The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Rapid gear decay

• Sinoby
    Sinoby
    ✭✭✭
    Taid wrote: »
    is this a major troll topic? Im Vet1 at the moment, and i cant even remember a point where ive had to pay more than 2k gold EVER to reapair my stuff, i usually wear all grenn/blue from level 1 - 50 , quested and killed mobs the whole day being a melee tank/dps. WHen my inv is full i do my usual town-round and the repaircosts are below 1k Oo

The only situations where i have to pay between 1,5 - 1,8 k feeled, is when we wipe in a dungeonencounter or multiple and i have to rezz over 10 times or so.

So either you guys are in Full-Troll Mode or something is broken with your client information. I would bet for Trolls...

You may want to re-read posts in the topic before making stupid statements. It seems that not everyone is affected by the issue in the same way, some people are suffering a very fast gear decay, and it is very taxing in lower levels, when gold income is much lower, then reapir bills.
    To be fair, your reply seems morr like a troll attempt rather then other posts in this thread.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taid wrote: »
    is this a major troll topic? Im Vet1 at the moment, and i cant even remember a point where ive had to pay more than 2k gold EVER to reapair my stuff, i usually wear all grenn/blue from level 1 - 50 , quested and killed mobs the whole day being a melee tank/dps. WHen my inv is full i do my usual town-round and the repaircosts are below 1k Oo

The only situations where i have to pay between 1,5 - 1,8 k feeled, is when we wipe in a dungeonencounter or multiple and i have to rezz over 10 times or so.

So either you guys are in Full-Troll Mode or something is broken with your client information. I would bet for Trolls...

Sorry, if you had a point, I couldn't hear it over, "I'm so awesome nothing bad has ever happened to me, therefore you must all be lying."

If you think we're trolling, report the freaking posts where we're talking about how baddly botched the game is for us. Maybe you'll do some good, maybe you'll get banned for false reporting, either way, it's a win. But don't call people trolls just for having issues with the game.
  • Taid
    Taid
    ✭✭
    Some guys are really salty in the morning.

"Its awesome to be not one of you guys " :#
    You know the old saying.....Neither a Troll, nor a Fanboy be? :o

RUBBISH!

Without Trolls and Fanboys, how could we ever be able to sell anything? :#
  • iRageGGB
    iRageGGB
    ✭✭✭
    I was grinding Ogrims in cold harbour and I would NOT get hit at all and every ogrim I fought brought all of my armor down 2%, as soon as I engaged in ANY kind of combat I dropped 2% which was ridiculous. But I guess you just wear crappy armor when questing/grinding anything and then when PvPing just wear your good armor.
    The Ugly Orcling - EP Orc Stam Sorc
    Thorlarex Sah'Kriid - EP Sorcerer
    Râgê - EP Dragonknight
    Serriah Sah'Kriid - DC Nightblade
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still would love to hear from Zenimax on this, is this actually working as intended or is there a bug which is causing some to get these crazy decay rates.
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ @ZOS_MichelleA‌ hopefully one of you will read this and pass it on to the appropriate person to investigate. Because currently we believe this is a big issue. If this is intended then so be it, but we would like an answer.
  • Juponen
    Juponen
    ✭✭✭
    Still would love to hear from Zenimax on this, is this actually working as intended or is there a bug which is causing some to get these crazy decay rates..

They likely don't know themselves, as some claim it has not happened to them, and they are trying to get a picture what, when and how triggers the bug. Yes, bug. If it was a design...well, a working design... it would affect everyone evenly.

• Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, it is also true that if we knew what the design was it'd be easier to report deviations from it. In DAoC (on which much here is based), repairs got more expensive the longer you left it between repairs (but you could also eventually break things completely, and repairing more often hastened this a little, so it was a balance). Even so, that meant having to repair every few days in casual play, not every couple of hours.

It's pretty unclear what is supposed to cause wear here, or how often.
  • Guldendraak
    Guldendraak
    ✭✭
    -peeks in- I just found for me, it repairs all items in your bag. Anything broken on your body and in your bag is repaired. I started just using whatever armor I had available to try and save on repair. Silly me didn't sell some broken armor in bag and the cost was sky high. So anything you are carrying in your bag and as well as armor you are wearing...it is repairing all of it.

I thought it might be the contents of my bag too. But when I go to repair at a vendor, on the screen I can see a breakdown of all the gear that is going to be repaired and the price to repair each item. I've even checked the other gear in my inventory and none of it had taken any durability loss - nor did it appear in the items to be repaired list.

• Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iRageGGB wrote: »
    I was grinding Ogrims in cold harbour and I would NOT get hit at all and every ogrim I fought brought all of my armor down 2%, as soon as I engaged in ANY kind of combat I dropped 2% which was ridiculous. But I guess you just wear crappy armor when questing/grinding anything and then when PvPing just wear your good armor.

The exact same problem as me, I think I will put together a PVP set and then have a broken set for questing, no point repairing at present.

• shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kazarr wrote: »
    I ran some tests with my DK and not only is item decay excessive, it also occurs even if you take no damage. So purely by being in combat you have a chance (if not a flat out guarantee) of item decay.
    Glad to know I am not going crazy. Every day it's something else driving me away. I don't trust anybody or any guild in game so I'm making money from vendoring and quests and it's not going to be enough very soon.

• shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've given up repairing now, I'm no longer playing as intended, my gear spends its time at zero now.

it's the only way I can avoid decay!

This whole game is broken and slowly getting worse.
    Not slowly. More like lightning speed.

• Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Welp. Had a friend make me a shield so I could use a taunt for a werewolf event. Had it in my swap slot, never used it once. About an hour in, friend wanted me to fight scorpions naked with him (in underwear) with my new sword and shield. Took it out and shield was down to 85%. I was like "seriously? Brand new, never used, and it is already down to 85%??"

I am 100% positive that this degrade issue HAS to be a bug. Even as a gold sink, this is beyond ridiculous. Unless the world of Tamriel is filled with acidic gas that eats through your items by standing still. paying 1.5k an hour for not doing much of anything is just plain dumb and needs to be fixed.
  • kasain
    kasain
    ✭✭✭
    What is the point of armor? I mean at lvl 49 and almost beat the main storyline, done most quest in my facton, and mages, fighters guild among many others finished. But my armor has been 0% since maybe lvl 15-20 lvl. In addition no food, ever and one potion at most per fight. This is mostly due to timers and not knowing how to scroll through the Q bar options. In addition to having to focus on regular keys to use though.

But back to the point, Armor at least before VR ranks as I not got there yet is only for fashion. Save your gold. You will have a much easier time doing things you enjoy with your gold than spending it on repairs, even as armor goes bad by just walking.
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can only assume due to the lack of interest from the MODs that this is working as intended, which is why they are not acknowledging this and just hoping it goes away.
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    kasain wrote: »
    What is the point of armor? I mean at lvl 49 and almost beat the main storyline, done most quest in my facton, and mages, fighters guild among many others finished. But my armor has been 0% since maybe lvl 15-20 lvl. In addition no food, ever and one potion at most per fight. This is mostly due to timers and not knowing how to scroll through the Q bar options. In addition to having to focus on regular keys to use though.

But back to the point, Armor at least before VR ranks as I not got there yet is only for fashion. Save your gold. You will have a much easier time doing things you enjoy with your gold than spending it on repairs, even as armor goes bad by just walking.

True enough with sorcs, but some classes need the armor. I won't repair unless I am asked to run a dungeon with some friends. I do it only to boost my magika and health. I only create new armor once every 6 -10 levels, mainly so I can put on some enchantments, but even those fade when your armor reaches 0%.
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes wonder if people are playing the same game.

Armour degradation isn't bad. Repair costs are not bad either. It's true you don't need expensive armour at low levels - I wonder if that's the mistake people are making?
    - I'm level 46 now - still wearing greens, all from drops. I keep it repaired and weapons charged and I've still got more gold than I know what to do with.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • Guldendraak
    Guldendraak
    ✭✭
    Censorious wrote: »

Please read through the thread.. you'll see that people are giving examples of what is happening.. Perhaps if you think we're "not playing the game correctly", you can respond to some of the examples people have provided?

• kasain
    kasain
    ✭✭✭

Please read through the thread.. you'll see that people are giving examples of what is happening.. Perhaps if you think we're "not playing the game correctly", you can respond to some of the examples people have provided?

The thread is about walking around, in town, outside, not attacking anyone, and yet your armor is damaged. For those who didn't know. between that and /stuck 10x a day, that's why I don't care for armor. And I got along just fine without it
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Armour degradation isn't bad. Repair costs are not bad either. It's true you don't need expensive armour at low levels - I wonder if that's the mistake people are making?
    - I'm level 46 now - still wearing greens, all from drops. I keep it repaired and weapons charged and I've still got more gold than I know what to do with.
    I assure you that if the bug does hit you, you will not be so happy.

