Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

The new Companions are both Male, but...

• SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm really stoked for these two. They seem perfect. <3 Daddy Redguard <3 and <3 Bad Boy Outlaw <3 . ZOS nailin it with the companion characters
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    (I've always said my characters in most games cannot be me regardless of how they look because they do things I would never do, top of the list being killing people. If they were me they'd have to stay in town and be one of the merchants selling stuff to the adventurers. If those idiots want to go out and get themselves killed that's their problem but I'd stay well away from all that.)

There are a few similarities between my main and me, to be honest. Just not the murderous things :D Still, I don't see him as an extention of myself, and I have a whole bunch of alt characters that are completely different and live lifes I wouldn't even want to live (be it the ugly Breton necromancer or the old widower who decides to travel again after his two daughters became adults and left home - which doesn't sound that bad, yes, but still it's nothing I'd want in real life).
    Kallykat wrote: »
    *Moves Lovecraft to the top of the "To-Read" list*

I can indeed imagine that this chapter will be riddled with Lovecraft allusions (even the name "Shadow over Morrowind" is one, to "Shadow over Innsmouth") and might be more enjoyable for players who recognize the backgrounds. Lovecraft's stories are mostly about scholarly people who find horrible ancient things on their pursuit of knowledge, be it because of finding some unusual book, exploring ancient ruins, or even by inheriting things from relatives who passed away (be it a strange letter they want to find out more about, or a weird artefact of some kind). A common theme is ancient evil being hidden in the deep, beneath ruins, and accidentially being unearthed. Or weird godlike creatures of the past and strange hidden cults worshipping them. Or necromancy and summonings of all kind. Still, it's a subtle kind of eerieness most of the time. I think it fits the whole Telvanni, Dunmer Temple and Hermaeus Mora theme very well, although I'm wondering if they get the tone right. Also, Lovecraftian stories know no real heroes. The opposite, the protagonists digging too deep normally ends horribly, either with death or with going insane because their mind can't handle the truth they found. While ESO is mostly heroic fantasies about saving the world. Let's say I'm really curious what ZOS makes of the theme. And reading Lovecraft's stories can't hurt either. Keep in mind they're a bit "dated" in a way, but they are about 100 years old, so of course that shows.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    I would never want to romance digital bits.

I wouldn't want that too. But some of my characters might want. It's called roleplay, you know? ;)

I am not saying what others should want of course, but romancing a digital character is still the player romancing a digital character.

I disagree. For many of us, the companion system, and any romance system we are requesting, is not about playing out some kind of vicarious relationship or crafting a self-insert. It is, instead, about crafting a story we would like to tell with characters that interest us. Certainly, personal tastes might play into it to a certain degree, but that's more a matter of who we see our characters liking and wanting. Everyone likes what they like, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are inserting themselves into the scenario.

This is also why I hope we get a deeper friendship system, rather than just a romance system. I would like to deepen friendships between characters and companions I see as friends. These platonic relationships are just as important to me as any potential romance.
    I'm wondering if some people might not understand that for some, it's possible to enjoy stories that are about protagonists that are completely different to themselves, that have a different character, a diffent life, different interests. When it comes to books or movies, I don't need them to be focused on a person who is similar to me. It doesn't even have to be a person I find likeable. It has to be an interesting story, that's all that matters to me.

Plus, I see similarities between roleplaying and acting. An actor that plays a murderer normally does that because he finds the role or the story interesting or challenging to play, not because he'd wish to be a murderer in reality.

You worded this perfectly. I tried to get people to understand this concept during the entire AWA fiasco, when I was attempting to explain that there are people who play the game who quest as though they are authoring a story. There are players who do not see their characters as an extension of who they are, but rather, as creative outlets through which they tell stories entirely separate from their own identity and life. I personally see any upcoming romance system as a tool to further extend the stories of my characters if I so wish (Although I'm now having my doubts about such a system). That's the reason I'm here requesting things I'd like to see.

