Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Solo play too difficult

• stefaan.de.wasch1b16_ESO
    Not encountering any problems.... If you die, try a different tactic... But don't, for He Who Shan't Be Named's sake go all Rambo and charge everything head on... this is not WoW nor is it a FPS
    The statement "if you put enough monkeys behind enough typewriters... sooner or later one will produce the works of Shakespeare" has sadly been proven utterly wrong by the internet...
  • Mordwyr
    Mordwyr
    I've also had very little problems with normal mobs while leveling. I can take out groups of three quite easily, even if they're 2 lvls above me. I'm playing as melee NB and I'm almost at lvl 32. And, I'm not even a very good player, not even close. I've seen some very talented players along the way, like sorcerers who just run around and destroy absolutely everything without zero downtime. They surely know their builds and tactics way better than me. I have still a lot to learn.

Few things I keep in mind when encountering bigger mob groups; If there's a healer, it dies first... then I go to casters/ranged and I leave melee last. Block is a friend, CC too. I try to avoid red zones as much as I can and use potions if needed, which is really rare thing to happen.

Also, at first 12-15 levels it was a bit harder to survive, but after that it's gotten way easier. Or maybe I've learned something.
    - Death leads to silence -
  • Vraneon
    Vraneon
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't read all the comments, but I am bit surprised by this post, because I simply haven't encountered any difficulties with mobs ^^. Actually I find PvE a bit too easy, but I also have a very weird build, (sorcerer, heavy armor, with bow, etc.). I even manage to solo kill 2 enemies who are 10 lvls above me. I never had problems anytime during my leveling. Yesterday I even went with a friend into territory that by means of level is too high of us (quests marked as red), but we still managed to kill every mob and boss. That doesn't mean I/we don't die from time to time (this happens mostly because we pull too many enemies ^^).

So I absolutely cannot agree with the statement that players would get discouraged by the hard gameplay, but if you need any sort of help, advice or tips, just pm me ingame or in the forums. I wont write another 10 tips down, because most posts already gave some really good advice here, but hey its a mmo and im sure if you ask a few times in zone chat, you will find someone who will help you with your tactics, build or a special mob group you cannot handle well.

• Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think I tend to agree with the OP. This game is harder than most MMOs. Some of that is down to the difficulty of pulling just one mob from a stack. They all seem to aggro at once whatever you do.
    (Sewers is a good example. I haven't got past the start there and quite frankly I'm not going to waste my time and gold on it)

The instanced solo bosses are also way harder than anything you'll meet elsewhere with hidden mechanics you have to figure out before you can beat them (just barely). For experienced PvE players these are 'part of the fun'.
    For beginners or people who want to get through to the PvP they are just frustrating.

I've taken to just roaming around killing easy mobs. It's far more efficient in terms of levelling than all the run hither-and-thither-then-fail (or bug out) quests
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • Vishimtar
    Vishimtar
    As a long-time veteran MMO player, I feel I must agree with the OP that the early game is extremely punishing. It took me 15-20 attempt as a level 9 templar to defeat Rhavil Urano (level 10) for a quest. He literally came in the door and 3-4 shot me, blocks with a 2h do basically nothing and dodging is extremely clunky and uses up all the stamina.

I don't craft in any game, never have, never will, if that leaves me in white gear or something in this game I'll simply move on, crafting should be an optional path, not a requirement. That said, all my gear is quest/dropped greens (heavy armor, 2h sword) and a blue ring. So far I've found the game to be far more frustrating than fun, and find myself wanting to be doing something else due to the stress of normal play and being forced to kill every single mob in your path. I loved Skyrim, but ESO...eh. My hero doesn't feel even remotely powerful, and I feel no real sense of progression thus far, level 9 is no different than level 1 as far as I can tell. Hm. I'll keep trying for a bit.
  • Brennan
    Brennan
    ✭✭✭
    I both love and dread the fact that unlike so many other MMO's. this one is not dumbed down. You have to pay attention. You have to react quickly. I love that.

It is frustrating at times but your failures are not a failure of the game design.
  • Suncrusher
    Perhaps the game developers should have an area for those who want to learn how to play their class (with lots of tutorials - like "dodge roll now") but no exp given.

Personally I think leveling is too easy - almost a joke even, and I sure would hate to see the game turn into "doggy piggy bunny" like WoW did.
  • Ezrith
    Ezrith
    ✭✭✭
    I am having a hard time understanding why the OP think solo content is too hard when I keep complaining to my friends that it is too easy! I am not a pro player at all just casual .

