Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Solo play too difficult

• Darka
    Darka
    ✭✭
    At first i got a little caught out by multi mob based situations
    I died a few times, and what that did is make me approach things differently
    Not everything should be a face smashing keyboard semi afk walk through when facing a mob, it makes
    The Defender Gaming Community Est 2006
    Juganoth - Late Night Gaming on Ebon Heart Pact/Wabbajack
    Social Guild of Older Gamers
    "To Those who walked before us
    You made us what we are
    To Those who come after us
    Let us give as good as we got."
  • Hewwy
    Hewwy
    Dear god please dont ask the game to be easier. Idk maybe my class combo is op (i doubt it as my friends of all different combos do just fine too) but as a DK with light armor and fire staff i can *easily* solo quests that are way above me (red). Yellow quests are so easy its laughable! for me this game is clearly made for console players who have no idea what they are doing. I have got to lvl 41 with absolutely no trouble at all if i die its because i was so bored i got lazy. I am running with the warlock set (lvl 20ish) at lvl 41 and even had the sun set until lvl 35 (sun set is lvl 25ish). Im just going to get to 50 then craft myself a proper set. Really i have no idea how people are struggling, i dont even know what to suggest things die in this game so easily you just use your abilities on them and they will die. I do remember struggling to do the first mage quest at lvl 5 (its a lvl 8 quest iirc) but i realised i had a lvl 1 staff, swapped it out and did it allright, though granted it was a challenge at lvl 5. If id of waited till the right level it would of been *too* easy.

Maybe you arnt using enough cc? cc will help alot, especially on packs that have healers if you dont cc a healer it will be annoying. I think someone already mentioned to block white powerup attacks and bash red powerup attacks (bashing is just a left click whilst blocking). Dont stand in the way of special aoe attacks (the red marker on the floor tells you where its going to hit). Increasing mana will make your spells do more damage whilst stamina will make your autos do more damage (however a staff is effected by spellpower afaik). I really dont know what else to suggest tbh, truly baffling. Im not even a pro gamer or even close to that, i mean really guys comon, your finding *this* game difficult? I was levelling with a friend and the quests (already 4 levels above us) were so easy we skipped an entire zone and could duo lvl 30 elites at lvl 24 (*and* they were immune to cc). Its not even bragging we *had* to make it harder because we could kill things our own level just with our auto attacks.
  • rosseloh
    rosseloh
    Saiff wrote: »
    You keep saying that you are playing well, blocking, and interrupting. But it is still too hard? I had no problem soloing content when I was of equal level early on. If I tried to go two levels up pre-10, it was harder. I enjoyed the difficulty because it made me feel like I was actually playing the game now instead of just grinding to a point where it became fun and meaningful. I think it's a great way to introduce new players into the mechanics of ESO and force them to learn to block/interrupt.

You should more clearly define what you feel is overly difficult. Do you die too much? Pre-six you just get to rez at the same spot so dying really isn't an issue, and if someone is turned off by the difficulty and decides they want it to be easy like WoW instead of rising to the challenge, I don't want them in this community.

If anything turns people off from this game (from all that I have heard), it is the quest bugs, roll backs, and other technical issues. Everyone I meet that mentions the PvE difficulty is trying to figure out how to beat it not complaining that it should be easier.

This is my view as well. My main wears heavy armor and runs sword-and-board, with lots of survivability skills. Because of that my damage is lower than a lot of other people - as a result, fights take longer. I can still do it, and pretty easily when I'm on my game. But if I miss a block, interrupt, or dodge, I'm toast pretty quickly. My survival build just means I can take two or three big hits instead of one.

