Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Solo play too difficult

• Kellhus
    Kellhus
    ✭✭
    Mishoniko wrote: »
    Wait until more people get to the Hadran fight. That's a 2 on 1 vs an Assassination Nightblade with a pocket healer who's quick on the draw. He kicked my butt twice and I was about to retool when another player showed up and evened the odds -- at least its in an open world space.

I had zero problem with Hadran once I realized the healer dropped like a rock.

• reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    some of my char are bloody hard to kill and can solo, like plate wearing dks. some are just pathetic for solo...like my healer tho she is getting better now that im wearing plate. in short, i am putting plate on all my char with enchantments to cover the stat that they would have gotten if they had worn light or med. it helps the caster classes alot

however, even tho some of my chars die ALOT I absolutely do not want the difficulty toned down. it is forcing me to use strategies that i wouldnt elsewise, learning to block, interrupt, dodge etc which you must learn before it gets really hard in veteran. with each death i get better
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • Colonel_Brandon
    Colonel_Brandon
    ✭✭✭
    Right for all you L2Play guys out there read on for some insight in how one dungeon works (and one so far I can’t win) for me.

I’m in the last room with the Queen, it’s classed as a level 8 and I am level 10.
    The guy I have to kill is standing on a platform on his own the Queen is waiting nearby.
    I run around the platform and up the stairs to the second set that leads out of the room.

At this point (I think it’s called leashing comes into effect), I take one step forward towards the balcony and the guy drops his hands from a praying position to his sides.
    I take one step back and he resets to the praying position again, its fun getting him to repeat this over and over (simple things and simple minds).

So I trigger him and he goes and attacks the queen, after a few bashes he stops and raises his hand and conjures up a Ghost, she attacks the queen, gets bored and then runs around towards me, reaches the bottom step of the stairs, drops dead and the room resets. Some times he will conjure two ghosts who both do the same.

At this point I decide to join in the fight, he does all the attack the queen stuff, conjures up two ghosts, runs to attack me, conjures up two more ghosts, restores his heath to full and kills me with two swipes of his axe.

Now is this how all you leet playes had the room play or is my dungeon different for some reason because 5 on to one seems a bit over the top to me?

Oh and the queen does nothing just stands and watches, would be nice if she just joined in once in a while. :\
  • YstradClud
    YstradClud
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any friends playing ESO and am soloing it and it's fine. Don't want it too easy or it gets boring. Playing a Templar tank and can solo most the elites in the world at least.
  • Apricot
    Apricot
    ✭✭
    I believe that those who have stated "Learn 2 Play" are merely pointing out that it is you the minority that has to change your way of thinking if you wish to succeed in this game. You cannot use the same 10 spells and 2 Ultimate's for every single situation (well some can but, but obviously if you are having difficulty it is something that I suggest you may need to look at). You must learn to use tactics and prepare a plan of attack that will change with certain variables in the game itself (mob type, number of mobs, mob immunity to certain CC effects).

Oh those crazy level eights running headlong into Dosha using the same TWO ULTIMATES and the same TEN SPELLS . . . oh wait . . .
  • Grandpappy
    So far I have found the world bosses in the game easier than the 3 lvl 8 bosses. :D Absolutely amazing !! Oh well gear and lvl up, go back and spank !
  • Aellaren
    Aellaren
    At first I did feel like I was getting my teeth kicked in by mobs/bosses, however Ive found things much more enjoyable now. I'm only level 18 but I havent had too much difficulty with quests or the solo dungeons, most of my time is spent solo as well. My biggest problem in the beginning was being undergeared with less than stellar ability combos. You have to learn to adapt in the game and if you get smashed by a boss then do it differently the next time. As a few people stated, I also had trouble with Doshia since at first I didnt even see the orbs nor did I have any CC moves. After an extra level or two and some cc i had no problems. Ive also learned to shuffle behind pillars/rocks to avoid caster damage and kiting is a great tactic (needed this for the lvl 15 Prophet quest).Its challenging but not impossible. I hate saying 'Learn to Play' since it is in no way helpful but I do think a lot of issues are player based rather than the game itself.

Also, anyone needing help on quests or anything im usually available to help. Im not an amazing player or anything but im willing to lend a hand when needed.
  • Yshaar
    Yshaar
    ✭✭✭
    Your cries have won. I really thought we had a stronger voice and reason.

Well here goes the Doshia nerf. *le sigh*
  • Apricot
    Apricot
    ✭✭
    Yshaar wrote: »
    Your cries have won. I really thought we had a stronger voice and reason.

Well here goes the Doshia nerf. *le sigh*

Good, experienced MMO players understand this encounter was way overtuned for its level. A few pseudo elites will protest but only because they think it makes them look special, not because it's logical.

