Maintenance for the week of March 4:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 4
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 4, 8:00AM EST (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 5:00 UTC (12:00AM EST) - 17:00 UTC (12:00PM EST)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EST (23:00 UTC)

Companions should be more useful by having jobs... SUCH AS DOING OUR CRAFTING SURVEYS!

Vaughndaunted
Vaughndaunted
✭✭✭
How many surveys have you stored in your bank or your chests at your house? Me... I have up to 90 surveys in one location through all the surveys we could get. Alchemy and Enchanting surveys never get done. It's incredibly hard to play the game and do all the tasks. If we could delegate some of the work amongst houseguests or our companions... that would make them more meaningful to us.

Technically we pay so much money for crowns. We don't need our houseguests to just be furniture... We also don't need companions to do nothing but exist. I've talked to many friends, they feel they should at least go farming for us. Allow us to give them many surveys. Maybe this can be a timed task like researching traits. We can interact with them at our houses and give them missions/ small tasks for a small fee or some type of way. Maybe their pay for living at our homes could be they earn their keep by doing these tasks.

What's your thoughts? Should ZOS really consider giving companions more functionality through housing or their own personal menu?

PS4/PS5 NA
Master Crafter
End Gamer
9+ years playing ESO
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really would feel guilty enslaving Sharp to do my surveys after what he's already been through.

Now a hireling that maybe took a cut of the mats I'd be fine with.
    Edited by AScarlato on February 6, 2024 9:47PM
  • derkaiserliche
    derkaiserliche
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that surveys drop from "easy" crafting dailys, that are already very rewarding and fast to handle with mods.

Some people already use like 16 characters to do the daily crafting quests and then they would get even more out of them by just spending 2 minutes on each character.
  • Vaughndaunted
    Vaughndaunted
    ✭✭✭
    I hear y'all. I wish this game was more methodical about certain things. Our companions can do surveys for us. I don't see any issues with it.
    PS4/PS5 NA
    Master Crafter
    End Gamer
    9+ years playing ESO
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our companions have their own lives when not adventuring with us. I don’t think more utility would be given to either surveys or companions without some cost / taking something away. If you have too many surveys, do them, destroy them, do fewer writs — you’ve many options.
  • ajkb78
    ajkb78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea. Sending companions on basic job quests has been made to work well in other games. It would certainly make companions feel more useful, because they're not especially useful in combat yet. (Zos: *please* can you teach them basic mechanics, like "stand where indicated and don't move" (even Stibbons can be told to do that), or "stay in the moving safe zone"...)

To answer derkaiserliche's point, this could be made into a real blessing for players who only have a little time each day to play the game, or can only play every few days, and without significantly aiding players with 20 maxed crafters: make it take a substantial amount of real world time for a companion to go and harvest a survey report. Say 6 hours per report. You can give them a stack of 10, but then your companion will be unavailable for 60 hours. (Figures made up on the spur of the moment, adjust to taste etc.) I'd be more than happy to send Bastian away choppng wood for a few days (he's a lumberjack and he's okay!) and get a big pile of ruby ash back at the end.
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our companions have their own lives when not adventuring with us. I don’t think more utility would be given to either surveys or companions without some cost / taking something away. If you have too many surveys, do them, destroy them, do fewer writs — you’ve many options.

Yes I personally as someone who likes the companions would find it distasteful and not really in line with their characters to have them do menial tasks for us like surveys.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many surveys have you stored in your bank or your chests at your house? Me... I have up to 90 surveys in one location through all the surveys we could get. Alchemy and Enchanting surveys never get done. It's incredibly hard to play the game and do all the tasks. If we could delegate some of the work amongst houseguests or our companions... that would make them more meaningful to us.

yqxz3g5n9e1e.jpg

Have you considered NOT letting 90+ surveys build up? Just go do them yourself as you get them and this isn't an issue! This is an issue YOU created for yourself. I don't think the vast majority of players want this game to become one of those terrible, eastern MMOs that have "auto" features and the game plays itself. I rate this suggestion a "hold space bar"/10
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I want from my companions is for them to stay close enough to me they don't reset world bosses by doing gymnastics half way across the zone.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miri is so desperate for approval, she would definitely do it. It's kind of out of place that we can't ask.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks, it's a player-made issue and not one that needs to be addressed by ZOS through yet another shortcut measure that further trivialises the game.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Miri is so desperate for approval, she would definitely do it. It's kind of out of place that we can't ask.
    No, she'd be way too busy eating ('What do you say we try some of the local fare? I'm famished') and drinking ('I can't wait to take a load off at the inn'). I swear she just thinks about her stomach all the time. :)
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AScarlato wrote: »
    Really would feel guilty enslaving to do my surveys Sharp after what he's already been through.