But, this doesn't mean the game is "too hard". If anything, the difficulty doesn't need a fix - the fact that you can't hit a melee target with a wide-arc swing when they're not highlighted/targeted is what's broken. (If the enemy isn't red-highlighted when you swing, they won't get hit, even if you are standing right in front of them, which is a pretty big departure from the last two ES games). Missing attacks due to what appears to be a design oversight kills me more often than actual combat difficulty.
  • Eris
    Eris
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is hard to develop for solo play. Tanks and DPS say 'Too easy man' and healers always say 'I can't heal myself fast enough for the mobs to die of old age'.
    Side effects of reading messages on forums can cause nausea, head aches, spontaneous fits of rage, urination due to intense laughter, and sometimes the death of your monitor or other object in throwing range. If you find that you are reading forums more than 24 hours a day, please consult your nearest temporal physicist.
  • circilion
    circilion
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, if they nerfed the mobs I would cry. I built my character for solo mode, and I can shred 3 at a time without blinking. (4 however seems to get me torn apart faster than I can click, its like critical mass lol)

If you find you can't solo, respec...
    >:)
  • Darka
    Darka
    ✭✭
    This early in the game life too it is hard to gauge
    Most of it I put down to people still learning

But it seems to go this way after one encounter with something
    If you struggle to beat something there is always some who claims it was so easy they were facerolling at the time to do it.
    Too hard and wipe. People race to the forums to cry that it needs nerfing

Challenge exists on more then one level, as we still find our feet expect a few falls before we learn to master it.
    The Defender Gaming Community Est 2006
    Juganoth - Late Night Gaming on Ebon Heart Pact/Wabbajack
    Social Guild of Older Gamers
    "To Those who walked before us
    You made us what we are
    To Those who come after us
    Let us give as good as we got."
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please devs, the difficulty is great as it is now. For casuals: if you cant run a quest solo, group up, review your gear and your build,instead of asking for a more easy game.
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it is a MMO, god forbid you have to socialize.

This is a ES game.

Playing solo should ALWAYS remain a path to the top.
    You are looking for elder scrolls 6 which this isnt it
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    It's all about builds. Right now difficulty is good for an average build, easy for a great build, and impossible for a poor build. If you are having problems your build is probably poor and you need to respec. This is part of having choices in builds, it means you can in fact do it wrong and make the game hard on yourself. This is great as most mmo's have dumbed down their builds so far that you don't even need to think when you level up.
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny how you get two opinions that are poles apart.

ARGH!, this game is way too hard, I keep dying all the time <insert example here>

PFFT!, this game is way to easy, all you need to do is <insert solution here>

The game is what you make of it, plain and simple. I made a rod for my back on a quest recently, I'll give you the example and feel free to laugh at my expense.

There I was in a dungeon in Grahtwood, doing the unlock the reliquary quest (I think that's what it's called) where I was greeted with what looked a little like a chess board with three pieces. Two stone statues of a Guard, and the other of a Thief. I won't go into the details as I don't want to spoil it, but I struggled with that task.

I was literally on it for over an hour. At first I thought it was because of the twenty other people playing at the same time, I thought they were stuffing it up for me, but no, not the case. I wish it would have been that simple, turns out I was the simple one.

So, with the train of thought that it's other people's fault that I can't do this, I waited for a good amount of time before I was the only one in this room, then got to moving the piece around uninterrupted, and it was only then that I worked it out. Now, some may say, 'Oh, that quest was easy' and others 'Oh, I couldn't do it either ' which is fine, I expect that. Probably more got it though... :\

Now while I'm not claiming to be the sharpest tool in the shed, I'm not dumb either but I sure felt like it. Get's better too!

After I had done that quest I was talking to a guild mate about that quest, and there I was saying how hard it was, he replied with, 'Really, I gave it one turn and couldn't do it, so I just sat back and watched another player do the task, then I replicated what that did and moved on' ....

Yeah, I wasn't feeling exactly like the sharpest tool in the shed at that point I can tell you, and this particular guildy is a first time TES player, (not that it really matters of course) compared to the hundreds if not thousands of hours I've spent playing TES games..... So, why did I struggle and he didn't? because shut up, that's why!

Point is, the game is what you make of it. Some people will sail through a quest and others will get stuck on them hardcore. Remember this "everything is easy once you know how"
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Eris
    Eris
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't even really know what I am doing and certainly don't have a great development path for my characters, but I find my Sword and Board and Sorcerer do great regardless. For instance, my SnB has the flamey chain power, the knockdown power, and the first two SnB powers and those four pretty much kill most on-level enemies if I just go down the list. I have the soul magic power slotted just so it levels but I rarely use it.

Sorry if I don't remember the exact name of the powers.
    Side effects of reading messages on forums can cause nausea, head aches, spontaneous fits of rage, urination due to intense laughter, and sometimes the death of your monitor or other object in throwing range. If you find that you are reading forums more than 24 hours a day, please consult your nearest temporal physicist.
  • Kiybue
    Kiybue
    In every other MMO I've played the starter levels are ridiculously easy. Taking on more than one mob is the norm, bosses are rarely harder than normals. Likely it's done to lure someone into the game and keep them.

However, ESO has made a number of decisions designed around "immersion" and "reality" - many of them I do not agree with, but won't go into. One that I DO agree with, is that the mobs should provide some challenge. In the pursuit of "reality" within a fantasy MMO - ESO in effect asks you "Could you take on 2 or more mobs in real life if you were a rank beginner?" The answer to that would be a resounding NO. The game tips themselves say "Fleeing is a legitimate strategy" and "If it's too much for you at one level, come back when you've gained one or two".

This game, in the starting levels, *is* harder than other MMOs. but there are ways around it. If you don't want to play with others, learn to run away before you die or wait until a higher level. Or - you don't have to fight at all. Sneak or stealth your way around 2 mobs. Believe me - I've seen the end result of games being made easier and it's the ruination of every game ever made.

Nothing says you *should* be fighting 2 mobs. If there are players out there shouting about their general badassery - taking on an entire city armed with nothing but a carrot and a dead trout, well, good for them, but that doesn't mean you need to.
  • SacredWitness
    I'd echo tactics. At level 18 I can take on two level 23s or 3 or so lower level enemies. It's key to size up your enemy, identify their abilities in advance, take care of the most dangerous elements in the opening volley, use CC to keep their pals off balance, and repeat for the rest.
  • Jermu73
    Jermu73
    ✭✭✭
    I think leveling is important so you don't go next zone underleveled. Don't sneak by enemies just try to kill them so you can get those XP points. Some quest are bugged so you need those extra points. Try to find every skyshards in that zone, that helps me a lot. Now i'm level 29 and some quest are easy and some are hard but not imbossible.
  • Woodwanderer
    Seriously?

These things will appear more and more with people spreading more and more throughout the game zones with time and differentiating with levels.

But parhaps just try to reroll the class, or skill poitnts, parhaps smth doesn't suit your game style...

Just please don't make this game WoW...
    [scared]
    Edited by Woodwanderer on April 9, 2014 4:54AM
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well wait to you get to VR1 and up I hear that's a REAL game changer.
  • sandman_uk
    I have to agree the difficulty lvl is very high for same lvl areas. I have just moved to the lvl 15 area I am well geared but being *** by 2 lvl 15 enemy.

Now I am not looking for an easy game and would expect it if I was running in a lvl 20 area.

With the high cost of repairing items it gets a bit frustrating. I understand its easier in a group but sometimes people solo

Just needs adjusting and balancing out
  • Mystrider
    Mystrider
    Thats the good about this game, you have to think before act
  • MkChkn
    MkChkn
    When I feel its getting difficult its usually because I've forgot to repair my items.
  • Spriggen
    Spriggen
    ✭✭✭
    Sure there have some bosses I've had a challenging time to kI'll but I prevailed. This game is very friendly to solo players like me
  • temjiu
    temjiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand your frustration OP. I just recently backed off from a lvl 15 boss on my lvl 14 Templar after dying multiple times.

On one of the mini bosses in the quest i waited around for about 10m until someone else showed up that was doing the same quest. I just couldn't down him (spellcaster, no cast times to interrupt, no tiemd hits to block, etc.). after dying to the main boss, i decided to get back to town, fix my broken gear (it needed it) and rethink the situation.

Once I got back into town, I realized during exploration that I could buy some basic lower level enchantements. and I decided to enchant some of my gear with spell resist (i had the spare enchant stuff sitting around).

went back, soloed the mini-boss that had killed me before. gonna wait till im at least 15 (on level) to try the boss again.

It seems like this game is sensitive to level variations...ESPECIALLY when you underlevel the mobs. It's also not friendly to dealing with large groups...each individual mob deals high damage alone...to of them is brutal. I agree that individual mobs damage when you add in CC, special abilities, etc.

Still not sure if i want to say it needs to be changed or not...for the first time in a long time I'm enjoying that I HAVE to think about my build, my skill execution, etc. I think there's a few things about the design of the game that makes the lower levels tough though.

