Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Solo play too difficult

• Bloodlance
    Bloodlance
    ✭✭
    RatsnevE wrote: »
    If a NB hides then strikes and then hides again to get away what good is done if your opponent heals? Your now back where you start.

How do you get away from your foe if you use a bow with the foe quickly closing the distance--you're in melee with a bow soon enough?

On the other hand could a solo NB reach lvl 50 melee with a 2H sword?

2h sword with NB + bow , is actually good combo.

but also,

shield+sword + bow , is a good combo also, let me explain.

NB, has better stealth then other classes, thus, you can SLAM from stealth, and at higher levels it hits for a ton, and after just slamming = win. Add stamina regen from medium armor etc = more win.

Also with life leech +blocking you can leech a long time and not die = bosses = win

and as a bonus, when you block the hostile goes to vulnerable mode = helps.

Add other class talents like, mark and that castable insta stealth = win win

• atreyuu2003b14_ESO
    atreyuu2003b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    While I find that with knowledge and effort, I can kill any boss I have encountered, I still completely understand the difficulty-issue for casual players. Some of you gaming dweebs are treating people like you're above them, and you may be ... in your world of 24 hour gaming.

But some players aren't that well-equipped to tackle HARD difficulty when faced with a game like Elder Scrolls Online. So, please, ease up on your gaming cohorts, especially the newbies. Unfortunately, I believe they won't be around for long, since it takes a lot of skill and planning to level up in this game, and the frustration level is much higher than the payoff.
    Edited by atreyuu2003b14_ESO on April 27, 2014 7:23PM
  • Kalast
    Kalast
    I'm honestly surprised no MMO has ever put in difficulty settings. Just make an Easy Server where mobs deal 20% of their normal damage.
  • MagicofGaia
    This is a general comment about the difficulty level for people who are not in a group.

Basically I have found that when on my own, it is super difficult or impossible to kill some mobs if they are either:
    * 2 or more at the same time
    * Named quest mob

Sometimes I can -just- take on two mobs, but other times, dead, over and over and over again. It has somewhat lessened now I have the Ultimate ability, but even so, that isn't always available, and it doesn't always keep me alive. This has been happening even if I am a couple of levels (or more) over the mobs in question.

I just don't feel that the power level is right for the game right now. I am not an inexperienced mmo or general gamer by any means, and if I am struggling, (read: closing the game often in frustration at repeated deaths) then you can be sure that newer gamers are certainly going to be. It isn't because I haven't tried different build types either, as I have with different sorcerer, and templar, and still death is most frequent.

I like a challenge, but this isn't so much a challenge as an insurmountable cliff most of the time, and that just isn't fun. In an mmo especially, it is a dangerous path to go down because players will just up and leave without renewing their subscription.

This isn't just a small dismissable issue, it is a problem that I face each time I log in. It is the struggle to stay engaged in gameplay when each time I want engage more than one enemy, I end up having to wait around for another player just to be on the safe side, or avoid those mobs completely, which certainly isn't helping me level my character.

I know a lot of people have commented, but it 'is' a social game. You should try to search for a guild that fosters community and cares for it's membership. If you strictly want to enjoy solo play then yes, parts of the game will be very difficulty. But Innovation, difficulty, challenge: These are the draws of a solid MMO. If you take that away you end up with a mediocre experience with no sense of accomplishment when you finally do overcome that challenge. It may come down to your class and chosen abilities are hindering your own progression, and you may need to re-think your abilities, train support abilities to rotate in for situational fights, etc.
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a ES game.

Having the option to play solo without forcing folks into solo-only play should ALWAYS remain a path to the top.

Fixed for accuracy.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • M1ghtyQu1nn
    M1ghtyQu1nn
    ✭✭
    ummm you will be hugely disappointed with VR levels if you think the normal content is to hard. I'm no trying to be a jerk here but honestly I was readily able to solo 90% or the content leveling up through 50 and the end boss fight was almost a scripted cut scene. I had to change up my tactics and not have any preconceptions about class based play styles a few times but it really isnt that difficult.
  • Laranja
    Laranja
    While I find that with knowledge and effort, I can kill any boss I have encountered, I still completely understand the difficulty-issue for casual players. Some of you gaming dweebs are treating people like you're above them, and you may be ... in your world of 24 hour gaming.

