Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are there any old farts out there?...Or am I the only one.

• demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nefar wrote: »
    Just turned 41 this past weekend, been playing online RPG since the first one was released 'Never Winter Nights' back in 91. Been playing and testing since then, of course 'testing' now days is more of a preview of the game than a real job.

Industry has changed much since those days as has the players, unfortunately.

Ever play Wasteland? It is said to be the godfather of Post apocalyptic rpgs. First of its kind too to have the world change to your actions.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s89DhfppbP0

For those of you who did play, well, then you know about part 2...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9hQWqtxXPU
    All good Nords goto Sto'Vo'Kor.
  • dmorisettenub19_ESO
    Wow, nice to discover this thread. I'll be 62 next month and have been into computers since the beginning. This all brings back so many memories.
    First game- one I wrote and stored on punch tape connected to a Control Data mainframe in high school. A dart throwing game. It was either 1968 or 1969.
    Pong, oh sure, but Asteroids was where it was at, lol.
    First MMO for me was EQ, it took over my life for a couple years.
    I never really got into PVP (if you don't count Homeworld) until TERA, and only just last year for that. Have not tried it yet in ESO, but curious about it.
    I am on Aldmeri Dominion and would love to get into an old farts guild of some type. My character there is Magnify and will be getting back on as soon as this downtime is over.
  • denicolad16_ESO
    I'll be 40 this year and I would like to join your guild. @rdfdjd
  • Nefar
    Nefar
    ✭✭
    Woah cool! Look at this awesome thread!

I'm 37 years old, started playing text adventures on a Kaypro buisness computer. Played original atari, but never owned one, intellivision (anyone?), but really became addicted to the apple IIe. Ultima, snakebyte, wasteland, zork, bard's tale...

I was so excited to find the town of 'yew' right as the moon became full... now I play at 2560x1440 and have an Oculus Rift...

What is next??

I guess I would of started with 'pong' (may still be lurking in the attic)

2%20Atari%20Pong.jpg

Then atari 2600 and onto nintendo, I haven't owned a console gaming system past that. The first computer in my house was a apple IIGS, there was very little software back then compared to an IBM so the apple went to the wayside quite quickly. I haven't owned an apple product since.

Next, my father and a neighbor built their own IBM 286.

ibm5150.jpg

It cost a small fortune compared to the prices you can get these days for hardware. I've been building my own rigs since then and it's another thing that has become 'easy mode'. Anyone that can buckle a seat belt can build their own rig today.

Gaming, I played Ultima series (Bad Avatar) , Zork, wizardry, kings quest, bards tale, eye of the beholder and all the gold box series of course. When NwN on aol hit the market in 91 that is where the real addiction began.

Stand alone games became a think of the past for me that day. I can remember having to turn in a guild charter and a weekly roster to the game staff just to be considered to become a guild. You needed to actually prove you were a value to the community. Imagine that today...

If you were not Role playing in those days, you were the minority, whereas today people are ridiculed for it. The one thing I think I miss the most however are the naming enforcement GM's. You would probably need 2 or 3 shifts to handle the idiocy today. I would be happy to volunteer for a shift though ;)
  • ArielleJureaux
    ArielleJureaux
    ✭✭✭
    Our site is now live, thanks to the profound initiative of our illustrious.. the one and only... @Sue_D_Nim. It's yet still very much a WIP.

Yes, and we need more members so that we can have a store!!! Please consider joining us by contacting @Sue_D_Nim!
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    We should create the old man guild. Forget playing cards in the park
    Only for man , boys will have to wait
  • a_tony80b14_ESO
    46 here
  • Dbetz007
    Dbetz007
    Only about 10 years behind ya good sir.
  • Kaniption
    Kaniption
    Streega wrote: »
    I'm 29, but my BF is 41 and she is da bomb, deals with all big bosses in three swift moves :D I have some of my young ,"hot blooded" hormones left, so I tried to reason with the kids, but no more. Waste of time, moving on.
    BTW, if someone is forming a "Ye 'Ol Farts Guild" - count us in ;)

I'd also like to be part of the "Ye 'Ol Farts Guild". I am 31 but I'd rather not hang around the kiddie table ;)
  • Mikado048
    Mikado048
    Soul Shriven
    I'm a 66 year old great grandma, I was wondering if I was the oldest. Close call, this a fun thread.
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mikado048 wrote: »
    I'm a 66 year old great grandma, I was wondering if I was the oldest. Close call, this a fun thread.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I am the oldest; the age-gate for the ESO website has confirmed I was born Jan 1, 1900.

thou-shall-not-pass-edit.jpg

Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    53 here :)
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • AVCN
    AVCN
    ✭✭
    So, any cool matured farts guild from Ebonheart Pact at NA server?
  • junkeeii
    junkeeii
    Wow....17 pages of old farts. I guess I'll add myself. 38 and couting. Will stop gaming when Arthritis hits or I can no longer see.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aricle wrote: »
    Wow, that's great to find another MO:UL vet here. I played in both iterations of MO:UL, and was in the Botany Guild, as well as Doc Olenna's guild (sp). I bet we know some of the same people. Granelda? Thend?

Trying to get some of the MO:UL folks to try ESO but they don't like the killing aspect.

I had to look up the terms too and found myself taking some notes. It's interesting that when I've grouped with people, it has role icons for each member, and it may be default, but mine always says damage. Not something I'd ever imagine myself doing, in the URU days.

