Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Companion with worst personality

• peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    Ember... I can only take her in very small doses. Her voice is annoying, but it's the childish glee she shares after killing people. "That was fun!" Um, Ember, we just killed a bunch of people, we pretty much just murdered them, as they were very over-matched. "Is it over?" Yes Ember, once again we just murdered more people, glad to see you'll have no regrets.

Ha, she does do that. For me, I choose to see Ember as the only companion who understands that we are in a video game! I mean, it's not like we as the players aren't also constantly murdering a wider variety of creatures because an NPC asked us to, to obtain a reward, to meet an achievement, or because they were in our way. Those of us who PvP gleefully murder others just like us... their only difference being their chosen faction. Ember has the closest reaction to how we might feel as gamers when we win in combat. We kill without remorse, and feel satisfied when doing it... because we all know everything comes back again and again. :D

I won't quote all of the Bastian discussions, but I thought it might be fun since there is interest in this thread to link to all of his quotes. If you go through and see how much he values books and stories and history, and what his triggers are, I think he was definitely scripted to be someone who is trying to be the hero of his own story, and sees the world in a clear-cut "this is a hero or a villain action" kind of way. He's really big on people reaping the consequences of their choices, which is why he approves of killing cultists and bandits. I probably have a soft spot for him because of this line "You can judge someone's true character by the way they treat their pets." as I agree. :) And I find his voice calming. But I can see where he might come off as judgmental. He is striving to be virtuous, but anyone with that much of an innocents or monsters, heroes or villains world view is going to feel intolerant to some.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isobel
    Mirri... I honestly don't mind her personality, it's her aversion to harvesting butterflies that grates on me. Sometimes when running along I like to harvest a butterfly or two, and I don't want to have to keep dismissing her for that. So I basically turned her into a healer, which I rarely need.
    Bastian.

Really passive aggressive and mean-spirited. He seems to savor belittling people. Don't find him "good" at all. Nagging others and controlling their actions isn't what I call good. (No, I'm not talking about murder or theft. In general, this companion is annoying even when you avoid those activities, which I do.)

I play what you might call "lawful good" characters, and I still can't stand his black-and-white thinking.

He seems to have a "I'm GOOD so I'm soooo much better than YOU." attitude that doesn't take into account the circumstances of others or what they have been through.

He has the bare bones of what could have been a good character but his shallow dialogue and bad attitude really kills what could have been complex and interesting.

How can someone interpret his personality as this. How is he passive aggressive, mean-spirited and likes to belittle people. He's like the opposite.

I think there's finding some companion traits irritating and then there's complete character misinterpretation. I'm going to be honest and say the whole comment gave me pause. I don't think what was said resembles the character at all.

He seems to have a "I'm GOOD so I'm soooo much better than YOU." attitude that doesn't take into account the circumstances of others or what they have been through.

Companions don't exist to make the player feel inferior and if that is the feeling someone is getting from them then I don't know what to say really. There isn't anything in Bastian's dialogue to support this sort of reaction.

I didn't say I felt inferior. He acts superior to every other living thing he encounters. Every tiny mudcrab, every single person he kills, he shouts "they made their choices", as if any of these creatures could make a choice about anything. He has to feel morally superior over everything he encounters.

He's the kind of person who pretends he's good, but inside, he's just not, and is bitter or taking his anger out on other people.

It's really sad that he can do this.

When you get the "they made their choices - so be it" dialogue that is in relation to finishing a fight with a hostile. It means 'they' (the hostile: man, mer or beast) made the choice to fight you and not run away so if they die during the fight that it is a choice that they made. It's not anything to do with morally judging them.

As for the rest...I'm just not grasping what you're getting at sorry. I've read your post more than once now and I still have no idea what you're on about.

Hate away I guess but I imagine quite a few of us reading, who use this particular companion all the time, are left scratching our heads at your criticisms. Which is why you've had a few responses.

