Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

The new Companions are both Male, but...

• Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Nobody really talked about Ember, but she's a cat.

True. That would be an unfair comparison. Only another cat could beat her.

Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    And? Last year they were both females.

SilverBride wanted someone like Jakarn for a companion if I recall correctly.

Yes, or someone like Count Verandis Ravenwatch.

Let's hope 2024 will be the year of a romanceable sophisticated male Altmer.

Or an Altmer male in general 😞 Disappointing that a year focused on Mer had no Mer companion.
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • Bat
    Bat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That blue colour is strange, maybe it's a dye yet to be released? The trimmings might be Blood Gold.
  • Androrix
    Androrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bethesda, Bethesda,
    Make me a match
    Find me a find,
    Catch me a catch.

Bethesda, Bethesda,
    Look through your toons,
    And make me a perfect match!
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Since we are discussing them we should take a look. I do find Azandar attractive, older or not, but the fatherly thing is what is bothering me.

Redguard Arcanist Azandar Al-Cybiades and Argonian Warden Sharp-As-Night

vg6i2iii1d4g.jpg

Is Al-Cybiades wearing psijic armor? And that color is interesting….

No. That's the Sapiarch style. I'm unsure of the dye used.

Thank you!

I have that, I thought it looked familiar.

I really like how his armor looks. But I also like customizing my companions.

It is throwing me off a bit…
  • SerasWhip
    SerasWhip
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why would anybody want more companions?

Because variety gives you freedom of choice.
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    However, I don't think this will work with some NPCs who are quest characters in multiple zones. Some NPCs like Jakarn show up in multiple places like Northern Elsweyr and High Isle, so if you had Jakarn as the active companion, would he just not show up to give you that quest in Northern Elsweyr?

I've realized the npcs disappearing then too. Of course this would be a problem if players could miss quests then. Maybe it should be the other way around and the companion should be automatically unsummoned if we get close to a spot where that character is presents as a quest npc?
    Grizzbeorn wrote: »
    They need to make the Companion system more customizable.

They want them to be distinctive personalities with their own story, though, the way their writers intended them. I, personally, can live with that very well, even if it means that they have aspects about them that don't completely conform to my personal taste.

I've seen some people call for NPCs to become companions after you've finished all their world quests, but I really dislike this idea. As this would mean that they only have a finite amount of quests, and once you've done them all it means we will never ever get new stories with them until ESO closes.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more variety, the better, in my opinion.

I completely agree and these new companions would have been fine if we also had the types of male companions that many players described wanting in previous threads, too. But so far all the male choices are missing the mark.

I suspect part of the problem is that they actually think of Bastian as our handsome male choice. But most of the feedback shows that he is generally not perceived that way.

Except they are what many have requested. It may not be what you or some others have, but many have requested companions like them. ZOS did not miss the mark, they hit it for many but they can't please everyone with just two companions.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, a lot of the comments here which are very focused on companions' appearance and for seemingly only to be romance options, like they are nothing but eye-candy, is bizarre to me.
    Sure I like attractive characters too (and I'm capable of finding a lot of people attractive, so that's rarely an issue), and wouldn't mind romance for them as long as it's optional and not similar to how ZOS' has written flirting lately, if so then no thanks to that. Yuck. But what matters the most to me is their charactersation and writing. I mostly want an interesting and well done character, not a love interest.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, a lot of the comments here which are very focused on companions' appearance and for seemingly only to be romance options, like they are nothing but eye-candy, is bizarre to me.
    Sure I like attractive characters too (and I'm capable of finding a lot of people attractive, so that's rarely an issue), and wouldn't mind romance for them as long as it's optional and not similar to how ZOS' has written flirting lately, if so then no thanks to that. Yuck. But what matters the most to me is their charactersation and writing. I mostly want an interesting and well done character, not a love interest.

Part of the reason I'm focused on it is because I know very little about their backgrounds. So, I can't really comment on their personalities too much. Other than to say I don't even know how to picture "Doc Brown meets Willy Wonka."

The other reason is that they first told us that if they didn't add romance options it would be a "huge miss" and that is an upcoming feature of companions back during Blackwood's launch. Now High Isle has come and gone and there is still no romance option. I know it would be too late for Necrom, but perhaps it's something that could be added in the Q3 or Q4 for 2023. If not, at least I would hope it's something they'd look into for 2024. That's a pretty long wait for a teased feature.

So, I want the devs to know when I give companion feedback that it is still a feature that I'm interested in. Kevin mentioned that they are looking at this thread to see how we feel about the new companions. So, I want to discuss not just what I imagine their personality might be like, but also want to imagine how they are suited to a romance option.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 28, 2023 12:08AM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I completely agree and these new companions would have been fine if we also had the types of male companions that many players described wanting in previous threads, too. But so far all the male choices are missing the mark.

I suspect part of the problem is that they actually think of Bastian as our handsome male choice. But most of the feedback shows that he is generally not perceived that way.

