Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Crafter's Event makes it so you can make 4k plus transmute crystals an hour

• Major_Toughness
    Major_Toughness
    ✭✭✭✭
    This devalues my existing 10k transmutes. Please fix.
    PC EU > You
  • Remathilis
    Remathilis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This devalues my existing 10k transmutes. Please fix.

Don't worry. They did. They reduced it to an explorers event minus the bonus XP. Might as well forget the event is happening..
  • elemdor
    elemdor
    ✭✭
    So you come back home and you get a surprise event,
    you read notice and are attracted by this 50 percent,
    but then you realize it is not working as describe,
    you read this forum disapointed, people exploit this for hours,
    but you will only get some double *** writ,
    and now you cry, please don't make other surprise

• Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a good fix.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I had nothing to do with this.
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • TheMajority
      TheMajority
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Grizzbeorn wrote: »
      It's not a good fix.

I never said you did, nor am I shooting the messenger. I'm simply commenting on the fact that they consider it a fix, when it isn't a good solution. The comment isn't directed at you, but at the concept of this being a fix, when it is not.
      Time flies like an arrow- but fruit flies like a banana.

Sorry for my English, I do not always have a translation tool available. Thank you for your patience with our conversation and working towards our mutual understanding of the topic.
    • Elrond87
      Elrond87
      ✭✭✭
      Remathilis wrote: »
      So the event is basically double drop from harvesting nodes and bonus crafting inspiration?

Yawn.

and master writ values
      PC|EU
      cp2698
      20 characters
    • Grizzbeorn
      Grizzbeorn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      It's not a good fix.

I never said you did, nor am I shooting the messenger. I'm simply commenting on the fact that they consider it a fix, when it isn't a good solution. The comment isn't directed at you, but at the concept of this being a fix, when it is not.

You don't sound like you'd be mollified by it, but he did address the reasoning behind the choice to do the way they did.
      ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
      Yes, this was removed. Changing the decon value isn't how the event was built to function, so it would require a code fix, which isn't a quick thing. The reduction is easier for us to react to since it is effectively a toggle to turn things on and off. We'll look into addressing this for future versions of the event.
        PC/NA Warden Main
      • gvgisdi
        gvgisdi
        ✭✭
        It was never an issue, the devs likely knew what would happen, how could you not. Why complain about it? It was free transmutes and those of you complain ruined it. Do you really think you were exposing something they overlooked? Do you really think they were that short sighted? It was a gift to the player base and now it’s gone.
      • ginkys
        ginkys
        Soul Shriven
        are they bringing the discount for reconstruction ? No point in doing this event otherwise
        Edited by ginkys on February 15, 2024 6:50PM
      • Reginald_leBlem
        Reginald_leBlem
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        @ZOS_Kevin Did you intentionally remove the %50 off reduction? Why not just remove the part where people could decon for double instead of taking away the %50 off? That was the most exciting part of the event

Yes, this was removed. Changing the decon value isn't how the event was built to function, so it would require a code fix, which isn't a quick thing. The reduction is easier for us to react to since it is effectively a toggle to turn things on and off. We'll look into addressing this for future versions of the event.

How on Earth was the event allowed to go live like this? How was such an obvious "exploit" allowed to go live? You said yourself-- this was a surpise event. You could have fixed it and launched it next weekend working how you wanted it to and we would have been none the wiser. You could have tested it on PTS, even.

As-is, it's completely underwhelming. For a couple of hours I was very much looking forward to reconstructing some sets when I got home from work, now I won't be able to still. I didn't lose anything, but the botched turn out has lost you guys some good will, which I'm sure was not the goal.
      • Estin
        Estin
        ✭✭✭✭
        I'm disappointed that the 50% reconstruction isn't enabled despite the in game banner still advertising it, but I'm not surprised that a very simple exploit like this flew under the team's radars considering how often exploits and bugs get pushed to live with every update.

I understand the sentiment behind surprises, but the game has a PTS for a reason. The players are more effective for figuring out exploits and bugs than whatever QA team ZOS has on board. I don't think there's anything else special in this event that's not done elsewhere.
      • EF321
        EF321
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        @ZOS_Kevin Did you intentionally remove the %50 off reduction? Why not just remove the part where people could decon for double instead of taking away the %50 off? That was the most exciting part of the event

How on Earth was the event allowed to go live like this? How was such an obvious "exploit" allowed to go live? You said yourself-- this was a surpise event. You could have fixed it and launched it next weekend working how you wanted it to and we would have been none the wiser. You could have tested it on PTS, even.