We can only hope that your lucky....
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Armor doesn't mean much to me, the armor level does, jsut so I can add the enchantments I want, but yeah, you can find green armor almost everywhere, but what you're wearing can degrade 10-15% an hour by standing or walking around, or 30-40% just by fighting for 30 minutes without dying. That's not right. By the time I find enough green armor of my armor class, I'd have to repeat the process over again because half of it is busted again. I honestly don't mind paying repair fees, but having it degrade at this rate is simply unbelievable. Unless they let us patch our own gear with basic crafting mats (the main ingredient for each tier) this is not a good way to go about armor decay.
  • kasain
    kasain
    ✭✭✭
    hre people will ever buy armor to use as well, only to deconstruct. so this will hinder the economy.

Armor decay should be 3-5% per lvl, and none by walking around, only death. They should also take off /stuck decay until the world is stable. As it is 70% the time I am in a town I get stuck.

Rey to make players feel welcome and enjoy the game. Then after they are attached, slam them with growing pains.
  • Sandhya
    Sandhya
    ✭✭✭
    PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

High repair bills are part of this game. The balance is different. This is NOT a game where fighting every pack of mobs you can see will net you a positive outcome. It is also NOT a game open to mass farming. Sure you can do it - but it has a price that is almost as high as what you gain from it. "I wonder why that would be the case..."

Because this is a game where you need to choose your fights.

I see a horrifying amount of misconceptions in this thread. So let me just sum these up to make things more clear:

- Gear decay is equal between all combat styles. Being in combat and defeating mobs will cause decay. If you AoE-farm zombies in Coldharbour, you will see gear decay within minutes. If you quest with an occasional fight, you will see gear decay much slower. Finishing quests will not cause decay.

- Gear decay is equal between armor types. Heavy armor degrades equally fast as light. I know this because I run a 5/2 Light/heavy armor Templar and all gear degrades just as fast.

- Decay has not been altered since launch. Gear decays as fast as it did on day 1. But 'the masses' discovered the zergtrain AoE grind to hit level 50 only shortly after launch, and started abusing it, and got faced with decay days or weeks after launch. This would explain more people seeing it more frequently as time progressed.

- Gear decay as it is now is intended, it is not bugged or broken, this is intended game mechanics we are talking about here. Sorry to burst your bubble. Like others have said before me, the problem is with your playstyle and not with the game. Stop trying to change it, because you are making yourself look like a total idiot!

Going out of town and into the world to quest or adventure has a price. There are easy workarounds to managing repair bills:

- When below level 50: do NOT repair gear at all. Weapons don't degrade. Armor is only a slight help. Also - as long as you have at least 1 point of durability, your traits and enchants will still work. No need to repair until you hit 0.
    - When below level 50: use quest rewards and drops to keep replacing degraded gear pieces. Ta-da! ZERO repair cost.

- When AoE grinding: run naked, or wear out your current set and equip a new one from the drops you found.

I have been playing without much focus on money and am currently sitting on 35k gold, with all inventory and bank slots bought apart from the 20k ones, and with a horse also bought from gold I just earned through quests, a little bit of farming on occasion, and mostly just by levelling up. Am I rich? Not really. But I am also far from poor. Oh - I forgot to mention 3x respec for between 9k and 17k per respec. So overall that's more than 100k gold spent without playing all too intensely, buying stuff when I wanted to and wasting 45k of it on respecs alone. All the while repairing my vital gear pieces, and even making some stupid, inefficient choices up until reaching level 50.

Is it really that difficult???
    Edited by Sandhya on April 28, 2014 2:10PM
  • shubert69
    shubert69
    Was there a comment from the developer on this? Is it a bug or design intent? or perhaps design intent gone wild...?
  • Juponen
    Juponen
    ✭✭✭
    Going out of town and into the world to quest or adventure has a price.
    ....run naked
    No, just plain silly and wrong.
  • Sandhya
    Sandhya
    ✭✭✭
    Juponen wrote: »
    Going out of town and into the world to quest or adventure has a price.
    ....run naked
    No, just plain silly and wrong.

What can I say? Oh, wait there it is.

L2P

Also stop trying to pull my coherent story out of context with these worthless quotes. It adds nothing to this discussion.
    Edited by Sandhya on April 28, 2014 2:18PM
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Sandhya wrote: »

High repair bills are part of this game. The balance is different. This is NOT a game where fighting every pack of mobs you can see will net you a positive outcome. It is also NOT a game open to mass farming. Sure you can do it - but it has a price that is almost as high as what you gain from it. "I wonder why that would be the case..."

I see a horrifying amount of misconceptions in this thread. So let me just sum these up to make things more clear:

- Gear decay is equal between all combat styles. Being in combat and defeating mobs will cause decay. If you AoE-farm zombies in Coldharbour, you will see gear decay within minutes. If you quest with an occasional fight, you will see gear decay much slower. Finishing quests will not cause decay.

