Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Solo play too difficult

quietscribe
quietscribe
✭✭✭
This is a general comment about the difficulty level for people who are not in a group.

Basically I have found that when on my own, it is super difficult or impossible to kill some mobs if they are either:
* 2 or more at the same time
* Named quest mob

Sometimes I can -just- take on two mobs, but other times, dead, over and over and over again. It has somewhat lessened now I have the Ultimate ability, but even so, that isn't always available, and it doesn't always keep me alive. This has been happening even if I am a couple of levels (or more) over the mobs in question.

I just don't feel that the power level is right for the game right now. I am not an inexperienced mmo or general gamer by any means, and if I am struggling, (read: closing the game often in frustration at repeated deaths) then you can be sure that newer gamers are certainly going to be. It isn't because I haven't tried different build types either, as I have with different sorcerer, and templar, and still death is most frequent.

I like a challenge, but this isn't so much a challenge as an insurmountable cliff most of the time, and that just isn't fun. In an mmo especially, it is a dangerous path to go down because players will just up and leave without renewing their subscription.

This isn't just a small dismissable issue, it is a problem that I face each time I log in. It is the struggle to stay engaged in gameplay when each time I want engage more than one enemy, I end up having to wait around for another player just to be on the safe side, or avoid those mobs completely, which certainly isn't helping me level my character.
quietscribe.wordpress.com
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it is a MMO, god forbid you have to socialize.
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got to 50 without grouping yet. you need to block roll move and re-evaluate your specs. I like that it is actually challenging and makes you THINK.
    Edited by ZOS_SeanF on April 6, 2014 4:43AM
  • Ohioastro
    Ohioastro
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a general comment about the difficulty level for people who are not in a group.

Basically I have found that when on my own, it is super difficult or impossible to kill some mobs if they are either:
    * 2 or more at the same time
    * Named quest mob

Sometimes I can -just- take on two mobs, but other times, dead, over and over and over again. It has somewhat lessened now I have the Ultimate ability, but even so, that isn't always available, and it doesn't always keep me alive. This has been happening even if I am a couple of levels (or more) over the mobs in question.

I just don't feel that the power level is right for the game right now. I am not an inexperienced mmo or general gamer by any means, and if I am struggling, (read: closing the game often in frustration at repeated deaths) then you can be sure that newer gamers are certainly going to be. It isn't because I haven't tried different build types either, as I have with different sorcerer, and templar, and still death is most frequent.

I like a challenge, but this isn't so much a challenge as an insurmountable cliff most of the time, and that just isn't fun. In an mmo especially, it is a dangerous path to go down because players will just up and leave without renewing their subscription.

This isn't just a small dismissable issue, it is a problem that I face each time I log in. It is the struggle to stay engaged in gameplay when each time I want engage more than one enemy, I end up having to wait around for another player just to be on the safe side, or avoid those mobs completely, which certainly isn't helping me level my character.

It would help a lot if you described your tactics and class. There are a few general guidelines.

First, look for abilities that allow you to move enemies around or take them out - for example, dragonknights have abilities that pull enemies towards them; abilities that pin enemies; abilities that knock them down. So you can pull an archer or mage into range; pin them down; or knock down anyone about to unleash something unpleasant on you.

Second, play in third person mode and zoom out. You'll see that major enemy abilities are telegraphed with big red "danger" zones - like a circle around a melee foe or a cone in front of an archer. Countering these when you see them is almost always your best possible move - by getting out of the way or by interrupting them.

Third, try out different styles. For instance, I found lightening staffs to be annoying to deal damage with - but fire and frost to be easier. Some classes have a more straightforward opening style. So see if you do better with heavy armor; melee or spells; close combat or ranged. Pick a style that you can develop and skills that go with it. There is a lot of flexibility here and you'll feel a sense of accomplishment when you succeed.
  • quietscribe
    quietscribe
    ✭✭✭
    Laura wrote: »
    i got to 50 without grouping yet. you need to block roll move and re-evaluate your specs. I like that it is actually challenging and makes you THINK. I miss when games were actually difficult and with all this crying you just know its all going to get nerfed =/

I am fine with their being challenge, however making gameplay this difficult so early in the game (still at level eight) a lot of players are going to give up before actually delving deeper into the game.

