Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Solo play too difficult

• Jermu73
    Jermu73
    ✭✭✭
    I am at level 39 now and i honestly think that some quest bosses are just ridiculous. Why you are sometimes forced to comeback later and level more because some bosses just have too much healing power. Don't take me wrong i just love playing Eso but these some bosses need to re-evaluate. I'm also 40+ years old gamer so i think i know something about games.
  • Keebler
    Keebler
    Interrupts work wonders on solo quest bosses who like to heal.
  • limeli8
    limeli8
    ✭✭✭
    Game is easy... i played NB to VR and Sorc to vr and gotten DK into the 40s. I solo everything !!!! dolmens, world bosses, public dungeon group bosses - all except like 2-3 ones that dont work right (yes even tried 4 man dungeons my level.. lol can usualy kill a few bosses atleast although not all)). Only issue i had was when i leveled DK with destro staff early levels were painful but as soon as i hit 15 and could also equip resto i was soloing t2 public dungeon all the way to lvl 20 (this was before exp nerf). Currently i'm at v10 and even though i grouped to do bosses and dolmens in vr content i was also doing them solo just fine and only time i actually needed a group was for VR 4 man dungeons t1 and t2 stuff. Early levels can be hard but higher u get more tools become avalable to you and game gets easy. Have trouble with groups of enemies? get aoe skills. Need to killl a boss? learn to kite or to cc very few bosses are immune to CC and even then on an NB can always pop cripple and kite anyways with pew pew and syphon
    I have to give a credit to AD pack of Vampires with VR10 Night Mistress leading them (seriously VR10 10 days after the official release?).

Night Mistress - v12 Former Empress Sorcerer AD
    Night Mistress II - v12 Night Blade AD
  • shinkicker444rwb17_ESO
    Lvl 43 atm, solo'd pretty much the whole way. Only difficulties I've had so far were in the Vile Manse (grp public dungeon) and with one or two Quest bosses, like Mauloch's Shrine (or whatever it was), and that early fighters guild quest - and sometimes that stupid uppercut 2 hand users (mostly because of Australian ping times). 1-3 packs I can repeatedly stealth/stun/strike/flurry repeat my way ad nauseum, 4-6 packs Stealth/Whirlwind, seems to be the way (plodded my way through Vile Manse like that). The larger packs can be a bit dicey, and if I get knocked on my ass things can go *** up fast. But if I can keep control it's easy.
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apricot wrote: »

Well if you could beat this at level eight without being stam starved, hats off to you. I could not. It's not that I didn't know what to expect or what to do, I just didn't have the resources for it.

Admittedly I was a bit higher than that, I tried it first at level 9 and no matter what I did I couldn't get all the orbs in time before one or more reached and healed her, resulting in a stalemate of sorts. Then I gained another level, unlocked Silver Bolts, and thought of the Dark Talons trick. Luckily Dark Talons uses magicka so I could conserve my stamina for attacks. Really though, once you can reliably stop the orbs from healing her (and use them to keep yourself in shape) she goes down fairly quickly. It also helps if you open with a strong attack on her initial Dremora form, I noticed she goes back to it if you leave the dungeon for a longer time.
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • TieFighter
    TieFighter
    ✭✭✭
    If youre having a hard time killing certain mobs in a certain area then you will need to leave the area and fight somewhere else, also learn to use your many different skills. I have gone through and played as all classes and had no problems with soloing the content but then again i know when to advance to the "next" area and i dont rush too often, as i do alot of farming of materials for crafting
    Da'Hui DC imperial mage dragonknight(retired but retained)
    Hand Saryn Valor EP dunmer templar(mage/healer)
    Pergan Asuul AD dunmer dragonknight(dps firemage)
    Mi'Mosa EP imperial nightblade(stamina)
    Limu'Kai EP Sahxleel dragonknight(vampire mage)
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm an MMO veteran and I have to say it's pretty easy for me.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any class using a bow pretty much solo facerolls PVE. The class i am currently levelling is Sorceror/Daedric summoning/bow and it almost feels like you're cheating.
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • Grandpappy
    I'm an Orc tank, and I think that is my problem, lack of distance skills. I've a 3 sec knock down and no crowd control. I intended to go with a bow at level 15, maybe I need to reconsider, or go back to playing the Templar.
    Edited by Grandpappy on April 13, 2014 2:55PM
  • Lysistrata
    I just think that the levelling and difficulty is a bit off - I've done all the main quests so far (for the Dominion and the Five (well, 2 at the moment) Companions, and as many side quests as I've found), made it to Grahtwood, and I'm still only level 11 and wearing wearing nothing more than a full set of homespun light armour (mostly level 8, but with a few higher level and enchanted pieces I looted or received) - which is obviously a problem when the level of quests and enemies jumps up to 17.

