Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.2.3 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

PTS Update 43 - Feedback Thread for Class Sets

• code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umbral Edge for PvE tanking...

As I expected, the set has a lot of drawbacks. People reading the patch notes are quick to point out a theoretical maximum of >80% Major Vuln, but those paper stats are not a good reflection of reality.

----
    Test 1: Olms. The classic target dummy for testing tank things.
    1. He swipes me. Procs the set. Nice.
    2. He swipes me again. On cooldown.
    3. He does the lightning puddle mechanic.
    4. He does the conal mechanic.
    5. He does another lightning puddle.
    6. He finally goes back to swiping. But only just twice for one proc before he does other stuff again.
    I did three test pulls and each time ended up with around 33% uptime on the vuln effect, well short of that theoretical figure on paper. Okay, so maybe Olms wasn't the best boss to test with, but it does illustrate that the effectiveness of this is highly dependent on what the boss does.

----
    Test 2: Ever since they first introduced it in Coral Aerie, Finn's team has been extremely fond of peppering in mechanics that penalize the player when an enemy misses an attack. I tested this set with an enemy that enrages when they miss their attack, and yes, the set triggered the enrage. The severity of this penalty can vary, but there are encounters where the penalty can literally wipe the group.

----
    Test 3: Z'Maja. I picked her because all of her attacks (the Nocturnal's Favor heavy attack and the Mind Blast "light attacks" that she spams) are all undodgeable abilities. The set does not allow you to dodge these abilities. But furthermore, it appears that undodgeable abilities cannot trigger the major vuln. I got zero procs of the Major Vuln on Z'Maja because nothing was dodgeable.

I can understand not getting the dodge, but I feel like the vuln should still be allowed to proc even if the damage is unavoidable.

----
    Other thoughts: Turning Tide has no class restrictions, has much better real-usage uptimes on vuln, and procs vuln in an AoE rather than Umbral's single-target (these tests that I did on PTS were all single-target tests since I'm limited in what enemies I can test solo). In fights with adds, it would be easy for the set's proc to be wasted on a low-priority target, because it simply doesn't offer the player a lot of control over the proc, unlike Tide.

So, based on what I've experienced in my tests, I don't think this set is going to see a lot of use--if any--by PvE tanks.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • FoJul
    FoJul
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't tested all the new class sets, but here is my feedback for Umbral Edge. Great idea firstly, I love it. The animation is great, not to happy about the style being copied, but thats just a minor issue. I don't think the set is too strong nor do i think its to weak, however for it to be a class option, it should be mechanically better than the set that's pretty much identical in all cases.

I am referencing Turning Tide. Turning tide can apply the Major vuln to a cone of enemies in front of the character frame. So this makes Turning tide really good for bosses and trash. Most tanks will use this set. Even in Group PvP builds it could be used efficiently.

Umbral edge, IMO can be extremely situational, but I don't think its better than Turning Tide mechanically speaking.

An idea to fix this, and can be altered version of what I'm fixing to say. Would be to allow Umbral edge apply the major vuln to everyone that attacks you during that 3 seconds of Riposte. There is several ways you can go about that. Minor adjustment, wouldnt break the set, and wouldn't make it overpowered. Just a nice set to fit the theme of NB and be actual useful.

The uptime isnt bad, but the suggested fix above, would improve it somewhat on multiple targets. If there was a way to raise the uptime generally speakin, that would be amazing too.
  • Lalothen
    Lalothen
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know this isn't specifically a heavy attack set, but as it is obviously solo PvE Sorc focused, there is significant overlap there.

I don't think HA Sorcs need another set with defensive stat lines. Combined with Sergeant's Mail you then have 4 of 6 stat lines across the two 5-piece sets being defensive, zero crit or pen bonuses, and since solo staples like Crit Surge, Reaving Blows & Pale Order rely on damage output (and crits in the case of Crit Surge) you're reducing your overall mitigation whilst also ensuring fights take longer to complete. There's no advantage to replacing Sergeant's Mail with it either because you're then replacing the most powerful HA set, and running Duelist, Unweaver or any of the others doesn't make up the deficit.

I think @Turtle_Bot has the right idea above, especially when it comes to giving the Stormcalling set some sort of tangible bonus for not having any active pets, and having the Daedric Summoning set double down on pets (either through extra temp summons or enhancing pets in some other way).
  • Lalothen
    Lalothen
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pyreband test parse:
    dyfipo7fjs3x.png

The dot from LAs seems a little on the strong side. I would suggest either a 25% nerf to the base damage, or that the dot's ability to crit should be removed.