Not liking him does not mean hate. People can have a different feeling about something without hatred : ) It is only discussion. I like to read different Analisys based on my thoughts. I do not know why difference in thought is always considered 'hate' when no such emotion is involved.

Very subject to interpretation.

Also cultural background because in my country his behaviors are very very rude behaviors and he would be considered a very crass person who needs to learn humbleness and not demand things of others.

Other commenters would have absolutely had the right to respond to me with confusion if I had worded my criticism of Isobel as such:

"I don't like this character because I think her niceness and distaste for all thing deadric is actually a front for her being a depraved cultist and having her around makes me feel uncomfortable. I also think her love of sweets is not so much that she loves sweets but because it reminds her how much she loves taking it from small children when you're not looking."

There isn't much evidence for either this interpretation of Isobel or yours of Bastian which is why it's confusing as to why you'd base your dislike of the character on it. Obviously I can't tell you how to feel but as mentioned elsewhere, it reads like you've got a problem with a companion that doesn't actually exist in game.

Maybe it bothers me a bit not because I like the companion but because when I was studying literature the rule was: make whatever wild claims you want to make about characters/themes as long as you can justify doing so and back it up referring to the source. I used to do it all the time - wild takes are fine but they have to rooted in the text somewhere. I know the forum companion discussions are hardly held to the same standard but still, it's a good rule to follow at times :D .

Just so we understand each other a bit better and a bit of clarity. When I say 'hate away' I doing so in a colloquial way, as in "you do you". I don't literally mean you are seething with hatred. Anyway, this is just going in circles now and I can see we're just talking past each other so I'm going to disengage. I'm going leave any actual character discussions to those who feel like doing so.
    Edited by Treselegant on February 26, 2024 6:19PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember
    It's moral judgments from my perspective because actually most times you are attacking somebody else first in truth rarely does a creature or mob aggro first always it is you and your companion who is making the choice to attack.

So I see this line as him judging the choice they made in life as "bad and they deserve to die for choosing a different moral path". Which shows to me his lack of sympathetic thought towards other living beings and their circumstance.

The enemies on the map are attacking innocents though, that's why they are marked hostile. They are killing people for various reasons, some of which are literally wanting to kill everyone on Nirn for the aims of some Daedric prince.

Bastian dislikes the killing of enemies marked non-hostile precisely because the player/companion are making the first move and hurting innocents minding their own business. Bastian likes the killing of hostile enemies because they are making the move first to be a danger to passersby.

It does not really make much sense when talking about wolves. But the various automatically hostile human and Daedra enemies we meet are absolutely hurting innocents first. It's the whole reason we get various quests to kill them.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on February 26, 2024 8:52PM
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    Mirri
    not sure if this actually counts because i enjoy playing with mirri the most, but mirri everytime she calls me f'lah deserves a group kick for it
    Edited by Daoin on February 26, 2024 9:00PM
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like all the companions for who they are, quirks and all, and can’t wait for more to get to know!
  • TheMajority
    TheMajority
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Mirri... I honestly don't mind her personality, it's her aversion to harvesting butterflies that grates on me. Sometimes when running along I like to harvest a butterfly or two, and I don't want to have to keep dismissing her for that. So I basically turned her into a healer, which I rarely need.
    Bastian.

Really passive aggressive and mean-spirited. He seems to savor belittling people. Don't find him "good" at all. Nagging others and controlling their actions isn't what I call good. (No, I'm not talking about murder or theft. In general, this companion is annoying even when you avoid those activities, which I do.)

I play what you might call "lawful good" characters, and I still can't stand his black-and-white thinking.

He has the bare bones of what could have been a good character but his shallow dialogue and bad attitude really kills what could have been complex and interesting.

How can someone interpret his personality as this. How is he passive aggressive, mean-spirited and likes to belittle people. He's like the opposite.

I think there's finding some companion traits irritating and then there's complete character misinterpretation. I'm going to be honest and say the whole comment gave me pause. I don't think what was said resembles the character at all.