- Gear decay is equal between armor types. Heavy armor degrades equally fast as light. I know this because I run a 5/2 Light/heavy armor Templar and all gear degrades just as fast.

- Decay has not been altered since launch. Gear decays as fast as it did on day 1. But 'the masses' discovered the zergtrain AoE grind to hit level 50 only shortly after launch, and started abusing it, and got faced with decay days or weeks after launch. This would explain more people seeing it more frequently as time progressed.

- Gear decay as it is now is intended, it is not bugged or broken, this is intended game mechanics we are talking about here. Sorry to burst your bubble. Like others have said before me, the problem is with your playstyle and not with the game. Stop trying to change it, because you are making yourself look like a total idiot!

Going out of town and into the world to quest or adventure has a price. There are easy workarounds to managing repair bills:

- When below level 50: do NOT repair gear at all. Weapons don't degrade. Armor is only a slight help. Also - as long as you have at least 1 point of durability, your traits and enchants will still work. No need to repair until you hit 0.
    - When below level 50: use quest rewards and drops to keep replacing degraded gear pieces. Ta-da! ZERO repair cost.

- When AoE grinding: run naked, or wear out your current set and equip a new one from the drops you found.

I have been playing without much focus on money and am currently sitting on 35k gold, with all inventory and bank slots bought apart from the 20k ones, and with a horse also bought from gold I just earned through quests, a little bit of farming on occasion, and mostly just by levelling up. Am I rich? Not really. But I am also far from poor. Oh - I forgot to mention 3x respec for between 9k and 17k per respec. So overall that's more than 100k gold spent without playing all too intensely, buying stuff when I wanted to and wasting 45k of it on respecs alone. All the while repairing my vital gear pieces, and even making some stupid, inefficient choices up until reaching level 50.

So, are you an employee of Zenimax, because you sure are trying to make yourself sound like one by putting words in their mouth.

If you actually read the thread you'd see that the issue is not so much the fighting, its that the armor degrades just by standing around or walking around. I can have 10-15% of my gear deteriorate just in about an hour of standing in town. Next time you jump on your 'matter of fact' igh horse, at least take the time to read first.

'Is it really that difficult???'
  • Cernow
    Cernow
    ✭✭✭✭

Just like the army of bots do eh? LOL

Bots roam the world naked / unrepaired, farming mobs ad-infinitum and strip mining as they go, amassing fortunes.

Meanwhile, normal, genuine players playing the game "as intended" get whacked for huge repair bills and driven into the arms of the gold sellers running the bots.

What a wonderfully well thought out game design wouldn't you say?

Things do seem to have changed with gear decay since launch, as many are reporting here. Whether this is "as intended", a bug or some kind of anti-farming measure remains to be seen. The only definitive answer is a green one, anything else is merely opinion.
  • Sandhya
    Sandhya
    ✭✭✭
    @Kyosji‌
    I am calling BS on that one. It was not the initial argument of this thread, rather an escape bogus argument people introduced when they got faced with the fact that they were actually getting beat by the game.

In my guild and between literally every single player I have met in the game, not a single player suffers from this 'bug' you speak of.

So, again, I am taking the risk of eternal internet-shame by saying that this is total and utter nonsense and people have seen fast gear decay because they grinded their way to 50 or kept dying.
    Edited by Sandhya on April 28, 2014 2:39PM
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely post if you weren't wrong, from reading this thread and my own experience.

Firstly it's obvious that this is working differently to for different people (obviously you), that is not normal.
    people are experiencing decay without even entering combat!

More importantly we have all noticed this very recently, like something has changed.

As with regards to money, I have done every quest in each zone, I do farm, I make my own gear. and have 120 bank and 110 bag. But I do not have the same amount of money as you! So it would seem there is also a gold distribution bug....
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kyosji‌
    I am calling BS on that one. It was not the initial argument of this thread, rather an escape bogus argument people introduced when they got faced with the fact that they were actually getting beat by the game.

In my guild and between literally every single player I have met in the game, not a single player suffers from this 'bug' you speak of.

So, again, I am taking the risk of eternal internet-shame by saying that this is total and utter nonsense and people have seen fast gear decay because they grinded their way to 50 or kept dying.

I never died in an hour and only stabbed Ogrim in the back, never got hit I'm a nightblade. yet my brand new gear was on 0, this is not normal behaviour.
    I have been playing from early access and have not suffered this type of decay up until the last week.
    I wouldn't claim to be an expert but when something changes dramatically I tend to think there is a reason behind it. You of course are welcome to your opinion which is based on nothing, compared to the overwhelming response on this thread who have experienced something different.