I haven't checked the AoE execute potential beyond confirming that it does indeed consume a couple of your other applied dots to maximise the damage, which means sacrificing yet more GCDs on top of performing an HA to reapply those dots so you can proc it again. I'll parse it, but even on paper that's a cumbersome method of outputting AoE damage at a point in a fight when players will typically be focused on a simplified rotation and ramping up their APM to... y'know... execute the enemy.
  • Skjaldbjorn
    Skjaldbjorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone tested the Warden set? The tooltip seems meh, but the 10% is at least interesting.
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lalothen wrote: »
    I know this isn't specifically a heavy attack set, but as it is obviously solo PvE Sorc focused, there is significant overlap there.

I don't think HA Sorcs need another set with defensive stat lines. Combined with Sergeant's Mail you then have 4 of 6 stat lines across the two 5-piece sets being defensive, zero crit or pen bonuses, and since solo staples like Crit Surge, Reaving Blows & Pale Order rely on damage output (and crits in the case of Crit Surge) you're reducing your overall mitigation whilst also ensuring fights take longer to complete. There's no advantage to replacing Sergeant's Mail with it either because you're then replacing the most powerful HA set, and running Duelist, Unweaver or any of the others doesn't make up the deficit.

I think @Turtle_Bot has the right idea above, especially when it comes to giving the Stormcalling set some sort of tangible bonus for not having any active pets, and having the Daedric Summoning set double down on pets (either through extra temp summons or enhancing pets in some other way).

I think people are misunderstanding this set in general.

It's not a standard stat based offensive set but with defensive 2-4 lines. It's a set that requires you to drop all pets in exchange for the stat density of an entire offensive item set packed into the 5 pc, in addition to some defensive lines.

"Damage done to monsters" gets it's own category in the damage calculation, and is therefore multiplicative if you aren't running one of the other handful of items in this category (Bahsai, Ansuul, Velothi, and Empower are the only others afaik).

This is a huge amount of damage, and why others are reporting similar numbers to Ansuul even with 2 defensive lines.

It just sucks that there's diminishing returns with empower, as this would synergize well with HA solo builds in a variety of ways.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, to follow up on my earlier comments about Umbral Edge, I feel like that the dodge is pretty problematic.

In PvE, it means the set can trigger penalty mechanics that have been generously sprinkled into new content, and it means that the set is completely useless with undodgeable attacks (no vuln procs). And for PvP, I've seen a couple of people express concern about the "free dodge".

On the other hand, if the dodge was removed and its associated power budget reallocated to buff the set in other ways...

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    FoJul wrote: »
    I haven't tested all the new class sets, but here is my feedback for Umbral Edge. Great idea firstly, I love it. The animation is great, not to happy about the style being copied, but thats just a minor issue. I don't think the set is too strong nor do i think its to weak, however for it to be a class option, it should be mechanically better than the set that's pretty much identical in all cases.

I am referencing Turning Tide. Turning tide can apply the Major vuln to a cone of enemies in front of the character frame. So this makes Turning tide really good for bosses and trash. Most tanks will use this set. Even in Group PvP builds it could be used efficiently.

Umbral edge, IMO can be extremely situational, but I don't think its better than Turning Tide mechanically speaking.

An idea to fix this, and can be altered version of what I'm fixing to say. Would be to allow Umbral edge apply the major vuln to everyone that attacks you during that 3 seconds of Riposte. There is several ways you can go about that. Minor adjustment, wouldnt break the set, and wouldn't make it overpowered. Just a nice set to fit the theme of NB and be actual useful.

The uptime isnt bad, but the suggested fix above, would improve it somewhat on multiple targets. If there was a way to raise the uptime generally speakin, that would be amazing too.

I get that you are only thinking about pve when making that suggestion, but you are only thinking about pve when making that suggestion.
  • Lalothen
    Lalothen
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone tested the Warden set? The tooltip seems meh, but the 10% is at least interesting.

Quick unoptimised parse here:
    wi6cxdey7dci.png

Eagle's Mark does decent DPS by itself, though I've yet to quantify the impact on Animal Companion skills vs. live builds. My first impression is that I like where this set is at, so I would probably grind and use it if it goes Live as-is.
    Edited by Lalothen on July 10, 2024 4:36PM
  • Skjaldbjorn
    Skjaldbjorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Quick unoptimised parse here:
    wi6cxdey7dci.png

Eagle's Mark does decent DPS by itself, though I've yet to quantify the impact on Animal Companion skills vs. live builds. My first impression is that I like where this set is at, so I would probably grind and use it if it goes Live as-is.

