The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Area-of-Effect Abilities - Maximum Target Cap Clarification

• valkaneer2b14_ESO
    valkaneer2b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Really? an AoE cap all along???? .

Yes it has always been there. Just because you were too blind to notice it was only a few skills without it, doesn't mean it wasn't there.
    Stop lying^^^

Oh look a post by ZOS that says you are telling a half truth!
    One of the 1.1 patch notes described some AoE (area-of-effect) abilities having their maximum number of targets reduced. This led to some consternation among the community – our apologies for the confusion; we should have been more explicit in the patch notes. Here’s the information:

All AoE effect abilities in ESO have a max target limit of six, and always have. The exceptions to this are Alliance War-specific abilities, and several others, which are specifically noted (in tooltips) as having a higher or lower limit. So, if an AoE’s ability tooltip does not list it as having a special number (greater than or less than 6) of targets, it was designed to affect 6 targets, maximum.

Abilities that apply a buff to an ally (health regeneration) have a max target limit on cast, but can be applied to an infinite number of targets. For example, Regeneration has a max target limit of two, but it will always first try to hit allies that don't already have the buff. Two successive casts of Regeneration allow quick buffing of a four-person group. Please be aware that this is not the case for AoE debuffs, which apply to the nearest enemy targets or the center of the spell for ground-target AoE abilities.

Alliance War abilities generally hit a larger number of targets. We’ve designed them this way to better support their intended use in large-scale PvP. Each Alliance War ability’s max target cap, if they have one, is per ability (the morphs are the same as the base spells.) Siege Weapons have no max target – they will affect anyone who is in their target radius.
    • Assault
      • Caltrops: Max target limit of 12
      • Rapid Maneuvers: No max target limit
      • War Horn: Max target limit of 24
    • Support
      • Barrier: Max target limit of 20
      • Purge: No max target limit
      • Siege Shield: Max target limit of 20

Changes/Pending Changes
    With that explanation, here are the changes that are being made in version 1.1 (subject to testing).
    • The following abilities had a higher max limit than six, and have been fixed to be in-line with all other area-of-effect abilities:
      • Consuming Darkness (Nightblade)
      • Dragonknight Standard (Dragonknight)
      • Negate Magic (Sorcerer)
      • Scalding Rune (Fire Rune Morph - Mages Guild)
      • Soul Shatter (Soul Magic)

Also, we are currently investigating Dark Talons, Blood Altar, and Rite of Passage, which may not be obeying the max target limit.

Edited by valkaneer2b14_ESO on April 29, 2014 8:43PM
  • Xaei
    Xaei
    ✭✭✭
    Xaei wrote: »
    I don't really see the point of an AoE cap either. If your whole group got hit by a single AoE, I'm sorry, your group was just doing it wrong and letting people farm you like trashmobs.

And the same could be said about no AoE cap. If you are relying on no cap AoE spam to hit a bunch of people in EZ mode, you are doing it wrong.

Because not having an AoE cap:

1. Makes sense. If set a house on fire and 30 people rush in, they'll all get burnt, not 6 of them.

2. I'm just gonna direct you to that video put up above. Does that look like skillful play to you?
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaZaddha wrote: »
    but turtling and AoE cap isn't anywhere near the spirit of DAoC, atleast GW2 is free... Hurray...

You do realize no AOE caps are what promote zerg ball turtling? It is ridiculous EZ mode PvP with no thought at all. Just spam your AoEs.

Bunching together are what armies of the times did.

......Ummm no....you would never ball up in a turtle against no AoE caps.. unless you're stupid.

• valkaneer2b14_ESO
    valkaneer2b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »
    No, what is sad is you trolling this thread without any actual responses on how GW2 style zerg balls won't become an issue. People concerned about this were concerned about it before launch. You are right I didn't notice the caps. I'm level 17 and haven't gotten to pvp at all yet because I'm so busy. What a gotcha.
    Yes, because not agreeing with the small, vocal minority is trolling. What is this, Reddit?

Strangely you are also part of the vocal minority.