Yet, I have had a change in perspective over the last few days. While I feel ZOS missed the mark for a lot of people with the new companions, the more my writers brain turns them over in my head, the more I begin thinking of different kinds of stories I'd like to tell with them. From my standpoint, my initial disappointment has changed to excitement, especially for the Argonian, whom I think will be an interesting companion for the Arcanist I plan on creating when the update launches. I still want the romance options I mentioned, and I'm still worried about Willy-Wonka, but not as much as I initially was.

I also have to say, from a story telling standpoint, there are many companions I'd also like to see whom I want as friends for my characters, that I'm sure many would consider "unsuitable" for romance. I really want a Skordo the Knife like Orc to pal around with my characters, for example. I've loved each and every one of his quests, and every time they end, I'm sad he can't stick around. He's one of the characters in this game that just makes me smile, and I'd say I adore him as much as I do Fennorian or any other character I've mentioned here.

In fact, after reading one of your other posts, the more I think about it, the more I start feeling as if a romance system just might not be what I actually want at all. I want more depth to companions, and more quests and stories. But I think, perhaps, romance is such a specific thing based on taste, that it should be left to the players imagination rather than having an experience crafted by ZOS. It will be so hit or miss that it's bound to be anything but what many are imagining it to be. I definitely want more companions that suit many different tastes. But I don't think I want a romance catered by ZOS writers.

Danikat wrote: »
    I'm wondering if some people might not understand that for some, it's possible to enjoy stories that are about protagonists that are completely different to themselves, that have a different character, a diffent life, different interests. When it comes to books or movies, I don't need them to be focused on a person who is similar to me. It doesn't even have to be a person I find likeable. It has to be an interesting story, that's all that matters to me.

Plus, I see similarities between roleplaying and acting. An actor that plays a murderer normally does that because he finds the role or the story interesting or challenging to play, not because he'd wish to be a murderer in reality.

That's definitely a factor in games, it often comes up in topics about whether players make characters of the same gender they are. Some people see their characters as a representation of themselves and therefore want to make characters that either look like them or look how they want to look. Others approach it more like writing a story - they're creating characters to fufil a role and there's no reason they have to look or act like the player, any more than you'd expect everyone in a book to look and act like the author. Some people in the first group seem to find it quite confusing, even distressing, that other people's characters are not necessarily representative of who the player is in real life.

(For some reason this never seems to apply to race or class or anything else, no one finds it strange if you play an elf who shoots lightning from their hands and summons demons even though they probably assume you're a non-magical human in real life. But that elf needs to be the same gender and sometimes age, height, weight, etc. as you or somehow it's weird. Oh, and if you play a khajiit some people will insist on believing you're a furry, but I think that's just trolling.)

I've recently found out some people have a similar attitude to books and movies - they want to imagine themselves as the protagonist and if they can't pick a character to identify with they lose interest. Whereas some other people don't like books written in the first person because they think it's trying to force you to do that. But I'm not sure if either is as common as with games, I suppose it's different when you're controlling the characters actions rather than just watching it.

(I've always said my characters in most games cannot be me regardless of how they look because they do things I would never do, top of the list being killing people. If they were me they'd have to stay in town and be one of the merchants selling stuff to the adventurers. If those idiots want to go out and get themselves killed that's their problem but I'd stay well away from all that.)

Again, perfectly worded. For years I have played male characters, and it seems to boggle the minds of those that are stuck in the mindset that because I am physically female, I must play a female characters. I have comfortably played male protagonists since childhood, and love doing so, because I enjoy their stories. Be it my own characters, or pre-made characters in a single player RPG, it doesn't matter.

I love designing my male characters, and they come in a variety of personalities, orientations, and appearances that are not necessarily an expression of myself.

They don't seem to understand that the character is not supposed to be me, and that I do not need them to be me to connect to them emotionally or enjoy their stories. There seems to be this idea that the character is supposed to be an "Avatar" meant to embody the physical appearance and psychological aspects of the player, when that simply isn't the case.