I think OP needs to better understand their build and the game mechanics, because once you avoid danger (no need to dodge just strafe most of the time) and put in your build something to help against 2-4 mobs at the same time, you will not die. Of course it's easier after weapon swap because you can have a single target bar and a aoe/group bar.

So use those skills that return health, snare, stun, knockback, boost your armor or aoe dmg etc. Use stealth attack as opener to quickly dispatch a possible add, so many ways to kill small 2-4 groups easily even before level 15.

Also make sure your armor is not 5 levels under hehee, eat food for stats buff, get a potion of what you need the most ready in your quick item slot (Q), for me it's stamina not health. Use Mundus stones too. I am with quested gear only so often 2-3 levels under me and I do fine as a casual player.

Very happy that this game is not a facerolling game but it's far from being hard! And the bosses in dungeons or outside, get CC/snare skills or wait for someone to pass by to tackle them as a group, though they are very soloable.
  • Mordria
    Mordria
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »
    Build your character for solo. Yea im pretty sure nobody having trouble soloing thought of this.
    Just because some people find the game too easy doesn't mean others WONT find it too difficult. The idea here is to make it so everybody can play but at the same time not so easy you can do it blind folded. Im all for challenge but dieing all the time on something required to finished solo is gonna get a lot of people angry. Look at all the doshia complaints online.

Its great some people find this game too easy. Your a minority and if the game was set to be challenging for a minority only a minority will play it. That usually causes a game to become free 2 play.

Taking down Doshia is challenging but not impossible once you know how to do it.

I'm very happy ESO has challenging quests. If it was a "walk in the park" it would get boring very fast.

If something isn't working out try a different build, try a different tactic.

If they change the difficulty "so everybody can play but at the same time not so easy you can do it blind folded" the ones that aren't having these issues with the game are going to find it too easy and get bored. So, who wins?

• MysticAura
    MysticAura
    ✭✭✭
    I've solo'd 90% of the content so far. Some bosses I had to leave and come back when I was better equipped. It is challenging yes, but I usually see that as a good thing. TBH the only boss I found exceedingly hard (but I still eventually won) was Doshia..she and her kind are just nasty.

Large groups are kinda tricky, but if you have snare and knock back abilities you're in pretty good shape. It's often a matter of tactics and crowd control.
  • Xerothn
    Xerothn
    As all the others , i would like to have you check your skill lines, setup etc. Im a sorc, i solo stuff way above my lv with my two pets. Heck, i became a vamp at lv 20 and i did it all alone :) I like being a vamp, it makes it harder. personally i find this game way to easy :)
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like soloing. Yes there are places that require thought before attacking, but that's part of the challenge. Once you get to level 15 and can switch out weapon types, the game gets easier.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Razour
    Razour
    ✭✭✭
    The great thing about this game is the enormous amount of flexibility designed in - any class can use any armor and any weapon; as a magic user you can still join the fighters guild and take skills from that line and visa versa.

My point is that during beta I was pretty rigid in my thinking - I was determined to play an archer and went full-on down that route refusing to use anything but a bow and leather armor (because that's what other games had conditioned me to think). All good for solo'ing your average mobs in ones and twos; but I was getting owned regularly when coming up against 3-packs and bosses because my self imposed constraints meant I had a solo-mob dps archer without the necessary skill unlocked to be able to kite groups or tougher mobs effectively.

Now, since the game went live, I took a different approach. I still wanted to play an archer but for much of the early levels I equipped a melee weapon and picked a range of skills that balanced damage output with some survivability. Guess what? Yep, a very different experience and now that I've leveled up to where I can swap weapons I have my favored bow back but can swap back to the big, sharp swingy thing when/if I have too.

So yeah, during beta I probably would have agreed it felt too hard and I often had to drop a quest until I leveled up above it; but this time around I didn't feel that at all. The only thing that changed was my approach.

Hope that helps.
    Edited by Razour on April 11, 2014 3:31PM
    ╔══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
    αӡѻυг
    ╠══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
    Bosmer Nightblade
    Clothier 50 | Wood Worker 50 | Black Smith 50 | Provisioner 50 | Alchemist 50 | Enchanter 50
    ^^^ Now Recruiting ^^^
    ╚══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL. I have 2 quests at twice my level. I have none that are less than 4 above my level.

I have built the Red Witch very carefully with knowledge I have gained since Jan of this year. She brings the smack.

I was a bit worried that I had moved so far from my main path to get these much higher level quests but it's working out. There are bosses I can not take but they are rare. The mobs are 4 to 6 above me but really ... they just die. I can reliably kill 2 18 - 20 mobs and I just got to weapon swap at level 15.

