Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you think there should be an AoE cap?

• RivenEsq
    RivenEsq
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Here we are still waiting for ZOS to explain why this is even being put in the game, much less respond to the pressure positively by finding a better, more appropriate way to balance skills (countless suggestions that would be better than a cap have been presented).

Just last night, there were 30-40 of us trying to defend keeps from EP's Emperorship Zerg of 150-200 people in Wabbajack. We were powerless to engage them, regardless of how good of a flank we made because our skills simply could not hit enough people... And no, siege did nothing to stop them either.
    Cheers,
    Ryan "RivenEsq" Reynolds
    CEO & Founder of [KG] Knight Gaming
    @RivenEsq
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    no
    they should not
    there are other ways to solve the AOE spamming problem
    A. put a cooldown on them
    B. substantially increase AOE cost
    C. reduce AOE damage
    D. make players using AOEs have reduced armor and spell resistance, forcing them to have their team with them, so one guy cant kill 10 people
  • DontBeAfraid
    DontBeAfraid
    ✭✭✭
    No
    NookyZooky wrote: »
    D. make players using AOEs have reduced armor and spell resistance, forcing them to have their team with them, so one guy cant kill 10 people

thats actually a pretty good idea imo
    Marlic - Dragonknight - VR12 - Aldmeri Dominion - PvP Rank 29 - Ex-Emperor on Dawnbreaker - EU

• bjplague
    bjplague
    ✭✭✭
    No
    There should NOT be an aoe cap for the sole reason that in war a handgrenade doesnt care if it kills a hundred or one.
    eso has given us skills, its up to us to learn to use and avoid them and form strategies around that.

chokepoint in a wall being spammed with aoe?.... open a new wall.
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I am Sotha Sil, holy Tribune of Morrowind and I voted "No" !
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! What an unbelievable waste of bandwidth.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Wow it sure would be great to see some sort of explanation from ZOS about this.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Yea..would be great if Matt Firor had some balls and addressed the community.

• Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/100211/patch-notes-v1-1-2#latest

so... it's over ? I am really disappointed right now.
    Edited by Sotha_Sil on May 22, 2014 2:26PM
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!
  • popatiberiuoneb18_ESO
    No
    Sotha_Sil wrote: »
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/100211/patch-notes-v1-1-2#latest

so... it's over ? I am really disappointed right now.

Suit yourself, this part made my day, seems the devs have been heavily working in improving ESO:

Added /torch and /kick emotes.

Edited the following current emotes:
    /eatbread is now /eat2
    /apple is now /eat3

This alone should bring back all the ppl who unsubbed.
  • Fatbelly
    Fatbelly
    Soul Shriven
    No
    Well, it seems the aoe cap (and other changes promoting "largest zerg wins" such as less ultimate gain from aoe?) made it into the patch despite overwhelming feedback to the contrary? This completely ruins pvp for me (and frankly, it ruins pvp for everyone except those who like the blob-zerg style pvp/largest zerg wins).
    Unsubscribed, one less nightblade gimp-emperor :)

On a positive note, I actually had some of the most fun in pvp since daoc the first month in ESO before blobzerging started.
    ESO is so close to being a great pvp game. The zone design and AP-points system is near perfect, among other things - and those things are a great foundation to build on, almost all pvp games get those wrong.

• Spoonanner
    Yes
    Yes. (insert reason why)
  • BumboklatMon
    No
    "Fixed an issue with several area-of-effect abilities where they could erroneously hit an unlimited number of targets."

We lost guys.. :'(
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    I really think ZOS needs to comment on this.

An overwhelming majority of your community does not want AoE caps.

At least explain why you think they're good?

Can we get a compromise? Keep them on PBAoE and target AoE but remove them for ground based AoE?
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Tintinabula
    Tintinabula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    i can just see groups of 30 ppl now all in a 5 meter circle standing in caltrops to insure siege is useless and aoe effects only 6 of them. :#

Theyve introduced RNG of all things into a fight..well lets hope your target isn't surrounded by 8 friends cause they may or may not be affected by your useless aoe .
    Edited by Tintinabula on May 22, 2014 9:47PM
  • JoseDelgadoCub17_ESO
    JoseDelgadoCub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    QQ it happened anyways

Welcome to guild wars 2 with a sub fee!
    Edited by JoseDelgadoCub17_ESO on May 22, 2014 9:53PM
  • chosco
    chosco
    Soul Shriven
    No
    Bb teso
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌

How can we have a 36 page thread with 4k votes and still no response?
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    NordJitsu wrote: »
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌

How can we have a 36 page thread with 4k votes and still no response?

Obviously they aren't planning on changing it so what DO YOU want them to say?

We understand you feel strongly about the AOE caps issue but thorough testing has shown that with the current settings we have the AOE caps isn't an issue.

