Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cyrodiil Population Cap Testing

• GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More servers for Cyrodiil and increase the pop cap please.

The tests they just did proved without a doubt that Cyrodiil players are much, much happier with higher populations and more, bigger fights.

More players = more income to pay for the additional server resources. Those players will also spend money on PvE related items. 2/3'rds of my friends list have quit the game entirely because of the super low pop caps in cyrodiil, and ZOS isn't getting any money out of them anymore. Higher pop caps will bring them back to the game and their money with them.

Why can't we please just get back the populations and group sizes we used to have 3 years ago? It seems like ZOS long term plan is to eliminate Cyrodiil all together. The pop caps only go down, they never go up. Why?

Exactly.

What's stopping ZOS from delivering the same performance levels and pop caps of 5 years ago when we have server hardware that has advanced very significantly in that time?

Edited by GooGa592 on January 1, 2024 4:13PM
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin

Can we expect to hear more about the pvp population tests in the scheduled announcement or should we just be looking out for updates on the forum here?
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes me sad that our fears that these "tests" would result in a further reduction of the pop cap and performance in Cyrodiil are now confirmed.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    reazea wrote: »
    It makes me sad that our fears that these "tests" would result in a further reduction of the pop cap and performance in Cyrodiil are now confirmed.

Confirmed where?
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed where?

I think they meant the anecdotal evidence of weekday and weekend queues being doubled since shortly after the test ended.

Mr. Wheeler stated that they had set the pop caps back to their previous pre-test levels, but there's nothing stopping them from lowering them the next day. Clearly something has changed since then to make such a dramatic increase in wait time to get in.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

Confirmed where?

I think they meant the anecdotal evidence of weekday and weekend queues being doubled since shortly after the test ended.

Mr. Wheeler stated that they had set the pop caps back to their previous pre-test levels, but there's nothing stopping them from lowering them the next day. Clearly something has changed since then to make such a dramatic increase in wait time to get in.

i think thats still borderline conspiracy theory, larger queues could just mean more people trying to pvp

the pre-test pop caps were low enough that during prime time there were always long queues, usually enough so that it would prevent me from bothering with it or maining in blackreach because of less queues

it was quite enjoyable with the larger pop caps during the test by a wide margin, but im not supporting pessimistic conspiracy theories such as the devs are doing this out of spite or trying to kill off cyrodiil intentionally
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed where?

i think thats still borderline conspiracy theory, larger queues could just mean more people trying to pvp

the pre-test pop caps were low enough that during prime time there were always long queues, usually enough so that it would prevent me from bothering with it or maining in blackreach because of less queues

it was quite enjoyable with the larger pop caps during the test by a wide margin, but im not supporting pessimistic conspiracy theories such as the devs are doing this out of spite or trying to kill off cyrodiil intentionally

Personally when I've suggested this, it was never to imply that they're trying to "kill off cyrodiil" or "doing it out of spite". I don't think either of those things are accurate.

However, I would find it plausible that they're testing taking further resources away from the campaigns for use elsewhere. They have undeniably reduced the caps multiple times now, and it is extremely odd that there have been nearly double the queues each night that there were prior to the cap test. It would make sense that they were lowering the resource allocation in tandem with the population caps. If this were true, maybe those resources are going to be allocated to a new PVP zone. Maybe they're going to reduce cyrodiil in size, split it into segments, or make it a PVE zone entirely. Who knows. But unfortunately since they almost never communicate with us regarding PVP or their intentions, all we can do is speculate.

@ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok. I'm fine with just giving a hypothesis based on what you see, and might even agree. But the word "confirmed" needs more than that
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    React wrote: »

Confirmed where?

Personally when I've suggested this, it was never to imply that they're trying to "kill off cyrodiil" or "doing it out of spite". I don't think either of those things are accurate.

However, I would find it plausible that they're testing taking further resources away from the campaigns for use elsewhere. They have undeniably reduced the caps multiple times now, and it is extremely odd that there have been nearly double the queues each night that there were prior to the cap test. It would make sense that they were lowering the resource allocation in tandem with the population caps. If this were true, maybe those resources are going to be allocated to a new PVP zone. Maybe they're going to reduce cyrodiil in size, split it into segments, or make it a PVE zone entirely. Who knows. But unfortunately since they almost never communicate with us regarding PVP or their intentions, all we can do is speculate.

yeah i would agree its all pure speculation and the general lack of communication from zos in general doesnt help anything either but, from my view, larger queues means more people trying to get into cyro at once, not that the pop caps were any lower than from before the test

even before the test i remember seeing 40-60+ person grey host queues outside of events during primetime, so to me nothing has changed

i was using the "kill off cyrodiil" because thats what most people are speculating, such as in your own thread presuming that the pop caps were further lowered (not saying you yourself was saying that, but the general idea is amongst the posts)

so there is no actual proof they were lowered anymore than pre-test values, and have to take into account that theres likely a lot of people who take time off work between mid dec and mid january, more free time = potentially more time in game

edit: clarity
    Edited by Necrotech_Master on January 12, 2024 7:47PM
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

• Twig_Garlicshine
    Twig_Garlicshine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stating that "pvp is being killed off" is not a "conspiracy theory"
    It is merely an observation that something may be having the effect of driving people away.