Huh. Might test that. The tooltip made it look a lot weaker tbh. 10% to shalks is nothing to sneeze it. Not sure it'll beat a set like Aegis, but yeah definitely worth a look.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question: How does Umbral Edge work when fighting players with pets?

Test 1: Dueling a sorc with twilight pet
    • The set's proc is consumed to dodge the twilight's attack and gives the twilight (not the sorc who owns the twilight) Major Vulnerability.

Test 2: Dueling another nightblade with Shadow Image
    • The set's proc is consumed to dodge the shade's attack, but since the shade cannot be targeted, there is no application of Major Vulnerability at all (i.e., owner of the shade is unaffected).

TL;DR: You can use a pet to waste your opponent's set procs if they are wearing this set.
    Edited by code65536 on July 10, 2024 8:51PM

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minor complaint on the new Aetheric Lance set: It's kind of difficult to see where the lance is. It gets obscured when there are a lot (some(any)) effects on the ground. Maybe there could be some sort of sound when the spear is created?
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • H_E
    H_E
    ✭✭
    Corpseburster damage in under whelming and could use more proc conditions to become a viable and completive option such as chaining briefly after an explosion consuming all corpses in the explosion rather than just 1 to prevent dense chain reactions or also exploding when a corpse is created from a skill

As the set is right now, for parse set ups, it would be used with detonation siphon as a semi spammable to up its damage from standard aoe damage to slightly above a single target spammable in damage, but at the cost of loosing another 5 piece set which would be rele or runecarver in the meta parse making this set a net loss in damage

And for AOE fights or trash, this set is taking over azure, rune caver or sulzan all of which grant more value than this set and in trash this set would be too slow and mostly proc maybe 2 times per pack and then again after the pack

• ZhuJiuyin
    ZhuJiuyin
    ✭✭✭✭

I think people are misunderstanding this set in general.

It's not a standard stat based offensive set but with defensive 2-4 lines. It's a set that requires you to drop all pets in exchange for the stat density of an entire offensive item set packed into the 5 pc, in addition to some defensive lines.

"Damage done to monsters" gets it's own category in the damage calculation, and is therefore multiplicative if you aren't running one of the other handful of items in this category (Bahsai, Ansuul, Velothi, and Empower are the only others afaik).

This is a huge amount of damage, and why others are reporting similar numbers to Ansuul even with 2 defensive lines.

It just sucks that there's diminishing returns with empower, as this would synergize well with HA solo builds in a variety of ways.

Defensive set? Seriously? When Sorc already has a powerful Ward?
    Not only does Beacon of Oblivion not allow Sorc to have better dps (not using pets has already caused Sorc to lose about 2~30K DPS, but two of the bonuses in this set are even defensive attributes, not to mention that when using the ultimate, it will make no- pet sorcerer loses 5set's bonus), and cannot even provide better defense in PVE (PVE has a defense cap, and too high health is detrimental to some BOSS mechanisms). And this set is almost impossible to use in PVP, because pets are rarely used in PVP, and the bonus provided by not using pets is limited to damage to monsters.
    If Beacon of Oblivion doesn't change, it's just another set that's dead on arrival.

"是燭九陰,是燭龍。"──by "The Classic of Mountains and Seas "English is not my first language,If something is ambiguous, rude due to context and translation issues, etc., please remind me, thanks.
  • spaceghost8
    spaceghost8
    ✭✭✭
    For the Necro set what do you think making it a backbar proc set, kind of like aegis caller/pillar of nirn? 2 of the most popular necro dps sets… Upfront damage and a 10/15 sec dot? This would make the set S tier… as it stands it only suits players that use detonating siphon as a spammable
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorc sets are always DOA. I don't know if it's because ZoS hates sorcs or just don't understand them, but either way.

Monolith of storms was so bad skinnycheeks put out a vid dedicated to it specifically pointing out how pointless and bad it is, and it was the ONLY set that was completely ignored the entire PTS for U40.

monolith is garbage

Not only am I unsurprised that the set is a restrictive version of ansuul, but I'm confident at this point that it won't be changed in any way to address any of the problems.
    Edited by Tannus15 on July 11, 2024 3:49AM
  • Yudo
    Yudo
    ✭✭✭
    Sorc set should ideally give some form of damage boost in PVP, even if that is a fraction of the monster damage.
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what the goal of class sets originally were and with this second wave they still haven't hit home for me.

When I first heard about them, I thought, class sets that would enhance your abilities of that class, give you an extra boost, help you to excel in what that class does best (ie. Templar advantage by staying in the one spot), provide a unique style (ie Templar flares up like a sun), something that really makes the class identity shine out and gives that class something that no other class can do really well. But sadly, we're just not even close to that, it's as if we are afraid to make these sets too powerful, too cool for school or just class friendly.