Now a hireling that maybe took a cut of the mats I'd be fine with.
    Not seeing Ember complaining about doing enchanting surveys however.
    But its an danger she sells the kuta for moonsugar and claiming bad rng 😸
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Billium813 wrote: »

[snipped the wonderful picture]

Have you considered NOT letting 90+ surveys build up? Just go do them yourself as you get them and this isn't an issue! This is an issue YOU created for yourself. I don't think the vast majority of players want this game to become one of those terrible, eastern MMOs that have "auto" features and the game plays itself. I rate this suggestion a "hold space bar"/10

^Absolutely this (nice picture btw).

I think some people simply have to re-learn how to properly enjoy a video game. All the talk about (of course self-made) "tasks" and the obvious urge to "complete them all besides not having fun doing so" is rather concerning and a clear indicator for addiction.

This behaviour shouldn't be supported by zos under any circumstances.
    Edited by Braffin on January 30, 2024 10:04AM
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea - Molybdenum (Breton style) isn't as expensive as Dragon Bone (Fang Lair style), or Blaze-Veined Prism (Annihilarch's Chosen Style), right?

I mean, how would an NPC know which style material to use?

In all seriousness, one can go to Vvardenfel or Leyawiin and be done with this in a matter of 2 minutes.
    Tandor wrote: »
    No thanks, it's a player-made issue and not one that needs to be addressed by ZOS through yet another shortcut measure that further trivialises the game.
    Spot on.

QoL is one thing, and ZOS has addresed this - sticker book, curated items, etc. Now stackable siege gear, unified repair kits - I had to collect my jaw, as I was in awe when Gina said it.

[snip]
    [edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 30, 2024 5:45PM
    My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:
    >>weapons: Polearms, Unarmed, Crossbow

>>Sorc's Twilight - perched animation

>>a skill line - a guild having this - to enable us to increase % gold gain for donating Ornate gear (another gold sink in order to gain more pennies - but over time it would pay off)

II.Overland Mechanics
    >>tree climing in Grahtwood / Malabal Tor / Greenshade, etc. (with tall trees)

>>rock climbing in Glenumbra / Rivenspire / Stonefalls, etc. (with tall peaks)

>>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development

III.Replayable content in overland
    >>pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince, something like Oblivion rifts in Blackwood / the Deadlands

IV.Geography
    >>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

V.Other
    (the ideas are also inspired by other Forum Users' posts)
    >>pet battles! We collect SO MANY pets, and yet there are just a cosmetic. What a HUGE potential lies within those tiny beats!

>>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.

>>possibility to dye barding

>>display the dialogue options so that we can see which answer the NPC is reacting to

>>a way to make Overland more challenging - for those who want
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »
    I think some people simply have to re-learn how to properly enjoy a video game. All the talk about (of course self-made) "tasks" and the obvious urge to "complete them all besides not having fun doing so" is rather concerning and a clear indicator for addiction.
    This behaviour shouldn't be supported by zos under any circumstances.

With gold and crafting materials, I really don't understand why some people are afraid they could miss something - if one skips crafting a few days, so what?! You'll get less gold for a few days, but does it really matter? And if you'd trash one crafting survey it's not as you couldn't just gather those mats elsewhere on another day.

I see how a certain "pressure" is purposely created when it comes to other things, though. Yes, also by ZOS - and not only by ZOS, it's something not uncommon with this type of game, no matter who published it. One is "having to" farm new sets and mythics to be able to keep pace (in PvE, it doesn't matter much, so far, but I guess in PvP it's a different situation?), which also includes activities some people dislike, but they "have to" do them to get the leads.