It isn't in fact hard to see population cap reductions when the queues appear during off prime times, and there isn't any increase in number of battles, or even size of battles.
    Lowering population caps over and over makes for queues and guess what,
    people hate queues and go find something else to do, whether that is in game, or another game.
    That also is not a "conspiracy theory".

Stating that bugs and or performance issues in a game drives people away is also not a "conspiracy theory" it is also an observation that something may be having a visible effect on the game or the members of its population.

Observing that Zos does not respond very much to observations and questions from Pvp players is also not a "conspiracy theory". It is an opinion.

Weaponising the report button may also be having an effect - silencing people who state their opinions and viewpoints. The effect of that would be - less opinions and observations posted in the forums creating an echo chamber.
    That also is not a "conspiracy theory", just an observation that some players have a tendency to play "forum pvp".

Now leaveing to go find something else to do since I'd rather not sit in a queue to find a Cyro population equivalent to Dark Age of Camelot's present population.
    Yea they are down to about the same now. With one important difference - in Daoc like Wow, I can pvp without keyboard/mouse input lag - the abilities actually fire consistently in both those games.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed where?

I reread my post twice, looking for any references to "spite" or "killing off Cyrodiil intentionally," and didn't see anything of that sort.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to put words or intentions into my mouth.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed where?

I reread my post twice, looking for any references to "spite" or "killing off Cyrodiil intentionally," and didn't see anything of that sort.

where did i say that you personally had said that? thats purely the general idea that im getting from all of the threads posting the conspiracy theories about the population caps cropping up recently

i was stating that i dont support such pessimistic theories (such as further lowered pop caps), and then the further pessimistic speculation extrapolated from that (such as phasing out pvp)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed where?

where did i say that you personally had said that? thats purely the general idea that im getting from all of the threads posting the conspiracy theories about the population caps cropping up recently

i was stating that i dont support such pessimistic theories (such as further lowered pop caps), and then the further pessimistic speculation extrapolated from that (such as phasing out pvp)

You quoted my post and said "i think thats still borderline conspiracy theory, larger queues could just mean more people trying to pvp"

There was nothing remotely like a conspiracy theory in my post. Not sure why you are trying to get me sanctioned unjustly.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed where?

You quoted my post and said "i think thats still borderline conspiracy theory, larger queues could just mean more people trying to pvp"

There was nothing remotely like a conspiracy theory in my post. Not sure why you are trying to get me sanctioned unjustly.

i wasnt trying to get you sanctioned (and yes i am aware of the forum rules on conspiracy theories)

i tend to consider anything "out of left field negative speculation with no proof" a conspiracy theory, which is what i find the idea of additionally lowered pop caps to be

i respect the fact that it is your opinion, but without proof i take that kind of information with a grain of salt
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed where?

i wasnt trying to get you sanctioned (and yes i am aware of the forum rules on conspiracy theories)

i tend to consider anything "out of left field negative speculation with no proof" a conspiracy theory, which is what i find the idea of additionally lowered pop caps to be

i respect the fact that it is your opinion, but without proof i take that kind of information with a grain of salt

We don't know if they have adjusted the population caps since the end of the test. But they could change them 10 times a day, and we wouldn't know unless they tell us.

However, multiple people have noticed an unprecedented spike in queue numbers since the completion of the test, while also noting a lower number of players in the field. I'm curious to hear your theory on why the queues have doubled for the past two weeks. Do you think there's been some sort of sudden interest in Cyrodiil, that's not event or double AP related? And if so, why?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed where?

We don't know if they have adjusted the population caps since the end of the test. But they could change them 10 times a day, and we wouldn't know unless they tell us.

However, multiple people have noticed an unprecedented spike in queue numbers since the completion of the test, while also noting a lower number of players in the field. I'm curious to hear your theory on why the queues have doubled for the past two weeks. Do you think there's been some sort of sudden interest in Cyrodiil, that's not event or double AP related? And if so, why?
    • part 1 of my theory is just more people in game, or at least trying to get into cyro for one reason or another
    • part 2 is that the past few weeks is a major holiday period in the US, of which people are likely to be taking time off work which could result in more people being in game (this will only really be valid until the end of this weekend though as i suspect most are back to work/school at this point if they did have time off)

part 1 of my theory is based on the fact that this type of thing occurred even prior to the test, with the pop caps before the test i still remember seeing grey host queues of up to 60+ during primetime (~5 or 6 pm est until about ~1 or 2 am est), and most of the overflow from that would end up in blackreach until that hit pop caps

its one of the reasons i tended to main camp in blackreach, because i would hate sitting in a 30+ person queue for grey host, if i see a 30+ person queue for cyro, i just leave queue and try a different campaign lol

i agree that there is no way for us players to know exactly whats going on, but when i was in cyro last week, it felt like cyro before the test in terms of queues and action happening, and i also miss the significantly raised pop caps as that felt like cyro from like 7 years ago lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed where?