Companions don't exist to make the player feel inferior and if that is the feeling someone is getting from them then I don't know what to say really. There isn't anything in Bastian's dialogue to support this sort of reaction.

I didn't say I felt inferior. He acts superior to every other living thing he encounters. Every tiny mudcrab, every single person he kills, he shouts "they made their choices", as if any of these creatures could make a choice about anything. He has to feel morally superior over everything he encounters.

He's the kind of person who pretends he's good, but inside, he's just not, and is bitter or taking his anger out on other people.

When you get the "they made their choices - so be it" dialogue that is in relation to finishing a fight with a hostile. It means 'they' (the hostile: man, mer or beast) made the choice to fight you and not run away so if they die during the fight that it is a choice that they made. It's not anything to do with morally judging them.

As for the rest...I'm just not grasping what you're getting at sorry. I've read your post more than once now and I still have no idea what you're on about.

Hate away I guess but I imagine quite a few of us reading, who use this particular companion all the time, are left scratching our heads at your criticisms. Which is why you've had a few responses.

Not liking him does not mean hate. People can have a different feeling about something without hatred : ) It is only discussion. I like to read different Analisys based on my thoughts. I do not know why difference in thought is always considered 'hate' when no such emotion is involved.

Also cultural background because in my country his behaviors are very very rude behaviors and he would be considered a very crass person who needs to learn humbleness and not demand things of others.

Other commenters would have absolutely had the right to respond to me with confusion if I had worded my criticism of Isobel as such:

"I don't like this character because I think her niceness and distaste for all thing deadric is actually a front for her being a depraved cultist and having her around makes me feel uncomfortable. I also think her love of sweets is not so much that she loves sweets but because it reminds her how much she loves taking it from small children when you're not looking."

There isn't much evidence for either this interpretation of Isobel or yours of Bastian which is why it's confusing as to why you'd base your dislike of the character on it. Obviously I can't tell you how to feel but as mentioned elsewhere, it reads like you've got a problem with a companion that doesn't actually exist in game.

Maybe it bothers me a bit not because I like the companion but because when I was studying literature the rule was: make whatever wild claims you want to make about characters/themes as long as you can justify doing so and back it up referring to the source. I used to do it all the time - wild takes are fine but they have to rooted in the text somewhere. I know the forum companion discussions are hardly held to the same standard but still, it's a good rule to follow at times :D .

Just so we understand each other a bit better and a bit of clarity. When I say 'hate away' I doing so in a colloquial way, as in "you do you". I don't literally mean you are seething with hatred. Anyway, this is just going in circles now and I can see we're just talking past each other so I'm going to disengage. I'm going leave any actual character discussions to those who feel like doing so.

I don't remember where I said you didn't have the right to say things? I even said the discussion was interesting. I don't know why you think I said they don't have the right to be confused, I even said I'm not angry and don't hate. Thinking you misinterpret a lot of posts intentions because the need to protect bastian is very strong with you. Which is okay, you like his character. Its just conversation, not a heated debate : ) I'm a chill person.

My claim is rooted in how I have read the text : ) You don't read it the same and that's cool. I'm not having an argument, only a discussion. Its how I feel and I only posted my opinion, and you posted yours. I'm not making a claim in court only posting an opinion of how I see the dialogue. I will continue not summoning him so that his negative energy does not influence me.

real character discussion involves positive and negative and different views from many sides of the coin, its interesting to me when I read a counter view even if my agreement isnt there, so it's real discussion.
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    It's moral judgments from my perspective because actually most times you are attacking somebody else first in truth rarely does a creature or mob aggro first always it is you and your companion who is making the choice to attack.

So I see this line as him judging the choice they made in life as "bad and they deserve to die for choosing a different moral path". Which shows to me his lack of sympathetic thought towards other living beings and their circumstance.