If you ever want to explore together, add me as a friend. It'd be great to have a mini URU community here. :smiley:

I will do that :) I don't think there are too many MOUL vets here in ESO yet, but I think eventually they will find their way here if they still interested in the MMO aspect. And yes, I did know Thend, and a lot of other people who were in the cavern during the early days. And being here in Spokane, I became quite familiar with Cyan and the great bunch of people that work there. Rand Miller is quite the character :)

Edited by Ashtaris on April 21, 2014 5:12PM
  • Scintilla
    Scintilla
    ✭✭
    @Nefar " ...... I can remember having to turn in a guild charter and a weekly roster to the game staff just to be considered to become a guild. You needed to actually prove you were a value to the community. Imagine that today...

The one thing I think I miss the most however are the naming enforcement GM's. You would probably need 2 or 3 shifts to handle the idiocy today. I would be happy to volunteer for a shift though ;)"

Yes. I guess things have dumbed-down somewhat to allow more players access (more players = more monies so probably can't blame these pesky game companies) but the names thing bugs me. Roleplay with the emphasis on roleplay seems to have vanished. Nothing like a good laugh but still.....

Saying that, I did see a starship in Star Trek Online called the USS Pickled Sandwich. Made me smile :)
    Jesus! Did I SAY that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?
  • Soul_of_Wrath
    Soul_of_Wrath
    ✭✭
    illogicbh wrote: »
    Maybe you guys should spend more time with your families? This game is meant for 18-25 year old that dont have families yet

Please provide the Zenimax source to support this claim.

BTW, if you are 18 to 25 you might want to be working on building your career instead of playing games.
  • Enigmatix
    Enigmatix
    Wow 17 Pages of older people playing this Game.
    My Brain is funny some times:

- Was reading some posts and scrolling through the pages.
    - Slowly imagined all the older people scolling through the post.
    - BAM it hit me "The Elder Scrolls Online"
    Ok now i know what it is really about :lol:

BTW I am only 21 though i will better get out of this thread fast :wink:
  • Dahlia_Bristow
    Scintilla wrote: »
    KerinKor wrote: »
    Scintilla wrote: »
    @Killum - I remember The Hobbit and I remember getting terribly frustrated with it. The "N, N, E, N, W, S, W, N, N" etc. etc. of the Goblin's cave. It was dark with no light and if you got ONE direction wrong, you died! :'( Lol - if I remember rightly.....
    Meh, kids and their new toys :D .. that was copied from one of the original 'adventure' games, Adventure and/or Dungeon, the former was where XYZZY and PLUGH came from while the latter was cut into two and became Zork I and Zork II.

Ahah Touche lol

Muuum what's a TRS-80?

http://www.plugh.com/

My TRS-80 (Early 1980's computer offered by Radio Shack) is long gone, but the box has been safeguarding Christmas Ornaments for several decades. I wonder if the box alone is worth anything. :)
  • buffbcub17_ESO
    I had to laugh at the guy telling us old farts to go spend time with our families and leave the game to the "18 to 25 year olds"

Maybe you young pups should be off making families instead of sitting in your basement power leveling to 50? :smile:

43 here and been gaming forever it seems.
  • Dahlia_Bristow
    illogicbh wrote: »
    Maybe you guys should spend more time with your families? This game is meant for 18-25 year old that dont have families yet

Hey. Get off my (virtual) lawn!
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Punks. Oh well, I'm 67 and I'm raising an army. Seven chars so far. My son who is 45 is running just one char, although he may create a couple more for the other areas.

I have 4 over level 10 with the Red Witch at 18. I have to run her up some as my son is getting away from me. He's at level 28 now.

I'm not sure I have time for a guild, juggling this mess takes time and effort.
  • Jarndyce
    Jarndyce
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 48.

I went to the arcade, Games People Play when I was a youngster. Played Missile Command, Defender, Tron, and Pacman.

Put gaming aside. Went to college, got married, and had three sons. When the boys got old enough, purchased a pc, played Frogger, Age of Empires, and Civilization 3.

Then bought them Gameboys and a Game Cube. Played a lot of Mario Cart and Super Smash Bros.

When they became teenagers, purchased a Xbox 360 and played the entire Halo Series. The boys took me to task, I found out shooters were not my thing. lol

It wasn't until I found the Mass Effect Series that gaming became my hobby of choice. I have played Swtor, Guild Wars 2, Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, many others, and now ESO! :)
  • Rourke
    Rourke
    We should create the old man guild. Forget playing cards in the park
    Only for man , boys will have to wait

LOL. Wife and I are 42. We were just saying that it would be great to have a guild for us oldies.

• Aricle
    Aricle
    ✭✭
    Jarndyce wrote: »
    It wasn't until I found the Mass Effect Series that gaming became my hobby of choice.
    This. My turning point from liking games to becoming a devoted player.

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. -Sarah Williams
    @Aricle in-game. Ebonheart Pact with a dash of Aldmeri and Daggerfall.
  • dale0404
    dale0404
    Look on the EU server for The Colovian Order", or better still search for "@dale0404" or "Grimdale", I am the leader of The Colovian Order, TS3 and website available. Love the older generation, so much better to talk to etc, I am 42 btw :)
  • sargethepoet
    sargethepoet
    ✭✭
    62 with Both active and reserve Time US Army. Alternate worlds to fight in keeps the mind fresh.
  • Rainwhisper
    Rainwhisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    62 with Both active and reserve Time US Army. Alternate worlds to fight in keeps the mind fresh.

Hooah and Airborne! I was a Sergeant and the Army, and have a Spanish Literature degree. That would make me another "Sarge the Poet!"

• xmistidawnb14_ESO
    Im an oldy goldy too LOL ... been a gamer for over 15 yrs now,,, dam time flies. Think I have played every MMO that has been out. woooo larwdy
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    Jarndyce wrote: »
    ... Red Dead Redemption...
    That's one of my favorites. It's more than an engrossing story and the first video game to make my cry. I can actually spend hours just riding my horse around the countryside, hunting, selling furs, drinking and gambling.
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath