Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Anti-Teabagging Policy now encouraging even worse toxic behavior

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Teabagging only has one meaning, and we are not even allowed to post a definition because of how explicit it is. That alone should make it unacceptable.

Untrue. It could mean an explicit act. It can also just mean celebrate one's victory over an opponent in a video game.

I don't bother with emotes, but I assume there is one for cheering, and another one for saluting. Either would fit your bill perfectly well, so let's not pretend players don't opt for teabagging for any reason other than the explicit one.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Teabagging only has one meaning, and we are not even allowed to post a definition because of how explicit it is. That alone should make it unacceptable.

Untrue. It could mean an explicit act. It can also just mean celebrate one's victory over an opponent in a video game.

I don't bother with emotes, but I assume there is one for cheering, and another one for saluting. Either would fit your bill perfectly well, so let's not pretend players don't opt for teabagging for any reason other than the explicit one.

Teabagging is easy, quick, and universally understood. It's also a part of video game history. It absolutely means "lol you lost," probably more often than explicit at this point. I think the explicit meaning is dying out at this point as a lot of younger people don't even know how it could possibly be explicit.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on September 30, 2024 7:37PM
  • o_Primate_o
    o_Primate_o
    ✭✭✭
    All ZOS has to do is code a crouch cool down.
    Xbox NA as o Primate o
  • Heren
    Heren
    ✭✭✭
    All ZOS has to do is code a crouch cool down.

Wrong, and repeating endlessly this 'idea' won't make it a good one.
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was a great PvPer and I felt like I was being mass reported for teabagging by an opposing alliance as a means to remove me from the competition the first thing I would do is stop teabagging.

We may not agree on whether it can be all in good fun or not, but I do agree with this. Nobody makes you teabag and it's really easy to avoid

IF someone got banned for tebagging because someone asked them to stop and they kept doing it that is on them.

All the messages here begging for everyone to be banned for tbagging is just silly. You're gonna get into a "I was stealthing" "no you weren;t" argument that ZoS will have to get in the middle of.
    Will the real LadyGP please stand up.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who is begging for anyone to be banned for teabagging? I have been advocating for players to just stop doing it, especially if they feel they are being targeted, so they don't get banned.
    Edited by SilverBride on September 30, 2024 8:41PM
    PCNA
  • TheMajority
    TheMajority
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Teabagging is easy, quick, and universally understood. It's also a part of video game history. It absolutely means "lol you lost," probably more often than explicit at this point. I think the explicit meaning is dying out at this point as a lot of younger people don't even know how it could possibly be explicit.

really? because when I read cyro zone chat and they talk about who they want to t-bag, it certainly do seem that they know it's explicit and actively want to simulate explicit non-consensual acts, and think it is hilarious. its not, it needs to stop for good
    Time flies like an arrow- but fruit flies like a banana.

Sorry for my English, I do not always have a translation tool available. Thank you for your patience with our conversation and working towards our mutual understanding of the topic.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe ZoS needs to make an official emote that can be used to display a victory after defeating an enemy in PvP and that can't be tied to a lewd act.
    PCNA
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Hmm, not sure how a victory "dance" on my face is anything but lewd.

It's fine when it's a bunch of friends or guilds who know each other. Not fine for randoms. When it happens to me I don't know if they would stop if I asked because I'm so embarrassed by the whole thing I just leave the area.
    PS5/NA
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly. I don't want to make a career of celebrating or I'm going to get killed myself. I don't have time to fool around with the emote wheel figuring out which emote best represents the message I'm trying to send so I'll do a quick dragon squat and on my way I go.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to make a career of celebrating or I'm going to get killed myself. I don't have time to fool around with the emote wheel figuring out which emote best represents the message I'm trying to send so I'll do a quick dragon squat and on my way I go.

Why do anything? The player knows they were defeated. They don't need a gesture directed at them to realize this. And no one is looking at the teabagging player with admiration for pointing this out.

I honestly find it immature but if some think it's so important to their enjoyment then they can keep doing it. Just don't come to the forums to complain if they get banned for it, because they know this is a risk they are taking.
    Edited by SilverBride on October 1, 2024 2:48PM
    PCNA
  • LadyGP
    LadyGP
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to make a career of celebrating or I'm going to get killed myself. I don't have time to fool around with the emote wheel figuring out which emote best represents the message I'm trying to send so I'll do a quick dragon squat and on my way I go.

Why do anything? The player knows they were defeated. They don't need a gesture directed at them to realize this. And no one is looking at the teabagging player with admiration for pointing this out.