The enemies on the map are attacking innocents though, that's why they are marked hostile. They are killing people for various reasons, some of which are literally wanting to kill everyone on Nirn for the aims of some Daedric prince.

Bastian dislikes the killing of enemies marked non-hostile precisely because the player/companion are making the first move and hurting innocents minding their own business. Bastian likes the killing of hostile enemies because they are making the move first to be a danger to passersby.

It does not really make much sense when talking about wolves. But the various automatically hostile human and Daedra enemies we meet are absolutely hurting innocents first. It's the whole reason we get various quests to kill them.

I wish they would have filter for animal enemies that don't make choices- for a foreign speaker, and for a different culture, it's causing confusion for me and my friends.
    Edited by TheMajority on February 27, 2024 1:49AM
    Time flies like an arrow- but fruit flies like a banana.

Sorry for my English, I do not always have a translation tool available. Thank you for your patience with our conversation and working towards our mutual understanding of the topic.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember
    I wish they would have filter for animal enemies that don't make choices- for a foreign speaker, and for a different culture, it's causing confusion for me and my friends.

I agree! That's such an annoyance. The old companions need to be brought up to the standards of the new ones. Bastian in particular has some strange triggers like his line about unfamiliar magic.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on February 27, 2024 4:26AM
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isobel
    Bastian.

I don't remember where I said you didn't have the right to say things? I even said the discussion was interesting. I don't know why you think I said they don't have the right to be confused, I even said I'm not angry and don't hate. Thinking you misinterpret a lot of posts intentions because the need to protect bastian is very strong with you. Which is okay, you like his character. Its just conversation, not a heated debate : ) I'm a chill person.

My claim is rooted in how I have read the text : ) You don't read it the same and that's cool. I'm not having an argument, only a discussion. Its how I feel and I only posted my opinion, and you posted yours. I'm not making a claim in court only posting an opinion of how I see the dialogue. I will continue not summoning him so that his negative energy does not influence me.

real character discussion involves positive and negative and different views from many sides of the coin, its interesting to me when I read a counter view even if my agreement isnt there, so it's real discussion.

So, I'm going to be frank with you. Thoughout our few interactions I've been pretty gentle with you, using language that gives opportunity to clarify what you're actually on about but you seem to have misinterpreted this gentle prodding as being a heated debate. When someone on a forum makes a pretty wild take that appears to make no sense then other people are going to go "huh? Sorry?" regardless how they feel about the original topic. It wasn't remotely on the same level as asking for explaination from someone in a court of law :D .

Interestingly, it has been in a way, an enlightening conversation. I can now see how someone might interpret a character as totally different to the way many might percieve them as written.

Edited by Treselegant on February 27, 2024 11:21AM
  • polaris86
    polaris86
    ✭✭✭
    Bastian
    I have all the companions, all maxed. After maxing him, I don't see myself ever summoning Bastian again.

My go-to companions are Ember and Mirri. Ember’s bubbly personality grew on me, and she can hold her own as a dps helper.
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    Sharps, Ember & Azander are the best. Good characters I like to have with me whilst playing

Mirri is just too bloody annoying.

(Isobel & Bastian are ok. Ish.)
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azandar
    He has to feel morally superior over everything he encounters.

Meanwhile characters like Isobel actually hope the creatures she encounters find peace.

I can definitely see where you're coming from with this. I haven't used Bastian much, but the discussions on here have made me more curious about him and I've begun to use him more. I can see how you think that with Bastian. But in his starter quest with the few moments that he seems to get really fed up with the person he's saving, I feel like those moments are not going through a filter of moral notions. It seems to just be a genuine human response to the situations he's faced, and he has that grounding to simply do without adding pretense to everything.
    I wonder if it's more fitting to assume that any moral superiority you see with him is his attempt to recognize that he's a good person living a life of warfare in an "eat or be eaten" world.
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malyore wrote: »
    Is there a companion you wished just never opened their mouth? If so, do you still utilize them in order to get their bonuses?