• Kroin
    Kroin
    ✭✭
    The key is to know when to block when to dodge (roll) and when to deal damage.
  • natalia76
    natalia76
    havent found anything to hard yet, been able to clear most stuff solo where I have had to, though main quests bosses could use a smal nerf here and there, considering you cant get help whit them at all, and if you happen to have wrong build or just be wrong class, you might end up in major problems, other world bosses and public dungeon bosses could actualy be harder, specialy public dungeon bosses could have a major buff in healt and probably dmg to.
  • Kellhus
    Kellhus
    ✭✭
    Apricot wrote: »
    Good, experienced MMO players understand this encounter was way overtuned for its level. A few pseudo elites will protest but only because they think it makes them look special, not because it's logical.

So you're going to pretend not being able to complete an encounter makes you experienced?

There were tons of people who passed the fight just fine, and last I checked we were, in fact, playing the same game. There is odd refusal by some players to accept the ONE way they want to play not being the only way to complete a fight -- so they will attempt to ram a circle peg into a square hole while complaining to the devs the hole should, in fact, be changed into a circle to accommodate their inability to solve a problem.

The more I read here, the more I see the problem isn't over tuned encounters, it's bugs and a wildly dumb-ed down player-base courtesy of WoW's years of rewarding players for successfully drooling on their keyboards... and so people feel safe in actually complaining when rewards are based on anything but the appallingly benign.
  • Estwing
    Estwing
    ✭✭✭
    If you are not doing VR content yet just wait. if you are complaining how hard it is now you are in for a surprise. =) I personally love the challenge and hope they never nerf the content.
  • IronMaiden_burnout
    IronMaiden_burnout
    ✭✭✭
    I have learned to play solo in MMO's since DAoC and while it is always a little slower than groups, I really don't mind since end game to me is no rush.

I have a level 11 dedicated crafter with 0 combat skills all my skills are in crafting and I do fine solo. I just craft myself a good bow. Sure i need to kite a lot when more than one, I don't kill them as fast as a player with skills but i do fine.
  • Rapscallion74
    Rapscallion74
    ✭✭✭
    As much as they tout "play the way you want" there are most definitely optimal builds. As long as you have at least one CC and one AOE spell, you should be alright.
  • Deluged
    Deluged
    ✭✭
    It is early days still. But it did have a very long time in the oven(beta tests). I've played MMORPG's since the beginning I have a passable knowledge and skill level with these games, so I wouldn't say I'm a rookie who doesn't know what he's doing.
    That being said, I agree with the OP. I have been frustrated, and discouraged over the long drawn out affair solo leveling has presented me so far.
    I mean I'm lauded as the hero of some town, and yet when I leave to quest some more I get killed by two spiders. The balance is off. One guy said, after 12 or so it gets really easy. If anything that's the wrong way around it. Your starting levels should ramp up slowly giving you time to grow stronger and stronger.
    But if the early levels are always a slog to try and get through you're going to discourage Alts. A game that isn't Alt. friendly, is a game that wont have longevity. I've started over a few times, and I can tell you this for free, it will be a cold day in July in Arizona before I start another alt. Its too much like work, frustrating and boring. I'm not a whiner type, Im if anything a pragmatist.

I also think the loot rewards and drops are off in the same way. I get rewarded with half decent items, usually after I've no need of them. It just doesn't feel like it flows. It feels disjointed and messy. I would suggest really cleaning up the first 12 or so levels to a place where fun is the main thing, and feeling like a Hero is developed.
    You've got it backwards as it stands right now.
    It shouldn't take much, a tweak here, a twook there.......At least give it a try.
    Edited by Deluged on April 15, 2014 2:37PM
    Truth? It's a person..
    Truth? It will set you free.
    Truth? only trumped by Love.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kroin wrote: »
    The key is to know when to block when to dodge (roll) and when to deal damage.

The game does a terrible job of teaching defensive tactics to players. The occasional pop-up message during some combat events is not a sufficient method of teaching these tactics. Content should be added to The Wailing Prison that requires players to learn and master blocking, dodging, interrupting and bashing before being able to escape to Tamriel. Some of these difficulty complaints are due to a poor teacher rather than poor students.

• BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭✭
    Well a few weeks have passed and time has gone by, I have to say that the early game is way more difficult than the middle and endgame in my opinion. Especially on a tank since you have no advantages over anyone but you do a lot less damage.

Later on you gain incredible passives and actives to both give you time or DPS away the enemies HP. I am unaware about how DPS classes or healers work but tanks at least have hard times in the beginning in my opinion but they get a lot better given time.
  • Maxium
    Maxium
    ✭✭✭
    If you're having difficulty soloing this game, then you seriously need to take a step back and actually think about your skill choices. 95% of the leveling content in this game is completely soloable by all 4 classes. Hell, even some of the world bosses are soloable.
  • paradoxorganisationb16_ESO
    If you have trouble with 2 or more mobs you either play the wrong way or don't have a good lvling build...or both. Both my chars my main and alt (i play when gf isn't there) can easily solo 10+ mobs with np and solo mobs 2 dot elites.
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    your best friend in all of the game is crowd control. If you know a mob is immune, tread carefully.