Now she is a glass canon but my Clanfear "NoFear" and the winged giggler, "Cutiepie" keep the trash off my shoes.
    Edited by poodlemasterb16_ESO on April 11, 2014 8:25PM
  • ricku1967
    ricku1967
    Doraelari wrote: »
    I would hate it so much if they made this game easier. I haven't had any trouble soloing anything and I'm level 26 right now. It would just make the game boring.

exactly, they made this game a challenge for a reason. so people cant get to level 50 in 2 days, then complain that there isnt more to do or not enough content. if they dumb down the game, it will be too boring and everyone will jump ship and go to a different game....Have a marine mentality..overcome and adapt.
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the main reason some new people are finding solo play difficult early on is simply because there are few skill points available early on. As you level, complete more quests, and find more skyshards, you gain enough skill points to be able to spread your skills around more easily. Early on, the skills you choose matter so much simply because you only have a few of them.

However, I do not think this needs revising. Rather solo bosses like Doshia and Gustripper serve as good build checks. Rather than getting into a 4-man dungeon or deep in the heart of Cyrodiil only to be utterly demoralized by the difficulty, you can get a good gauge early on of how your build is performing. Every class has cc abilities and you will need them, especially for soloing. Later on in the game, having self-healing of some sort and/or a protection spell become rather necessary as well. To echo what others have said, if you are using defensive mechanics properly and you're properly geared, then you might want to rethink your build. Respecs at that stage of the game are fairly cheap. There's nothing wrong with it. And it doesn't mean the skills you chose are bad. It just might mean that at your level, you have to be fairly choosy of what you put the points in.

@salla.hellbergeb17_ESO‌
    On the contrary, this is the first and only MMO I've ever played that made leveling a healer solo enjoyable. Resto staves do comparable damage to destro staves and all classes have plenty of strong damage/ cc abilities. At the stage of the game that you're having trouble [Gutstripper/ Doshia], you probably need a good CC badly. I use Piercing Javelin. It's a great GTFO of my face skill that flings enemies back...and if you go with the Binding Javelin morph it keeps them down for 3 seconds. Sun Fire is also a great CC that snares 40%. In groups of two baddies, snare one and javelin the other. Then attack whoever's closer until they're good and dead. Both skills are available early on and will make those early boss fights much easier for you.

To all others, rather than asking for the early game to be nerfed, there are two really good alternative options for you:

1) Readdress your build, gear, tactics on your own and find a way to succeed.

2) Come to the forums and make a thread. Not a 'Nerf this boss' or 'Solo play too hard' thread' but rather a 'Tips for Sorc Doshia fight' thread or something along those lines. This is a community and someone will have some sound advice for you. I'm sure you'll get a 'l2p n00b' comment now and again, but if you can ignore them, you'll likely connect with people who know the class really well and can help you patch the holes in your build.

I know some may be used to easier games and want to just relax and not have to think too hard about a fight. I also know that there are plenty (not even remotely hardcore) players who like a challenge and like the feeling of having to learn from a misstep. I don't think of dying as my having failed. I think of it instead as a need to observe my surroundings/ enemy a bit better and maybe approach the fight in a different way.

The Doshia and Gutstripper fight are learning experiences and they're solo in order to force you to face the lesson at hand. You'll encounter many more Harvesters [Doshia's snake form] and Clannfears [Gutstripper] later on and you'll be unequipped to deal with them then if not for the opportunity to face their unique attacks and mechanics in a solo environment.

EDIT: Removed quote
    Edited by nudel on April 11, 2014 9:13PM
  • McI
    McI
    ✭✭✭
    The game is not too difficult, you need to re evaluate your tactics, gear, and build. I left other MMO's to come to this game because they kept dumbing down the game, and made it far too easy. I hope that they don't kill this game by nerfing pve, that would be such a shame since this game has great potential.
  • Luewen
    Luewen
    I'm with Saiff. This is the first I've heard of it being too hard. I've found it to be fairly easy. I've only died one time in combat and I'm level 12. I have to assume you are underleveled or undergeared, or just not using good tactics... but you seem to have your mind set that it's just "too hard."

Edit: Read your response comments and since you say you aren't underleveled, I have to put your tactics into suspicion. I think using the wrong tactics can absolutely make a named boss very difficult, and depending on your class/abilities, there may be particular types of named that give you a harder time. I had a real hard time with the caster bosses because I didn't have enough stamina to keep them knockbacked/stunned before they killed me (lightning staff boss hit so hard! one zap was 1/3 of my life). So before screaming "NERF NERF" you should try some different tactics or just get someone to do the bosses with. I personally don't want the game nerfed like you are describing... we don't want to be babied.