I definitely have female characters, but they are the same- stories I tell, and craft. Expressions of creativity.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I expected the Argonian healer of some type and Warden class works well. But I didn't expect to see a Redguard, usually a non magic using race, in what looks to be a primarily magic using class. The Argonian healer will be good for some of my stamina characters. But I'm so sure an "adoring fan" like Redguard who fumbles a lot of dex rolls is someone I want hanging around. I'll get them both of course. It'd be nice if we could use them as guests in our homes.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I didn't expect to see a Redguard, usually a non magic using race, in what looks to be a primarily magic using class.

This is exactly the reason why I think they're alluding to Abdul Al-Hazred. I too was wondering why it's no mer character, and suddenly that came to my mind. And other details seem to fit, too.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do think of my characters as extensions of myself, to an extent. When I have to choose if an NPC lives or not I always let them live. And it's definitely present in how I decorate my houses.

As far as companions, my characters value Ember and Isobel as friends, but they also want a life partner. It's nice to have someone to be by their side as they adventure and to share their home and life with. I find this very natural and am still patiently waiting for that special someone to come along.
    PCNA
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have recently removed some posts that were off-topic from this thread discussion. This is a friendly reminder to please keep the conversation constructive and relevant to the forum topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to add that I want both the Companion and the Houseguest version of the Companion to behave as my romantic partner. Especially since the Houseguest is the only one that can come inside my houses.
    PCNA
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to add that I want both the Companion and the Houseguest version of the Companion to behave as my romantic partner. Especially since the Houseguest is the only one that can come inside my houses.

They could be a different type of romantic companion we meet out in the world and get to know, say at the tavern or doing TOT or another activity and don't adventure with you like the current companions but eventually move into your home.
    Another idea would be to let the players create their own perfect romance companion in the character creator so they get it how they like but get voice acting added after in the characters racial style.
    Edited by TheImperfect on February 3, 2023 1:29AM
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could be a different type of romantic companion we meet out in the world and get to know, say at the tavern or doing TOT or another activity and don't adventure with you like the current companions but eventually move into your home.

I think it's important for the character to develop a rapport with their partner first, either through adventuring with them, or through lengthy quests, like with Naryu or Darien. Having our adventuring companion works well because we have already been through so much with them and have built up a deep level of trust with them.

I would also want my romantic companion to adventure with me. This was one of the first things I modded with Skyrim, and is an essential mod for me.

Also, no offence, but the tavern is literally the last place I would want my character to meet her romantic interest.
    Edited by BretonMage on February 3, 2023 2:54AM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. Well, I met my husband of nearly 50 years in a bar....

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Hmm. Well, I met my husband of nearly 50 years in a bar....

That's great for you. Tamriel is not Earth, though. And I'm sure the bars these days are not equivalent to what they were 50 years ago. But that is a totally different topic.
  • Stefirex
    Stefirex
    ✭✭✭
    Androrix wrote: »
    Bethesda, Bethesda,
    Make me a match
    Find me a find,
    Catch me a catch.

Bethesda, Bethesda,
    Look through your toons,
    And make me a perfect match!

Tevya is turning in his grave. :D
  • Braggar
    Braggar
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are an Argonian Warden and an older Redguard Arcanist...

:/:'(

Had this thought. Once ZOS develope new companions, they could let us choose the sex, and age before we activate them. That cause more work for ZOS. But it could be a compromise for anyone. Ah well just a idea.....
  • Kappachi
    Kappachi
    ✭✭✭✭
    And? Last year they were both females.

SilverBride wanted someone like Jakarn for a companion if I recall correctly.

Yes, or someone like Count Verandis Ravenwatch.

On this note, regardless of gender/class/etc, give us a Vampire & a Werewolf companion, and maybe during like the max rapport story section of both of those companions they'd offer to turn us into either a vampire/werewolf, they'd also have werewolf/vampire abilities in combat in addition to whatever class they had, or like someone else said in addition to that let us create our own companions at some point and include that as one of the options (only unlocked stuff, so have to have at least had one maxed out vampire/werewolf perhaps & can be any class you have permanent access to, etc)
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Another idea would be to let the players create their own perfect romance companion in the character creator so they get it how they like but get voice acting added after in the characters racial style.

