Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

Do we want a Bard class? why?

Sparxlost
Sparxlost
✭✭✭
"I know there were classes called bard, among others, but you didn’t go singing into battle. Is that what people were wanting? I can’t imagine how it would work in an MMO and not be obnoxious."

Well being a bard doesnt necessarily mean you HAVE to sing into battle.. You could give one mighty roar to buff yourself and allies, then ulilize spells small spells with clever poet type names or scrolls of magic... (ex. Might o Ice could be a frost damage skill, of course you wouldnt hear the bard say that every cast but when you saw them cast it you would know that it is the spell they were casting if that makes any sense xD) then most of their audio identity would probably come from their roaring or possibly laughter spells...

Do we want a Bard class? why? 180 votes

yes
28%
vailjohn_ESOSuddwrathStxJarndyceHolycannoliPathNettleCarrierJumboWheat01RobvenomDestairobwolf666GrimnaurAstironRex-UmbraBo0137jad11mumblerMEBengalsFan2001SirGabenOfSteamiaMirelaUmbrellaJim_Pipp 52 votes
no
53%
kypranb14_ESOfreespiritKhenarthiMuizerGroufAektannMalthorneShagrethIdinuseElsonsoSheridanAliasRedkargen27XuhoraOreyn_BearclawpeacenoteerdbeerheldEnemy-of-ColdharbourRagnarok0130Lumsdenml 97 votes
doesn't fit in TES
17%
BlueRavenSurragardThorntonguephaneub17_ESOcode65536MartoMikeSkyrim333DojohodaGiantFruitFlyemilyhyoyeonDark_Lord_KuroFakeFoxBretonMageKittyHazWaresDarknDarkertonyblackNotaDaedraWorshipperEthanolMuffinsAscarlthe1andonlyskwex 31 votes
  • Sparxlost
    Sparxlost
    ✭✭✭
    yes
    seems cool
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doesn't fit in TES
    Bard as a combat class makes as much sense as a chef class.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yes
    yes. a bard class is a much-needed feature.

what i really want though, is a chef class.
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skill-line.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    I've always made my own bards in previous games - I pick the sort of spells that are "roguish" (I don't have any of the games loaded right now as I'm getting ready to reinstall Oblivion and Skyrim so don't really have spell names at my fingertips), and usually use a sword or dagger as weapon, which leaves a hand free. Of course Skyrim has the bard mods available (for singing/playing for one's supper and a bed) but that's more on the line of the bards you see in this game rather than being its own "class".

Since we have had Shouts in TES V, and Tonal Architects among the Dwemer, I've never really found spell-using bards that out of range. But of course, that's just me. I've never really looked at what the lore says about it, because I don't really care as long as I can do what I want in the single player titles.

I think it's unlikely to happen in ESO, but I really do wish it would. I actually think it would be better as an additive skill line - along the same setup as antiquities.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    While I do think FFXIV pulls a bard class off decently, any way I imagine ZoS trying to attempt it's own version seems like it'd be a terrible thing to witness and play. I think a bard line would make more sense as a guild or world skill line; I could see it featuring alternate choices for major brutality/sorcery, major prophecy/savagery, major resolve, any other buffs every build needs usually via battle cries/roars. Maybe even a little dance move, idk haha too bad we kind of missed out on the best timing for such a thing with Greymoor where the Bards College is.... seriously so much wasted potential in this game.
    Edited by fizzylu on February 2, 2023 2:23PM
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know how Bard plays in FFXIV... it's a ranged archer class. Not sure how it would work in ESO and all the various weapon types; seems like it'd be a bit awkward.

I wish they'd add more RANGED weapons... 'bow' is outdated. They could add Chakrams like FFXIV did with Dancer class; just stand back and throw them at enemies. IMO it would work very well for ESO.
    Edited by ADarklore on February 2, 2023 2:23PM
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Bobargus
    Bobargus
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes
    code65536 wrote: »

I mean, a chef class that gets additional offensive power from your character's provisioning skill level would be really interesting.