Confirmed by those of us who play in organized groups in Cyrodiil every day. It's very obvious they've reduced the pop cap yet again to those of us who play every day.
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok. I'm fine with just giving a hypothesis based on what you see, and might even agree. But the word "confirmed" needs more than that

ZOS has never told us when they've lowered the pop cap in Cyrodiil in the past, and they've lowered the pop cap from 600/faction to now about 60/faction since release. We don't know how many times or when they've made these reductions, because they won't tell us when they take things away from the PvP community, but we know they've made the reductions.

Players are able to figure out what's going on by playing the game ya know. We can see first hand the results of the changes they make by seeing the changes in game performance. We don't need ZOS to tell us.

Edited by reazea on January 13, 2024 10:31AM
  • dbonifaci_ESO
    dbonifaci_ESO
    ✭✭
    Haven't played for a couple years now. What are the population caps in Cyrodiil these days? They seemed pretty high a couple years back.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't played for a couple years now. What are the population caps in Cyrodiil these days? They seemed pretty high a couple years back.
    No one knows for sure what the population limit actually is. But it is something that players figured out that the population limit has been lowered a couple of times (often it was a "ninja" nerf). Based on my observations, I would guess that currently it is something like 80 - 100 people per faction.
  • CrazyKitty
    CrazyKitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed where?

You're clearly not a PvP player or you would know it's no conspiracy theory. ZOS lowered the pop cap yet again roughly 2 weeks ago.
    No one knows for sure what the population limit actually is. But it is something that players figured out that the population limit has been lowered a couple of times (often it was a "ninja" nerf). Based on my observations, I would guess that currently it is something like 80 - 100 people per faction.

The pop cap was 80-100. Now it's 60-80.
  • Freilauftomate
    Freilauftomate
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really don't get what ZOS could possibly be gaining from all the silence, [snip]

What exactly is happening here? [snip]

[edited for bashing/conspiracy theory]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 15, 2024 6:03PM
  • Laenendil
    Laenendil
    ✭✭✭

I took a several years break from pvp only to come back last year, campaigns feel dead and empty compared to before, even when pop is capped locked you barely have any large fights. Now you are happy when you come across a 20+ vs20+ fight
  • Darethran
    Darethran
    ✭✭✭
    Laenendil wrote: »

I took a several years break from pvp only to come back last year, campaigns feel dead and empty compared to before, even when pop is capped locked you barely have any large fights. Now you are happy when you come across a 20+ vs20+ fight

I noticed this as well. When the campaign is max pop, it's only a couple keeps seeing heavy fighting. When I first got into PvP in 2018, basically every direction was seeing heavy combat.

Makes sense, as 80 per alliance is really not much. That's enough space for maybe 2 full groups, and the rest being pugs.
    In Scotland | @Darethran

[EU] Ervona Saranith (EP) - Lvl 50 CP >560 - Dunmer Healer
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have no idea what the caps are but the queue for how few people I see in the campaign is off. Something fishy is going on
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on January 16, 2024 3:33PM
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have no idea what the caps are but the queue for how few people I see in the campaign is off. Something fishy is going on

On weekdays population is in Greyhost capped from 1pm to 1am EST now. Yeah, they lowered the cap. The overflow from Greyhost having such a low pop cap now is causing Blackreach to cap at about 3 pm EST too. They absolutely lowered the pop cap. It's very, very, very obvious and undeniable.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

On weekdays population is in Greyhost capped from 1pm to 1am EST now. Yeah, they lowered the cap. The overflow from Greyhost having such a low pop cap now is causing Blackreach to cap at about 3 pm EST too. They absolutely lowered the pop cap. It's very, very, very obvious and undeniable.

It's at 3 bars across the board now. Not sure where that stands from usual or what it means. Just an observation and vital does feel unusual.

I'd also be curious if the bars are ever uneven still. Almost feels like there is an overall pop cap, vs per faction. It's just some days, it feels like you completely outnumber all enemies at large fights. Others, it feel like you get outnumbered and there's nobody else around to rally.

Whatevers going on, it's not fun either direction and I'm losing what little interest I have left.
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on January 16, 2024 8:11PM
  • Desiato
    Desiato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they would focus on AvA gameplay changes instead of reducing population caps.

We all know there are certain scenarios involving the play style of a minority of players that disproportionately impact performance.

In that vein, the tank meta, infinite sustain and high TTK also results in fights that are long and drawn out, which is also a factor IMO.
    spending a year dead for tax reasons
  • Sporigudinai
    Sporigudinai
    ✭✭✭
    Cyrodill Lives!!

even in the corner of the forgotten ZOS´s drawer
    PC-NA
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Desiato wrote: »
    I wish they would focus on AvA gameplay changes instead of reducing population caps.

We all know there are certain scenarios involving the play style of a minority of players that disproportionately impact performance.

In that vein, the tank meta, infinite sustain and high TTK also results in fights that are long and drawn out, which is also a factor IMO.

Interesting how they keep introducing more and more tank/heal/shield meta and ball group support sets with each new update. It's pretty clear what direction they want PvP to continue to take.