The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cyrodiil Population Cap Testing

ZOS_BrianWheeler
ZOS_BrianWheeler
PvP & Combat Lead
Heyo All!

Next week, we will be running some tests in Cyrodiil where we’ll be periodically adjusting the population caps. The first realm being tested is PC EU on Wednesday, December 6. During this time, we will increase population caps and monitor throughout the day through prime-time hours; if all goes well, we will do the same on PC NA later in the week. Edit: PC NA is also online today for the Population Cap Test.

We encourage everyone willing to fight for their Alliance to hop into their respective Campaigns because throughout the testing period until December 12, everyone in Cyrodiil will earn Double AP (On PC, Xbox, and PlayStation)!

Thanks in advance for joining this population test for Cyrodiil and enjoy the double AP while the test is active. See you on the field!

Edit: We made a correction to this post on December 8. The Cyrodiil population cap testing is happening only on the PC servers. The double AP, on the other hand, is turned on for all servers (PC, Xbox, PlayStation) through December 12.
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on December 21, 2023 3:34PM
Wheeler
ESO PVP Lead & Combat Lead
Staff Post
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to it, thanks @ZOS_BrianWheeler!
    Options
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent. PVP updates in 24 then :#:p
    Edited by Starlight_Knight on December 1, 2023 7:35PM
    Options
  • Xandreia_
    Xandreia_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    will we be getting better performance with these tests?
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    exciting
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Exciting! I hope this goes well!
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
    Options
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes but can we get rid of No proc Ravenwatch already.
    Options
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're increasing population caps this is going to create an issue with Alliances not being balanced in numbers. With the lower Cyrodiil numbers we've had lately at least 1 or 2 of the Alliances are going to be majorly outnumbered.
    Options
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is exciting! I love a surprise pvp event
    Options
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried this campaign the other week and was surprised at how better it felt, fights are a lot more competitive once you take cheese out the equation.
    Options
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Heyo All!

Next week, we will be running some tests in Cyrodiil where we’ll be periodically adjusting the population caps. The first realm being tested is PC EU on Wednesday, December 6. During this time, we will increase population caps and monitor throughout the day through prime-time hours; if all goes well, we will do the same on PC NA and consoles later in the week.

We encourage everyone willing to fight for their Alliance to hop into their respective Campaigns because throughout the testing period until December 12, everyone in Cyrodiil will earn Double AP!

Thanks in advance for joining this population test for Cyrodiil and enjoy the double AP while the test is active. See you on the field!

@ZOS_BrianWheeler Can we expect any feedback of results from this population test? and/or update on the rewrite which is holding up any other pvp development for the past 4 years?
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
    Options
  • Sythen88411
    Sythen88411
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does this count for IC?
    Options
  • fripplethorn
    fripplethorn
    ✭✭✭
    While I appreciate even a glance at PvP from the devs these days, the population is the least of the issues with the state of PvP. First, address heal-over-time stacking. Put an end to the exploit of stacking 15+ HoTs and then just running around stomping people who actually play the game. This is easily done by capping the number of active HoTs a player can have... preferably at 2. Second, put an end to the silly "in combat" nonsense. If you're not actively in combat, you shouldn't be "in combat".

Start there, and you'll make a huge percentage of your player base actually turn population into a thing...
    Options
  • AvidNecro
    AvidNecro
    ✭✭
    Buff Necromancer 💪
    Necromancer Main
    Options
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried this campaign the other week and was surprised at how better it felt, fights are a lot more competitive once you take cheese out the equation.

I often found that fights became stale, long & boring.
    Options
  • Beaverton
    Beaverton
    ✭✭✭

I often found that fights became stale, long & boring.

That is natural when you've been married for awhile.
    Chook (fill in the blank) or Chookana (likewise): I learn more by dying so teach me some more!
    Options
  • doabhi
    doabhi
    ✭✭✭
    Heyo All!

Next week, we will be running some tests in Cyrodiil where we’ll be periodically adjusting the population caps. The first realm being tested is PC EU on Wednesday, December 6. During this time, we will increase population caps and monitor throughout the day through prime-time hours; if all goes well, we will do the same on PC NA and consoles later in the week.

We encourage everyone willing to fight for their Alliance to hop into their respective Campaigns because throughout the testing period until December 12, everyone in Cyrodiil will earn Double AP!