Other mmos have suffered because of this very reason and changed their earlier areas to compensate because they lost so many players within the first 10 levels. I feel that ESO will need to do the same, because while some players like yourself will find it great to have that challenge, a far greater percentage will just leave the game completely.
    Edited by quietscribe on April 4, 2014 8:29PM
  • BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭✭
    Well in my experience it was the early game that was incredibly difficult to solo. Especially if you play melee and no DPS roles but once you get to level 12 or so, and get decent gear, the game really opens and feels really balanced out in my opinion.

It is true that at some points, 2-5 enemies are too much for you while a group of 2 players just faceroll trough content so it seems like the game was build with co-op or groups in mind.

While yes, as a MMO, you should expect that and that is what drives many players. At the same time, it is a shame for solo players but nothing that you can't eventually come around even solo.

Currently I am waiting for my best friend to jump into the game but he said it will take some time due to monetary issues so in a meanwhile, this guy runs solo.
  • Jermu73
    Jermu73
    ✭✭✭
    @‌quietscribe

You are not alone with this broblem. I absolutely agree with you. I feel that I have always many times weaker than what the opponent in any level.
  • Ohioastro
    Ohioastro
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd suggest asking for advice on good tactics rather than asking for a game that you've barely played to be made simpler.
  • ml_182b16_ESO
    This is only a problem if you skipped the starter islands. You want to skip content don't be surprised when your under leveled/under powered. I can't count the amount of new players running around the first main cities in Coldharbour rags doing quests lol. I was level 7 and had full magic gear and a full bar of skills by the time I left the starter islands.
    Edited by ml_182b16_ESO on April 4, 2014 9:02PM
  • Awesometographer
    Awesometographer
    ✭✭✭
    I have not experienced this. Anything 2 levels above me (so lvl 25 or lower on my 23 Templar with Resto staff) dies in 2-4 attacks.
  • Jermu73
    Jermu73
    ✭✭✭
    This is only a problem if you skipped the starter islands. You want to skip content don't be surprised when your under leveled/under powered. I can't count the amount of new players running around the first main cities in Coldharbour rags doing quests lol. I was level 7 and had full magic gear and a full bar of skills by the time I left the starter islands.

First i did not skip starter island. I meant that every dungeon what you find after that are meant to 3 or 4 level higher than i am that moment. Okay now im level 18 and everything is lot easier. Now im level 18 and dungeons and quest are level 20 and it is easier now. Still my opinion is that enemys take too little damage and make a lot. So it's hard to stay alive... very hard. But i still love ESO. :D
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solo play is beyond easy.
    • Use tactics
    • Make sure you are geared up
    • Know your build / class
    • Know how to time your attacks

House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • quietscribe
    quietscribe
    ✭✭✭
    Ohioastro wrote: »
    It would help a lot if you described your tactics and class. There are a few general guidelines.

First, look for abilities that allow you to move enemies around or take them out - for example, dragonknights have abilities that pull enemies towards them; abilities that pin enemies; abilities that knock them down. So you can pull an archer or mage into range; pin them down; or knock down anyone about to unleash something unpleasant on you.

Second, play in third person mode and zoom out. You'll see that major enemy abilities are telegraphed with big red "danger" zones - like a circle around a melee foe or a cone in front of an archer. Countering these when you see them is almost always your best possible move - by getting out of the way or by interrupting them.

Third, try out different styles. For instance, I found lightening staffs to be annoying to deal damage with - but fire and frost to be easier. Some classes have a more straightforward opening style. So see if you do better with heavy armor; melee or spells; close combat or ranged. Pick a style that you can develop and skills that go with it. There is a lot of flexibility here and you'll feel a sense of accomplishment when you succeed.
    Thanks for the feedback, however I am aware of the different tactics and tells and do play in 3rd person always. I use block, dodge, and interrupts a lot. I have also tried different styles, but it is still overly difficult, hence why I posted. A game, especially this early on, should not be so difficult to play in my opinion.
    Unfortunately this isn't the case. While the skipping of the starter islands was a bad call from ESO, I did play beta a lot and so I knew to go back and do them, and did so. The issue isn't that I wasn't levelled enough, as I said in my original post, but that the mobs seem to be far greater in power than they should be by comparison to the player compared to other games/mmos.
    I have not experienced this. Anything 2 levels above me (so lvl 25 or lower on my 23 Templar with Resto staff) dies in 2-4 attacks.
    I am glad for you in this. I find this is the case when I am taking on one mob, but not two, or named quest mobs unfortunately.
  • Saiff
    Saiff
    You keep saying that you are playing well, blocking, and interrupting. But it is still too hard? I had no problem soloing content when I was of equal level early on. If I tried to go two levels up pre-10, it was harder. I enjoyed the difficulty because it made me feel like I was actually playing the game now instead of just grinding to a point where it became fun and meaningful. I think it's a great way to introduce new players into the mechanics of ESO and force them to learn to block/interrupt.

