Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Merge the servers to stop the games player population dying

MISTFORMBZZZ
MISTFORMBZZZ
✭✭✭
The population on consoles are drastical low.

You cant find many trials, you cant find many group activities, you go in a zone and with luck there are 2-3 people somehow, you have less people online in the trading guilds and less people at the hot spots in the game.

Also in pvp the population also decreased a lot & noticeable.
At prime time during the week its max 2 bars each, we used to have a queue 2 years ago and now its rare we have 3 bars each 😂

You cant stop people from playing other games but now many people are stopping to play cuz there is not enough activity in this game anymore.

If you have to wait hours for a group finder, cant do the trial you want or dont find action in pvp, whats the point in playing this mmo?

My suggestion :

Merge the PS EU and PS NA server or merge the PS EU and XBox EU and the PS NA and Xbox NA server to avoid the game dying.

Yes the trading markets would probs crash but lets be honest wouldnt that be exciting in some way? It would be a bigger player base and there would be life in the game, it would be a healthy change overall!

I get cross play with PC might makes no sense cuz of their loads of addons etc but betwen consoles it should be absolutely a thing.

Zos gave us the group finder but lets be honest it doesnt really help.

The benefits of crossplay overhelm overall and zos should make this technical possible, better soon then later
  • Dekrypted
    Dekrypted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my history with other mmos, a server merge can be a red flag indicating the overall health of a game when its needed.

Do I think it's something to be seriously considered? Honestly yeah. Game feels empty. PvP zones are just empty. Queue times are abysmal. Players don't stick around for a myriad of reasons, but the state of things remain the same.
    Ragnork wrote: »
    Ok.
    On PC you can choose server to play on.
    I presume the same for consoles.
    If merged then they can not loose characters and any duplicate items need to be compensated for.
    The best of both server achievements need to be retained.
    Or should we loose what we have paid for in both real world money and invested time?
    I am not saying do not merge, just asking how to manage the overlaps.

Tbh most server merges are messy to some degree. Not everyone will be happy. Things like a craft bag are easily merged into one bag. Achievements can be marked for the original server they were done on with a line for EU, NA, and then going forward a 3rd mark for the new merged server. Im doubtful zenimax would do any kind of real reimbursement, but maybe they can work out a reasonable exchange for the loss given duplicate houses, etc.

The ingame economy would take a hit. It's like swallowing a bitter pill if it means the illness gets treated.

Even if a server merge isn't the option, Zenimax has to get reconnected with their customers and stop the bleeding of players. It's just too apparent to ignore.
    PC NA
    March 2014 - December 2023
    No longer active

Templar Main
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dekrypted wrote: »
    In my history with other mmos, a server merge can be a red flag indicating the overall health of a game when its needed.

ZOS can spin it in a positive manner if they merge within the same geography. They can simply say they are responding to requests for players to be able to play with each other across platforms.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Dekrypted
    Dekrypted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

ZOS can spin it in a positive manner if they merge within the same geography. They can simply say they are responding to requests for players to be able to play with each other across platforms.

Spin at the end of the day is just Spin. The people who are in touch more with the game will know what's really happening. We all know somebody's gotta save face.
    Edited by Dekrypted on December 3, 2023 6:27PM
    PC NA
    No longer active

Templar Main
  • MISTFORMBZZZ
    MISTFORMBZZZ
    ✭✭✭
    I am not saying the game is dead. But you all cant denie there is less and less people online. And no, the group finder doesnt always help. And pvp is a completly different topic, there you see it most thought.

Its good how you defend your favorite game & and so am i , this is why i wish for zos to save it.

Crossplay would be the way.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Spin at the end of the day is just Spin. The people who are in touch more with the game will.knpw what's really happening. We all know somebody's gotta save face.

Yes, but as soon as they spin it, the official reason is the official reason and everything else is a conspiracy theory. Conspiracy theories have a nasty habit of being dismissed, even if they are accurate. Take a step back and look around. You might see other companies spinning things, and succeeding at it.

Spinning a server merge for the purpose of allowing console players and PC players to join up sounds like a cool feature, and a much requested feature. If ZOS says that is why they are doing it, anyone who rolls out and says "declining population" will be dismissed.

• MISTFORMBZZZ
    MISTFORMBZZZ
    ✭✭✭
    PS NA is busy, PS EU and xbox server NA and EU are not, specially not in comparsion with PS NA.
  • Dekrypted
    Dekrypted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Spin at the end of the day is just Spin. The people who are in touch more with the game will.knpw what's really happening. We all know somebody's gotta save face.

Yes, but as soon as they spin it, the official reason is the official reason and everything else is a conspiracy theory. Conspiracy theories have a nasty habit of being dismissed, even if they are accurate. Take a step back and look around. You might see other companies spinning things, and succeeding at it.

Spinning a server merge for the purpose of allowing console players and PC players to join up sounds like a cool feature, and a much requested feature. If ZOS says that is why they are doing it, anyone who rolls out and says "declining population" will be dismissed.

