Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Hardened Ward heal making it to live is a mistake and needs to be changed

• xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    StaticWave wrote: »
    even if the screenshots show Ward + its burst heal doing more than 30-40% of my total healing, you will still not be convinced lol.
    40% would still be within what Arcs do, MagSorc Ward casually registers an insane 86.5% in open world
    rvrEn9y.jpg
    Can someone please show me any other skill in this entire game doing 86.5% of well... anything?
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
    Options
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I did 3 duels vs a NB and used Ward, Rally, and Shroud for each duel. Here are the HPS results:

1st duel with Ward:
    v6egyjzwtmkq.png

2nd duel with Rally:
    374qkf1vz6ob.png

3rd duel with Shroud:
    vrocdkr1i8cl.png

1st duel HPS:
    Ward: 20.2%
    Vigor: 24.9%
    Surge: 20.3%
    Blood Magic: 11.5%
    Dark Deal: 10.5%

2nd duel HPS:
    Rally: 10.3%
    Vigor: 25.8%
    Surge: 24.3%
    Blood Magic: 14.1%
    Dark Deal: 11.3%

3rd duel HPS:
    Shroud: 10.3%
    Vigor: 34.4%
    Surge: 27.3%
    Blood Magic: 8.5%
    Dark Deal: 6.4%

Out of 3 duels, Ward is the only burst heal to deal over 20% of my HPS. Both Rally and Shroud never got more than 11%.

Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc

Options
  • Jsmalls
    Jsmalls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just close this thread.
    If you don't think ward is overperforming you are clearly bias

It's actually not quite clear at all and that's the problem with this thread. People are trying to simplify a complicated thing and that usually leads to flawed evaluations.

I don't doubt that ward can feel like it's over performing but I've also experienced cases where it doesn't feel special at all.

This thread is just a bunch of players giving their individual takes on ward with some passing off their observations as conclusive evidence for one side or the other.

It doesn't feel overperforming. It is overperforming based on CMX data. I can show multiple screenshots of CMX data from Cyrodiil, BG, and dueling and even if the screenshots show Ward + its burst heal doing more than 30-40% of my total healing, you will still not be convinced lol.

But what does this truly even mean though.

Last patch in GvG fights with a healer Ward was still my number one "heal". Think it would regularly provide 80% of my "healing" if I remember correctly (from prolonged fights where I'm zipping around being a mobile nuke). This is just how CMX represents what Ward has absorbed throughout a fight. I used surge, dark conversion, and blood magic to heal under my ward, like a good little Mag Sorc should do.

I get that other classes have like 3 HoTs and a burst heal going, but Mag Sorcs have ALWAYS been defended by Ward as their #1, 90% of damage absorbed healer. Before and after this.

Wish I had screen shots from CMXs before but guess you'll just have to take my word for it. I've looked at CMXs post GvGs (to let the healers know what is and isn't working) I was ALWAYS my own number one healing and they would represent like 10-15% of my healing.
    Options
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jsmalls wrote: »
    Just close this thread.

It's actually not quite clear at all and that's the problem with this thread. People are trying to simplify a complicated thing and that usually leads to flawed evaluations.

I don't doubt that ward can feel like it's over performing but I've also experienced cases where it doesn't feel special at all.

This thread is just a bunch of players giving their individual takes on ward with some passing off their observations as conclusive evidence for one side or the other.

It doesn't feel overperforming. It is overperforming based on CMX data. I can show multiple screenshots of CMX data from Cyrodiil, BG, and dueling and even if the screenshots show Ward + its burst heal doing more than 30-40% of my total healing, you will still not be convinced lol.

But what does this truly even mean though.

Last patch in GvG fights with a healer Ward was still my number one "heal". Think it would regularly provide 80% of my "healing" if I remember correctly (from prolonged fights where I'm zipping around being a mobile nuke). This is just how CMX represents what Ward has absorbed throughout a fight. I used surge, dark conversion, and blood magic to heal under my ward, like a good little Mag Sorc should do.

I get that other classes have like 3 HoTs and a burst heal going, but Mag Sorcs have ALWAYS been defended by Ward as their #1, 90% of damage absorbed healer. Before and after this.

Wish I had screen shots from CMXs before but guess you'll just have to take my word for it. I've looked at CMXs post GvGs (to let the healers know what is and isn't working) I was ALWAYS my own number one healing and they would represent like 10-15% of my healing.

I wanted to point out that even with 3 HoTs rolling on my stamsorc, a 35k HP Ward still does 20% of my HPS. It's pretty decent and on par with magsorc in terms of tankiness. The only downside is less mag sustain and max mag to spam Ward more. In the case that Ward does get adjusted, magsorc can rest assured they will still have the healing to compete.

