Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Companion with worst personality

Malyore
Malyore
✭✭✭✭
Is there a companion you wished just never opened their mouth? If so, do you still utilize them in order to get their bonuses?

Companion with worst personality 247 votes

Bastian
39%
vailjohn_ESOmesnaCaligamy_ESOGedericGlassHalfFullslt101880b14_ESOArizona_Stevehans.johansson1958b16_ESOqwaurckLauranaeflizomicabrutakojouflubber77MoonPileElsonsokadok00PathbaratronTandor 97 votes
Mirri
14%
ssewallb14_ESOmertustaTheDarkRulerSorakaCloudtraderKarminathevampLegolessSilverBrideshadyjane62marlonbrandoVulsahdaalFischblutTreemagnetSirona_StarrBenTSGIldaraFathryonMonte_CristoRedBranchFabresFourRaptorRodeoGod 35 votes
Ember
14%
BergisMacBrideCendrillion21BlkadrJoosef_KivikilpiRoseVexSatanicSisterADarkloreDojohodaRaddlemanNumber7emilyhyoyeonRagnorkTommy_The_GunErickson9610carthalisSpringeyWhimsAVaelhamWildRaptorXBretonMagecolossalvoids 37 votes
Isobel
10%
sarahvhoffb14_ESOAlienSlofKhenarthiAthanasia_NocnitsaTreselegantHurbsterLiedekepeter1488bbrown0770Roztlin45JaraalEzhhADespySnaggelAdremaledward_frigidhandsMesiteHedgeHuggerBetweenMidgetsMogli 27 votes
Azandar
18%
DarcyMardinnick59349b14_ESOPyr0xyrecuprotiteThorDenverRalphyVrelanierNettleCarrierRagnarok0130Thrasher91604fizl101GiantFruitFlyShIm_ShImMeRStackonClownTornaadjlmurra2KlauthWarthogCatagamiGimpyPorcupineChaos2088Grega 45 votes
Sharp-as-Night
2%
KendaricSheridanold_scopie1945vingarmor34lianGeneralEU 6 votes
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azandar
    For me personally, there are some companions I haven't used at all yet. Isobel I didn't even give a chance because she had qualms with the idea of me picking a lock to get her what she needed to help her friend in her starter quest. In my eyes, anyone putting their knightly pride above the welfare of their friend is not worth my time and is not somebody I want around me. Haven't spoken to her since. Sharp as night is another one I haven't used yet just because my current main character wouldn't assist a character like him. But I am interested in finding out more about him. So those two I don't know their personalities.
    I also stopped using mirri when she got disgusted with me for harvesting a bug for alchemy. Made me want to slap her. But other than that, her personality had seemed fine.

All that being said, Azandar drives me up a wall, but I want his bonus so I still keep him around to level up.
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember
    I have all of the Companion keepsakes unlocked, and I intend to keep unlocking the keepsakes of future Companions as they are released. Additionally, some Companions have better Class and Race skills that would allow for better performance in certain roles than others.

So, even if a particular Companion has a disagreeable personality, I may still use them if I need assistance of some kind. That said, I would tend to travel with certain Companions over others, especially if they can fill a certain role well and if their personalities and voice lines are agreeable. As of now, my favorite Companion for their personality is Sharp-as-Night, and his Class+Race skills work well for the role that I like to have around.

I personally voted for Ember as the one with the worst personality. I don't particularly use her keepsake — although it does come in handy when trying to complete the "Loot x Stealable Items of Blue or Higher Rarity" endeavor — and I don't always want to use her Class+Race skills. Further, her bubbly personality, hate of fishing, and her love of killing werewolves definitely drives me away.
    Edited by Erickson9610 on February 23, 2024 2:47AM
  • Serpari
    Serpari
    ✭✭✭
    Mirri
    She hates snakes, I cannot abide a snake hater in my team as a life-long owner of pet snakes. I also found her story to be the weakest. Nightblade also doesn't work well with my play style, I'd rather take Bastian or Sharp-as-Night along.

Bastian is my favorite, I use him for everything.
    Edited by Serpari on February 23, 2024 4:52AM

The bird of Hermes is my name
    Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isobel
    There's just something I absolutely do not like about Isobel. She has the building blocks of a half decent character but she's written so poorly that she comes across as being so 'nice' that she's boring. Her starting quest is ok but whatever was suggested about her personality there does not come across properly in her companion dialogue or her quests. She's nice and she worships the ground you walk on that's about it really.

Both High Isle companions suffer with what appears to me to be an attempt to keep players happy by providing super pleasant, cute types who hero worship you and I think that comes at the expense of character writing. I don't need that in my companions so it grates on me.