Another one is time-limited offers you need a special currency for (during events, or also leads sold by the merchant in the Archive that change every week). Want that thing? You need special currency for it. And you need the currency before the offer expires. Of couse this time limitation is created deliberately and with background thoughts - otherwise they could just make these things available all year round.

Of course, no one is truly forced to do something they dislike in this game. So you won't get that one mythic item if leads are hidden behind something you dislike. So you don't get that lorebook furnishing available that week at the Archive if you don't have enough currency left to buy it in time. It's not the end of the world. But I see how these mechanisms make people do things in ESO they actually don't find much fun because they are required for some item they want, and get frustrated over it.

One solution against that would be to make these things obtainable on a different way, maybe make these items sellable - then they'd probably cost a lot at guild traders, but if you really want them you could buy them anytime for gold. But ZOS most probably won't do that. As I said: It's a deliberate design decision to make things time-limited offers. (Also in the crown store, btw, but that's a different topic).
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many surveys have you stored in your bank or your chests at your house?

None. I do my surveys right after I finish my daily writs every day and don't let them sit and pile up.

Should ZOS really consider giving companions more functionality through housing or their own personal menu?

No. The companions are here to adventure along side us, not to become our servants.
    PCNA
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    you send em out for 1 survey ea or a zone of surveys. 1 survey is like 30 min, maybe? Then you either interact to trade with them or they send you the mats in a mail if you're offline. It just feels a liiiiiiittle too close to botting to me. Dunno if ZOS would ever go for that.
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • Elyu
    Elyu
    ✭✭✭
    Whether it's companions or a new 'hireling' npc something does need to change.

Many people in this thread seem to think it's a "you" problem - but for many, including the OP and myself, having to port around gathering surveys is HOMEWORK, and gets in the way of playing the game.
    And we have to do it, because we don't have the gold to buy all the mats, or (like myself) you want to be self-sufficient for crafting materials.

So, some suggestions:

Something like hirelings to collect surveys
    Let stacked surveys drop all the mats at once when you harvest (rather than collect one, ride away, ride back collect 2nd etc)
    Move survey locations to be closer to wayshrines (for the ones that are in some corner of the map)
    Give survey nodes a chance to drop rare crafting resources (DLC style materials, rare alchemy ingredients e.g. dragons blood)
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elyu wrote: »
    Many people in this thread seem to think it's a "you" problem - but for many, including the OP and myself, having to port around gathering surveys is HOMEWORK, and gets in the way of playing the game.

Surveys are a reward for doing writs. These surveys give the player a good amount of mats that it would take a lot longer to go out and farm every day. It takes little time to do the few surveys that we receive each day as opposed to letting them build up until it takes hours to clear them all.

Surveys also are not required so if a player really dislikes them they can just delete them.
    PCNA
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mh, when we are at it our companions should do all the other work for us, like clearing dungeons, doing all zone dalies in all zones, farming sets in vet trials etc.
    Meanwhile they also should collect ressources tidy up our inventory, decorate our houses and play Tales of Tribute for us.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many surveys have you stored in your bank or your chests at your house?

One of each in the bank - in case I'm out of the one for a daily endeavor. None at all in chests in houses. My mains hang onto all the surveys and do them when I want something easy and quick to do before getting out of game.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Octarinewolf
    Octarinewolf
    ✭✭

Yes I personally as someone who likes the companions would find it distasteful and not really in line with their characters to have them do menial tasks for us like surveys.

Yeah, that should be our hirelings' job. Since that's what we give them skill points for.

Or let us do multiple surveys at a given location in one go rather than having to do the ride in circles or log in and log out dance to make them respawn.
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be up for a companion with a Harvesting Skill line, who would take 24hrs to harvest a survey, and then as you put more skill points into it, maybe reduce to 18hrs, then 12hrs.

There would be separate skill lines for each type of material, so you'd have to invest your points wisely, like a GMC.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Agreed, they're our companions, not Lydias. :)
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I got 13Ksurveys on a char... so any and all help is appreciated!
  • Vaughndaunted
    Vaughndaunted
    ✭✭✭

And we have to do it, because we don't have the gold to buy all the mats, or (like myself) you want to be self-sufficient for crafting materials.