This is what makes me laugh at this stuff. These guys say the poll means nothing cuz only people that are passionate about AoE voted...... Um I guess that means that 89% of people passionate about the AoE are against caps.

And since Lava_Croft is here being "vocal" that makes he or she the minority of the minority.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please explain this logic.

Stacking AoE EZ mode spam.

What it comes down to is people crying about losing their easy mode abilities.

He asked you to explain the logic behind your silly post, and your response not only doesn't explain your logic, it contradicts your original silly ass post.

• Trayyacakes
    Trayyacakes
    ✭✭✭✭
    Clive no... no... just no. with no aoe cap what happens is people in order to not be blown up by 2 bomb builds will spread out. which opens up the battle for single target specs. which means healers have to be mobile and aware. When healers start getting focused tank/support players root, snare, stun, peel and pull those that are focusing them. All while avoiding/laying siege. No aoe caps mean you don't have to watch your flank and rear for ambush because you are protected by the blob. It turns into a wack a mole game with siege... Which game would you rather play? Balance the op skills. Secondary effects on aoe can be limited: roots, snares, stuns, debuffs, self heals, damage bubbles, ultimate gain, but not the damage.
    Bjorn Uldnost
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey anyone else remember when Bioware pulled the same crap with SWTOR

"Oh hai guys... we have this awesome PvP zone on Ilum, were you can do mass PvP!"

Game comes out...we find out Ilum PvP zone is just a small section of the map, and we also find out the game cannot support more then 16 people fighting in the area without it absolutely killing FPS.

• valkaneer2b14_ESO
    valkaneer2b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    but turtling and AoE cap isn't anywhere near the spirit of DAoC, atleast GW2 is free... Hurray...

You do realize no AOE caps are what promote zerg ball turtling? It is ridiculous EZ mode PvP with no thought at all. Just spam your AoEs.

......Ummm no....you would never ball up in a turtle against no AoE caps.. unless you're stupid.

Well, that's not totally correct. In games like Wow in which the AoE heals far surpass AoE damage spells, it would make sense to ball up. Most of these ppl I think are coming from Wow and games where healing is drastically OP. Even in Shadowbane you had to stack. With the kind of damage AoE's did they could one shot you, but the heals were so powerful along with bard spells that you stand in that kind of AoE and not die if you were stacked with the bards and healers. But in Shadowbane it took almost a full 10 man group to be able to run that kind of an engineered group.
    Edited by valkaneer2b14_ESO on April 29, 2014 8:58PM
  • dalgrimar
    dalgrimar
    ✭✭✭
    The fact they will put an AoE Cap on ultimates to wich will favour zergs even more.
    There wont be anny way at all for small groups to whipe zergs as the only way atm is true ultimates
  • Milky
    Milky
    ✭✭✭
    This thread has turned into a fight between experienced RvR players who want no cap because it destroys skilled pvp..... and inexperienced players who have no idea what they are talking about... saying a cap sounds great because they got pooped on for not paying attention and getting stomped by a skilled smaller force.

YES THERE ARE SKILLS THAT ARE HORRIBLY IMBALANCED AND NEED MAJOR MECHANIC TWEAKING AND FIXES. That is NOT the topic being discussed here, EVERYONE who is advocating no AoE cap understands this and wants to see them bug fixed and balanced out.

The mere fact that AoE capping has been approached in this way by ZO shows an extreme lack of experience on their part. Which I wouldn't mind so much, as their lack of knowledge might bring fresh ideas to the table, but changes like this one will destroy the game in no-time flat, and this must be realized.

As a hardcore pvp player with over 4600 hours played in tier 1 WvW in GW2.... I can with full honesty say that I will be cancelling my sub if AoE capping is something ZO plans to be permanent. This is a very serious topic. If you think AoE capping is no small thing, you have no idea what you are in for. I am TIRED of mindless zerging, it's fun when you're just bored and feel like derping around, but it destroys games. The only reason GW2 continues to survive in some way is because it's free. It completely lacks PvE content, the sPvP is terribad, and WvW is all zerging. But it's free, so people still play it.