Platform:
    PC NA

Main:

Options
  • Galeriano2
    Galeriano2
    ✭✭✭
    I did 3 duels vs a NB and used Ward, Rally, and Shroud for each duel. Here are the HPS results:

1st duel with Ward:
    v6egyjzwtmkq.png

2nd duel with Rally:
    374qkf1vz6ob.png

3rd duel with Shroud:
    vrocdkr1i8cl.png

1st duel HPS:

2nd duel HPS:

3rd duel HPS:

Out of 3 duels, Ward is the only burst heal to deal over 20% of my HPS. Both Rally and Shroud never got more than 11%.

And? You expected any other results? Do You also test coag vs rally vs combat prayer?
    Options
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Galeriano2 wrote: »

1st duel with Ward:
    v6egyjzwtmkq.png

2nd duel with Rally:
    374qkf1vz6ob.png

3rd duel with Shroud:
    vrocdkr1i8cl.png

1st duel HPS:

2nd duel HPS:

3rd duel HPS:

And? You expected any other results? Do You also test coag vs rally vs combat prayer?

1st duel with Coag:
    2rc5s1y3lk26.png
    wm751ogahrpm.png

2nd duel with Rally:
    g1bjfjx2iqll.png
    a5j1h1x9x25h.png

1st duel:
    Coag: 13%
    Vigor: 29%
    Embers: 12%
    Shattering Rocks: 10.5%

2nd duel:
    Rally: 8.4%
    Vigor: 40.3%
    Embers: 9.7%
    Shattering Rocks: 12.1%

Not seeing any 20% Coag or Rally. I'm seeing 20% Hardened Ward though.

You know what's funny? Hardened Armor's shield accounted for 8.9% in the first duel. If you added Hardened Armor's HPS to Coag's HPS, then you would get 21.9%, which is basically Ward. Ward is doing the same HPS as Coag + Hardened Armor, but for the cost of 1 bar slot and 1 GCD. Coincidental right?
    Edited by StaticWave on May 26, 2024 9:12AM
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:

Options
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Several more duels with Coag:

39rhnt8l8lcf.png
    c8allia6gbx3.png
    c4r40jzr1t0q.png

None of these screenshots had Coag healing for more than 13% HPS. Funnily enough, Coag + Hardened Armor will give around 16-20% HPS, which is basically Hardened Ward.

So yea, I think I've proven enough
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:

Options
  • Bushido2513
    Bushido2513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just close this thread.

@StaticWave

All you'd be showing me is how on your build in your experiences this number was over performing which I get but what you can't really tell me is how many players run a build similar to yours, play the game in the same way you do, etc.

In this game, the math of something vs how it effects the player experience isn't something that's always easily understood. This is also more skewed depending on build, playstyle, who you're fighting, etc.

So when I say I want to understand if something is overperforming I'm saying that in regards to the majority of the player audience. This is data that we can't even guess at because we simply don't have it.

Here's another way to look at it. Do you think the developers at ZOS use simple CMX data from their play sessions to make choices about the game? I don't, I think they balance on back end data they collect from the game because that's a better way to make a choice based on a complete data set. I'm not saying they get it right every time but that at least they look at the bigger picture.

So no I'm not disputing your findings as they pertain to one player's view of things. I'm just saying your findings are a very small fraction of what I'd want to be able to see in order to understand the effects of this change across the entire player base overall.
    Options
  • Bushido2513
    Bushido2513
    ✭✭✭✭✭

39rhnt8l8lcf.png
    c8allia6gbx3.png
    c4r40jzr1t0q.png

None of these screenshots had Coag healing for more than 13% HPS. Funnily enough, Coag + Hardened Armor will give around 16-20% HPS, which is basically Hardened Ward.

Great, now show me average HPS for all players in PVP zones split by class over the last 30 days please. Also please split the sorc breakdown by those with and without magic pools being the dominant resource. Further breakdowns would be required but this would at least be a start.
    Options
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

39rhnt8l8lcf.png
    c8allia6gbx3.png
    c4r40jzr1t0q.png

Great, now show me average HPS for all players in PVP zones split by class over the last 30 days please. Also please split the sorc breakdown by those with and without magic pools being the dominant resource. Further breakdowns would be required but this would at least be a start.

Nah. That's too much work. I think you should do it instead of me lmao
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:

Options
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just close this thread.

@StaticWave

All you'd be showing me is how on your build in your experiences this number was over performing which I get but what you can't really tell me is how many players run a build similar to yours, play the game in the same way you do, etc.