You should more clearly define what you feel is overly difficult. Do you die too much? Pre-six you just get to rez at the same spot so dying really isn't an issue, and if someone is turned off by the difficulty and decides they want it to be easy like WoW instead of rising to the challenge, I don't want them in this community.

If anything turns people off from this game (from all that I have heard), it is the quest bugs, roll backs, and other technical issues. Everyone I meet that mentions the PvE difficulty is trying to figure out how to beat it not complaining that it should be easier.
  • hurstrkb14a_ESO
    hurstrkb14a_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I'm with Saiff. This is the first I've heard of it being too hard. I've found it to be fairly easy. I've only died one time in combat and I'm level 12. I have to assume you are underleveled or undergeared, or just not using good tactics... but you seem to have your mind set that it's just "too hard."

Edit: Read your response comments and since you say you aren't underleveled, I have to put your tactics into suspicion. I think using the wrong tactics can absolutely make a named boss very difficult, and depending on your class/abilities, there may be particular types of named that give you a harder time. I had a real hard time with the caster bosses because I didn't have enough stamina to keep them knockbacked/stunned before they killed me (lightning staff boss hit so hard! one zap was 1/3 of my life). So before screaming "NERF NERF" you should try some different tactics or just get someone to do the bosses with. I personally don't want the game nerfed like you are describing... we don't want to be babied.
    Edited by hurstrkb14a_ESO on April 4, 2014 11:24PM
  • lynix112
    lynix112
    ✭✭
    The only thing I have had issues with are elite Caster mobs which I actually found out was my fault for not having enough CC. The idea is to stop the mobs from hitting you because one of the really good things about this game is that the NPCs have the same power as the players. It's good play that beats things, DPS stacking.
  • pjwrwb17_ESO
    pjwrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback, however I am aware of the different tactics and tells...should not be so difficult to play in my opinion.

The only comment I can make here, and I hope it's helpful, is that the game is pretty unforgiving if you overlevel stuff. It's fine early on (where you more or less have to), but 6-17 (my experience so far), I would have been hard-pressed to do most stuff at level. I also tend to keep a skill point up my sleeve to deal with unanticipated difficulties in harder dungeons.

I am not sure how you are being forced to do stuff above your level: I am 17 (almost 18) and have not yet finished the level 15 quests in AD. I've explored pretty much everywhere, done all the quests etc. Sometimes it can be a pain knowing that there are quests you have not done, but I found missing ones on a fan web site (it's sad the list is not available in-game, but not a major problem).

Having said all that, if you want to catch up some time in-game, send me a PM and perhaps we can discuss stuff more usefully and constructively. Forums tend to be full of the "suck-it-up" brigade.

• quietscribe
    quietscribe
    ✭✭✭
    I just wanted to take a moment to thank those that were constructive in their help and criticism in the thread. Many, I know, will not agree with my opinion of the game difficulty or see the issue, but I am glad for those that do understand, or try to help.
  • Taaltos
    Taaltos
    ✭✭
    Gonna be pissed if one of the few fun and challenging MMO's gets nerfed because people can't learn to play. Happened to Rift, ended up killing the fun in that game.
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taaltos wrote: »
    Gonna be pissed if one of the few fun and challenging MMO's gets nerfed because people can't learn to play. Happened to Rift, ended up killing the fun in that game.

I agree completely. People toot casual as a reason but really this is a learn to play situation. I am old and I dont have much free time and I SERIOUSLY enjoy learning how to do things. I'll never get why people just want to drool all over the keyboard as they flop around through content.

but... we know it will happen... it always does. You get a few people who can not accept that there is some difficulty to the game and then NERFNERFNERF
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are play as a templar then use Sword and board, block as it will stun them. Also you have some abilities that AoE a few mobs like "Biting jabs" which you get early on. I have found templar the easier so far. In Beta the game was easier but they have ramped them up a little because it was on the easy side. I would keep at it and if skills aren't working or weapons then try new ones.

I'm level 13 on my templar at the moment and haven't died once and think its prolly the easiest of the classes to survive a fight.

Also use food. Put most your points into Magicka and some in health and get honour of the dead. Use provisioning and get the food that boosts your health or magicka as it really does ramp it up by quite a bit. Get fighter guild ability "Silver Bolts" as that helps no end and is a Stamina attack which knocks down Daedra and undead, really helps with those pesky solo boss fights.

Find a Boon (Like the Standing Stones in Skyrim) as that will give you a perma boost, EG. "The Lady" which gives a perma (While active) boost to armour.
    Edited by Loxy37 on April 5, 2014 12:24PM
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I encountered some of what the OP was facing when I went pure healer, it just was not a good solo build, once I put some points into AS and health it went much smoother. Thats what the game is about, working with all the build variations to get one that works for your playstyle. If you really dont like your class you can make an alt that works better for you as well.
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • Samiri
    Samiri
    ✭✭✭
    Im playing a Nightblade and have died several times, but that's kinda the fun. If I miss a block or two, Im usually DEAD!
    For me this is a really nice challenge and actually makes me want to try harder and advanced.

One thing is certain if you stand in the red stuff and dont block, then Yes the content will be way to hard for you.
    Blocking a mob can give them at 2 sec stun which gives you all the time in the world to go behind them and start hitting them, or use a nice damaging skills or drink a potion (you do have potions dont you?)

Did you know you can also interrupt almost EVERY move the mobs do, the Hard attacks can be countered by pressing right mouse button followed whit left mouse button. You will do a hit and again they will get stunned if they were casting a skill.

I have been using a incrise Magika potion for 10 levels, which have helped me A lot!

remember to get the skyshards so you can get new and better skills
    Join Cyrodiil and go Skyshard hunting, now is the time when several mas has low population.

This game is not a watch TV wile playing game.
    This gave is something that needs your attention.

This is an PG 18 game so its expected in my opinion not to be a game were you get carried to much.

I really hope you figure out were your mistake was made, Im pretty sure its not because its to hard.
  • jmacclureb14_ESO
    jmacclureb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the sentiment that the difficulty seems to be high early in the game. I also get that there is a delicate balance, the devs don't want to make everything too easy, or players will become disinterested. Think of the combat more like Dark Souls or GW2, where you have to roll to dodge attacks, or you die. For me, lag is a factor, as I press an ability and think I've hit the enemy, but they end up not being in that position and I get hit instead.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP , i will pretty much now the 1 skills that until atleast lvl 20 , i pretty much just spammed and with it ALONE i mostly won everything.

Puncturing Strikes.

One of the first skills you can get being a templar.

That thing just defeats everything on auto. Well , almost everything outside group dungeons anyway...
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a ES game.

Playing solo should ALWAYS remain a path to the top.
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Taaltos
    Taaltos
    ✭✭

This is a ES game.

That's cute.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taaltos wrote: »

This is a ES game.

That's cute.

I dont care if a few people in the forums agree.

I only care the devs seem to understand and follow this ideology.
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I agree with the OP some parts are a bit hard that are required solo. They had to tone down that damn mages guild quest against gutsrippers. I have a part of the MAIN quest from the profit that I HAVE to solo and the boss is owning me. I tried to CC him down. DIE. Tried to Over heal DIED tried to use rock formations he casts through them. I GUESS I can block his attack but he spams it quite fast so now im trying to out level it. Even my Ultimate didn't phase him he laughted at me and killed me. Used Backlash + Ultimate barely scratched him.
  • circilion
    circilion
    ✭✭✭
    I myself am a huge loner in ESO, and solo all the time unless its a 4man dungeon like spindle clutch. I haven't had any issues, except perhaps the opposite, its too easy. (with the exception being named mobs of course)

I did however build my character for soloing, and that would be my recommendation to you if you find yourself playing alone quite often.

I am hoping that when I am higher level my build will be decent for PvP, I am under no illusion that I have a very broken PvE Raid character haha. DPS player, with lower than average DPS!! Who wants me!!
    >:)
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Build your character for solo. Yea im pretty sure nobody having trouble soloing thought of this.
    Just because some people find the game too easy doesn't mean others WONT find it too difficult. The idea here is to make it so everybody can play but at the same time not so easy you can do it blind folded. Im all for challenge but dieing all the time on something required to finished solo is gonna get a lot of people angry. Look at all the doshia complaints online.

Its great some people find this game too easy. Your a minority and if the game was set to be challenging for a minority only a minority will play it. That usually causes a game to become free 2 play.
This discussion has been closed.