So they reply and then you flame them for being stupid. They might as well save themselves the time.
  • galiumb16_ESO
    galiumb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »
    We understand you feel strongly about the AOE caps issue but thorough testing has shown that with the current settings we have the AOE caps isn't an issue.

What thorough testing? I was watching an EP blob of stupid running around in GW2 style stack two days after the patch. Seems like an issue to me.

• Canstaht
    Canstaht
    ✭✭✭
    No
    An area of effect, should impact every hostile target within it's radius, period. There is no logical conclusion otherwise, if there is an explosion, it won't selectively cap out how many targets it hits. It'll hit anything and everything within the blast radius unbiased, as it should be. If it's within the radius of the AoE, it should be hit and punished for being within the AoE radius. For PvP, if you can't see and react to someone spamming an AoE and move out/counter it, then rethink it on your run back from dying. As for PvE, there really is no excuse to limit AoE. If to 'punish' bots, you're just going to also punish players every time then that's ridiculous.

Side note, having AoE limits in my opinion has a disastrously unhealthy effect on PvP. As others have pointed out, it serves a means for organized groups to check and counter zergs. DAoC did AoE right, which should be obvious. When you want Cyrodiil to be a big PvP draw, and to have a PvP be a core part of the game, placing AoE caps is a poor judgement call.
    Edited by Canstaht on June 2, 2014 2:03PM
  • Nijjion
    Nijjion
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    If I can only attack 6 people... then 6 people should only be able to attack me.

That's only fair... problem is how the *** do you code that... only 6 people can attack you every 10 seconds? if anyone else tries you are immune to that damage until the 10 seconds is over and the targets reset?

I don't know Zenimax implemented the bad mechanic they need to balance it.
    Edited by Nijjion on June 2, 2014 3:35PM
    NijjijjioN - DK - AR27
    NijjioN - NB -
    Daggerfall Covenant
    The Nice Guys Guild
    EverQuest -> Dark Age of Camelot -> Ragnarok Online -> Cabal Online -> Guild Wars 1 -> Warhammer Online -> Vindictus -> SWTOR -> Tera -> Guild Wars 2 -> Elder Scrolls Online ->

Eagerly awaiting Camelot Unchained.
  • shanersimms_ESO
    shanersimms_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Overwhelmingly NO! Nerfed Barrier to hell... #muchanger Just Say NO to AOE caps!
    -Lord Shaszahan the Archmage, of The Septim Bloodline
  • AlreadyUnsubbed
    AlreadyUnsubbed
    Soul Shriven
    No
    As a former Marine with an eye for tactics...aoe hitting everyone not spreading the hell out is frankly LIFE working as intended, and one of my favorite aspects of large scale pvp.

The impact of the well placed, specialized, and small unit is one of the best things to counter the masses of poorly organized, point-collecting mouth breathers.

Do NOT implement this change.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No.
    I usually heal when in a groups and I need to cast 2-3 spell to heal everyone. AoE cap is a joke
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • CosmicChaos
    CosmicChaos
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Over 3k eh? That was more than I was expecting. I better start interviewing replacement games cause if this is the majority I won't probably be interested in playing in a few months. All removing the AoE cap will do is have everyone running around spamming their win button. If they do this Eclipse should apply to AoE as well as single target spells. Since everyone seems to want abilities to cover all their bases.
  • Gundorf_GA
    Gundorf_GA
    Soul Shriven
    No
    Over 3k eh? That was more than I was expecting. I better start interviewing replacement games cause if this is the majority I won't probably be interested in playing in a few months. All removing the AoE cap will do is have everyone running around spamming their win button. If they do this Eclipse should apply to AoE as well as single target spells. Since everyone seems to want abilities to cover all their bases.

It's actually the complete opposite of an I win button. With AOE caps it just means that numbers win.

• TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It's actually the complete opposite of an I win button. With AOE caps it just means that numbers win.

Apparently you don't PvP: Already plenty of AoE in this game just watch seige defense battles: A group of 10 can easily overpower 60 by charging in with AoE.

BTW this debate is over: AoE caps are here to stay. They were here at launch as well with most abilities already but some players too foolish to realize this.

If you don't like AoE caps.... WoW is <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Edited by TheGrandAlliance on June 17, 2014 2:58AM
    Indeed it is so...
  • Fi'yra
    Fi'yra
    ✭✭✭
    No
    There should never be an AOE cap.

There is already a limit on how much you can cast -
    the only problem I've seen with AOE is an Emperor who can cast major AOE trauma.

Invalid thread.
    AD - PC/EU
    Get Wrobled
  • nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Well, that decides it. Zenimax! You know what to do!
    Sanguine's Beta Tester

This discussion has been closed.