But some players aren't that well-equipped to tackle HARD difficulty when faced with a game like Elder Scrolls Online. So, please, ease up on your gaming cohorts, especially the newbies. Unfortunately, I believe they won't be around for long, since it takes a lot of skill and planning to level up in this game, and the frustration level is much higher than the payoff.

Well said man, well said... :smiley:
  • vince131nub18_ESO
    what alot of people dont understand is that AoE is nessasary late game when soloing/questing. so re-evaluate your build
    There is no safty to be found in a sword. a sword brings death. it does not give life. it is a responsibility... a burden... this is no gift. it is a curse. i hope one day... you will forgive me.
  • vince131nub18_ESO
    lynix112 wrote: »
    Solo play is beyond easy.
    • Use tactics
    • Make sure you are geared up
    • Know your build / class
    • Know how to time your attacks

[snip]

i dont see how that makes him an "elitist tool" hes giving constructive criticism. maybe the first one could have been left out, but this person is right. watch for casting, know when to dodge, CC and AoE are the best way to deal with group pulls. PVE isnt ment for single targeting thats why just about every skill tree has an aoe and\or some form of CC.

as a lvl 44 templar i have no issues soloing anything besides some world bosses. even then i can get close. and when i die i try using a different ability that may give me an upper hand. evolve and adapt

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 7, 2024 2:36PM
    There is no safty to be found in a sword. a sword brings death. it does not give life. it is a responsibility... a burden... this is no gift. it is a curse. i hope one day... you will forgive me.
  • Kallion
    Kallion
    ✭✭
    PVE isnt ment for single targeting thats why just about every skill tree has an aoe and\or some form of CC

In that case all abilities should start behaving as AoE. An old example is Age of Conan and the newest (and most successful imo) is Guild Wars 2. Even the fireballs there have splash effect. Two handed swords slash everything within their range.

As another example, in WoW, most abilities are single target. In SWTOR, there are linked groups of mobs, but all of them (in most cases) constitute a "strong" enemy divided in 3-4 parts (weaker enemies). And that is handled easier.

Besides, ESO is not a game where you can tab/target your mob group and have precise actions (like cc or interrupts) while on the move. You have to maintain target view in order to do so.
  • vince131nub18_ESO
    Kallion wrote: »
    PVE isnt ment for single targeting thats why just about every skill tree has an aoe and\or some form of CC

In that case all abilities should start behaving as AoE. An old example is Age of Conan and the newest (and most successful imo) is Guild Wars 2. Even the fireballs there have splash effect. Two handed swords slash everything within their range.

As another example, in WoW, most abilities are single target. In SWTOR, there are linked groups of mobs, but all of them (in most cases) constitute a "strong" enemy divided in 3-4 parts (weaker enemies). And that is handled easier.

Besides, ESO is not a game where you can tab/target your mob group and have precise actions (like cc or interrupts) while on the move. You have to maintain target view in order to do so.

no because some people play PVP focus on single targeting. since we are on the subject of PVE i didnt think i needed to cover that. besides some abilities can be morphed into an aoe

Edited by vince131nub18_ESO on May 1, 2014 7:46AM
  • kasain
    kasain
    ✭✭✭
    Any tips for how to beat the lvl 40 mission? That guy shoots a light that stays on you and throws a ball. You seem to have to block the whole time.