Let me guess...bastian.
    I was right! Ha!
    Edited by francesinhalover on February 29, 2024 4:46AM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me personally, there are some companions I haven't used at all yet. Isobel I didn't even give a chance because she had qualms with the idea of me picking a lock to get her what she needed to help her friend in her starter quest. In my eyes, anyone putting their knightly pride above the welfare of their friend is not worth my time and is not somebody I want around me. Haven't spoken to her since. Sharp as night is another one I haven't used yet just because my current main character wouldn't assist a character like him. But I am interested in finding out more about him. So those two I don't know their personalities.
    I also stopped using mirri when she got disgusted with me for harvesting a bug for alchemy. Made me want to slap her. But other than that, her personality had seemed fine.

All that being said, Azandar drives me up a wall, but I want his bonus so I still keep him around to level up.

Roleplaying aside.

Sharp is the only companion that would happily throw his life away just to save the vestige. You mean everything to him.

He's...The best boy.
    Edited by francesinhalover on February 29, 2024 4:51AM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Azandar. His "I am the only genius and everybody else is inferior" attitude is extremely irritating.

Sounds like all of AD....
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • johnjetau
    johnjetau
    ✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Now I know why his family abandoned him. :D
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember
    I wonder if it's more fitting to assume that any moral superiority you see with him is his attempt to recognize that he's a good person living a life of warfare in an "eat or be eaten" world.

This is one of the reasons I actually like him more than Isobel. It's nothing against Isobel, I like her too. I actually like all of the companions.

But often with lawful good characters they are that way because of some job or because they have an overly idealistic attitude about the world.

But Bastian is actually pretty cynical and angry at the world and his adoptive family. He wants to be lawful good because he wants to do right in a wartorn world. And he doesn't want to allow his rage to consume him. He doesn't want to be like the awful people he's met by watching over his adoptive brother.

The juxtaposition between raging against the world and wanting to do the right thing is an interesting background for a character. Reminds me a bit of Batman tbh.
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isobel
    He has to feel morally superior over everything he encounters.

Meanwhile characters like Isobel actually hope the creatures she encounters find peace.

I can definitely see where you're coming from with this. I haven't used Bastian much, but the discussions on here have made me more curious about him and I've begun to use him more. I can see how you think that with Bastian. But in his starter quest with the few moments that he seems to get really fed up with the person he's saving, I feel like those moments are not going through a filter of moral notions. It seems to just be a genuine human response to the situations he's faced, and he has that grounding to simply do without adding pretense to everything.

He's a pretty well written companion with understandable responses to a lot of things which is why I think he's as one of the better realised ones. ESO suffers from writing that frequently creates the most flat, boring characters you can possibly imagine. So many characters speak unnaturally and in a way that just reminds that you are playing a video game.

If players want the writers to create half decent characters for this game, to improve the overall writing quality, then some need to accept that that means that characters are going to have flaws and reactions consistent with the game world. That doesn't mean some companions don't need to have their current states improved, some lines are definitely silly, but the core should always lie with a well crafted character who isn't just a yes-man for the player.

edit. to make make more succinct.
    Edited by Treselegant on February 29, 2024 5:59PM
  • Daimonion82
    Daimonion82
    ✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Bastian hands down. I'm roleplaying good characters 90% of the time, but his attitude and speaking makes me want to put him into iron maiden...
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

But Bastian is actually pretty cynical and angry at the world and his adoptive family. He wants to be lawful good because he wants to do right in a wartorn world. And he doesn't want to allow his rage to consume him. He doesn't want to be like the awful people he's met by watching over his adoptive brother.

This is a very insightful way of looking at him and I think it's telling that it needs to be pointed out because many people don't get this about him.

I think Bastian has always suffered from... I'm not sure how to put it, maybe a lack of clarity in his character writing? Like it's easy to make snap judgments about him, and maybe the overall theme of who he is and how he interacts with the world isn't conveyed as clearly as it needs to be. I still remember his poor writer (who obviously fangirled him) on ESO Live having to be like "no guys he's actually cool I promise" when the entire chat immediately decided he was boring and lame and only wanted to hear about Mirri.