That said, there are some enemies at a much higher level than me that I have no problem taking out 3 at a time, and some which literally kill me before I know what's hit me.

I don't want nerfs, exactly, I just want quests in a chain not to jump up a level, or even 2, after every quest. Because let's be honest, how many people are going to level up every few quests and side quests?
  • Colonel_Brandon
    Colonel_Brandon
    ✭✭✭
    This game is getting me more confused by the day, I’m playing a Dark Elf and by accident made her an Assassin.

Now I’ve posted earlier that so far I have been unable to complete any major dungeon solo quests and this fact remains today. The final boss’s in the Mages Guild quest (Gutsripper), the final guy in the dungeon with the queen (he hits me with 4 ghosts and kills me with two swipes), and the final dungeon in the Fighters Guild quest all prove beyond my skills.

But this is the confusing bit, I’m wandering around Auridon and as I’ve completed most of the quests down South I wander up the map to try my luck. I get offered two L11 quests (I’m L9) and I breeze through them both, then I get hooked up with the Veiled Inheritance quest and go to the island. Now I tried this quest in Beta and got trounced in the final part where I had to defeat my cohorts’ in battle to ‘prove’ myself.

So I thought what the heck I need to get back to the main land so 5 * L11 on to one L9 should be over in a flash, nope, I trounced the lot and won the level. So how come I can’t defeat a L8 Boss solo but can take on 5 L11’s solo and beat them all. Is the balance slightly wrong or what?

Now I'm level 10 I will go back and try the Boss's again and see if I have better luck this time ;)
  • sheenajpowell
    I'm another one who finds the difficulty levels bewildering. I did eventually overcome Gutsripper, but I still can't beat Doshia at level 12, and am completely fed up with being able to sail through some level 15 quests while being unable to complete others marked as level 8 or 10. I have played as a Templar and a dragonknight, but neither copes well with more than 2 enemies at a time. I also think the pitiful rewards for quests- usually less than a hundred gold, plus some crappy piece of armour if you are lucky- are very disappointing. Worst of all though, is the tedium of hunting for hours for a few bits of maple, or iron ore- it makes it much harder than it needs to be to level up crafting skills. I think there should be the option to change difficulty -easy, normal, nightmare, that kind of thing- to accommodate the range of experience and skills ESO players have. Some of us just can't bash our keyboards quickly enough unfortunately- I am used to playing with a ps3 controller on skyrim, and a mac mouse and keyboard is awful by comparison- sluggish, unresponsive and guaranteed to make your wrist hurt.
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can manage most of this stuff. With my disabilities, handling the harvesters solo is impossible even when I'm way overleveled. I am trying different things with my new characters, but I seriously doubt it's going to make that much difference.

If I didn't have arthritis in my wrists as well as fibromyalgia, I probably could manage to do better than get Doshia and the other harvesters to almost dead.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_KaiSchober‌ @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ is there any way you could get the devs to re-evaluate this and make it possible to at least group with one other person for these forced solo instances?
    Edited by Ysne58 on April 14, 2014 12:01AM
  • ggmyster
    ggmyster
    Soul Shriven
    I got to level 21 and have stopped playing ESO because the difficulty is too hard solo.
  • Grandpappy
    I'm using Xpadder and an Xbox controller. It actually works pretty well. But I am doing the same thing, running around completing lvl 10-11 quests at lvl 9 and just avoiding the same 3 solo bosses. It seems this game favors ranged fighters.
  • kosmosis
    kosmosis
    If the bare minimum allotted "risk" is removed from this game, I'm as good as gone. I don't have time for anything that has zero risk. I'm here to play a game, not just run on a virtual treadmill for no reason whatsoever.

The solo play is not that difficult. I would say it is appropriately challenging and requires you to question your build, of which you have many builds to choose from. You're not even restricted to an armor type.