Self heals are nice too.
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for Doshia... she was frustratingly hard as melee (not impossible obviously) but really unnecessary as an introductory Fighter guild solo quest. I'm fine with things being hard, but no point making people (especially newcomers to the game) miserable.
  • steven.flemingub17_ESO
    Well a few weeks have passed and time has gone by, I have to say that the early game is way more difficult than the middle and endgame in my opinion. Especially on a tank since you have no advantages over anyone but you do a lot less damage.

Later on you gain incredible passives and actives to both give you time or DPS away the enemies HP. I am unaware about how DPS classes or healers work but tanks at least have hard times in the beginning in my opinion but they get a lot better given time.

Just curious are you playing Dragonknight or Templar? I really liked the idea of tank class and tried each out, but noticed I was getting my butt kicked at the start and stopped playing them early around 6-8. Almost always died when I had to deal with 2 or more mobs (even with blocking\knockdown) and that simply wasn't fun. As a tank I feel like I should be able to stand in the middle of a storm and laugh. Not have Wayshrines laugh at me.

I then switched to Sorceror and got it to 17. The pet's took some aggro off, but I still struggled with multiple mobs since the pets do not always grab aggro (plus it's delayed) and usually can only grab one mob. I liked the hard-hitting spells, but I just didn't feel it had enough hard cc and aoe cc. Died quite a few times learning a decent rotation.

I finally switched to Nightblade and have it at lvl 23. It's actually been the easiest to level by far and much more fun. I focused almost entirely on bow, which helped a lot. Since you can start off with the heavy attack, most mobs will be dead before they reach you. In 2 on one situations I can almost always down the first mob before the other reaches me, and can take out the second with minimal damage. 3+ mobs can be challenging, but NB has so many escape\cc abilities you can usually find a way to win.

I still wonder though about going back and trying to level a tank to see if it's worth it. :)
  • Kellhus
    Kellhus
    ✭✭
    I have a 45 dk tank, and I had trouble when I tried to go bow. I'm confused if I'm not the center of attention.
  • Grandpappy
    I'm a lvl 9 doing 12-14 quests. No problem running dungeons, taking out 3 and 4 spiders at a time. Even got involved with those chains from the sky dropping mobs and slaughtered them as well. And what's up with that ? The XP sucked and no drops ? Any way, ya those Lvl 8 bosses are way OP ! No matter I am working crafting and grinding and if I get back to them then I do, if not then that's all good too.
  • Colonel_Brandon
    Colonel_Brandon
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with you 100%, I’ve even done a ‘public’ dungeon which according to the message said this was a much harder quest then normal and I sailed through it, but I still can’t best the end boss’s in the Mages Guild, Fighters Guild or the Queens quest all L8’s.
  • Knovah
    Knovah
    ✭✭✭
    I am only in my mid 20's on my "battle mage" but I found switching up a piece or two of gear or just tweaking my spec, was a huge help. I started out with a squishy sorc and being in that "trinity" mind set of sorc is squishy dps in robes, I found myself eating dirt many many many times over.

I finally got over the whole "I got to dpses now in robes or I will fail" mentality and mixed heavy med and on occasion light. I kept my staff but ended up with a two hander to solo and I have to admit I eat up solo content. OHHHH and it is fun omg the giggles I have when I am bashing smashing and casting now.

So much diversity it was confusing. I am not sure if it helps for your situation op but tweaking and experimenting helped me get past that solo crunch.

hope you get into that groove and find something that works for you. The game has so many options.
    Edited by Knovah on April 16, 2014 12:50PM
    Video games ......The only legal place to kill stupid people.
  • Fudgeismade
    I felt this way at first also, but then I realized that I needed to explore the areas more as I move along. If you just follow the same few quests, you will quickly advance to more difficult missions. If you dig around looking for ruins and delves, you will kill monsters and find easy pub missions that will level u up.
  • xshadowclawzz12
    FOR ANYONE HAVING THIS PROBLEM:
    There is an incredible difference between builds. I tried a DK build during a beta and had the same problem. At lvl 10 I had problems doing lvl 8 quests and killing the "bosses" (those that you meet in quests that are for only you) was almost impossible no matter what I did (use countless of potions, using my ultimate abillity, trying different tacticts, etc). My gear was almost always completly broken and I didn't have enough money to repair it since I couldn't get quests done and I always died. The reason why was because my build just sucked. It wasn't because my abillities were badly chosen or anything like that, it's just because many abilities and classes are unbalanced. So if you are suffering from this, just re-roll and do another character. Go to a skill calculator and make a build. share it with others so they can judge and find out what a good build is.
  • ZoM_Head
    ZoM_Head
    ✭✭✭✭
    Problem with mobs, is that there are only two skills that lock them down. Dark Talons and Eclipse- A dragon night skill and a sorcerer skill.

No other way to lock down mobs at all....
    mDKs still need a lot of love!
This discussion has been closed.