One, being able to be flexible and beat most things solo relies on having a certain spread of abilities available, AND the right gear selection. This is even more important when you are going a strict melee build.My templar has issues in many areas that my Sorc breezes through. But as you get higher, your available skills broaden and you can switch things in and out at will.

Two, gear development is important. if you want to solo everything you come across, you either need to pick a class that is very suitable for this, or spend allot of time crafting and enchanting different sets of gear. A good example is my spell resist gear above...im going to craft a set of lvl 14 or 16 gear with spell resist to deal with those pesky mobs that i can't interrupt or heal through.

Its a tough bell curve, but im still hesitant to ask for change...because in all honesty, its the first MMO that made me feel like it was worth spending time on. I actually have to explore to find things and grow the speed I want to. I actually have to think about my gear on a tough fight rather then just powering through it with green grea i get from quests. its fun IMO. but they could adjust a few things...

LIke costs. right now i feel that many costs (repairs, enchants, etc) are a bit high for beginning players. enchants and repairs are a BIG survival necessity early on, and they're cost feels very prohibitive to me. Id rather see them become a bit more available early on and allow me to have more flexibility that way, rather then reduce the challenge in the game.
  • Soul1172
    Soul1172
    ✭✭
    Plz plz plz don`t make game more easy!
    I`ve played too many games that was nerfed...
    And you`ve already made it easyer - i`ve played beta and there named elite mob was guarded by elite groups - now there are no elite groups - only named was left elite - others are non-elite.
    To those who complain that game is too hard - it`s MMO - serch guild - search party - talk to ppl! If you want to play alone - go and play Skyrim!
    Its enough of whining - don`t kill the game - because ppl who realy like the game as it is - will leave - and you whainers will leave it too after-all...
    Go kill WoW - its already a game for children and housewifes...
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soul1172 wrote: »
    Plz plz plz don`t make game more easy!
    I`ve played too many games that was nerfed...
    And you`ve already made it easyer - i`ve played beta and there named elite mob was guarded by elite groups - now there are no elite groups - only named was left elite - others are non-elite.
    To those who complain that game is too hard - it`s MMO - serch guild - search party - talk to ppl! If you want to play alone - go and play Skyrim!
    Its enough of whining - don`t kill the game - because ppl who realy like the game as it is - will leave - and you whainers will leave it too after-all...
    Go kill WoW - its already a game for children and housewifes...

Do understand if the game doesn't have the "RIGHT" difficulty your gonna find it free to play fast. Some people are very good at games and will never find the challenge they are looking for while others cant tell their sword from their arm.

The goal is to find the RIGHT difficulty to keep a GOOD player base. Solo ONLY content that you CANT get help with being TOO difficult for people even after over leveling makes for a VERY unenjoyable game.

You can tell them to leave and that's what they will do and soon you will find the #'s for this game plummeting to F2P. Then your expansions become nonexistent with the game basically dead.

Lot of people have stated they are good at games and are still finding the Solo only content still too difficult. While you want the game harder there are places the game SHOULD be made harder like public dungeons world bosses group dungeons and end game content. Solo only content should be challenging and people are finding the "challenging" TOO hard that you found TOO easy.
  • Daenerys
    Daenerys
    ✭✭✭✭
    @quietscribe what skills are you using and what is your normal rotation? I love sorcerers, but think the game has been nerfed way too hard by knee jerk reactions to threads like these. That being said, I would like to try to help :)

I have a sneaking suspicion that you are using pets; the only skills I pluck from that tree are storm atronach and bound armor, as pets are currently a giant magic waste that do very low dps. I highly recommend crystal fragments, lightning flood, wall of elements (destro staff skill), endless fury, encase, and bound armor. Also, don't forget silver bolts for those pesky daedra!

when you hit 15 and get your 2nd bar, make it a defense bar w/lighting armor, annulment (light armor skill), dark exchange and bound armor. need that bound armor on there twice or else it will disappear when you switch b/w bars. I pretty much soloed my way to VR in PTS so I hope that this helps :)
  • Firmament
    Firmament
    ✭✭
    My opinion: I am kinda a beginner to mmos and i learned a lot with this game, about tatics und how to use my skills in the right time, not just spam. Please do not change the dificulty. When I die I re analyse how to play and that helps a lot.
    It is not hard, you need to cc, do not fight everyone all the time, find a good position to fight, the cooldown for potions is decent. I mean you have tools to succed.
    Edited by Firmament on April 10, 2014 2:26PM
  • Yshaar
    Yshaar
    ✭✭✭
    @Shaun98ca2‌
    so, the "right difficulty" or people will leave and it is going f2p.... this assumption is based on what?
    Name one AAA mmo that had difficulty to high and went f2p?