I like this idea. There could be a system where you choose a personality for the companion, where they have several voice acting choices and personality options for the companion. I'd prefer a companion to be able to join my character adventures though, and fight at their side, rather than be an accessory for the home.
    Legends never die
    Legends never die
  • Crown_of_Antlers
    Crown_of_Antlers
    ✭✭✭

I like this idea. There could be a system where you choose a personality for the companion, where they have several voice acting choices and personality options for the companion. I'd prefer a companion to be able to join my character adventures though, and fight at their side, rather than be an accessory for the home.

This is the sort of thing I would like to see. I completely understand that it's far easier for the developers to give us "already made" companions, but in a perfect world I'd like a way to import the appearance/voice of one of our alts onto a companion template.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This is the sort of thing I would like to see. I completely understand that it's far easier for the developers to give us "already made" companions, but in a perfect world I'd like a way to import the appearance/voice of one of our alts onto a companion template.

I'd love this as well. In all honesty, I'd even like a system where there is no voice acting at all, but the player instead gets to write their own dialouge and story for the companion. Then people could create companions for more than just romance. Even if it would just be text based, it would still be fun.
    Legends never die
    Legends never die
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that the companions are their own characters. I only wish they were developed further, with more lines and better conditional triggers, and more interactions with them. Otherwise what is the point of an NPC companion? You can imagine whatever you want, even write fan fiction (not knocking either as I’ve done both and I created one of my characters as the partner of another, inspired by one of the side quest stories), but I don’t see the point of a blank slate ”companion.”
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This discussion is still going? 😆

I'd love this as well. In all honesty, I'd even like a system where there is no voice acting at all, but the player instead gets to write their own dialouge and story for the companion. Then people could create companions for more than just romance. Even if it would just be text based, it would still be fun.

I agree.
    The companion template system is a very good idea.
    Edited by wilykcat on February 10, 2023 2:42PM
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoping they'll add a young male Altmer companion eventually. Don't really care about class but spellcaster would be cool.
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I would prefer both female comps
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SilverWF wrote: »

I wasn't indicating that I preferred females. I was indicating that I wanted males but wanted them to be possible romantic interests. A lizard and an eccentric older fatherly type weren't what I had in mind.
    PCNA
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Both of last year’s companions were female, so it’s good that we have variety in gender, race, and personality. But I do hope with others who posted here that we eventually get a handsome well-voiced well-written male Altmer companion like Verandis! Altmer in general are neglected — we STILL don’t have a single Altmer houseguest or assistant!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...I do hope with others who posted here that we eventually get a handsome well-voiced well-written male Altmer companion like Verandis!

We can only hope!

<3 Verandis <3
    PCNA
  • SatanicSister
    SatanicSister
    ✭✭✭

Both of last year’s companions were female, so it’s good that we have variety in gender, race, and personality. But I do hope with others who posted here that we eventually get a handsome well-voiced well-written male Altmer companion like Verandis! Altmer in general are neglected — we STILL don’t have a single Altmer houseguest or assistant!

I do like Verandis but I'd like to have Fenn even more.
    "If we are going to play the waiting game, the guy who has been around for 10000 years is going to win."
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Verandis is my ideal, but I would love Fenn too. :relaxed:
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Is Mirri older? I don't think she's particularly older.

I don't care much about romance myself, since romances in games are about as deep as parking lot puddles, but I know they're important to some.

“Your eyes are as lovely as muddy puddles.”
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Someone earlier in the thread was wondering what will happen after all of the classes are represented in-game by a companion. My theory has always been that that will be when ZOS can start selling companions in the crown store because then crown store companions would only be different cosmetically from companions obtained in the game by other means so no one could accuse them of being pay-to-win. My next theory is that the first crown store companion will be named Berandis and he will be a darkly handsome Altmer vampire for 5,000 crowns 🧛‍♂️
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Verandis is my ideal, but I would love Fenn too. :relaxed:

They're both great, but as someone who's also hoping for a romanceable Altmer, I'm hoping my romantic interest would not see me as a potential meal :D:#