It's easy to focus on how judgy he is about crime and his undeniably stupid comments about eating bugs and choosing to be stuck, and a lot of what he says leans toward trite platitudes and corny jokes. I think those of us who like Bastian do so in spite of that stuff, because we look past it to see aspects of him that we appreciate. Whereas some people get turned off by that stuff and write him off as judgy and trite, and there's no real reason for them to look deeper for things they might otherwise appreciate.

It also makes me think of how people called him a whipped puppy because of the way he tends to look down as if he's avoiding eye contact, but that comes from the Deadlands Firewalker personality which is supposed to be all about having a fiery temperament simmering beneath a confident exterior. Poor guy needs to work on his messaging. :D
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Seems like we're not making a Bastian fanclub anytime soon.

Stuff his mouth with cheese and you'll never have to hear him again! Bonus, he'll be upset about the cheese. >:)
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

Stuff his mouth with cheese and you'll never have to hear him again! Bonus, he'll be upset about the cheese. >:)

Kevin you're not helping here. :D
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Ilsabet wrote: »

giphy.gif
    Edited by ZOS_Kevin on February 29, 2024 8:32PM
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isobel

giphy.gif

What is the poll now - over 60% don't consider him the worst - looks like a majority to me. Talk about stirring the pot.
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azandar

It's funny, people's discussions of him here have actually made me appreciate him tbh. I never paid attention to him prior. I still haven't interacted a whole lot with him, but from what I've heard and seen so far I think he may become my favorite. I like the building blocks he has. Now it's just a matter of seeing how the execution (not the killing kind like some would have for him) is done. He seems like he has a depth that's different than the others. We'll see how I feel after finishing his quests.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember

giphy.gif

Sheogorath is that you? 😆
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    I've never been a member of the Bastian fanclub but he is WAY better than Mirri.
    PCNA
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azandar
    Does anyone else also have imaginary conversations with their companions? Since I despised Azandar, I had to basically talk myself into doing his quest to get his keepsake. To do so I used a method of imagining my character talking to Ember, who is my current favorite. It makes me appreciate them more.
    For context, my character is a sorc and since Ember is also a sorc I imagine her as my apprentice. My character is mostly aimed at being "good", but has a spotty/violent past that is patterned with revenge. But because ESO doesn't allow as much lashing out like the other elder scrolls games, my character has become a lot more good-willed and tame over the years. Before this imaginary conversation, the only roleplay explanation I could think of for why I'd even have Azandar around is because perhaps my sorc can learn something from an arcanist. But after our "talk", I felt more connected to both Ember and Azandar.

Ember (in reference to my character disliking Azandar): "... So you're just using him to learn some magic tricks? I'm a thief, and even I don't think that's fair. You took me in and have helped me through the good times and the bad. I look up to you. How would you feel if I left you after learning your secrets? We've both done things in the past that others would frown on. The worst thing about him is that his personality is a little rough. What do you expect from an old mage that spends his time living in apocrypha? He probably doesn't have many friends. Maybe you should give him a chance."
    Edited by Malyore on February 29, 2024 10:21PM
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't need to, because he already have one. Kevin, these responses are honestly rather disappointing and in bad taste, much worse than suffering from lactose intolerance. Especially when ZOS has made similar ones to Bastian in streams. He's your character, how can you treat him like this.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isobel

Thank you btw @ZOS_Kevin. I've been considering cancelling my subscription for a while and you've finally helped me make a decision! I don't think community management should wade into threads known for being hot topics and stir things up. I don't really care if others still find it funny but for me - I've had enough.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember
    I like Bastian. I like it when the devs participate in community memes too. It's all in good fun and shows they're paying attention even we don't realize it. It put a smile on my face and got a good laugh out of me. 🙂