Or a rolling pin melee attack. Or a pan...
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FBS94 wrote: »
    code65536 wrote: »

I mean, a chef class that gets additional offensive power from your character's provisioning skill level would be really interesting.

Or a rolling pin melee attack. Or a pan...

If you have the Caldwell stylepages collected you have something like that already.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For reference here's what the bard class involved in Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion. (Skyrim didn't have the option to choose starting skills, either by picking a class or custom set-up.)

The short version is it's not about singing, either in battle or outside of it. (Which IMO makes the name a bit inaccurate, but there we go.) They're more of a jack-of-all-trades class but with an emphasis on speech craft and intelligence, using their words to solve a problem instead of or as well as fighting, but with a wide variety of options when they do need to fight.

Arena

"A Bard is the proverbial "Jack of all Trades". They are able to perform many tasks, including but not limited to critical strikes, weapons skill, picking locks/pockets, and magic. They are a very versatile class, able to take up slack in almost any situation. Bards receive an amount equal to their Intelligence in spell points. A Bard's critical strike capability is useful when cornered by stronger opponents, though their chance to score is not as great as Thieves and the others in this subclass."

Can use Dagger, Shortsword, Broadsword, Mace, Saber, War Axe, Short Bow, medium (chain) armour and can cast spells but gets no bonuses to which ones they can cast.

Daggerfall

"Bards are the most versatile class, learned in many different arts. They are familiar with weaponry, magic, and the thiefly talents."

Their skills are: Streetwise, Etiquette, Pickpocket, Stealth, Short Blade, Hand-to-Hand, Lockpicking, Alteration, Illusion, Destruction, Archery, Restoration and they can use leather or chain armour.

Morrowind

"Bards are loremasters and storytellers. They crave adventure for the wisdom and insight to be gained, and must depend on sword, shield, spell and enchantment to preserve them from the perils of their educational experiences."

Attributes: Personality, Intelligence. Skills: Speechcraft, Alchemy, Acrobatics, Long Blade, Block, Mercantile, Illusion, Medium Armor, Enchant, Security.

Oblivion

"Intelligent and personable, they prefer to accomplish tasks with their words first, and sword second."

Attributes: Intelligence, Personality. Skills: Alchemy, Blade, Block, Illusion, Light Armor, Mercantile, Speechcraft

I'm not sure what they'd really contribute to ESO though. The speechcraft element is irrelevant because when we do get choices in quests it's open to everyone and otherwise I think they'd be too close to a nightblade or stamina templar.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Classical bard won't do in ES setting, let alone ESO. Scrolls have "sound magic" but that's pretty different from some other fantasy people seem to be into.

We already have one btw - warden. It's as close to the "story telling" class we're getting I'm pretty sure.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doesn't fit in TES
    Get 6 people surrounding you as you play an instrument, now have those 6 people start pushing you around while you attempt to play instrument, now have them start punching you, and finally have them start sticking pointy objects at you while you attempt to play your instrument. Tell me your results after.
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yes
    Get 6 people surrounding you as you play an instrument, now have those 6 people start pushing you around while you attempt to play instrument, now have them start punching you, and finally have them start sticking pointy objects at you while you attempt to play your instrument. Tell me your results after.

jazz?
  • Sparxlost
    Sparxlost
    ✭✭✭
    yes

No one said you have to play an instrument to be an effective warrior poet...

you could make use of small rhymes as functional destruction spells or write spells on scrolls to use in combat.. your power over sound could turn your screams of rage into a huge debuff for enemies or your laughs into a source of confusion...
  • Sparxlost
    Sparxlost
    ✭✭✭
    yes

and those are things that can be done almost just as swiftly as swinging a sword or casting a spell
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    No, and it doesn’t fit in TES.

The poll options should simply be “yes” and “no” and then people can elaborate in comments as to why.
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    I don’t demand we get one. But like…they are definitely Elder Scrolls friendly. There were literal bard classes in the old games (Anyone play Oblivion lol?) I know classes in those games weren’t the same as ESO, but technically it is where we got nightblades from.