As-is, it's completely underwhelming. For a couple of hours I was very much looking forward to reconstructing some sets when I got home from work, now I won't be able to still. I didn't lose anything, but the botched turn out has lost you guys some good will, which I'm sure was not the goal.

Yes, this is such a bummer. Even is dropped out of the blue, five minutes in and instead of being happy people are worrying about getting banned for participating...
      • ginkys
        ginkys
        Soul Shriven
        This looked like such a promising event - unfortunately that is no longer the case. I’m not sure what is meant by “not how the event was supposed to function” when it was advertised in the into card when you log in.
      • pklemming
        pklemming
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Every day I appreciate Ludeon studios more and more.
      • Reginald_leBlem
        Reginald_leBlem
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        EF321 wrote: »

Yes, this is such a bummer. Even is dropped out of the blue, five minutes in and instead of being happy people are worrying about getting banned for participating...

It took players 0 time to find the exploit, because just reading the announcement you could predict the existence of it. . . HOW did not a single person at zos catch it and fix it before it went live?
      • Grizzbeorn
        Grizzbeorn
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭
        pklemming wrote: »
        Every day I appreciate Ludeon studios more and more.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php
          PC/NA Warden Main
        • TheMajority
          TheMajority
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          It's not a good fix.

You don't sound like you'd be mollified by it, but he did address the reasoning behind the choice to do the way they did.

Yes, his reply was to me, so I did see it already. As I said, I feel a solution should be found and the event extended, rather than promising that it will be in the future.
          Time flies like an arrow- but fruit flies like a banana.

Sorry for my English, I do not always have a translation tool available. Thank you for your patience with our conversation and working towards our mutual understanding of the topic.
        • Destai
          Destai
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭
          Tyrant_Tim wrote: »
          Destai wrote: »

Good call, seems like the right move.

Great call even, why replace it with anything else when you can just tell people to wait until the next time the event comes around.

I'd rather have that then potentially more bugs and issues. I don't like it, but seems like the right move. Feel free to disagree.
        • Remathilis
          Remathilis
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          Elrond87 wrote: »
          Remathilis wrote: »
          So the event is basically double drop from harvesting nodes and bonus crafting inspiration?

Yawn.

and master writ values

If you get it during the event. Priors ones you have aren't effected
        • loosej
          loosej
          ✭✭✭✭
          sh4d0wh4z3 wrote: »
          I think this just proves they don't even have QA testers, or their QA testers are too lazy to do anything outside of checking to see if the bonuses work. Whoever they have working on QA, Microsoft needs to clean house and install testers who are actually efficient.

Or they have a good, hard working QA team that's assigned to validating crown store items 99% of the time, who knows. Given how predictable these issues (and the way they are handled) get, my guess would be it's more of a management thing...
        • Number_51
          Number_51
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          Brings up a question I've had for a while... if I make a set item for say 50 transmutes, then later fill up the sticker book to bring the price down to 25, then deconstruct that item, how many transmutes do I get back? I suspect reconstructed items don't track how many transmutes were used and I would get back 25, for a loss of 25.

If that's the case this was the only fix. Anyone who created an item before the event and deconstructed it during the event would lose transmutes. And, reducing prices of all items to 25, whether the sticker book is full or not, results in an exploit of gained transmutes when the event is finished.
          Edited by Number_51 on February 15, 2024 7:33PM
        • virtus753
          virtus753
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭✭
          Number_51 wrote: »
          Brings up a question I've had for a while... if I make a set item for say 50 transmutes, then later fill up the sticker book to bring the price down to 25, then deconstruct that item, how many transmutes do I get back?

I suspect reconstructed items don't track how many transmutes were used and I would get back 25, for a loss of 25. If that's the case this was the only fix. Anyone who created an item before the event and deconstructed it during the event would lose transmutes.

Deconning a reconstructed item (where possible) always yields a flat 25 crystals, regardless of how many were used to reconstruct the item.
        • WhiteCoatSyndrome
          WhiteCoatSyndrome
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭✭
          gvgisdi wrote: »
          Do you really think you were exposing something they overlooked? Do you really think they were that short sighted?

Yes.

With all due respect to the people at ZOS, yes.

This sort of thing is why I participate in PTS testing and keep both /bug and /feedback commands at the ready on Live too. I enjoy this game but good QA is not its strong point.
          #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
          PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
          A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
        • Number_51
          Number_51
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          virtus753 wrote: »
          Number_51 wrote: »
          Brings up a question I've had for a while... if I make a set item for say 50 transmutes, then later fill up the sticker book to bring the price down to 25, then deconstruct that item, how many transmutes do I get back?

