• PC/Mac: No maintenance – August 12

Do we want a Bard class? why?

• Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Lumenn wrote: »
    A singing warrior DOESN'T fit tes lore, despite dwarves and dragons.

Sword-singers literally sang their weapons into existence and we watched Sai Sahan do it.

In High Isle, we directly meet and assist a would-be singing warrior. She uses her songs to aid us.

In the bards college, we pickup instruments a few which seem magical like this chime.
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Chime_of_the_Endless

We already have so many examples showing us there is magic in song and sound.

They could also do a bard class in a manner similar to the TES bard class of other games where it was less a singing warrior and moreso a talented illusionist.

I'd be sincerely curious to know why some feel the concept is so lore breaking.

You'll have to cite me official lore on sword singers using song to conjure their weapons, as all I could find(on an admittedly short search, I'm working) was them believing the sword was the ultimate weapon and the "song of the sword" was perfection in battle. Hence sword singers. The best used willpower, not song, to form their swords, a very rare ability among them. Sai might have needed to hum a little diddy but in the lore I read the masters didn't.

But, even if they could go beat-boxing into battle I don't understand the confusion? When have WE, playing bards on any other tes game, used song magic? Bards were clever rogues, selfish spellswords.(my favorite class, spellswords. ) But the didn't go into the fight singing Mary had a little lamb and banging on their cymbals. I WILL admit it's been YEARS since I've played tes 1-4 so it's ENTIRELY possible I don't remember being able to shake my maracas at the cliff striders every 10 seconds.

Also note, I said I'd probably try it out, but other, more lore friendly classes should come first. I'm actually hoping this arcanist makes a good spellsword.
    Options
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    no
    Not enough for a class.

A skill line would make more sense.
    Options
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doesn't fit in TES
    We can already be Elder Scrolls version of bards.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
    Options
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    code65536 wrote: »
    Bard as a combat class makes as much sense as a chef class.

Omg. Now I want to be a samurai chef.
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes

Sword-singers literally sang their weapons into existence and we watched Sai Sahan do it.

In High Isle, we directly meet and assist a would-be singing warrior. She uses her songs to aid us.

In the bards college, we pickup instruments a few which seem magical like this chime.

They could also do a bard class in a manner similar to the TES bard class of other games where it was less a singing warrior and moreso a talented illusionist.

You'll have to cite me official lore on sword singers using song to conjure their weapons, as all I could find(on an admittedly short search, I'm working) was them believing the sword was the ultimate weapon and the "song of the sword" was perfection in battle. Hence sword singers. The best used willpower, not song, to form their swords, a very rare ability among them. Sai might have needed to hum a little diddy but in the lore I read the masters didn't.

But, even if they could go beat-boxing into battle I don't understand the confusion? When have WE, playing bards on any other tes game, used song magic? Bards were clever rogues, selfish spellswords.(my favorite class, spellswords. ) But the didn't go into the fight singing Mary had a little lamb and banging on their cymbals. I WILL admit it's been YEARS since I've played tes 1-4 so it's ENTIRELY possible I don't remember being able to shake my maracas at the cliff striders every 10 seconds.

Also note, I said I'd probably try it out, but other, more lore friendly classes should come first. I'm actually hoping this arcanist makes a good spellsword.

I'm mostly going by this statement in the wiki and Sai's quest.
    The people of the blade kept their poetry and artistry in building beautiful swords woven with magic and powers from the unknown gods. The greatest among them became known as Ansei, or "Saints of the Sword."

It lead me to believe that some of them used poetry/songs to forge their blades, while the greatest warriors could forge them through sheer force of will.

We, the player, have never played a character that could use song magic. However, we had never played a Dragonborn until Skyrim either.

Some new ideas have more lore basis to justify their existence than others. And I think a class that fights using song has more lore sources to draw from to guide its creation than others.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on February 3, 2023 12:51AM
    Options
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no

The people of the blade kept their poetry and artistry in building beautiful swords woven with magic and powers from the unknown gods. The greatest among them became known as Ansei, or "Saints of the Sword."

It lead me to believe that some of them used poetry/songs to forge their blades, while the greatest warriors could forge them through sheer force of will.

We, the player, have never played a character that could use song magic. However, we had never played a Dragonborn until Skyrim either.

Some new ideas have more lore basis to justify their existence than others. And I think a class that fights using song has more lore sources to draw from to guide its creation than others.

I COMPLETELY respect your point of view, even if I don't share it, and I would try it if they made one. I could even go with an enchanter imbuing special properties into gear/weapons first. But that's what the forums are for. Civilized discussion.
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes

I COMPLETELY respect your point of view, even if I don't share it, and I would try it if they made one. I could even go with an enchanter imbuing special properties into gear/weapons first. But that's what the forums are for. Civilized discussion.

Thanks, you too! Imbuing special properties into their gear could be pretty cool too. Probably closer to the OG TES bards as well. I think they could do some cool illusion spells along those lines too.
    Options
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    I honestly don't want bard class, think it sounds naff unless it is deener tonal technology and can be made interesting. Just doesn't appeal at all.
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    no
    code65536 wrote: »
    Bard as a combat class makes as much sense as a chef class.

My cooking just might kill you.

Two of the three answers are NO. That means more than 70% of the respondents so far are replying NO.
    Options
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reality is just wanted more support skills 🏥👨‍⚕️👩‍⚕️
    Edited by FeedbackOnly on February 3, 2023 1:36AM
    Options
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doesn't fit in TES
    1. There were 21 classes in Oblivion and Morrowind, alongside classes like Acrobat and Pilgrim.
    2. Were there actually any combat bards mentioned in any of the Elder Scrolls lore books? I don't recall any.