So, some suggestions:

Let stacked surveys drop all the mats at once when you harvest (rather than collect one, ride away, ride back collect 2nd etc)
    Move survey locations to be closer to wayshrines (for the ones that are in some corner of the map)
    Give survey nodes a chance to drop rare crafting resources (DLC style materials, rare alchemy ingredients e.g. dragons blood)

Thanks for your support with this. I’ve read through many of the comments. There has to be time to participate in playing the game. I’m an end game PVE trials and dungeon player. I go to Cyrodiil, I do battle grounds, daily randoms on all 20 max level gold geared toons, and I craft. I cannot play this game to farm surveys everyday. That’s completely time consuming.

When you do writs on 20. Characters… your going to do all the surveys you get from them everyday??? Absolutely not. In my opinion, it’s better to schedule doing surveys based on your inventory needs in order to do daily crafting writs which in itself is a major job. I craft on all 20 toons and have it down to a science. I craft 9 days worth of equipment and enchantment writs. I do this once a week. I make 100 consumable writs in advanced to make it easier to get all tasks done on 20 toons. This takes approximately 3 hours to do weekly. Then there’s logging in daily before 5a est in order to do collect the daily writ mission for one day… and them doing them after 5a est so that I could collect the next one promptly after to mitigate the time spent doing writs and playing the game.

Master Crafters like myself deserve an apprentice to take the load off our back. So if ZOS won’t provide an apprentice, maybe our companions can be one to us to us with the daily monotony of crafting. It’s great that we are rewarded… but this is an issue for Master Crafters even though most people may not see it that way. I want more time to enjoy ESO. I’m only asking for support.
    PS4/PS5 NA
    Master Crafter
    End Gamer
    9+ years playing ESO
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, our companions are just that: companions and not our slaves (aside from that slimy Argonian of course). I'm all for for more companion functionality, but having them do our work for us is not the way.

If you don't want to do surveys, then destroy them. That's what what I do as well.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Vaughndaunted
      Vaughndaunted
      ✭✭✭
      Kendaric wrote: »
      No, our companions are just that: companions and not our slaves (aside from that slimy Argonian of course). I'm all for for more companion functionality, but having them do our work for us is not the way.

If you don't want to do surveys, then destroy them. That's what what I do as well.

You break my heart sir. Companions need to be smarter. We paid for it.
      PS4/PS5 NA
      Master Crafter
      End Gamer
      9+ years playing ESO
    • Billium813
      Billium813
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Tandor wrote: »

So, some suggestions:

I cannot play this game to farm surveys everyday. That’s completely time consuming.

I craft on all 20 toons and have it down to a science. I craft 9 days worth of equipment and enchantment writs. I do this once a week. I make 100 consumable writs in advanced to make it easier to get all tasks done on 20 toons. This takes approximately 3 hours to do weekly. Then there’s logging in daily before 5a est in order to do collect the daily writ mission for one day… and them doing them after 5a est so that I could collect the next one promptly after to mitigate the time spent doing writs and playing the game.

Wow, you really have this down to a science, huh?

Why do you feel the need to have 20 toons that you log into every day and submit writs for?

I know you aren't the only person that does this. I understand there is some money and mats to be made doing this, but surely there are better ways. I have 3 toons. I make pots and food daily and never want for gold. I sell crafted items and motif pages in guild traders.

> I have 20 toons
      > I have too many Survey rewards from doing daily writs for those 20 toons
      > ZOS needs to make it easier to complete Surveys
      > Have Companions do Surveys for me

I just think that you have the incorrect solution to the issue because you haven't figured out the real issue.

The real issue is that ESO lets players submit 20 characters worth of writs daily and bury themselves in this obsessive compulsive behavior. I get it that players are doing this because they need gold and they need mats. But players wouldn't feel the need to do this if the game gave them sufficient gold and mats in other aspects of the game! We have to diagnose the correct issue in order to correctly fix the problem.
    • SilverBride
      SilverBride
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Companions need to be smarter. We paid for it.

How did we pay for our Companions?
      PCNA