Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

The new Companions are both Male, but...

• BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me I don’t need to “romance” my companions, but I would like a thematic connection to my existing ones.

For example:

iajgunw20p0e.png

Mirri happened to look very similar to an existing character I had, so I dressed them up the same. Like they were sisters.

ui20unds8i74.png

For Ember, while they don't look alike, I love to think they come from the same order.

Now for the redguard, he may work with my high elf or Breton sorcs, possibly.

For the argonian I am scratching my head a bit. I will figure it out.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    What somehow irks me a bit is that the Redguard arcanist was described as a mix between Dumbledore and Willy Wonka. I mean, I'm not against a tad of eccentricity, but I'm afraid this will be over the top weird. Can't we just get a more or less "normal" scholar some day? I can live with Telvanni level weirdness, but I dislike comiclike stereotypes. No, I won't judge yet, because we don't know much about the new companions yet. But the description of him didn't sound really appealing to me so far.
    This irked me too, and of course makes me worried of the characters' charactersation, especially after how the High Isle ones were and characters in general was there. They used a lot of descriptions in the stream that made me feel more worried over how they will be than excite me or prove that their writing has improved. I will of course wait and see to make up my mind about the companion but that description did not do them any favours.
    TiaFrye wrote: »
    When we said we want companion guys we ment that we potentially want some steamy action with them in our heads. Ah, things we lost in translation...

Well, I'd prefer an eloquent scholarly mer companion for scientific discourses. The usual things. We could discuss concepts like chronomancy, thaumavocalism or tonal architecture, the disappearance of the Dwemer or the Coldharbour Compact. While bathing.
    Indeed, we all have different taste. I for one think sitting in silence and contemplate the future with Sharp-As-Night can sound rather pleasant. Silent contemplation while bathing together that is of course.
    amig186 wrote: »
    Good, now that the sex ratio is balanced, next year they can add a ruggedly handsome Nord man for the ladies and an Altmer *** for the blokes.

Ok I did not expect it to censor that word. It's a 4 letter acronym that starts with M and ends with F.

Something something different taste in attraction, something not everyone is straight.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amapola76 wrote: »
    BretonMage wrote: »
    I love the sound of the Argonian's personality, and I find the description of the Arcanist companion a bit bizarre. If you spent your life searching for knowledge, wouldn't you be more serious and reflective? Or on the other side of the spectrum, somber and disturbing.

As someone with a couple of advanced degrees, I would have to say "lol" and "no."

While we may know people in real life who are smart and offbeat, it's hard to pull off nuance in a game. And the short reveal they had of him made him look like a clown, which I don't think is flattering. Ymmv of course.
    Edited by BretonMage on January 27, 2023 1:42AM
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really feel comfortable with the idea of adding in romantic relationships into the game. If it did become an option in the game there should be a "disable/enable romantic relationship" checkbox. Otherwise romance isn't an important feature for me either.

I also agree with the last sentence of
    Ugrak wrote: »
    Romance isn't an important feature for me, though I would use it if it enabled the ring of mara between me and the companion.

Something that would be interesting however: companions that are werewolves or vampires (and maybe even able to bite?).
    this player's post. There needs to be more variety of monster companions as well.

If I were going to get a companion in this game it would be a vicious monstrous bodyguard that is a werewolf(made from fire magic) who only protects me from the most elite enemies but otherwise does nothing . No kind of relationships what so ever and who is without a backstory. I'm a newer player who is more into playing the game for fun and not so much for the lore. I like this game so far.

Is having a companion a required part of this game or is that part of the game optional? Are there other monster companions besides the kahjiit and lizard people?

This is the best response I came up with for this discussion. :smile:

• Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again no romance system and some generic stand in character instead of characters we already know. Would much rather have Naryu, Razum-Dar following me around over random lizard and Redguard.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wilykcat wrote: »
    I don't really feel comfortable with the idea of adding in romantic relationships into the game. If it did become an option in the game there should be a "disable/enable romantic relationship" checkbox. Otherwise romance isn't an important feature for me either.

Romance isn't an important feature for me, though I would use it if it enabled the ring of mara between me and the companion.

Something that would be interesting however: companions that are werewolves or vampires (and maybe even able to bite?).
    this player's post. There needs to be more variety of monster companions as well.

If I were going to get a companion in this game it would be a vicious monstrous bodyguard that is a werewolf(made from fire magic) who only protects me from the most elite enemies but otherwise does nothing . No kind of relationships what so ever and who is without a backstory. I'm a newer player who is more into playing the game for fun and not so much for the lore. I like this game so far.

Is having a companion a required part of this game or is that part of the game optional? Are there other monster companions besides the kahjiit and lizard people?

Companions are completely optional. I don't use them at all, have zero interest in them, refuse to mess with the grind to level them; I've never played with companions in any game going back to those I played in the mid 80s.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to say that I'm really looking forward to seeing the two new companions. I'll likely level up the argonian Warden first, then the redguard Arcanist second.

I remember last year when some of us thought we were getting a Warden and a Necromancer companion in the 2023 Chapter. We couldn't have expected a new Class to be added! This marks the first time a companion is of the Class introduced in the same Chapter, and the first time companions are of a DLC Class.