I know for example: wow had a nice mixed bag of difficulty (leveling) in the BC period. During this peroid player numbers rose to its highest level. After nerfing the whole game to oblivion, player numbers went down.
  • drakuel1ub17_ESO
    Firmament wrote: »
    My opinion: I am kinda a beginner to mmos and i learned a lot with this game, about tatics und how to use my skills in the right time, not just spam. Please do not change the dificulty. When I die I re analyse how to play and that helps a lot.
    It is not hard, you need to cc, do not fight everyone all the time, find a good position to fight, the cooldown for potions is decent. I mean you have tools to succed.

Agree.. There were some mobs not as designed they did fix and are continuing to look at, but outside of this the game is doing a good job of creating a challenge..

If anything there are still areas that are too easy, or maybe that is not the issue. I know in beta mobs were not utilizing their skills properly or working together.. I know they fixed some of it, but to me there are still NPC's that need fixing. Some are great with their tactics like jumping over you, using group abilities against you but many still are not even using tactics, that makes the combat boring..
  • Evelyn_Nightingale
    Evelyn_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭
    As many before me have said, your ability to survive depends on your build and tactics. Your build and tactics should work together. When you die you should stop and think about what went wrong. Why did you die? How can you adjust your build or tactics to prevent that death?

Also, if you plan on being solo your build will be different from those who plan on playing with a group most of the time. Since you're not filling a group role you have to attempt to pack all the attributes of a party into one character. Sometimes you might still be able to specialize enough to compensate for your other weaknesses.

For example:
    A DPS character rushes to kill the mobs before they can get killed, and his skirmishes are rather quick but may result in death if he takes too long or doesn't respond to the situation quick enough.
    A tank fights to outlast mobs, but he ends up taking longer to kill his enemies.

Not sure about a solo healer. I know I've done it before in another game because I was so shy. My build was average because of that: I needed to be survivable on my own. I was somewhat of a tank that self-healed, and it took me forever to kill mobs on my own. I wasn't an effective player in a group because I couldn't hold aggro to protect my party and I wasn't that good at healing my party due to my build.

I wasn't aware of that flaw at the time because I was relatively new to MMOs, but looking back I realize that I naturally and unwittingly 'chose' that build because of my solo play style. When I found that the mobs were becoming difficult for me I started dropping points into different areas to compensate. My build grew with me because I didn't choose a cookie-cutter build from the start.
    Edited by Evelyn_Nightingale on April 10, 2014 2:38PM
    Ebonheart Pact :: Nord Dragon Knight :: Blacksmith
  • Soul1172
    Soul1172
    ✭✭
    This morning happened to test one thing.
    I`ve made a templar (Ebonheart) - skipped start zone. I was in soul shriven rags with no weapon and no magic nor stat placed, no potions - NOTHING.
    Skipping start zone you are lvl 3 - found near port lvl 5 spider - i beat it with bare hands... :( no skills, no magic, no rotations, no heal... (btw - spider healed).
    Afterwards i run around for about half an hour still with no weapon, but changed some piece of armor - killed mobs higher my lvl without any problem.
  • Bluejay
    Bluejay
    ✭✭
    I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree. So far I think the difficulty is very challenging, but not excessively so. I can take two MOBS at once even if they are 1 or two levels higher than I am, but I have to plan very carefully and play very well to do so. I do die a lot more often than in most MMO's, but the death penalties are minor.

I can see where some people that want more relaxed WOW style content might not prefer this game play, but I am really enjoying the challenge. There are not really many MMO's that require skill to play.

Disclaimer, I am only level 15, maybe the difficulty spikes later?
This discussion has been closed.