Any advice would be helpful for a sor.
  • sheenajpowell
    After my major tantrum earlier in the thread, I decided to have another go. This time I tried the nightblade class, put all my skill points on combat skills, instead of dividing them between crafting and combat- and it is much more satisfying now, as long as I buy enough food items to keep my health high, I can beat up to 3 enemies at a time, and get through most of the quests at my level. However, I still keep getting slaughtered regularly in Cyrodil, mainly because there are so few players to team up with and so many hazards even if you stick to scouting missions. I guess unlike other elder scrolls games, this is not really suited to people with slow reflexes and a preference for trading, crafting and puzzles over combat. Still a good game though, and I've enjoyed this incarnation of it a lot more than my Templar one. The Ebonheart pact quests have been much better than the Aldmeri dominion ones, too, in my opinion.
  • Thevenin
    Thevenin
    ✭✭
    Oh gawd, you might have to socialize to make it easier !
    The horror..
  • sheenajpowell
    I have tried, believe me, but there are hardly any pact players in Volendrung, and I can't transfer to another campaign because I haven't earned enough points yet... I know, first world problems....
  • Thevenin
    Thevenin
    ✭✭
    Plus the game is actually super easy. Even with the weakest class with the weakest build (let's say 2H nightblade werewolf), you shouldn't have problems if you play decently until some named NPCs in VR content. Where you can group up.

If you don't have a clue how to use your abilities / get out of red stuff / block / heavy attack / bash, you might want to read guides online or ask people for help. You know, like, in a MMO.
    This game is already far too solo-friendly, one doesn't need to be a genius to figure out you need to roll out of red and block when the enemy is raising his huge sword with a big "HUUUUURRRR" sound.
  • RatsnevE
    RatsnevE
    ✭✭✭
    Thank the Cosmos the game is super easy! :smiley:
    Edited by RatsnevE on May 2, 2014 5:10PM
  • Tarwin
    Tarwin
    ✭✭✭
    Probably a class thing. I have no problems soloing 2-3 mobs 3 levels higher than myself and can also take care of mini Boss' 3 levels higher

However, the Storyline bosses are another thing, I need to get 5 levels higher to have a chance in succeeding. Irony is, you CAN'T group for those guys
  • RatsnevE
    RatsnevE
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting... Does the 'Doshia' (sp?) and 'Rites of the Queen' fall under this main story line? I noticed that both of these are solo dungeons but the quests aren't listed under the 'main story line' category that some other quests are listed under later? Hopefully I'll have better success with my PC this time around so I can come back to both of these quests when I'm at least 5 levels above them.
    Edited by RatsnevE on May 2, 2014 5:02PM
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    RatsnevE wrote: »
    Interesting... Does the 'Doshia' (sp?) and 'Rites of the Queen' fall under this main story line? I noticed that both of these are solo dungeons but the quests aren't listed under the 'main story line' category that some other quests are listed under later? Hopefully I'll have better success with my PC this time around so I can come back to both of these quests when I'm at least 5 levels above them.
    Doshia is the boss of a Fighters' Guild quest, and the Queen storyline is not enjoyed by our Ebonheart and Covenant compatriots so it cannot be the main questline (since it must be shared by all alliances). The main questlines usually involve the Prophet, Coldharbor, and the Harborage and the player character is called 'Vestige'.

Behold the great Oak. Just a little nut who stood his ground.
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    However, I still keep getting slaughtered regularly in Cyrodil, mainly because there are so few players to team up with and so many hazards even if you stick to scouting missions.
    Most likely you would do better with others in Cyrodiil but more likely and significant is that although you are artificially levelled to 50 you don't enjoy all the perks that you would have were you a natural 50.

At least, I assume you didn't naturally level to L50 yet. The advantage for you to level to 50 in Cyrodiil is that although you will die like a fly under a fast and heavy mallet as you gain experience you will also be gaining alliance points and the rest of what that means, plus all the experience that will prove invaluable when you finally stand up fully equal to your opponents informed by superior experience and practice.