I am excited for Archanist, but I admit making a class specific to Hermaeus Mora is very pigeon-holey when trying to create a character. I could come up with a lot more vibrant characters if it was a bard.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    I don’t demand we get one. But like…they are definitely Elder Scrolls friendly. There were literal bard classes in the old games (Anyone play Oblivion lol?) I know classes in those games weren’t the same as ESO, but technically it is where we got nightblades from.

I am excited for Archanist, but I admit making a class specific to Hermaeus Mora is very pigeon-holey when trying to create a character. I could come up with a lot more vibrant characters if it was a bard.

Yes, there were Bard classes in many of the TES games but the didn’t go shouting, singing, or chanting into battle. All the TES skills (social skills, legerdemain, bargaining, etc.) are already integrated elsewhere such as they are.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yes
    Has nobody played classic Everquest? Or Dark Age Of Camelot? Bard classes can be a lot of fun and bring great utility to groups. DAOC had three varying versions of "bard":

Bard for Hibernia: https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/class-library-bard

Minstrel for Albion: https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/class-library-minstrel

Skald for Midgard: https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/class-library-skald

Slight variations on the same basic theme of music as magic. If devs 20 years ago can come up with three variations of the class I'm sure ZOS can come up with one.

And it can fit Elder Scrolls lore just fine. If dragon voices can be magical via shouting, and the dwemer used tonal magic (they don't call it magic but it basically is in a sense), what's wrong with music being magical?

Some of you need to go play classic Everquest and Dark Age Of Camelot.

Oh and I didn't even mention that ESO was heavily influenced by DAOC. The whole RvRvR thing and Imperial City being ESO's version of DAOC's Darkness Falls, which you couldn't access unless your realm owned the majority of keeps. Who here remembers when you couldn't enter Imperial City unless your realm owned the circle of keeps surrounding it? And anyone inside IC counted toward the pop cap so you had to do your farming quickly before another realm took control of the entry and came to wipe you out? Just like Darkness Falls. Good change getting rid of that but this game was originally an almost spiritual successor to DAOC, set in the Elder Scrolls universe instead of a fantasy Arthurian universe. A bard class can fit just fine.
    Edited by Holycannoli on February 2, 2023 3:48PM
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    I fully admit that Bard may not fit TES as a combat class. It certainly wouldn't fit ESO in the way that players would think of a classic Bard; strumming a harp or playing a lute.

I think a Bard would be much closer to a Dwarven Architect/ Engineer / Enchanter (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Tonal_Architecture). Unfortunately, that class may not be very exciting and/or rely on large Dwarven Machines to work. Could be really interesting as a class that summons Dwarven Automatons, creates tonal shields and shockwaves, and sunders the earth as more of a Earth mage, with vocals and tones.
    Edited by Billium813 on February 2, 2023 3:56PM
  • Ragnork
    Ragnork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    I really want the chef class..... Sauce 😋
  • opalcity
    opalcity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Neverwinter has bards. You have a rapier for melee, and then a lute for magic. It's a viable dps class, but was mostly used in support because of its buffs and heals. (Its been a few years since I played it so I can't say what state its in now)

The powers worked by playing tunes - a series of preset keystrokes/button combo s that played a riff and did the thing. Iirc you could have one slotted all the time, and another automatically played the last tune you used.

Those that liked it, loved it. I personally couldn't get on with, but then I was never that great at guitar hero! Which is a shame, because it looked pretty cool when casting.

Oh and it also has a freeplay mode so, when you were out of combat, you could jam on your lute for fun!
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has nobody played classic Everquest? Or Dark Age Of Camelot? Bard classes can be a lot of fun and bring great utility to groups. DAOC had three varying versions of "bard":

Bard for Hibernia: https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/class-library-bard

Minstrel for Albion: https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/class-library-minstrel

Skald for Midgard: https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/class-library-skald

Slight variations on the same basic theme of music as magic. If devs 20 years ago can come up with three variations of the class I'm sure ZOS can come up with one.