Indeed its pretty easy to solo. I was taking 3 level higher mobs without much effort with correct set of skills after doing the tutorial islands. Even groups werent huge effort.
  • Myopinion
    Myopinion
    If you are going to solo, you will have to prepare beforehand by crafting your equipment, weapons, food, and potions before getting into fights. Your game progress will be slower, but you will feel a more satisfying feeling of accomplishment when you punch through your opponents.
  • Colonel_Brandon
    Colonel_Brandon
    ✭✭✭
    I have one character in the Aldimeri Dominion and although I would not like the game made less difficult I must admit so far I have been unable to solo any of the (solo) final bosses and have never completed the final ‘Gutsripper’ boss in the Mages Guild quest.
    At the moment I can’t finish the final boss in the Queen quest where we both go into the dungeon and we have to kill the guy. I’m fine up until he summons the 4 extra (guardians, wraiths, helpers?) whatever you call them then I’m dead in two swipes from his sword.

My ‘excuses’, one I’m old as in age and not as dexterous as some of you younger people, second I have colour defective vision and have great difficulty seeing red so can’t always see the red warning markers given off by the NPC. For instance I can’t see the red circle around Gutsripper.

Yet with these problems I’ve been able to play a successful game and can handle anything thrown at me solo outside the dungeons, even some levels above me so it’s not my gear or skills letting me down and at level 9 I should be able to complete a level 8 quest, I just can’t (couldn’t in Beta either but they were even harder then). But there you are, I shall ‘Keep Calm and Carry On’ and one day I shall win and put my demon to death.

Make the game less hard, no, take a friend with you to complete a final boss, yes/maybe, it would be nice.
  • bloodwulfe
    Its funny to see most people saying its easy are not level 50 or vet rank
  • Apricot
    Apricot
    ✭✭
    bloodwulfe wrote: »

It's also funny to see people saying you should reevaluate spec, since respeccing isn't even an option for lower level players.

People who've played MMO's for any length of time know that sometimes quests or bosses are overtuned or just complete garbage. Especially early in launch. Doshia is one of those. There's a difference between something being challenging, which thankfully most of ESO is, and something being straight up stupid.

Dosha was doable on my nightblade. If that was all I played I could come in here and swing my epeen around claiming I beat her while watching youtube and cooking dinner at the same time and then proceed to tell people to "l2dodge" and what-not. Oh yeah, and reevaluate your spec.

With my sword and board DK it was ridiculous. I wanted to spit on a dev. And it wasn't like I could just run out and respec to a more appropriate build for this encounter. I had to wait until I outleveled it by quite a bit and go back and do it.

The fact is that beating this encounter (and a few others) has a lot to do with your spec. It's totally unacceptable that a build that's perfectly fine while leveling and beating normal mobs becomes utter trash in certain solo encounters. This is just a bad game mechanic. It needs to be looked at. And for all you leets who run around fist-fighting spiders ten levels above you in your boxer shorts it has nothing to do with nerfing anything. It has everything to do with ensuring continuity throughout the game.

• Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apricot wrote: »

It's also funny to see people saying you should reevaluate spec, since respeccing isn't even an option for lower level players.

People who've played MMO's for any length of time know that sometimes quests or bosses are overtuned or just complete garbage. Especially early in launch. Doshia is one of those. There's a difference between something being challenging, which thankfully most of ESO is, and something being straight up stupid.

Dosha was doable on my nightblade. If that was all I played I could come in here and swing my epeen around claiming I beat her while watching youtube and cooking dinner at the same time and then proceed to tell people to "l2dodge" and what-not. Oh yeah, and reevaluate your spec.

With my sword and board DK it was ridiculous. I wanted to spit on a dev. And it wasn't like I could just run out and respec to a more appropriate build for this encounter. I had to wait until I outleveled it by quite a bit and go back and do it.

The fact is that beating this encounter (and a few others) has a lot to do with your spec. It's totally unacceptable that a build that's perfectly fine while leveling and beating normal mobs becomes utter trash in certain solo encounters. This is just a bad game mechanic. It needs to be looked at. And for all you leets who run around fist-fighting spiders ten levels above you in your boxer shorts it has nothing to do with nerfing anything. It has everything to do with ensuring continuity throughout the game.