I honestly find it immature but if some think it's so important to their enjoyment then they can keep doing it. Just don't come to the forums to complain if they get banned for it, because they know this is a risk they are taking.

No one is coming to the forums complaining. The only people I see complaining are in this thread and by people who want it banned.
    Will the real LadyGP please stand up.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread has complaints about players reporting teabaggers to get others banned. Well if they don't teabag there will be nothing to report.

Knowing there are players that find it offensive and will report it should be enough incentive to just stop.
    PCNA
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LadyGP wrote: »

No one is coming to the forums complaining. The only people I see complaining are in this thread and by people who want it banned.

And most of them are NON PVP per their own posts.
  • Xandreia_
    Xandreia_
    ✭✭✭✭✭

thats one of the problems! same as calling it a lewd act, hardly anyone who plays multi player games sees it as that, its more of a "lol you died" or a greeting to a friend on another team, im over explaining that to people because if it isn't their narrative its wrong and you're gonna get a paragraph and a warning from the mods lol
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin

What can a player that has been teabagged do to prevent further incidences if they are unable to communicate with the player because of them being in another alliance? Or if the player is in offline status?

Giving the player a chance to stop is preferable to just reporting, but how can a player do this if they can't communicate with them?
    Edited by SilverBride on October 1, 2024 5:08PM
    PCNA
  • Xandreia_
    Xandreia_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin

What can a player that has been teabagged do to prevent further incidences if they are unable to communicate with the player because of them being in another alliance? Or if the player is in offline status?

Giving the player a chance to stop is preferable to just reporting, but how can a player do this if they can't communicate with them?

/w @.coolname , being on another alliance is not a barrier
    Edited by Xandreia_ on October 1, 2024 5:10PM
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The whole "asking people to stop first" thing has turned into the second you ask someone to stop they whisper you back saying that "unsolicited whispers will be considered harassment and reported" I've seen this a number of times now. It's flagrant intimidation and attempted abuse of the TOS that really needs to be addressed @ZOS_Kevin
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole "asking people to stop first" thing has turned into the second you ask someone to stop they whisper you back saying that "unsolicited whispers will be considered harassment and reported" I've seen this a number of times now. It's flagrant intimidation and attempted abuse of the TOS that really needs to be addressed @ZOS_Kevin

Block and report
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xandreia_ wrote: »
    @ZOS_Kevin

It is if they are set to offline status.
    PCNA
  • TheMajority
    TheMajority
    ✭✭✭✭✭

thats one of the problems! same as calling it a lewd act, hardly anyone who plays multi player games sees it as that, its more of a "lol you died" or a greeting to a friend on another team, im over explaining that to people because if it isn't their narrative its wrong and you're gonna get a paragraph and a warning from the mods lol

I'm really tired of people saying things like this, when there is plenty of proof through screenshots of cyro zone chat that expose that it means quite opposite to PVP players. There are plenty of PVP who are sick of this toxic non-sense in the PVP space. Lewd remarks about who they want to "bag" which I will not repeat here, often describe non-consentual acts and sexually explicit things which have no place in eso. It isn't a greeting or a lol you died, it is an unessicary form of harassing which needs to stop.

The true meaning is clear from zone chat and whispers. those that say that it does not mean this are protecting actions which others in the community are sick of.

there is no need to do any action at all in PVP, people died and they know it.

if you want to greet a friend /wave is an appropriate way to do so. you don't need to mimic assault to say hi to a friend.

Sorry for my English, I do not always have a translation tool available. Thank you for your patience with our conversation and working towards our mutual understanding of the topic.
  • Xandreia_
    Xandreia_
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm really tired of people saying things like this, when there is plenty of proof through screenshots of cyro zone chat that expose that it means quite opposite to PVP players. There are plenty of PVP who are sick of this toxic non-sense in the PVP space. Lewd remarks about who they want to "bag" which I will not repeat here, often describe non-consentual acts and sexually explicit things which have no place in eso. It isn't a greeting or a lol you died, it is an unessicary form of harassing which needs to stop.

The true meaning is clear from zone chat and whispers. those that say that it does not mean this are protecting actions which others in the community are sick of.

if you want to greet a friend /wave is an appropriate way to do so. you don't need to mimic assault to say hi to a friend.

id love to see these zone messages tbh because i spend ALOT of time in pvp and ive never seen something bad said in zone about bagging
  • Xandreia_
    Xandreia_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin

It is if they are set to offline status.

if youre commited, in game mail
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's also the sweeping emote if saluting or cheering isn't considered "Ha ha, you lost" insulting enough by the victor. I've had that one used on my corpse many a time!
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • TheMajority
    TheMajority
    ✭✭✭✭✭

id love to see these zone messages tbh because i spend ALOT of time in pvp and ive never seen something bad said in zone about bagging

i have gone through the proper channels in order to report these things which I regularly see. I will not do name and shame on the forums or get myself in trouble for posting explicit and inappropriate content to these forums (no, I will not engage in PM either.) I am also in PVP A LOT with my wife lately and it is regularly seen. maybe not on your server/zone/chosen campaign but on the one which we frequent, yeah. and its obvious even if left unsaid, what these things truly mean.