There are SO many 5-piece sets in the game that when you compare, other 5-piece sets enhance your class abilities better than the actual class sets :D which makes no sense!

I feel like the devs are wasting time pumping out these sets that are just not going to be used. I want the devs to work on things the community can get behind, get excited about and just have fun using and if that means they need to be a little crazy and powerful then so be it.

I really hope all these changes are leading to something greater in the future where we can look back and be like, oh thats why they made that change yeah that makes sense now... but as it stands, I dont see the way forward for ESO except more of the same.
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • FoJul
    FoJul
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »

I get that you are only thinking about pve when making that suggestion, but you are only thinking about pve when making that suggestion.

Actually I'm not. In fact, this set in a group play sitaution is worse than turning tide, and far worse than Kynemarcher's Cruelty. Why would i run this set on NB when i can have 2 better sets. I get major vuln and debuff multiple targets.
  • tonyblack
    tonyblack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pyreband test parse:
    dyfipo7fjs3x.png

The dot from LAs seems a little on the strong side. I would suggest either a 25% nerf to the base damage, or that the dot's ability to crit should be removed.

I haven't checked the AoE execute potential beyond confirming that it does indeed consume a couple of your other applied dots to maximise the damage, which means sacrificing yet more GCDs on top of performing an HA to reapply those dots so you can proc it again. I'll parse it, but even on paper that's a cumbersome method of outputting AoE damage at a point in a fight when players will typically be focused on a simplified rotation and ramping up their APM to... y'know... execute the enemy.

I can’t believe how people unironically call for nerfs on class sets, which require extensive grind and only usable by one class. Most of the already too weak to be competitive in anything other than role playing if anything class sets should be top tier, on pair or stronger than something like relequen, coral or whorls of the depths. I’m still disappointed that first dk set was nerfed to garbage tier, because of pvpers complaints and the rest just stayed on a level of mediocre trash you get from crafted sets or overland drops.

Personally, my overall impression that power budget of new sets again very low and most of them not worth grinding over for anything but their fancy glow.
  • Lalothen
    Lalothen
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yudo wrote: »
    Sorc set should ideally give some form of damage boost in PVP, even if that is a fraction of the monster damage.

Both sorc sets should just get a total rework tbh. The more I think about it, the more it boggles my mind that they didn't think to give the Stormcalling skill line set a no-pet bonus, and thought adding a conditional no-pet bonus to the Daedric Summoning set was somehow a better idea.

Monolith of Storms could be a PBAoE DoT procced by dealing damage with any Stormcalling ability, its damage could be increased for each Stormcalling ability slotted, and it could also do additional damage if the Sorc doesn't have a pet active.

Beacon of Oblivion I like the idea that's already been brought up about it proccing an additional temporary pet when you deal damage with a Daedric Summoning ability. OR it could add secondary/boost effects to your pets when you activate one of their active abilities. For example activating a damaging ability like Familiar's AoE or Tormentor's damage buff, could then cause all of your active pets (including Atro & any other pet procced by a monster set or 5-piece if they're active at the time) to deal bonus oblivion damage for 10s. Activating a non-damaging ability like Matriarch or Clannfear's heal, on the other hand, would proc a 10s buff where your pets heal you and themselves whenever they deal damage.
    Edited by Lalothen on July 11, 2024 10:09AM
  • Lalothen
    Lalothen
    ✭✭✭✭
    tonyblack wrote: »
    I can’t believe how people unironically call for nerfs on class sets, which require extensive grind and only usable by one class. Most of the already too weak to be competitive in anything other than role playing if anything class sets should be top tier, on pair or stronger than something like relequen, coral or whorls of the depths. I’m still disappointed that first dk set was nerfed to garbage tier, because of pvpers complaints and the rest just stayed on a level of mediocre trash you get from crafted sets or overland drops.

Personally, my overall impression that power budget of new sets again very low and most of them not worth grinding over for anything but their fancy glow.

Did you not even bother to look at the pyrebrand damage in the parse image? Check the dot damage in the spoiler image: it's nearly 50% stronger than Relequen, which is too strong. You want it on par with Rele? GREAT! So do I, hence it either needs a base damage nerf OR its ability to crit removing. THEN it will be on par with Rele.
  • tonyblack
    tonyblack
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you not even bother to look at the pyrebrand damage in the parse image? Check the dot damage in the spoiler image: it's nearly 50% stronger than Relequen, which is too strong. You want it on par with Rele? GREAT! So do I, hence it either needs a base damage nerf OR its ability to crit removing. THEN it will be on par with Rele.

