design for the Champion System, and provided a fairly thorough explanation as to why we decided to do this. Of specific concern was the conversion system of XP to Champion Points. What we had decided was if you had at least one Veteran Rank character, you would get a total of 30 Champion Points for your account. The Veteran Rank wouldn’t matter; all players with at least one Veteran character would get the same amount of Champion Points. We received a lot of feedback about these changes. Most of it centered around the concern that higher ranked Veteran characters were losing progress in the Champion System because they would have less opportunity to earn Champion Points, having already done a substantial amount of content.

Based off this feedback, we will be altering the conversion system with the following design:
  • Any Veteran Rank character that logs in after the system goes live will get 5 Champion Points added to the account for each full Veteran Rank that character has achieved.
    • Partial credit will be given for XP earned within a Veteran Rank. This is based on a fraction of the total XP contained within the level. One Veteran Rank is currently 1,000,000XP, so the conversion system will grant you one Champion Point for every 200,000XP within a Veteran Rank.
    • For example, if you are Veteran Rank 12 and have 800,000XP progress towards Veteran Rank 13, you will receive 59 Champion Points after the system goes live.
      • EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: Only the conversion system will use 200,000XP for one Champion Point the day the system goes live in Update 6. This is not what it will take to earn a Champion Point while playing normally once the Champion System is live.
    • It is possible that a Veteran Rank 1 character may not have earned 200,000XP into Veteran Rank 1. In this case, you will not receive a Champion Point after the system goes live.
  • Champion Points are shared across all characters as the system is account wide, but for the conversion of XP to Champion Points, no more than 70 Champion Points will be given to an account.
  • A VR14 character can receive up to 70 Champion Points depending on how much XP into VR14 they are, but 70 is the maximum the conversion system will give out for the account.
  • If you have multiple Veteran Rank characters, you will receive credit for each Veteran Rank upon logging into each character (provided the account has not reached 70 Champion Points given out in the conversion).
  • Only currently existing characters created before Update 6 goes live are eligible to claim points from the conversion pool. Once they are claimed, they will move into an account-wide Champion pool that all characters can use. You must have at least one Veteran Rank character in order to receive Champion Points from this conversion pool to your account.
  • The 70 Champion Points from the conversion pool will never get more points added to it - only subtracted. If there’s a situation where you don’t use up all 70 points once the system is live, they will never be used since this only applies to characters you have preceding Update 6.
    • For example, if you have just one fresh VR4 character in your account, you’ll receive 15 Champion Points from the conversion after you log in. You will never be able to use the remaining 55 Points since it only applies to pre-existing characters prior to Update 6.
We know this may be confusing at first glance so to make sure everyone understands, we’d like to provide a few additional examples:
  1. You have one full VR14 character and one VR6 character that hasn’t earned any XP when the system goes live. You log in with the VR14 first and are granted 70 Champion Points from the conversion. You log in later with your VR6, and are able to use 70 Champion Points due to them being account wide.
  2. You have just one VR5 character with 400,000XP toward the next Veteran Rank. When you log in, you are granted 22 Champion Points from the conversion. After you spend your points, you immediately create a new character. That character does not get any Champion Points from the conversion, but can use the 22 Champion Points from the account pool.
  3. Here’s a complicated one: You have one fresh VR14, one VR6 with 800,000XP toward the next Veteran Rank, one new VR3 character, and one level 25 character. You log in with the VR6 first and receive 29 Champion Points from the conversion. Then you log in with your VR3 and receive 10 Champion Points from the conversion; you now have 39 points in your account to use. You log in with your level 25 and don’t receive any new points from the conversion, but are able to use the 39 points from the account. Finally, you log in with your VR14 and are granted 31 additional Champion Points from the conversion, since you can only receive a total of 70 Champion Points from the conversion.
  4. You have one full VR14 character and one new VR4 character. You log in with your VR4 and receive 15 Champion Points. You begin to quest and play for a while, and receive 3 more Champion Points throughout your session. Later, you log in with your VR14. You receive 55 Points from the conversion, and are able to use 73 Champion Points – 70 from the total conversion, and 3 from the earlier play session. You play with this character for a while, and receive 2 more Champion Points from normal play. You now have 75 Champion Points in your account. Later, you start a new character; that character can use 75 Champion Points immediately.
Once again, we’d like to thank everyone for your feedback. We believe the system outlined above still meets our goals for the initial rollout of the Champion System while also addressing some of the more pressing concerns.

Edit: Adjusted the wording of one bullet point for clarity.
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Ahdora
    Ahdora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This. Is. AWESOME!
    Heals With Stick, V11 Argonian Nightblade Healer, NA-EP
  • Lobharvey
    Lobharvey
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, so great to hear that the concerns of the player base have been heard and a very reasonable compromise has been worked out, not to mention a very detailed explanation of the updated initial point system!
  • Kraven
    Kraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love you again. I know it may not make much of a difference, my love, but it's lifted a pretty large concern.