In this game, the math of something vs how it effects the player experience isn't something that's always easily understood. This is also more skewed depending on build, playstyle, who you're fighting, etc.

So when I say I want to understand if something is overperforming I'm saying that in regards to the majority of the player audience. This is data that we can't even guess at because we simply don't have it.

Here's another way to look at it. Do you think the developers at ZOS use simple CMX data from their play sessions to make choices about the game? I don't, I think they balance on back end data they collect from the game because that's a better way to make a choice based on a complete data set. I'm not saying they get it right every time but that at least they look at the bigger picture.

So no I'm not disputing your findings as they pertain to one player's view of things. I'm just saying your findings are a very small fraction of what I'd want to be able to see in order to understand the effects of this change across the entire player base overall.

So basically with your logic, they never should have nerfed mDW because we never had the data for it, regardless of how many people it appeared to use mDW based on player experience.

I don't have a response to this and quite frankly I'm not paid to do a large scale data analysis. I'll collect small data samples when I'm playing the game though.
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:

Options
  • Galeriano2
    Galeriano2
    ✭✭✭

1st duel with Ward:
    v6egyjzwtmkq.png

2nd duel with Rally:
    374qkf1vz6ob.png

3rd duel with Shroud:
    vrocdkr1i8cl.png

1st duel HPS:

2nd duel HPS:

3rd duel HPS:

1st duel with Coag:
    2rc5s1y3lk26.png
    wm751ogahrpm.png

2nd duel with Rally:
    g1bjfjx2iqll.png
    a5j1h1x9x25h.png

1st duel:

2nd duel:

You know what's funny? Hardened Armor's shield accounted for 8.9% in the first duel. If you added Hardened Armor's HPS to Coag's HPS, then you would get 21.9%, which is basically Ward. Ward is doing the same HPS as Coag + Hardened Armor, but for the cost of 1 bar slot and 1 GCD. Coincidental right?

You're a master of missing the point.

Also going by Your logic if ward is so OP because You got 20% of healing in a duel out of it than surge is even more OP because You got even more healing out of it.
    Options
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    More duels:

1st duel with Ward:
    v6egyjzwtmkq.png

2nd duel with Rally:
    374qkf1vz6ob.png

3rd duel with Shroud:
    vrocdkr1i8cl.png

1st duel HPS:

2nd duel HPS:

3rd duel HPS:

1st duel with Coag:
    2rc5s1y3lk26.png
    wm751ogahrpm.png

2nd duel with Rally:
    g1bjfjx2iqll.png
    a5j1h1x9x25h.png

1st duel:

2nd duel:

Also going by Your logic if ward is so OP because You got 20% of healing in a duel out of it than surge is even more OP because You got even more healing out of it.

I’m showing you Hardened Ward > Coag > Rally. Idc if you want me to test Coag vs Rally lmao
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:

Options
  • Galeriano2
    Galeriano2
    ✭✭✭
    More duels:

1st duel with Ward:
    v6egyjzwtmkq.png

2nd duel with Rally:
    374qkf1vz6ob.png

3rd duel with Shroud:
    vrocdkr1i8cl.png

1st duel HPS:

2nd duel HPS:

3rd duel HPS:

1st duel with Coag:
    2rc5s1y3lk26.png
    wm751ogahrpm.png

2nd duel with Rally:
    g1bjfjx2iqll.png
    a5j1h1x9x25h.png

1st duel:

2nd duel:

I’m showing you Hardened Ward > Coag > Rally. Idc if you want me to test Coag vs Rally lmao

And? Like what do You think You proved with it?

Also going by Your logic and based purely on Your screenshots Surge>Hardened>Coag>Rally
    Edited by Galeriano2 on May 26, 2024 11:58AM
    Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You guys gonna keep ignoring that this does 86% for MagSorc?
    9XXQfm2.jpg
    Options
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can I get a shield on HTD that is 10k to go along with its current heal?
    Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    no because Templar already has Streak, nothing with that kind of mobility needs overpowered healing
    Options
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just close this thread.

This is just how CMX represents what Ward has absorbed throughout a fight. I used surge, dark conversion, and blood magic to heal under my ward, like a good little Mag Sorc should do.

I like the ideas of reducing the free max mag and swapping it into crit chance / changing the scaling of ward or changing the heal to a HOT.
    But this is where I can't follow OPs logic any longer. If you use ward preemptively, by design it will absorb dmg before it touches your health. If my health bar doesn't move, I won't need to get healed by HOTs. So surely it's the one big contributor in CMX. But maybe I just a fault in my way of thinking here.
    Options
  • Bushido2513
    Bushido2513
    ✭✭✭✭✭

39rhnt8l8lcf.png
    c8allia6gbx3.png
    c4r40jzr1t0q.png

Nah. That's too much work. I think you should do it instead of me lmao

Well if the data were available it likely wouldn't be too hard for me to write up something to parse it but it's not and that's my point. Just because we don't have the data doesn't mean we can just fill in the blanks by trying to extrapolate our findings across the player base.