I did, and it’s not too strong for a CLASS set, it’s just about right, the only set with decent 2-4 bonuses and strong 5 piece effect. Every class set should be a strong/strongest option not some weak damage proc/utility buff, which outdone by most dungeon and trial sets.

Like sorcerer set (budget ansuul in current state) should get better 2-4 pieces and 5 pieces should be strong for pets as well as no pets (like maybe instead of laughable bonuses to armor and health increase damage done by pets by 50%). Or Templar set with power budget of outdated burning spell weave and more restrictive proc condition should get higher weapon damage bonus and proc overcharged as well. Or arcanist set should get additional damage bonus/buff as proccing 2 random status effects on a single target even with 4-5 seconds cooldown is way too weak.
  • FoJul
    FoJul
    ✭✭✭✭

I did, and it’s not too strong for a CLASS set, it’s just about right, the only set with decent 2-4 bonuses and strong 5 piece effect. Every class set should be a strong/strongest option not some weak damage proc/utility buff, which outdone by most dungeon and trial sets.

Like sorcerer set (budget ansuul in current state) should get better 2-4 pieces and 5 pieces should be strong for pets as well as no pets (like maybe instead of laughable bonuses to armor and health increase damage done by pets by 50%). Or Templar set with power budget of outdated burning spell weave and more restrictive proc condition should get higher weapon damage bonus and proc overcharged as well. Or arcanist set should get additional damage bonus/buff as proccing 2 random status effects on a single target even with 4-5 seconds cooldown is way too weak.

Then explain why Nightblade, gets a bad version of Turning tide/ Kynmarcher's Cruelty. Umbral Edge only affects one person every 6 seconds. Honestly, a wasted slot for anything other than dueling.
    Edited by FoJul on July 12, 2024 1:16PM
  • FirmamentOfStars
    FirmamentOfStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anybody test the new templar set aetheric lancer? My addons do not work on the PTS at the moment, but I observed the lancer doing zero damage when thrown. The proc still provides the 300 spelldamage, but deals no damage. There is no number plopping up indicating the lancer doing damage, nor does the enemies health drop when hit by the lancer.

So...guess thanks for creating a non-functional set for a class craving for some damage in PvP.
  • tonyblack
    tonyblack
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then explain why Nightblade, gets a bad version of Turning tide/ Kynmarcher's Cruelty. Umbral Edge only affects one person every 6 seconds. Honestly, a wasted slot for anything other than dueling.

Well, i haven’t said it’s good either, so you got no objection from me. First iteration of class sets was just about as bad with (coincidentally) dragon knight set as the only somewhat interesting, which was nerfed to become just as useless as the rest of them, it would be sad if that happens again. They all need buffs or total rework to be anywhere viable or competitive, otherwise they aren’t worth farming, upgrading and taking inventory space just to be subpar even on the class they designed for in comparison to generic options, which you could freely move between classes for same boring meta builds.
  • spaceghost8
    spaceghost8
    ✭✭✭
    Dps builds are set up with 1 trial set and 1 none trial set

For necro I usually have ansul and aegis caller/pillar of nirn on the back bar… most players prefer relequen as their trial set… the way corpse buster is set up I don’t see it replacing either aegis caller or pillar of nirn

To make the set more competitive it should deal upfront damage and then a strong damage over time the way pillar of nirn does… this would make the set literally one of the best and a viable option for the necro
  • BasP
    BasP
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can anybody test the new templar set aetheric lancer? My addons do not work on the PTS at the moment, but I observed the lancer doing zero damage when thrown. The proc still provides the 300 spelldamage, but deals no damage.

Yeah, the set seems to be bugged. CMX works for me and while the buff does show up, like you said, the spear itself doesn't appear to deal any damage.

I also agree with the comment on the previous page that said that it would be better if the set would just activate when you walk over it.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    BasP wrote: »
    Can anybody test the new templar set aetheric lancer? My addons do not work on the PTS at the moment, but I observed the lancer doing zero damage when thrown. The proc still provides the 300 spelldamage, but deals no damage.

Yeah, the set seems to be bugged. CMX works for me and while the buff does show up, like you said, the spear itself doesn't appear to deal any damage.

I also agree with the comment on the previous page that said that it would be better if the set would just activate when you walk over it.

Hopefully they listen to this feedback, this set has the potential to be great with just a slight adjustment.
  • FoJul
    FoJul
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    BasP wrote: »

Hopefully they listen to this feedback, this set has the potential to be great with just a slight adjustment.

Its posted several times in the bug feedback about the plar set not working. So it has higher chance of being fixed. Surely they wont let the set hit live like it is.