I suspect reconstructed items don't track how many transmutes were used and I would get back 25, for a loss of 25. If that's the case this was the only fix. Anyone who created an item before the event and deconstructed it during the event would lose transmutes.

Deconning a reconstructed item (where possible) always yields a flat 25 crystals, regardless of how many were used to reconstruct the item.

Thanks. In that case reducing all items to 25 during the event does seem like a better fix.
        • Estin
          Estin
          ✭✭✭✭
          loosej wrote: »
          sh4d0wh4z3 wrote: »
          I think this just proves they don't even have QA testers, or their QA testers are too lazy to do anything outside of checking to see if the bonuses work. Whoever they have working on QA, Microsoft needs to clean house and install testers who are actually efficient.

Or they have a good, hard working QA team that's assigned to validating crown store items 99% of the time, who knows. Given how predictable these issues (and the way they are handled) get, my guess would be it's more of a management thing...

Gloambound and Iceshard conflicting with Grim Focus Perma Glow would like a word with you.
        • RandomKodiak
          RandomKodiak
          ✭✭✭✭
          @ZOS_Kevin is there going to be a compensation or am I just out of luck on the 90 transmutes I Just wasted trying to get sets for all my DPS?
        • RandomKodiak
          RandomKodiak
          ✭✭✭✭
          @ZOS_Kevin Also the website still has this listed as part of the event so many are going to think they can make stuff and be out mats. Needs fix asap
        • Ilsabet
          Ilsabet
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭
          pklemming wrote: »
          They need to do something. Actually logged on to make sets today when I was told they were half price to make. OFC, they managed to screw it up somehow, then, instead of fixing it, turned it off completely.

Turning it off was the fix.

It's not a good fix. The most promising aspect of the event was the ability to reconstruct gear for %50 off the transmute cost. Now this has been removed, and no one knows when this event might occur again. What should happen is a fix to the code that causes the deconstruction exploit to occur, and an extension to the event allowing players to reconstruct gear for %50 off (but of course, with no ability to get double back on deconstruction)

It's not really a bug in the code, though. It's a simple numbers game. ZOS got the idea to reduce the cost of reconstruction, which was nice, but they didn't do the math to realize that the discount could push the price of reconning lower than the standard return from deconning reconned pieces. Everything was working as intended code-wise, but this resulted in a side hustle (generating free transmutes) that they obviously did not intend to be a perk of the event.

You can't just "fix deconstruction" because deconstruction is working the way it's supposed to. It's not "giving double back," it's giving 25 transmutes back like it always has. If you reduce that amount, you screw over everyone who's expecting to get the standard amount. If you say it's only going to be temporary, you create a limitation that becomes meaningless once the event ends.

I will fully agree that the situation sucks for everyone who wanted to recon gear to use and won't get to take advantage of the discount. I will also agree that this was a very obvious issue that should have been spotted and addressed before the event went live. But "fixing the issue" isn't as simple as it seems on the surface, and it's not surprising that ZOS took the quickest and easiest-for-them route to closing the door they had inadvertently opened. Now it's just a matter of seeing if they'll take the time to offer some kind of alternative perk or tweak the discount in a way that benefits the players without enabling unwanted side hustles.

For the record, I think that keeping the 50% discount but setting a cost floor of 25 transmutes would be a reasonable compromise, but that still wouldn't provide a discount for people who already have a full stickerbook for the sets they want to recon, so either way I'm not sure if it's possible to come up with a solution that'll please everyone.
          Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
          Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
          My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
          Ilsabet's Headcanon
          The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
          PC NA
        • Aerin
          Aerin
          ✭✭✭
          @ZOS_Kevin is there going to be a compensation or am I just out of luck on the 90 transmutes I Just wasted trying to get sets for all my DPS?

How did you end up wasting 90 transmutes? Did you inadvertently build something you didn't actually need, or were you attempting to exploit a bug that the development team has since addressed?
        • RandomKodiak
          RandomKodiak
          ✭✭✭✭
          I Have 12 dps and figured it would be a good time with 50% off to make extra Perfected Rele Daggers as to not have to swap gear out. On the third dagger I realized that I was running out of transmutes fast so came to the forums to see why. Not everyone tries to exploit and yes the daggers are still good to use but would have waited to make them if it was not 50% off.