Edited by Treselegant on February 23, 2024 4:01AM
  • metheglyn
    metheglyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azandar
    I don't care for the characteristics they've chosen for Azandar. Too quirky, overly eccentric...I find him irksome. I do like his bonus, though, so I have maxed his level and rapport. I've gotten some nice recipes and patterns out of those portfolios, and it's nice to know all my characters can benefit from that.

However, once I got that settled with him, I sent him on his way back to Apocrypha and haven't spoken to him since.
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    He doesn't like cheese... 'nuff said.
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • Theist_VII
    Theist_VII
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isobel
    Sharp has zero votes. 😂
    This has to be the most accurate poll to date.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't dislike any of the companions, so I could go for a "none of the above" poll option.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azandar
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    I don't dislike any of the companions, so I could go for a "none of the above" poll option.

They're all amazing, perfectly-made characters in your eyes? You don't favor one more than all of the others?
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Malyore wrote: »

They're all amazing, perfectly-made characters in your eyes? You don't favor one more than all of the others?

Neither of those was the poll question. :tongue: I'd say that Bastian and Sharp are my favorites, and all of them have quirks or bits of dialogue that I don't enjoy as much, but certainly none of them make me want to shove them in a locker and never let them out.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    Mirri is constantly complaining in her passive aggressive way. I can't stand her and fired her a long time ago.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/598117/i-fired-mirri/p1
    Edited by SilverBride on February 23, 2024 3:59AM
    PCNA
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Azandar
    Azander is whiney and full of himself. Plus no ToT? No *mushrooms*!?! Nope just nope!

PS5/NA
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azandar
    Neither of those was the poll question. ... all of them have quirks or bits of dialogue that I don't enjoy as much, but certainly none of them make me want to shove them in a locker and never let them out.

Now while I may want to shove a few of them into a locker.. For you with those quirks you don't enjoy, would you say there is a character that is affected the most in that regard. Hence maybe, just maybe, you feel there is a companion that has the worst personality out of all of them in your eyes? : 3
    Edited by Malyore on February 23, 2024 4:28AM
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azandar
    Azander is whiney and full of himself. Plus no ToT? No *mushrooms*!?! Nope just nope!

No mushrooms coming from a guy who lived in apocrypha that is in a TELVANNI dlc amazes me. Dude lives in a realm of ink fossils and fungi. And he wants to throw hands with you for harvesting them for alchemy?

Sometimes when he dies in combat and the fight is over I just unsummon him before he has the chance to resurrect. Send him into the ground to make friends with the dirt fungus.
  • Dax_Draconis
    Dax_Draconis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Telos_Tim wrote: »
    Sharp has zero votes. 😂
    This has to be the most accurate poll to date.

"Who's better than us? Nobody."

Sharp is the best! :D
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    I use Bastian only and like him. I tested Miri a few times, and disliked her, so I vote for her.

My panel is reduced to those two, because I have one more comp. that I never used (can't recall name), so I don't know him(her maybe?), and after this 3rd one, I stopped picking companions so I don't have the others.
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • Adremal
    Adremal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isobel
    Just recently came back and haven't completed all of them, but Isobel is definitely seems the worst, given what her likes and dislikes are.

Bastian and Mirri are as insipid as Blackwood. Pity we didn't get a companions in Deadlands, Blackwood felt like was stale bread and Deadlands like tasty garlic bread, so a Deadlands companion would've likely been interesting, but I digress.

Haven't met Ember yet so I have no idea, but I saw what her likes and dislikes are and she can't be worse than Isobel.

I'm halfway-through Azandar's questline and I like him. He's eccentric, granted, but that's to be expected and fits the character.

Sharp's easily the best one. He's basically a socially inept paranoid prepper, and the voice acting fits his peculiar parlance perfectly. He kinda reminds me of Mordin Solus. Him being an Argonian is just the icing on the cake.
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bastian
    Bastian is like the teenager know-it-all who never had to actually live on his own in the tough world, but still knows how everyone should behave.

"Yes, I am wearing 5mil worth of armor that you bought me and clothed me in, but I'm very upset and judgmental that you decided to steal that recipe"

-SMACK-

You wear khajiit's armors and clothes and ride Khajiit's mounts then you speak with respect to Khajiit, or it is into the cheese bag you go, bald-bottom!
    Edited by karthrag_inak on February 23, 2024 5:23AM
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
    GM of Imperial Gold Reserve trading guild (started in 2017) since 2/2022
  • Vrelanier
    Vrelanier
    ✭✭✭
    Azandar
    I used to love Sharpie as much as the next guy, but eventually found out how greedy he is, and it's so disgusting, that I almost voted for him here. But I would've voted mainly because I was just so disappointed, and that was because really used to like him a lot. Had I been more neutral towards him all this time, it wouldn't have mattered that much.