And it can fit Elder Scrolls lore just fine. If dragon voices can be magical via shouting, and the dwemer used tonal magic (they don't call it magic but it basically is in a sense), what's wrong with music being magical?

Some of you need to go play classic Everquest and Dark Age Of Camelot.

Oh and I didn't even mention that ESO was heavily influenced by DAOC. The whole RvRvR thing and Imperial City being ESO's version of DAOC's Darkness Falls, which you couldn't access unless your realm owned the majority of keeps. Who here remembers when you couldn't enter Imperial City unless your realm owned the circle of keeps surrounding it? And anyone inside IC counted toward the pop cap so you had to do your farming quickly before another realm took control of the entry and came to wipe you out? Just like Darkness Falls. Good change getting rid of that but this game was originally an almost spiritual successor to DAOC, set in the Elder Scrolls universe instead of a fantasy Arthurian universe. A bard class can fit just fine.

I played both EverQuest titles. In EQ2 the bard is kinda like a all around jack of all trades while the one in EQ you learned how to twist songs.
  • Jarl_Ironheart
    Jarl_Ironheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doesn't fit in TES
    Bards in the sense that people want wouldn't fit TES. We have never really had anything showing magic through music. And bards classes traditionally are support based classes that buffs your party. A purr support class would be so annoying to play solo. It wouldn't fit. I'd rather have a true warrior class instead of more magic
    Push Posh Applesauce, Pocket Full of Marmalade.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    doesn't fit in TES
    Well, we were just discussing the topic yesterday...

zsd3yydmj50o.jpg
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    ew...no.
    The music and sounds would drive me nutts.

I'm also TIRED of new classes, id rather had gotten skill lines for my class. so i can keep improving it.
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Unless we're using tonal architecture or the thuum to manipulate the universe it would make absolutely no sense in TES. We already have a morale buffing skill in the form of War Horn so I don't see what a Bard can bring to the table we don't already have.
    Edited by Vevvev on February 2, 2023 4:57PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I've always made my own bards in previous games - I pick the sort of spells that are "roguish" (I don't have any of the games loaded right now as I'm getting ready to reinstall Oblivion and Skyrim so don't really have spell names at my fingertips), and usually use a sword or dagger as weapon, which leaves a hand free. Of course Skyrim has the bard mods available (for singing/playing for one's supper and a bed) but that's more on the line of the bards you see in this game rather than being its own "class".

Since we have had Shouts in TES V, and Tonal Architects among the Dwemer, I've never really found spell-using bards that out of range. But of course, that's just me. I've never really looked at what the lore says about it, because I don't really care as long as I can do what I want in the single player titles.

I think it's unlikely to happen in ESO, but I really do wish it would. I actually think it would be better as an additive skill line - along the same setup as antiquities.

lots of hype going around , they are remaking oblivion fully on skyrim and the pogress is going really well
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bard feels more like an skill line to me, than an class.
    As Jarl_Ironheart say an pure support class could be BIS in trials or PvP ball groups but be annoying solo and kind of 5th wheel in dungeons.
    Had been perfect as an skill line with the bard college in Skyrim.
    First skills is debuf's
    zsd3yydmj50o.jpg
    then you get the buffs.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yes
    I played both EverQuest titles. In EQ2 the bard is kinda like a all around jack of all trades while the one in EQ you learned how to twist songs.

Yeah it had a high skill ceiling compared to the other classes. In classic EQ it was actually too good at weaving and kiting and it wound up nerfed a few expansions later. A good bard could kite an entire zone of mobs, in a game that was designed around requiring a balanced group to handle even smaller amounts of mobs at a time.

That kind of power is irrelevant in ESO as people can wade through hordes of mobs without breaking a sweat, but DAOC's versions would work great. Great group utility but not the solo beasts they were in classic EQ. Speed songs, healing songs, mana regen songs, damage songs, protection songs, crowd control songs. You name it. I'm sure ZOS can come up with some interesting utility.