Except they are what many have requested. It may not be what you or some others have, but many have requested companions like them. ZOS did not miss the mark, they hit it for many but they can't please everyone with just two companions.

I don't remember seeing anyone ask for a lizard or an eccentric old fatherly type.

Out of 6 companions there is not one male choice that hits the marks for a lot of players, even though many examples were given.
    PCNA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't remember seeing anyone ask for a lizard or an eccentric old fatherly type.

Out of 6 companions there is not one male choice that hits the marks for a lot of players, even though many examples were given.

I do recall seeing a lot of people ask for an Argonian. A lot of people wanted a male Shadowscale that would not only not care about bounties, but even actually like the player participating in the darker activities.

I didn't see anyone asking for "Willy Wonka meets Doc Brown as a father figure" though. To be fair, that's highly specific.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 28, 2023 12:11AM
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do recall seeing a lot of people ask for an Argonian. A lot of people wanted a male Shadowscale that would not only not care about bounties, but even actually like the player participating in the darker activities.

I didn't see anyone asking for "Willy Wonka meets Doc Brown as a father figure" though. To be fair, that's highly specific.

I've also seen several people ask for an Argonian.

But yeah, the Willy Wonka Redguard really did take me by surprise. :D I'm actually intrigued though.
  • Androrix
    Androrix
    ✭✭✭✭

This is a fair comment from my recollection of the threads I read both about attractive male characters in the game and male companions. Jakarn or Verandis Ravenwatch as I recall were the exemplars of what was being requested by many players. @Kevin says devs are reviewing this thread. Hope they review it more carefully than the last ones.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Did they ask specifically for a male Argonian? Especially with Bastian being the only male we had up until now?
    PCNA
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Androrix wrote: »

This is a fair comment from my recollection of the threads I read both about attractive male characters in the game and male companions. Jakarn or Verandis Ravenwatch as I recall were the exemplars of what was being requested by many players. @Kevin says devs are reviewing this thread. Hope they review it more carefully than the last ones.

That is how I remember it, too.

Azandar wouldn't have been bad at all if they didn't make him eccentric and a "fatherly" type.
    PCNA
  • Clyde_BlueSnake
    Clyde_BlueSnake
    ✭✭✭
    I'm someone pleased the next batch of companions is a handsome Saxhleel Warden & a crazy old fatherly Redguard Arcanist!
    Main is Blue-Thuxis, a Argonian stamSorc, whose also is a werewolf! 2nd main, Cobalt-Thuxis, a Argonian stamArc, an identical twin sister to Blue-Thuxis, even is a werewolf as well! some alts:
    Nirn-Scale Rajthux (Argonian, Templar), Ros-Ei Nature-Thuxis (Argonian, Warden), Crimson-Thuxis (Argonian, DK), Bone-Thuxis Tharn (Argonian, Necro) Why Bone-Thuxis has Tharn as a last name:
    The siblings were separated at a young age due to a Dres slaver raid, Blue, Cobalt, Ros-Ei & their mother were able to escape, Crimson & Bone weren't that lucky. Crimson was later "rescued" by some Orcs that later ambushed the House Dres Dunmers, unfortunately one Dunmer remained & sadly successfully brought the young Bone-Thuxis to the Dres plantation. Later an Imperial, a Tharn, bought Bone at a auction & later told he was free, the young Argonian sadly had no idea where to go & doesn't know if his family was still alive, so the Tharn adopted him into House Tharn. This family of Argonians finally reunited years later.
    , Kenneth Clyde (Nord, Sorc), Selene Gray-Thuxis (Argonian, Nightblade), Urmanda (Orc, Warden)
    Some ESO history: I originally started from PS4 NA during June 10, 2015, I did reached CP 810+ on there. I eventually kinda got tired of paying PS+, so during February 4, 2019 I started moving to PC NA. Also CP: 810+. Nowadays I play ESO PC mostly, while PS4 is dust.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Did they ask specifically for a male Argonian? Especially with Bastian being the only male we had up until now?

Yup. Most of them wanted a male mostly because the last two were both females. I kept seeing a male Shadowscale who doesn't care about "dark" activities and then a handsome human or high elf along the lines of Verandis, Jarkarn, Darrien, etc.

• Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Azandar wouldn't have been bad at all if they didn't make him eccentric and a "fatherly" type.

I guess it would depend on what ZOS considers "fatherly". Verandis could easily be considered a fatherly type figure with the way he interacts with the rest of House Ravenwatch. The game even goes so far as to refer to Gwendis and Fennorian as his children at times.

So it's possible that this might be what ZOS has in mind for this new character?

Willy Wonka also had some very dark moments in his characterization at times. And a healthy amount of sarcasm too. If they are taking those into account, then he might turn out to be a very interesting individual.

EDIT: Just wanted to edit real quick to declare my undying love for House Ravenwatch again. Because I love them. I hope we see them again in the upcoming chapter.
    Edited by Wolf_Eye on January 28, 2023 12:38AM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. Most of them wanted a male mostly because the last two were both females. I kept seeing a male Shadowscale who doesn't care about "dark" activities and then a handsome human or high elf along the lines of Verandis, Jarkarn, Darrien, etc.