In my opinion, the game is all about: 1. Managing your resources 2. Denying your enemy's attacks. - two very simple principles. Don't bottom out in your blue or green, and don't allow your enemy to use their heavy attacks. If you can't deny their attack, be prepared to reflect it, absorb it or eat it.
    Edited by kosmosis on April 14, 2014 2:36AM
    Kazmo - Imperial Templar of the Aldmeri Dominion
  • Apricot
    Apricot
    ✭✭
    kosmosis wrote: »
    If the bare minimum allotted "risk" is removed from this game, I'm as good as gone. I don't have time for anything that has zero risk. I'm here to play a game, not just run on a virtual treadmill for no reason whatsoever.

The solo play is not that difficult. I would say it is appropriately challenging and requires you to question your build, of which you have many builds to choose from. You're not even restricted to an armor type.

So you think all the solo quests are tuned just right? Given a level eight's resources and tool kit you think the mechanics in, say, Dosha are appropriate for that level? Really??

No one is asking for risk to be taken out of the game. What players want is consistency.

• kosmosis
    kosmosis
    Apricot wrote: »
    So you think all the solo quests are tuned just right? Given a level eight's resources and tool kit you think the mechanics in, say, Dosha are appropriate for that level? Really??

No one is asking for risk to be taken out of the game. What players want is consistency.
    The original post was stating the 'entire game' was too difficult, that simply fighting "two enemies" was overly challenging. Be it overland mobs, or a boss. This simply isn't the case. If you want to talk specifics and say "this particular quest needs to be tuned", then I don't care. As long as it doesn't impact the overall game, which I see as being "just challenging enough".

Kazmo - Imperial Templar of the Aldmeri Dominion
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This game is already too easy now. Too many people in Beta would rather complain than learn to play.

Now there is zero challenge until you get to Vet Rank content.

If you really think the game is hard at this point, you're basically screwed after level 50. You're gonna need to improve your play and your build a lot.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't find it too hard at all, although some solo dungeons when absolutely solo can be tricky sometimes..
    I think i get the most trouble when playing a dragonknight char as they rather strangely seem the most squishy imo (no CC)
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • Libertine
    Libertine
    ✭✭✭
    well, this game IS more difficult than pretty much every other MMO out there in its current state.
    not a bad thing imo.

i die, a lot, i really do. sorcerer with a pure glasscannon build is just no good at situations. but i can just switch to my resto staff tree and things work out most of the time.

i remember in WoW where you could simply pull packs of mobs and walk away unscathed...thats not gonna happen in ESO. a 3 mob pull of the same level is really hard for me...so are elites.

with that being said, as mentioned above, i still like it. it provides a challenge even during the leveling process where other MMOs just rush you through to get you to the level cap.
  • Gelmir
    Gelmir
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you dare touching game difficulty settings ZOS! :) Increase it a bit even...
    Check-out ~~ GuildPlanner.Pro ~~ Your Ultimate Guild & Character Management Tool
    ★ Lodge of Sorceresses [PC/EU] - LF Serious PvEers: Midgame to Endgame Growth! ★ We NEED You! | Join Discord Server | Youtube Channel
  • OutcastVP
    OutcastVP
    ✭✭✭
    I think the game is to easy. However, when I first started playing in Daggerfall i headed north to do as hard quest and monsters as I could. But then when I went back to do quests I had "missed" in the beginning they where just broken because the enemies could not even touch my health. I wish you could increase the difficulty (yes it is possible in an mmo also)
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we have to groups. Ones that cant find any difficulty what so ever. Versus others stating Doshia and other forced solo content is mind boggling different from the rest of the game.

Is there ANY way the people that don't find the game difficult can understand there is a group of people on the difficulty curve that telling them to learn 2 play DOESNT apply and that MAYBE even though you couldn't see it that certain content just simply isn't tuned properly??

Having to overlevel a boss that your forced to solo obviously isn't balanced. Just cause you didn't have to do it or see it just means this really doesn't apply to you....you were never going to find the game challenging and for the rest...well from this point the game can ONLY be worse if the content continues like this.
  • strelnikov
    I do believe it is possible to ask for help though. I am at my level 30 main quest. I am a bosmer nightblade and for some reason. can get close but Not quite close enough to finishing that quest.
    I will ask for help today and maybe someone will come with me to coldharbor to finish it.
    That they allow this is amazing and I love it. IF not I will just wait a few levels.