I don't think an entire bard class fits in ES, and especially not in ESO, where every class brings with it new balancing issues.
    Options
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    Because I've been watching Vox Machina on Amazon

c3p57x505dcz.gif
    Options
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    To be understood as "I don't mind if it would be added, but wouldn't use it".

I have generally no interest into a new class, simply because I don't like the leveling up in ESO (for me, new class = new char). Just the idea to restart a char from the scratch... :s ... No way.
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
    Options
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    no
    I do not feel any particular desire for a bard class. Unless it includes ability to explode brains of enemy player characters by singing the "Red Diamond" song in PvP of course.
    Options
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    It would be good as a pure non-combat roleplay character.
    Options
  • logan68
    logan68
    ✭✭✭
    doesn't fit in TES
    Almost every class and skill line provides some form of buff or group buff what could the bard bring as they always seem to be a support class. Maybe some forgotten tonal magic as a skill line.
    Options
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    I see a bard as purely a buff class. This would certainly have a roll in ESO, but I am not sure how it fits into the Devs current philosophy that all classes need to be able to do all things.

At launch, it seemed clear we had a Tank (DK), Healer (Templar), and Two damage classes (Sorc and NB), but that just didnt last all that long.

I remember a lot of hate when warden released and seemed to replace templar as an obvious healer in group content. Even though lines are a lot more blurred these days, I think that could be problematic with a bard class, an archetype that has always been very niche.
    Options
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    no
    If it isn't "Ombra mai fu" sung by Yoshikazu Mera with the Japanese Philharmonic then it isn't music, just an annoying noise.
    PC EU
    Options
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    no
    Kirawolfe wrote: »
    As a support class type, yes. Played one in Everquest and absolutely loved it. Loved how different songs were made more powerful by the right instruments, and the different tiers of instruments.

It was fascinating - speed up healing over time, combat speed, movement, add to damage (like a morale booster that makes folks hit harder because they're pumped up :D ) plus debuffs on enemies - snares, weakness, confusion, etc.

And yes, in Everquest you could kite a bunch of creatures, running ahead of the pack and working them down with dots. So, you could go solo as well, if you wanted.

i vote no

this person said why
    Options
  • Paramedicus
    Paramedicus
    ✭✭✭✭
    no
    in 4 man groups there is barely place for healers..

PC EU
    /script JumpToHouse("@Paramedicus")

↑↑↑ Feel free to visit my house if you need to use Transmute Station or vet Trial Dummy with buffs and Aetherial Well (look for the Harrowing Reaper on the northern rock wall) ↑↑↑
    Options
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    in 4 man groups there is barely place for healers..

This is painful because it’s true. :bawling:
    Options
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If we are talking about classes from previous TES games that we want imported then I want my sniper class so I can one shot from half a map away.

As for bards, unless I can charm my way out of pvp fights it's a pointless class to have.
    Options
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »
    If we are talking about classes from previous TES games that we want imported then I want my sniper class so I can one shot from half a map away.

As for bards, unless I can charm my way out of pvp fights it's a pointless class to have.

Charm is is a thing now; see Faun's Lark Cladding.

I could see a Bard class making use of a load of debuffs like Fear, Charm, Concussed, Stun. Lots of sound effects to sway the hearts and minds of their opponents. I think it could be more offensive then people give it credit for. Not just a support class.
    Edited by Billium813 on February 3, 2023 11:15PM
    Options
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    doesn't fit in TES
    Maybe, instead, they could add a special group of musician emotes that ran while you pew pewed at the enemies. ;)
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
    Options
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes

Yes, there were Bard classes in many of the TES games but the didn’t go shouting, singing, or chanting into battle. All the TES skills (social skills, legerdemain, bargaining, etc.) are already integrated elsewhere such as they are.

So? So many classes have copy paste aoes and buffs, hell they’re literally remaking vampires to have the same teleport as Sorc, warden, and eventually the new Archanist.

Also to address your point, what current class do we have that goes “singing and chanting into battle?” Why would that be a bad thing? Bargaining is currently only in two eso skill lines (fighters guild and mages guild) and its only used in quest dialogue.

I understand anyone that personally doesn’t want bards, I don’t particularly care for them, but we can’t act like it’s an affront to the divines if we have them. They would find a way to make them unique.
    Options
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    doesn't fit in TES
    I remember when LOTRO introduced the minstrel and you literally played a lute as part of combat lol. Even in LOTRO I always thought it was out of place but I really can’t see how it fits in ESO.
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
    Options
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    no
    I love music, but Bard is the one class I don't want. I'm afraid it will dilute the healing archetype too much, and split buffs and heals... which would make healing really boring.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    It would never occur to me to play a bard as a healer. The earlier single player games seemed to buy into the DnD trope of "rogue with scrolls".

I really think the way ESO is set up, bard wouldn't be ideal or even logical. *sigh* Unfortunate.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    I want bard as a skill line. Anyone can learn to play an instrument
    Add a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Veteran players have been alienated and disengaged from Overland since One Tamriel, due to the lack of difficulty, and pushed into dungeons and trials; the minority of content in the Elder Scrolls Online. We can't take the repetition anymore, fix Overland engagement for Vet players. I don't even care if it's not combat related anymore, just make Overland engaging again.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
    Options