I'm not saying don't do your research but just saying it's not proving much other than what you as one person are seeing from just your view in very limited testing.

Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying don't do your research but just saying it's not proving much other than what you as one person are seeing from just your view in very limited testing.
    So what is it you think you have contributed?

I'll take Static's limited testing over another 700 posts of "trust me bro, I'm a MagSorc"
    Options
  • Bushido2513
    Bushido2513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just close this thread.

@StaticWave

So basically with your logic, they never should have nerfed mDW because we never had the data for it, regardless of how many people it appeared to use mDW based on player experience.

I don't have a response to this and quite frankly I'm not paid to do a large scale data analysis. I'll collect small data samples when I'm playing the game though.

No we definitely get that nerf but not because some player did the math I assure you. Likely ZOS heard player rumblings and it happened to align with their own internal analysis.

I think people tend to think because ZOS did what they wanted that they are actually listening to us. I believe instead they have their direction and analysis that they go by and if it lines up with a specific player request or complaint then all the better. If not they just implement it anyway and will rebalance according to their own metrics later.

This would be vs the idea that a dev read your cmx and was like hey guys we need to address asap.
    Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    WAIT we may have fixed the meta, I consulted the Council of Templars, Sorc may not need a nerf after all
    hUeBXZj.jpg
    Options
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    WAIT we may have fixed the meta, I consulted the Council of Templars, Sorc may not need a nerf after all
    hUeBXZj.jpg

It would be a great QOL change. I can just spam jabs more rather than have to cast that pesky living dark. Too complicated

I never even use living dark so it would be a welcome change
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on May 26, 2024 3:00PM
    Options
  • Galeriano2
    Galeriano2
    ✭✭✭
    Just close this thread.

This is just how CMX represents what Ward has absorbed throughout a fight. I used surge, dark conversion, and blood magic to heal under my ward, like a good little Mag Sorc should do.

I like the ideas of reducing the free max mag and swapping it into crit chance / changing the scaling of ward or changing the heal to a HOT.
    But this is where I can't follow OPs logic any longer. If you use ward preemptively, by design it will absorb dmg before it touches your health. If my health bar doesn't move, I won't need to get healed by HOTs. So surely it's the one big contributor in CMX. But maybe I just a fault in my way of thinking here.

Pretty much my point. OP is basuically trying to reinvent the wheel here. Ward is a skill designed with tendency to dominate in CMX HPS bracket because of the way it works. The less healing abilities someone will add to it, the higher percentage will ward get. This is also why magsorcs right now but even in the past had ward as overwhelming source of HPS in cmx. It's an intended and expected design.
    Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's an intended and expected design.
    Replace Ward with Harness Magicka on your Sorc. Please report on results with CMX. Thank you.
    Options
  • Galeriano2
    Galeriano2
    ✭✭✭
    Replace Ward with Harness Magicka on your Sorc. Please report on results with CMX. Thank you.

Hardened ward being the strongest shield is an intended and expected design. it is supposed to be stronger than harness magicka or even dampen magic.

Quite frankly it was arcanist arrival that disrupted this state of things because hardened became weaker than impervious so I wouldn't be suprised if one of the reasons ward got buffed by adding heal to it was to make it once again the best shield ability.
    Edited by Galeriano2 on May 26, 2024 2:44PM
    Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hardened ward being the strongest shield is an intended and expected design. it is supposed to be stronger than harness magicka or even dampen magic.
    Tarnished Nightmare being the strongest proc is an intended and expected design. it is supposed to be stronger than ultimates or even coordinated group bombs.
    Options
  • Galeriano2
    Galeriano2
    ✭✭✭
    Tarnished Nightmare being the strongest proc is an intended and expected design. it is supposed to be stronger than ultimates or even coordinated group bombs.

It's not and it isn't.

It was for a moment due to a bug that devs fixed.
    Edited by Galeriano2 on May 26, 2024 3:25PM
    Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It was for a moment due to a bug that devs fixed.
    So how do you know Ward's values are intended? Sometimes it takes them a while to fix bugs.
    Options
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Quite frankly it was arcanist arrival that disrupted this state of things because hardened became weaker than impervious so I wouldn't be suprised if one of the reasons ward got buffed by adding heal to it was to make it once again the best shield ability.

You missed the point she was trying to make
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:

Options