What will happen when ESO AvA turns into the same thing, and we have to pay monthly for it? You think TES fans will sustain it? Fat chance. PvP is the most sustainable endgame for MMOs, treat the community poorly and you will lose your hard-core long-haul players who are willing to play games for YEARS.

I've grown up playing TES games, and I've spent thousands of hours in them. I've even enjoyed the PvE in this game, which is a rarety for me in a MMO, but I will be quitting if PvP turns to crap, which is what AoE capping will do. If you think otherwise, you need to open your eyes and try to understand what these experienced players are trying to explain to you.

If you think no AoE cap = Mindless AoE spamming you don't get it. PEOPLE WILL SPREAD OUT SO THEY CAN'T BE MINDLESSLY SPAMMED. That's the whole entire point of NO AOE CAP. People spread out because they don't want to be pwnt, battles become more dynamic, position dependent, tactical, even realistic (ooooh). For those immersion junkies, which would you rather see, 50 people stacked inside each other (AoE cap), or 50 people spread out across a battle-line?(no AoE cap)
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that's not totally correct. In games like Wow in which the AoE heals far surpass AoE damage spells, it would make sense to ball up. Most of these ppl I think are coming from Wow and games where healing is drastically OP. Even in Shadowbane you had to stack. With the kind of damage AoE's did they could one shot you, but the heals were so powerful along with bard spells that you stand in that kind of AoE and not die if you were stacked with the bards and healers. But in Shadowbane it took almost a full 10 man group to be able to run that kind of an engineered group.

WoW has an AoE cap

So did Shadowbane
  • Xaei
    Xaei
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite surprised that no dev has answered anything on this yet, despite this being obviously an issue taken very seriously by PvPers.
  • thelg
    thelg
    ✭✭✭
    @‌ Shadowbane had an AOE cap so you had to stack, Biggest stack I seen was something like 180 people i

Shadowbane had AOE cap so you had to stack. Other reason to stack was to cause lag and crashes in opposing force. Biggest force I seen stacked in one spot was about 180-200 people.

It boggles my mind that devs don't learn from this
    Edited by thelg on April 29, 2014 9:20PM
  • valkaneer2b14_ESO
    valkaneer2b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

WoW has an AoE cap

So did Shadowbane

Wow did not always have a cap, it does now well it kind of does, (anything beyond 10 targets and the damage starts to split). Healing was not as OP back then, It is OP now. (They say there going to fix it once again in WoD, but i'll believe it when I see it)

In shadowbane you had 10 man groups, you had to be in that 10 man group to get healed. The main point of stacking in SB was to make it hard as hell for the enemy to target your healers. Which is what is going to happen in ESO.

All these guys talking about single target LOL... OK ....

I want to see these AoE cap fanboys work with there raid to single target focus and burn healer after healer down *in a stacked zerg*. They can't cuz there is no /target function, so it becomes Zerg vs Zerg.
    Edited by valkaneer2b14_ESO on April 29, 2014 9:33PM
  • valkaneer2b14_ESO
    valkaneer2b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and BTW you have to have supplies to build siege equipment. I want to see you keep taking me out with siege when I cut off your supplies.

Then you will be forced to fight the Zerg.
  • Cuddler
    Cuddler
    ✭✭✭
    Milky wrote: »
    This thread has turned into a fight between experienced RvR players who want no cap because it destroys skilled pvp..... and inexperienced players who have no idea what they are talking about... saying a cap sounds great because they got pooped on for not paying attention and getting stomped by a skilled smaller force.

There is no skill involved in AOE bombing an enemy zerg. Skilled PVP players have not had issues with the existing cap, nor will they have after the small changes in 1.1. If you have issues with the cap, it only proves that experience does not equal skill.
  • Milky
    Milky
    ✭✭✭
    Cuddler wrote: »

There is no skill involved in AOE bombing an enemy zerg. Skilled PVP players have not had issues with the existing cap, nor will they have after the small changes in 1.1. If you have issues with the cap, it only proves that experience does not equal skill.