Like I said, spin is spin at the end of the day. (without getting off topic because I'm not interested in derailing), plenty of "conspiracy" theories have been proven to be correct in the past. The official narrative will always be the official narrative. I've seen Zenimax say they fixed a bug, but really all they did was make the condition to activate it extremely difficult. Did they actually fix it or just move it somewhere where you cant see it?

tbh cross platform gameplay would be great, but it's already been addressed,
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Nothing to report at this time. We have sent along feedback listed in this thread, both for and against crossplay, to our teams. We want to make sure we are providing the player perspective for the teams consideration.

and there's no news to report at this time. If we follow Zenimax's record on communication based on suggestions, we will be told that we've had our feedback submitted, and then they will do whatever they want, as they always do. Feedback may be considered, but may is the key word.

Quoting myself for consistency sake and a return to my original point within this thread.
    Do I think it's something to be seriously considered? Honestly yeah. Game feels empty. PvP zones are just empty. Queue times are abysmal. Players don't stick around for a myriad of reasons, but the state of things remain the same.

PC NA
    No longer active

Templar Main
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS NA is busy, PS EU and xbox server NA and EU are not, specially not in comparsion with PS NA.

I would say PSeu is in a good state maybe not as much as PSna but I certainly dont think its low populated.

But thats what I think because we dont have player count so only Zos really know if any server is dying.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that Microsoft own ZOS, they can easily reconsider allowing cross-play between PC and XBox. Sure, there are lots of issues, both technical and probably legal, and maybe they don't want to, but nothing in this space is insurmountable. The main barrier to XBox+PC seems to be that they need to want to do it. If that barrier is breached, it will be done.

I hope they do find a way to do crossplay for XBox and PC. Not because of population issues, but for crossplay reasons.

That said... we, the players, will be the last to know when anything happens on this front, and we will probably find out via leaks before any official announcements.

P.S. Playstation is an entirely different can of worms and may be a huge contributor to the "don't want to do it" thinking.
  • Dekrypted
    Dekrypted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that Microsoft own ZOS, they can easily reconsider allowing cross-play between PC and XBox. Sure, there are lots of issues, both technical and probably legal, and maybe they don't want to, but nothing in this space is insurmountable. The main barrier to XBox+PC seems to be that they need to want to do it. If that barrier is breached, it will be done.

I hope they do find a way to do crossplay for XBox and PC. Not because of population issues, but for crossplay reasons.

That said... we, the players, will be the last to know when anything happens on this front, and we will probably find out via leaks before any official announcements.

P.S. Playstation is an entirely different can of worms and may be a huge contributor to the "don't want to do it" thinking.

The quoted message is from September.. of this year.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7964450/#Comment_7964450

Nothing to report as of right now.
    PC NA
    No longer active

Templar Main
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Merging xbox servers with PC servers? Yeah that might upset some playstation players for sure and I think they have the right to be upset if that happend.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zos gave us the group finder but lets be honest it doesnt really help.

I have no problems finding dungeon and raid groups and do not bother with the systems to help a group. I have two guilds that are more than sufficient for meeting my needs. Heck, I had to cut back on how many times I raid a week because it got out of hand.

There does not seem to be a problem with the population.

• Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The same handful of folks keep this whole "The game is dying drumbeat" lately....my guild keep's growing, the towns are full and the delves are never barren...

But we need to merge servers because the game is dying...really we do...

Veteran player retention is higher on PC than it is on console. Saying you see a bunch of people on one platform/region doesn't speak to the game as a whole.
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be happy if the servers were merged if it means I can access my PC accounts again. My laptop hard drive is too small. If they merge I can access them through my Xbox. Then I can get to my 6 million gold sat in my PC server's ESO bank.

I don't have a problem with the population on Xbox at the moment. I'm a bit of a loner though.

Sometimes on PC there were different instances of the same area. Several guild members were at the same Gryphon boss in Summerset but we couldn't see each other. When we logged out and back in we met up. I don't know if this happens on consoles.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XSTRONG wrote: »

Merging xbox servers with PC servers? Yeah that might upset some playstation players for sure and I think they have the right to be upset if that happend.

It would also upset this pc player to the point of dropping the game (and three annual subs).

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mmo population seems to think eso is in good shape and is even growing.
    https://mmo-population.com/r/elderscrollsonline
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Castagere wrote: »
    OsUfi wrote: »
    People who think ESO is a dead/near death game, don't seem to know what a dead/near death game is.

Yeah, this post is just too strange. I run into players all over the place in every zone. The OP needs to tell us where he is getting this from [snip]

I'm guessing xboz eu, I play that server and it's definitely a really low pop, I barley see anyone in main cities other than the usual duelers, things take a while to sale in traders if at all, Group finders take time, pvp barley gets 2 bars even in 'prime time', IC is dead, battle ground ques are 10-20 min wait..
    It's definitely not what it was a few years ago

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 4, 2023 6:41PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The same handful of folks keep this whole "The game is dying drumbeat" lately....my guild keep's growing, the towns are full and the delves are never barren...

But we need to merge servers because the game is dying...really we do...

Time was when the game was dead on release because of ArchAge, Wildstar and every other shiny new game that turned out to be the one in trouble.

Apparently, ESO has been in maintenance mode throughout its history of new chapters and DLC releases, and now it's dying according to those who wish to switch from console to PC without having to start over. That's mainly what this is all about.

Meanwhile, the position remains that ZOS don't have a system that enables occupied databases to be merged or transferred, unlike when PC players were offered transfers to empty databases on the console launches, and they've maintained their position that they don't intend to develop such a system because it would be fraught with risks to the existing server databases. Even the PTS can only have the EU and NA databases copied across separately.