• Franchise408
    Franchise408
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may be an extreme idea but... why not just stop teabagging?

Another extreme idea: why not tell people it's just a game and that they shouldn't take things too seriously or feel offended by a little bait?

Ones doesn't get to take actions that's purpose is to offend, and then tell others how to feel about it. It's very easy to not teabag someone that says they don't like it.

As it's very easy to say to that person that it's just a small and harmless bait and that it has absolute no consequence nor severity, and that he shouldn't take it too seriously.

I remember having received a warning from ZOS for having thrown a mudball on a dude that was playing an awful instrument. I threw only one single ball. And got reported. Made a reclaim, explaining how stupid the situation was, and it got removed.

Just feel sad for the people who feel offended/attacked by an emote nor an action in a game. And I already know you and I will never agree on that. But that's fine. I'm OK with that. And I also know you'll get ten times more upvotes than me for defending your point of vue. And, again, I'm fine with it.

I think that people are far too offended by actions that happen in game, whether it be teabagging or mud throwing, but some of these things are absolutely done with the intent to offend, such as teabagging (mud throwing is an in game mechanic that's done as an event, people really shouldn't be offended by that)

It really goes both ways. I do think people are too easily offended by teabagging, but people are teabagging with the sole purpose of offending them.

Ultimately, it comes down to teabagging shouldn't be a thing.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (mud throwing is an in game mechanic that's done as an event, people really shouldn't be offended by that)

Mudballs are also used to harass. I was opening lockboxes one day looking for a lead and another player wanted them too so they started throwing mud at me as I tried to open the boxes. I asked them to stop to which they replied with a lot of cursing so then I reported them. But I didn't let them run me off.

It really goes both ways. I do think people are too easily offended by teabagging, but people are teabagging with the sole purpose of offending them.

Ultimately, it comes down to teabagging shouldn't be a thing.

People are offended or not depending on their beliefs and values, so in my opinion there is no such thing as being too easily offended.

I do agree that this is done to offend and it really shouldn't be a thing.
    Edited by SilverBride on October 1, 2024 7:40PM
    PCNA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another game I play frequently is Overwatch. I was playing a healer named Lifeweaver and the enemy was playing a hero named Ana. Ana has an ability called sleep dart that she can use to put an enemy to sleep (stun them) for a few seconds. She caught me with it right after I used my ultimate to try to help my team and then teabagged me afterwards.

I decided to get back and the next fight killed her and returned the favor. Ana types back "LOL." She tried a couple more times to get me but instead I got her.

Later on, I got a very good ultimate that blocked a ton of damage.

Ana says "nice tree LW"

At the end of the game (which I won) our messages went like this

Ana

"GG LW. Teabag wasn't personal."

Me

"LOL I know GG"

And that's it. That's the whole story. My team won but despite teabagging the Ana player had no hard feelings.

I have seen the situations where people say rude, lewd, or other such things. But I have also seen it be entirely friendly.

I understand some people have had nothing but bad experiences with it. That is why I never initiate this action against anyone. But, I fully recognize that others do. And that a context based policy is Zenimax's way of acknowledging those different experiences, all of which are valid.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is very easy to not tea bag someone that asks. And if you don't think you can, it's also easy to not tea bag at sll. So, it can only really be weaponized against someone who chooses to let it be used against in them.

I have to disagree with this somewhat. It is bullying, making fun of people, even if in fun. Bullies always think it’s fun even when the victim does not. If you have been the victim of that in real life it is hard to take, because it is not going to be fun for you and it will remind you of previous real life bullying.

I think making fun of other players by using crouch in a way it was not intended is weaponizing crouch. I don’t think crouch should be removed and still think reporting is the way to go.

You only state when friends use it that it is okay, but other players as a rule should use it only when they know the other player is okay with it. That is not always the case.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been a victim of bullying. I don't see teabagging as bullying. It is not generally a targeted attack. And it is done in the context of competitive activities. And it's been a part of PvP video game culture for decades.

Some people make it personal. But, it is not inherently personal.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on October 1, 2024 8:44PM
This discussion has been closed.