Read the rest of what you deleted from my post, especially the last paragraph. Here I'll do you a favor and get it for you so you don't get lost:
    If you think no AoE cap = Mindless AoE spamming you don't get it. PEOPLE WILL SPREAD OUT SO THEY CAN'T BE MINDLESSLY SPAMMED. That's the whole entire point of NO AOE CAP. People spread out because they don't want to be pwnt, battles become more dynamic, position dependent, tactical, even realistic (ooooh). For those immersion junkies, which would you rather see, 50 people stacked inside each other (AoE cap), or 50 people spread out across a battle-line?(no AoE cap)

EDIT: A skilled player is a skilled player, and will do well in all situations regardless. But it doesn't mean it will be enjoyable, and that the change is good for the game.
    Edited by Milky on April 29, 2014 9:44PM
  • Cuddler
    Cuddler
    ✭✭✭
    <Edited>
    Edited by Cuddler on December 6, 2016 8:05PM
  • Xaei
    Xaei
    ✭✭✭

So how do you skillfully deal with a zerg without AoEs then, except with a bigger zerg? We've been trying to figure this question out on GW2 for the last year.

In fact, I would say it's an even bigger problem than GW2, because in GW2, external healing is not as strong as in this game (and frankly, fulls-specced healers are actually very rare in WvW), so there's still the consideration of death when you walk into an AoE in GW2,

Edited by Xaei on April 29, 2014 9:52PM
  • prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I want to see these AoE cap fanboys work with there raid to single target focus and burn healer after healer down *in a stacked zerg*. They can't cuz there is no /target function, so it becomes Zerg vs Zerg.

I've had no problems identifying and targeting squishies in an enemy zerg. If you do, maybe you just need to L2P instead of looking for an easy 1-button solution?

While finding squishies to kill isn't really what he asked, maybe then you can answer the question everyone has been asking. I haven't pvp'd much in this game yet because of work priorities but humor me anyway.

One or two healers are hiding behind the zerg. You can't target them if your reticule can't hit them afaik right? There are no nameplates. How are you relaying who to kill to your teammates? How are they finding the person you are talking about quickly without nameplates? Once the zerg ball of gW2 forms how are you going to target them with even more people in front of them?
    Edited by prana33b14_ESO on April 29, 2014 9:51PM
  • RaZaddha
    RaZaddha
    ✭✭✭

Of course theres no skill involved in AoE bombing, without AoE cap people would learn not to clump up together and you wouldnt be able to AoE bomb, the simplest counter to AoE bomb is to SPREAD THE HELL OUT. WIth AoE cap everyone will clump up, turtle and spam AoE heals and damage until the healer runs out of magicka.

You seriously need to research to compare GW2 to DAoC combat.
    Edited by RaZaddha on April 29, 2014 10:02PM
  • Milky
    Milky
    ✭✭✭

So how do you skillfully deal with a zerg without AoEs then, except with a bigger zerg? We've been trying to figure this question out on GW2 for the last year.

Amazing how we haven't found one yet isn't it? With thousands of players.

The charming individual you quoted will never understand. You can explain all day, give examples, show proof. But in the end, all he wants to do is find someone to attempt to insult so his epeen can grow a few inches.
  • valkaneer2b14_ESO
    valkaneer2b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I've had no problems identifying and targeting squishies in an enemy zerg. If you do, maybe you just need to L2P instead of looking for an easy 1-button solution?

Nothing but BS spews out of your mouth does it? There is no way on earth that you can target one healer after the other in a zerg of 100 people.

Since you don't seem to understand group focus fire I'll explain it to you. That means you call out a target and your entire group targets them and you burst them down. It's how you kill the healers when there are AoE caps in a game, and the enemy is stacked, and you have no siege left.

Now as I said before, how are you going to do that when 100 people are stacked in a 5 or 10 meter area. Or you could just admit you have no idea, because you have never seen a real "zerg stack" before and didn't even know what focus fire means.
  • Xaei
    Xaei
    ✭✭✭

The charming individual you quoted will never understand. You can explain all day, give examples, show proof. But in the end, all he wants to do is find someone to attempt to insult so his epeen can grow a few inches.

And is a huge bloody problem. If another server hugely out numbers you in any given battleground, you're screwed. There's nothing you can do except die trying.