In practice, when traveling around, doing whatever, it's Azandar's evil laughter when mobs die and his constant complaining about riding that is more off-putting. It's constantly there. Sharpie's greediness comes out rarely (luckily) and is painful, but in all other times he is far more pleasant than any other companion. He is so easy to like. Probably has something to do with the voice actor. Also he likes fishing. I like fishing too.

Bastian is my second favourite, but that's because he was the first one I leveled, and I found him nice and protective. Ember is third, she's so cute and excited.
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Azandar
    Azandar. His "I am the only genius and everybody else is inferior" attitude is extremely irritating.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember
    Hard to decide between Ember and Azandar.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ember
    I can't stand Ember for 5 minutes and I don't play with her either. Just went through the quest line to get her as a houseguest.

My favorites are Azandar and Bastian, but I also like Sharp and Isobel.
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Aside from Mirri and Azandar they all have some trait that annoys me, but Bastian takes the cake for having the dumbest lines imaginable. I don't hate him, but he often makes me look like the Cpt. Picard meme when he speaks. A lot of it is like bad poetry and not something a sane human being would say.
    PC EU
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    i like Mirri less than the others because she hates Goblins, but i dont wish that she'd never opened her mouth.
    i mostly like all the companions the same

i think Ember is my favourite
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Ugrak
    Ugrak
    ✭✭✭
    Ember
    Ember is the winner of this dubious title for me, but not by much.

For one thing I would have liked it better if the voice acting was more typically khajiit, but there's also the lines themselves such as "doing something with magicky" and the exaggerated personality overall.

Honestly I couldn't stand Ember at first, but she grew on me over time.

Despite some minor annoyances, I don't mind using any of the companions.

My favorite is sharp though.
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember
    I just find Ember very annoying. I understand where she‘s coming from, but she‘s just not my type of person.
    Azandar, on the other hand, is my favorite companion… and I can‘t even tell you why.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love Mirri's personality, and everything else about her. It's nice to see she's scoring low on this poll. :)
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • jlmurra2
    jlmurra2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azandar
    Azandar. I only played though his quest to the point were I attain him as follower. I didn't hate him, though I remember within his dialog he said something negative about his own personally, so at least the character is aware of himself.
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Bastian mostly because he has my most hated snare quote and just so...mid personality wise compared to everyone else.

"Are you stuck or you just pretending to stand still?"

I wish they remove snare quotes.

• M1SHAAN
    M1SHAAN
    ✭✭✭
    Isobel
    A thread about companions? Sounds like a good excuse to dump my opinions and characters on everybody :D I tried to pair off the companions with characters I thought they'd get along with. I succeeded... mostly.
    • Bastian is the companion for my main, who is a somewhat chaotic people-loving do-gooder dragonknight. They make perfect sense together to me, I love them. For this reason Bastian is my favorite companion, even though as some have already mentioned some of his companion dialogue makes no sense and/or is trying to be deep and philosophical but failing. Questline Bastian >> companion Bastian, but companion Bastian is still pretty great.
    • Mirri hangs out with my sassy dunmer templar. My partner had her with a more serious character, and all her snark just came off as whining and made her unlikable. With my character, though, it comes off as playful banter, and she's pretty fun to hang out with :)
    • Sharp is bros with my chill orc arcanist who mostly wants to study and be left alone. He didn't fish much before meeting Sharp, but found that it was a good way to spend hours lost in his thoughts while still doing something "productive". Sharp is super chill and it's pretty great.
    • Azandar is the hype man for my conniving megalomaniac oakensorc who thinks she's Padomay's gift to Nirn. He doesn't disapprove of any of the evil things she does, and has been layering on the compliments since they first met, so she likes having him around. She just laughs when he's uncomfortable with riding somewhere or picking mushrooms.
    • Ember's an interesting one, she's with my hircine-worshipping werewolf Reachman. I know, I know, Ember hates werewolves. To be fair, he worships primarily the bear aspect of Hircine and would be a werebear if ESO mechanics allowed that, and Ember's problem with werewolves seems to be more the 'wolf' than the 'were' part. They kind of see themselves as the civilization and wilderness version of each other: Ember has traditional magic and street smarts while my character has nature magic and a connection to the land. They learn from each other and respect each other's skills. Plus my character thinks that Ember is awfully cute :D

Then there's Isobel. I tried to pair her with my PvP character because they're both generally good-aligned and hopelessly gay, but as it turns out that isn't a good basis for a friendship :/ Especially after my character sacrificed her soul to become a vampire for the Good of the Dominion (aka the undeath passive lol) and Isobel started passive aggressively praying loudly for her whenever she fed on a bandit. I'm not sure why Isobel's constant references to Stendarr bother me. I liked Erandur in Skyrim, and he was a priest of Mara that talked about Mara all the time. Maybe I just need to make a new character that she'll get along better with.