Well there were a LOT of requests for a handsome human or high elf along the lines of Verandis, Jarkarn, Darrien, etc., so a lot of us didn't get what we requested.
    PCNA
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Part of the reason I'm focused on it is because I know very little about their backgrounds. So, I can't really comment on their personalities too much. Other than to say I don't even know how to picture "Doc Brown meets Willy Wonka."
    Aye, as I told Syldras earlier here, I think, the description they used for the redguard is weird. Not sure how his personality is going to be.
    The other reason is that they first told us that if they didn't add romance options it would be a "huge miss" and that is an upcoming feature of companions back during Blackwood's launch. Now High Isle has come and gone and there is still no romance option. I know it would be too late for Necrom, but perhaps it's something that could be added in the Q3 or Q4 for 2023. If not, at least I would hope it's something they'd look into for 2024. That's a pretty long wait for a teased feature.

So, I want the devs to know when I give companion feedback that it is still a feature that I'm interested in. Kevin mentioned that they are looking at this thread to see how we feel about the new companions. So, I want to discuss not just what I imagine their personality might be like, but also want to imagine how they are suited to a romance option.
    Agree they should've at least given us some comment about the romance by now, because they did say they were planning to add it yet here we are, and not a peep.

Yes, a lot of people have requested an argonian. Like it appeared in almost all companions requests. People were also interested in a redguard, though most suggested warden or necromancer one.
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well there were a LOT of requests for a handsome human or high elf along the lines of Verandis, Jarkarn, Darrien, etc., so a lot of us didn't get what we requested.

Well you said it yourself earlier, you do find Azandar attractive, regardless of his age. So we did technically get a "handsome" human too.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you said it yourself earlier, you do find Azandar attractive, regardless of his age. So we did technically get a "handsome" human too.

I also said "fatherly" would feel creepy to romance.
    PCNA
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bethesda, Bethesda,
    Make me a match
    Find me a find,
    Catch me a catch.

Bethesda, Bethesda,
    Look through your toons,
    And make me a perfect match!

This is delightful.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree they should've at least given us some comment about the romance by now, because they did say they were planning to add it yet here we are, and not a peep.

They did give us this statement back in August of last year, don't know if you caught it.
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hey all, so we don't have an update to share right now on this feature. It is still something the team is looking at, but nothing beyond that to announce at this time.

We'll also note the dev team does have feedback from players voicing their interest in having romance options for companions.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7681817/#Comment_7681817
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 28, 2023 1:24AM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would definitely pass on a Jakarn-like character! :confounded: Now a character like Count Verandis would be amazing — and we need a male Altmer companion, especially as we’ll now have two human males.

I’m not complaining, I like several of the existing companions, and I’m looking forward to meeting the new ones, they sound interesting, especially the Argonian! :)
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And clumsy. He seems uncoordinated and not very confident. But, I mean, yeh, we're not getting romance yet, so it really doesn't matter. They've got a little more time to cook us up a DarienTwilightVerandisVampire or an AlistairfromDragonAge. :o
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the caveat that I am indifferent about romance options, I do actually think Bastian gets a bad rap. He's a fairly endearing friend and companion to one of my alts, even though I don't head canon them as a couple.

I also have a theory about why the developers may have assumed that people would find him appealing. He looks a bit like Prefect Calo, and do we not all remember the flood of "Prefect Calo is my boyfriend" posts during the year Elsweyr was released?

Now, in my personal opinion, Bastian does not quite measure up to Calo, but there's a strong enough likeness that it seems quite likely that there was some intention to give us something similar. Particularly when you consider the timing... by the time Elsweyr was released, Greymoor was no doubt under way, but over that following year, they would have been looking ahead to Blackwood (and the first companions).

Mind you, I think part of the issue with Bastian is his voice. Not to say that the voice acting is bad, per se; but the voice is ... not necessarily the most attractive to everyone? And voices are important. For example, for years, I could never understand all the love for Verandis. But then they changed the voice actor, and now I totally get it.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Bastian :*

And Isobel B)

<3
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. A well-written character is the most important. But I admit, I do want romance, and even if romance was added, it's still the characterisation and the writing that matters. I think most would agree. Even though the OP talks about looks, I think the context is more the presentation rather than the purely physical aspect. SilverBride often talks about personality: flirty Jakarn, "goody-two-shoes" (their words, and I disagree) Bastian, fatherly Azander etc.

(Sidenote to ZOS, "flirty" is creepy to a lot of us, please don't go there).
    wilykcat wrote: »
    The original discussion is about the new lizard companions being added and not about the romantic relationships nonsense.

We need a mod to remove a few of these post. Lots of the post in this discussion are derailing, off topic, and a few are inappropriate.

Actually the subtext of the OP was about romance. SilverBride has long said they wanted a handsome male companion to potentially romance.