Thank you for listening, I feel a bit of faith has been restored for me personally.
    V14 - IMPERIAL NIGHTBLADE - DPS/TANK
    V13 - BRETON SORCERER - HEALS/DPS
    V2 - REDGUARD DRAGONKNIGHT - MELEE DPS
    V1 - BRETON TEMPLAR - TANK/DPS

to be continued... Nevermind, no longer "to be continued"
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yay, cookie points based on character progression!

fireworks.jpg
    Wololo.
  • phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, This is fair and makes many of us very happy.
  • Morvul
    Morvul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like a very good change, imho.
    It's not what was originaly planned / "promised", but it ensures that players with "maxed out" characters are not at a disadvantage relative to new players.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woohoo! I'm actually happy and this means I get less now lollol

Wait.. I misread. I get more! woo! Lol
    Edited by MissBizz on January 9, 2015 9:12PM
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morvul wrote: »
    This sounds like a very good change, imho.
    It's not what was originaly planned / "promised", but it ensures that players with "maxed out" characters are not at a disadvantage relative to new players.

It isn't? They always said there would be a cap, which is 70 pts, apparently.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • jopeymonster
    jopeymonster
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update @ZOS_GinaBruno‌
    #nerfkeyboards
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. This is MUCH better. Thank you for listening to your player base!!

Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Stumkrav
    Stumkrav
    ✭✭
    So no more 30 points for non vet 14. Welp, it's obvius a better deal for those who have spent more time on his chars, but now newbs will only obtain 5 CP if they are below 2VT. Still a good thing anyway.

Smart move.
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *frowns* I liked the previous version better.... Now VR 14 will have 70 cp and VR1 will have hardly any....making cyrodil double biased cp + VR gear. .. Please only do the conversion when VR is removed.

Edit: I started a thread on this topic if anyone is more interested thought I would attach the link here.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/145609/please-delay-cp-conversions-till-after-vr-is-removed#latest
    Edited by Faugaun on January 11, 2015 3:35PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, this is awesome...

However... I need a clarification.

I have a VR1 with 250k XP. The 250k XP gets me 1 CP. Does the VR1 give me 5 or is VR2 the first "full" Veteran Rank?

Some of the math in the examples I am not following.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Morshire
    Morshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Take that everyone who said "Shut up and take it".......thank you for sharing this.
    Follow me if I advance, Kill me if I retreat, Avenge me if I die.

When this immediate evil power has been defeated, we shall not yet have won the long battle with the elemental barbarities. Another evil, it may be an invisible adversary, will attempt, again, and yet again, to destroy our frail civilization. Is it true, I wonder, that the only way to escape a war is to be in it?

If I die, you are forgiven, If I live, I will kill you.
  • Asia_Skyly
    Asia_Skyly
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you ZOS! This is perfect!
  • Layenem
    Layenem
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS I was actually in the throws of trying to figure out if I could trust you. Surprisingly, you listened to the experience of your playerbase, especially those who have been here from the start and have put MONTHS worth of hours of gameplay in (inb4 people tell me to get a life)!!!

I... I... I think I love you... ?

I think this is as close to perfect as you can get, honestly. I know a large majority of us requested a similar implementation like this. For me, it's beautiful!
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a VR1 with 250k XP. The 250k XP gets me 1 CP. Does the VR1 give me 5 or is VR2 the first "full" Veteran Rank?

You'll get 1 CP... the "full rank" would actually require VR2.
  • DarthRupert
    DarthRupert
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much gor the change. It's exactly what I sas hoping for.

Just to clear things up about cp caps for anyone reading. The 70cp is now the max amount characters can recieve immediatly on update 6's release. Players can earn many more points until they actually reach the campion point cap which has not been officially stated. (though from what i've seen the cap will likely be at lowest 600)
  • Guppet
    Guppet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morshire wrote: »
    Take that everyone who said "Shut up and take it".......thank you for sharing this.

I kind of said shut up and take it, now im ever so gutted to be getting 70CP, poor me, that showed me lol.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager

If you have a VR1 with 250,000XP, you will receive 1 Champion Point, yes. If you are a VR1 with, let's say, 50XP, you will not receive a Champion Point with the conversion system. Think of it this way instead: every 200,000XP will give you one Champion Point.

Edit: Just to be clear, 200,000XP = 1CP is only for this conversion system, not when the system is live and in full swing.
    Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on January 9, 2015 9:30PM
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is very welcoming and a good change of mind Zenimax. Cheers!

Thx @Kraen for letting me know ;)
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES! THANK YOU!<3
    Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I was not one of those upset by the 30 CP thing, I must commend ZOS for taking player feedback on board, even late into the development process.
  • Rezzy64
    Rezzy64
    ✭✭✭
    It's wonderful to see this issue taken care of in this fashion, much appreciated ZOS, most of us know you guys listen despite how many people refuse to believe it.
  • Karv
    Karv
    Soul Shriven
    Good call. You DO listen. <3
  • Garbrac
    Garbrac
    ✭✭✭
    Yet again Zenimax listens to the community, validates that the concerns aren't just a bunch of complaints but are actual problematic issues.

Great Job Zenimax.

I'm_so_excited_(dog_face).jpeg
  • Garbrac
    Garbrac
    ✭✭✭

1CP, as VR1 = 50 (not an actually increase in level)
  • Heruthema
    Heruthema
    ✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZoS_GinaBruno Thanks for the clarification. Sadly, brings up the question of, did you also raise the max in-game Champion Points? I was thinking the 30 was not a large, but still measurable percentage of max, but this more than doubles it. (Cant find the post with stated max atm. 1200 CP? down from 3300?) And, sorry, but while you are at it, is the real max of CP open-ended, so that you can get more than the stated max when more content is added?
    Edited by Darlgon on January 9, 2015 9:42PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Engwar
    Engwar
    ✭✭
    This is EXACTLY what the vet players needed to hear! Thank you ZOS for listening to your community.
This discussion has been closed.