Hoping this leads to some good balance on performance server side.
    On a side note though, there are a few glaring issues that really need addressing in Cyrodiil, I can list a few that are real issues and not just me complaining..
    • Investigate/Fix stuck negative status effects - Status effects like burning, Bleed and poisoned have a bad habit of sticking to your character even after death, any addon that displays status effects (Buffs/Debuffs) will often show them on the bar and they do not clear until you exit the zone and re-enter (Visiting cheese monger) it's been a problem for a while and may be related to the same issue that caused the negate bug recently, but that's speculation on my part as it pre-dates this.
    • Properly fix 'In-combat' issues - This ones old, but it's extremely annoying when the game insists you are in combat when you very obviously aren't. it can last up to half an hour or more in extreme cases and affects your ability to mount and any other mechanics that pivot on your current combat status (Sprint speed, mount stamina etc)
    • Guard Chains - The Chain mechanic on NPC guards is really broken, you can often get chained from across a courtyard, sometimes even through buildings and the chain speed is super slow, leaving you unable to break free and stunned anywhere up to 10 seconds while being dragged through oils, DOTs, Negates etc. Very annoying.
    • Transitus (Still) puts you under the floor of the keep/outpost sometimes, especially prevalent when a lot of people port to the same location at the same time (E.G. Large groups) leaving you stuck there. Since /stuck only works once per hour, the only way to really escape it is to enter a different campaign or Imperial City and back, this isn't ideal especially during prime time when there's a queue.
    Options
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is awesome, I'll definitely be there. Absolutely delightful news!
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will join, I say performance is Cyrodil has been good for quite some time now even in huge fights.
    Now I will say this will show the client in the room, people complaining about server performance is previous generation consoles and potato pc's. And yes switching from an 980ti to an 3070ti helped a lot
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seems like it's coming at an odd time - U40 has undeniably introduced a plethora of combat/performance related bugs/problems into the game that are especially prevalent in cryodiil. I urge you to take a glance at @SkaraMinoc 's thread regarding abilities not activating from the queue, or at my thread regarding some other issues that myself and others have been experiencing.

One example is that there is some sort of "movement hitching" problem where when you cast an ability, your character will occasionally become rooted in place. I have a clip of this over in my aforementioned thread.

It's nice to see even a mention of cyrodiil, but given that the performance is *not* good right now, and there is a variety if new combat problems that were just introduced - I am unsure how increasing the population caps again has made it to the top of the studio's list of priorities regarding PVP.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
    Options
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is excatly the goal of this test? Server poerformance is just getting worse since U40 release and last patch from this week just made things worse.
    Edited by Galeriano on December 1, 2023 9:32PM
    Options
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heyo All!

Shaweet! Absolute chaos. I look forward to it.
    Options
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Appreciate the sign of life here; but I hope there are more fixes intended than just a pop cap increase
    Options
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good to me! Hope to see some gears moving with PvP in ESO, long-overdue indeed.
    Options
  • verminjerky
    verminjerky
    ✭✭✭
    [Generic positive feedback.]
    Options
  • demonology89
    demonology89
    ✭✭✭
    Excited for the double AP and increase in population caps. Thanks for the update!
    Options
  • Sidewaves89
    Sidewaves89
    ✭✭✭
    Would be great to know what the actual cap is and for how much do you want to increase it. You definitely reduced it when you upgraded the servers hardware and because of this it's difficult to say what actually contributed to the improvement in performance in Cyrodiil.
    Options
  • flubber77
    flubber77
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heyo All!

So, what is the cap today? and how much will it be raised? i miss the release cap, wherever you did go you ran into a zerg or 2, keeps was under siege all the time, but today we end up with small groups trying and fail cause the lack of players. maybe get back full group also?
    Still a grudge, only to see false what u want and nothing less.
    Options
  • KniteShayd
    KniteShayd
    ✭✭
    Second, put an end to the silly "in combat" nonsense. If you're not actively in combat, you shouldn't be in combat.

THIS! SO MUCH THIS!

I ran the Altadoon scroll from Farragut (Solo, & without enemy player interference), and was "in combat" until I was just past Alessia...

There seriously needs to be a distance/LoS (&/or time) cap to "in-combat status".
    Simply being grouped shouldn't put me in combat if I remain Idle, while my group mates are fighting, as well...

Also "In-Combat" status needs to sever upon death. We shouldn't remain "punished" with being in-combat upon reviving at a wayshrine or forward camp; as death is the highest form of penalty in PvP.
    I can understand if it's a player-sourced resurrection, mid battle; but also, not if you're getting resurrected when all fighting has ceased.
    Options
  • gronoxvx
    gronoxvx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ummmmm. Really?

Lets increase the pop cap while the servers cant even handle the current population?

Understand this is a "test", but seems like more smoke and mirrors compared to better performance in cyrodil. Especially since all the other testing that has happened over the years has led to nothing.
    Options
  • Stamicka
    Stamicka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we get any information on whether or not there will be any server side changes to help accommodate these increased population caps?
    Options