WvW/AvA becomes then just a numbers game. If you got a lot more than them, you win, if you got a lot less than them, you lose. There's no point to even playing half the time because the outcome is already set in stone.
  • Milky
    Milky
    ✭✭✭

And is a huge bloody problem. If another server hugely out numbers you in any given battleground, you're screwed. There's nothing you can do except die trying.

WvW/AvA becomes then just a numbers game. If you got a lot more than them, you win, if you got a lot less than them, you lose. There's no point to even playing half the time because the outcome is already set in stone.

Yup yup, and yup! Open field you have no chance, and even if you have a choke point or some other kind of advantageous position, you're STILL going to need close to their same number to have a chance of outplaying them.
  • Xaei
    Xaei
    ✭✭✭

Yup yup, and yup! Open field you have no chance, and even if you have a choke point or some other kind of advantageous position, you're STILL going to need close to their same number to have a chance of outplaying them.

And why Gandara is basically going to win the silver league in this WvW tourney. If you face us, you're screwed because there's no way you can beat us.
  • RivenEsq
    RivenEsq
    ✭✭✭✭
    QFT. Read this and really understand what AoE caps are. Stop mindlessly repeating what you heard others say because they are wrong. I played Guild Wars 2 for almost 2 years before this game. This post represents what an AoE cap does to the game and why it is a terrible thing to implement into ESO.

Before anyone does the "AoE caps were already in the game, you're just too stupid to notice." Sure, some abilities were capped, and some were not. With only 5 skills and an ultimate on your bar, those abilities that weren't capped held very prominent roles in AvA. Why? You ask. Well, it is because you need abilities that DO NOT have a cap on them if you wish to have a CHANCE to contend with a massive force, organized or not. The abilities without caps have been what is keeping fights spread out and stopped the stack and turtle from happening. With these abilities being capped, it is the wrong direction. There will be no counter to stacking. Period. If you don't understand that, there is no helping you.

YES THERE ARE SKILLS THAT ARE HORRIBLY IMBALANCED AND NEED MAJOR MECHANIC TWEAKING AND FIXES. That is NOT the topic being discussed here, EVERYONE who is advocating no AoE cap understands this and wants to see them bug fixed and balanced out.

The mere fact that AoE capping has been approached in this way by ZO shows an extreme lack of experience on their part. Which I wouldn't mind so much, as their lack of knowledge might bring fresh ideas to the table, but changes like this one will destroy the game in no-time flat, and this must be realized.

As a hardcore pvp player with over 4600 hours played in tier 1 WvW in GW2.... I can with full honesty say that I will be cancelling my sub if AoE capping is something ZO plans to be permanent. This is a very serious topic. If you think AoE capping is no small thing, you have no idea what you are in for. I am TIRED of mindless zerging, it's fun when you're just bored and feel like derping around, but it destroys games. The only reason GW2 continues to survive in some way is because it's free. It completely lacks PvE content, the sPvP is terribad, and WvW is all zerging. But it's free, so people still play it.

What will happen when ESO AvA turns into the same thing, and we have to pay monthly for it? You think TES fans will sustain it? Fat chance. PvP is the most sustainable endgame for MMOs, treat the community poorly and you will lose your hard-core long-haul players who are willing to play games for YEARS.

I've grown up playing TES games, and I've spent thousands of hours in them. I've even enjoyed the PvE in this game, which is a rarety for me in a MMO, but I will be quitting if PvP turns to crap, which is what AoE capping will do. If you think otherwise, you need to open your eyes and try to understand what these experienced players are trying to explain to you.

Cheers,
    Ryan "RivenEsq" Reynolds
    CEO & Founder of [KG] Knight Gaming
    @RivenEsq
  • Sirmati
    Sirmati
    Eya i love these sorcerer vampires... So broken...
  • Milky
    Milky
    ✭✭✭
    Sirmati wrote: »
    Eya i love these sorcerer vampires... So broken...
    That has everything to do with individual broken skill mechanics, not AoE capping.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Omg guys, why are you using Area of Effect Spells to take out multiple targets...
    That's just skill-less game play!!"

Its like the pro cap people don't understand the concept of AoE