Behold the great Oak. Just a little nut who stood his ground.
  • AlMcFly
    AlMcFly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pre-Veteran, I would disagree with this entire post. Now that I'm at V5, I agree with everything said. Starting V4, trash mobs just got UNBELIEVABLY cheap and soloing is a pain in the ass. Blocking a single attack can still a lot of times critical your life down 75%. Fighting three trash enemies at the same time is a complete gamble. Three named enemies???? Forget about even trying.
  • Draaconis
    Draaconis
    ✭✭
    It sounds like you guys missed the level 4 island you were supposed to go to when you were first left Oblivion.
  • Zarec
    Zarec
    ✭✭✭
    Huh...I have a NB assassin melee build at 39, a Sorc Lightning based at 44, and a Templar healer at 38 and I leveled them all solo outside of the zone dungeons (which I only do once for the quest completion and skill point) and have had no problems. Its required me to adapt my gameplay to anticipate certain things or plan ahead but have yet have a huge problem (outside of the titan on my templar, that little jerk >.<). There are certain mobs I hate seeing as they give me trouble (harvesters) but I have to plan my move before engaging and setup my skills appropriately. I like that I have to plan to engage things, it's what any adventurer would do in RL, you don't just take rock climbing gear because its what you always use to a water excavation. You plan and adjust for eventualities. I'm sorry some people are not able to think outside the box.

Also...I'm confused on how people are so underleveled sometimes. I leave a zone a level higher than the next one starts. If you're underleveled, that means you have missed quite a few quests or not done all three dungeons for that level range (hint: once you have done your main factions dungeon for that zone, you can do the other two factions dungeon for that level range).

Also going into delves and killing the main boss of the delves nets you quite a bit of experience. That may be many of you problems with being underleveled. As the initial first kill usually nets you not only their xp for death but for completing the delve you get the same ammount for a quest completion for that zone.
    Edited by Zarec on May 2, 2014 10:40PM
  • wOOOOt_of_SD
    wOOOOt_of_SD
    ✭✭✭
    The game is not hard solo. It is challenging.
    So I have to repeat an old true sentance.
    Learn to play! :dizzy_face:
    Hint: experiment with different skills and weapons, and learn to beat obstacles, instead of crying for a nerf. Its your skills that are nerfed, go train them!

Im a casual player, and doing fine at V7 now.
  • RatsnevE
    RatsnevE
    ✭✭✭
    Level 4 island like Khenarthi's Roost? I just landed there since I noticed as I worked my way around parts of Vulkhel Guard that the quest levels were all 5 and much higher.
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My witch sails through content 4 to 6 levels above her. On stuff at her level she lets the children do the work. No Fear and Cutie Pie will happily, especially Cutie Pie, smoke everything in sight.

I used to worry about it but I just figure I was successful in my attempt to build a very powerful sorcerer. She's 15 3 3 at the moment and I like these proportions and with 5 light and 2 heavy she is just durable enough.
  • Mothanos
    Mothanos
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is that alot of skills you used to level up to 50 arent cutting it at V1+
    Not to mention the solo dungeons / public dungeons some of wich are 5 mob pulls.
    I like hardcore stuff, but some skills or passives do not what they are suposed to do and there is little information about what works and what not.

Some skills are underperforming in all cases while others can be grossly OP.
    Same goes for some classes.

Also EU players have to deal with strange ability lag wich makes the difficulty even harder.
    Sometimes weapon swap takes 2 seconds to complete...
    Even tried pulling 5 deadra with 2 mages and a 2handed swordsmen a dualwielder with delay ?
    1st cast goes off second cast might have delay weapon swap and your health is at 50% or below with still 5 deadra alive...

This can be insane for even the most hardcore players...
    They should disable the respec cost or make it a massive chunk cheaper so people can respec to more viable builds that "might"work.

After respeccing 4 times i made a build that works...
    Even with skills at 25 give or take i am now going trough Vet contend much easier, but the lag and delays are still killing me in many places :(

EU players are having a much harder time in those area's then our brohims in the states.
    As we all now Veteran contend can be quite hard especialy miniboss fights or those harder dungeons were timing of 0.5 seconds can be victory or death !

Edited by Mothanos on May 3, 2014 7:27AM
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    My girlfriend has this problem with some of the quest mobs in particular. She's a newer player to MMOs and the single player stuff is what gets her (so the "It's an MMO" argument doesn't apply).
  • Lourens89
    Lourens89
    I don't really find it hard, there are however mobs I find too hard to kill on my first try.
This discussion has been closed.