Most the people don't understand MOST people don't like banging their head against a wall. And this happens sometimes in the early solo only boss fights where your couple levels higher still dieing. You "Learned 2 Play" by this time and have DPS CC and probable a self heal or 2. If your smart your crafting your own gear and have it upgraded. Then after all this your still dieing and people are telling you to "Learn 2 Play". The content MIGHT need to be looked at as most people don't want to have to deal with this.

The rest of the games difficulty DOESNT matter as you can always get help in taking out the content.
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a sword and board DK and I thought the same until I discovered THE tactic to use: Dark Talons, although morhps are even better of course. Flip them on after she does her drain spell (which summons the orbs) and it will catch those nearest to her and prevent them from reaching her; since it also does damage and the orbs have very little HP, it will destroy them in the process, giving you time to reach the others. This has turned an unwinnable fight into a fairly leisurely one for me, and I was playing Pact too, with the extra difficult terrain.
    Edited by Ghanima_Atreides on April 12, 2014 11:27PM
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • a_thielen_ESO
    the problem I have is with armor 25% above overcharge level, while blocking, elites just tear right through like nothing. What's the point of being defensive if it's completely neutralized by the actually difficult enemies?
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have to agree that the content progression in the low levels is unbalanced. After level 6 the bosses are too hard to solo. Sometimes your guild mates or friends are not online, or no one wants to group. Yeah I'm sure certain builds are geared toward surviving these kinds of mobs, but a level 8 boss being undefeatable on a level 10 character means it's probably just too hard. Progress jumps from being fairly easy going before level 6 to super hard after level 6 with no real in-between progression. We have to resort to leaving off quest chains to level up somewhat and then go back to finish the bosses. Kinda makes it feel tiresome, unrewarding, and not fun.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Grandpappy
    I'm an old fart, and I love the TES series, I've played demon souls etc.., and numerous MMO's, just left Aion to come here. Now I am no where near as good as many players, but I am no slouch either, and I have yet to kill a level 8 boss solo. Came real close a few times. But there is no option to hook up that I am aware of, I love PVP and would do it in a heart beat. So maybe they could make this option available for those of us less talented, that way they could leave the difficulty level alone, and every one will be happy. In the mean time I will go grind until I get high enough to go back and whip em !!
  • bucpar
    bucpar
    Soul Shriven
    I am a long time MMO solo player (and an old fart) and this game is far from too difficult (Sorcerer). At times it is very challenging, especially at higher levels, but that adds to a sense of accomplishment that comes with solo play. At level 8 some quest bosses are very difficult, but a level or two later they are manageable. I have cleared content in four zones in Daggerfall and I would estimate that 95% of that content is manageable at zone level, and the rest can be returned to at a higher level. I much prefer this to token leveling resistance as I enjoy the journey much more than the end game aspect.

As stated already by many, the game does demand that you learn and play your class smartly, some times each cast/attack counts and should mean something.

As far as multiple mobs, target casters (especially healers) first and use your crowd control/defensive abilities. I take on three mobs a level or two above mine regularly and with a plan I can end the fight with little or no damage. I very much enjoy that I have to think to survive and use those tactics regularly. I will add that sometimes I am surprised by three mobs (respawn or not seen around a corner) and that does not always end in my favor.
  • Apricot
    Apricot
    ✭✭
    I have a sword and board DK and I thought the same until I discovered THE tactic to use: Dark Talons, although morhps are even better of course. Flip them on after she does her drain spell (which summons the orbs) and it will catch those nearest to her and prevent them from reaching her; since it also does damage and the orbs have very little HP, it will destroy them in the process, giving you time to reach the others. This has turned an unwinnable fight into a fairly leisurely one for me, and I was playing Pact too, with the extra difficult terrain.

Well if you could beat this at level eight without being stam starved, hats off to you. I could not. It's not that I didn't know what to expect or what to do, I just didn't have the resources for it.

This is way overtuned for a level eight quest.

For the most part the game is challenging and quite fun. Then there are a few of the solo quests and weird pockets mobs that are totally inconsistent with your tool kit at that level. Why? [snip] is that?

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 7, 2024 2:26PM
  • Keebler
    Keebler
    I honestly don't see what the problem is other than people having difficulty soloing need to take a step back and re-evaluate how they play their character.

I'm Lv 44 now and have had no trouble soloing quests and have soloed most of the world bosses I've come across. I often find myself fighting 6-8 mobs at a time and coming out on top purely because I've taken the time to craft my character to the play style that I want.

I would suggest to the OP and any one else who finds solo play difficult to do the same.
This discussion has been closed.