So far I am very impressed with the game. If someone asks for help, I will do what I can unless I am too low.
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    strelnikov wrote: »
    I do believe it is possible to ask for help though. I am at my level 30 main quest. I am a bosmer nightblade and for some reason. can get close but Not quite close enough to finishing that quest.
    I will ask for help today and maybe someone will come with me to coldharbor to finish it.
    That they allow this is amazing and I love it. IF not I will just wait a few levels.

So far I am very impressed with the game. If someone asks for help, I will do what I can unless I am too low.

That is a forced solo instance -- you can't bring anyone with you to help, except Lyris or Tharn and both are absolutely worthless.
  • alxmdsn
    alxmdsn
    The people complaining about Doshia need to kill the orbs.. I mean come on, one pretty much heals you up halfway. Even if you aren't ranged, switch to a ranged weapon for this fight.. That way you can hit the orbs before they get to her.. problem solved.
  • Kellhus
    Kellhus
    ✭✭
    In my experience, I see a couple of problems biting people fairly routinely:

- The refusal to use all the tools the game gives you.

Sometimes you need a gap closer, sometimes you need a defensive CD, sometimes you need to spend magicka, sometimes you need to blow stamina -- you have to shore up what you don't have with the things you have access to in order to create a toolkit of options. As in real life focusing on one thing because that's what you want to do is a choice, but you are going to run into a problem that is very difficult to solve as soon as the problem is outside the of a single theme you're playing with.

- The game still has some rather buggy behavior in areas that it should not.

My first fight with Doshia the orbs weren't showing, my fight against Lyris Doppleganger was interesting to say the least, sometimes I hit an attack and watch my resource bar go down and nothing happens (no animation, nothing), and my favorite as a DK is using my ultimate that causes me to leap into the air and come smashing down -- although sometimes my wings just kind of wrap around me and I go into a crouch that I can't get out of.. or attack, or do ANYTHING for 10 or so seconds... My point is that you need to make sure the fight isn't bugged before declaring it too hard to do (regardless of 100's of people having done it before you).

- FFS, block and dodge are there for a reason.

I have yet to run a group dungeon where at least 1 dps wasn't running in, blowing all his stamina on attacks, and then a sitting duck for the first attack he could now not avoid with basic movement. Your basic left mouse attack, and heavy right mouse attack are great filler damage, and can help you set a good tempo.
  • Mishoniko
    Mishoniko
    ✭✭✭
    Wait until more people get to the Hadran fight. That's a 2 on 1 vs an Assassination Nightblade with a pocket healer who's quick on the draw. He kicked my butt twice and I was about to retool when another player showed up and evened the odds -- at least its in an open world space.
  • AlchemyDevil
    AlchemyDevil
    ✭✭✭
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »
    So we have to groups. Ones that cant find any difficulty what so ever. Versus others stating Doshia and other forced solo content is mind boggling different from the rest of the game.

Is there ANY way the people that don't find the game difficult can understand there is a group of people on the difficulty curve that telling them to learn 2 play DOESNT apply and that MAYBE even though you couldn't see it that certain content just simply isn't tuned properly??

Having to overlevel a boss that your forced to solo obviously isn't balanced. Just cause you didn't have to do it or see it just means this really doesn't apply to you....you were never going to find the game challenging and for the rest...well from this point the game can ONLY be worse if the content continues like this.

I believe that those who have stated "Learn 2 Play" are merely pointing out that it is you the minority that has to change your way of thinking if you wish to succeed in this game. You cannot use the same 10 spells and 2 Ultimate's for every single situation (well some can but, but obviously if you are having difficulty it is something that I suggest you may need to look at). You must learn to use tactics and prepare a plan of attack that will change with certain variables in the game itself (mob type, number of mobs, mob immunity to certain CC effects).

Yes, it must be frustrating to be part of a small group of people that really don't understand game mechanics and want everything handed to you so you don't have to work for it. But the game makes you think, button mashing will not work here. If 90% of people can play this game without difficulty issues and you are part of the 10% of players that think it's hard then clearly the game IS "tuned properly" and you just need to make an effort to either A. learn to use tactics and switch out skills/abilities to suit each unique situation, or B. Quit. the game is clearly for a different group of people and should not have to be dumbed down for the minority that cannot grasp it's mechanics or just don't have the skills to play it.

This discussion has been closed.