I really do want to see a werewolf companion at some point. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Argonian Warden might secretly be one, but I'll have to wait and see. A while back, folks speculated that the future Warden would be a werewolf and the future Necromancer would be a vampire, but only through their class Ultimates.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the thing with giving people what is currently popular you are increasing its popularity but if you throw in lots of Argonian related cool things and zones then their popularity will grow also.,I do think lots of people like them already, me included. Sometimes limiting things decreases it's popularity.

My thoughts about the Argonian companion have nothing to do with whether or not I like Argonians in general. But I had really hoped for a companion I could have a romance with, and a reptile isn't it.
    PCNA
  • ElvenOverlord
    ElvenOverlord
    ✭✭✭✭

Cireous wrote: »
    They're just not romance material. Good thing they didn't add romance, I guess. :'(

:'(

Speak for yourself I'm into scaly dudes and insane old men with powers from a realm of oblivion.
  • ElvenOverlord
    ElvenOverlord
    ✭✭✭✭
    And? Last year they were both females.

SilverBride wanted someone like Jakarn for a companion if I recall correctly.

I don't agree with established characters just palling around with us all the time. That's a role that's beneath them. I prefer to think of them out in the world leaving their imprint. Naryu is a Morag Tong assassin she don't have time to pal around with the player all over place. They have their own lives, responsibilities, and adventures that doesn't revolve around the player.
    Edited by ElvenOverlord on January 27, 2023 2:09AM
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Romance in an RPG is almost always opt-in and player-instigated, otherwise it would be extremely creepy. Or are you saying you don't even want the dialogue choice to appear?

If they do include romance in ESO, I hope it is without bonuses, because we are already getting players who complain about needing to use companions to get an achievement. I shudder to think about the complaints if there were bonuses tied to romance.
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

Companions are completely optional. I don't use them at all, have zero interest in them, refuse to mess with the grind to level them; I've never played with companions in any game going back to those I played in the mid 80s.

Thank you for your information to help me better understand this game :smile: I'm glad that now I know that companions are optional.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Companions are fully optional, and I'm sure that romance will be too. The only thing which could get annoying would be "romantic" dialogue appearing when reaching a certain disposition level, without an option to disable it. A simple dialogue option to say "Not interested" would be enough. I hope they consider that (actually I'd say it's obvious to include such an option, but when I consider all that annoying flirting in High Isle...).
    Fata1moose wrote: »
    Again no romance system and some generic stand in character instead of characters we already know. Would much rather have Naryu, Razum-Dar following me around over random lizard and Redguard.

I'm neither interested in Naryu nor Razum-dar, but I think turning known characters from older stories into companions wouldn't be the worst idea. There's already a kind emotional attachment to some npcs after completing different quests with them over the last years. Oh, and one important factor is that it has to fit their personality and background story, of course.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • RisenEclipse
    RisenEclipse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want my evil smexy necromancer male companion :'( gimme!
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This irked me too, and of course makes me worried of the characters' charactersation, especially after how the High Isle ones were and characters in general was there. They used a lot of descriptions in the stream that made me feel more worried over how they will be than excite me or prove that their writing has improved. I will of course wait and see to make up my mind about the companion but that description did not do them any favours.

I'm too lazy to search for that part in the video again now, but I think as their sources of inspiration they listed movies, comics, anime, even memes or pop-culture refences or so? And I think at one point they also added "classic literature" - at last. So I think I know what their priorities are (and the literature part might be referring to their H. P. Lovecraft inspirations only)... I can understand in a way that most people nowadays feel closer to internet memes, comics and Hollywood movies than to novels from ages ago, but many popular pieces of media (except for some exceptions that can become classics, which does include anime and comics too - I'm not again modern media per se) aren't merely but entertainment fastfood to be consumed and then forgotten. Mass products, often relying on extreme stereotypes so - I'm sorry for being that direct - even the most simple person will understand them at first glance without even having to think much. Not exactly what I consider the best thing to strive after if one wants to write a really outstanding story or character.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amig186 wrote: »
    Good, now that the sex ratio is balanced, next year they can add a ruggedly handsome Nord man for the ladies and an Altmer *** for the blokes.

Ok I did not expect it to censor that word. It's a 4 letter acronym that starts with M and ends with F.

Something something different taste in attraction, something not everyone is straight.

You don't say.
    And? Last year they were both females.

SilverBride wanted someone like Jakarn for a companion if I recall correctly.

I don't agree with established characters just palling around with us all the time. That's a role that's beneath them. I prefer to think of them out in the world leaving their imprint. Naryu is a Morag Tong assassin she don't have time to pal around with the player all over place. They have their own lives, responsibilities, and adventures that doesn't revolve around the player.

But it's implied that the companions do have their own lives and go on their own adventures when they're not following you, at least with Mirri it was, and to some extent with Ember who apparently still does stuff with her old urchin clique. I see no issue with Naryu or Raz giving you a hand in their spare time. In SWTOR some of the companions were important plot characters who could not have been realistically able to do their jobs if they were constantly following you, but no one cared because it was just awesome to have them as buddies. Characters designed around the purpose of following the player are just not as interesting.
    PC EU
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I found interesting about the High Isle companions is that they will vanish from their spot at the big party if they're following you, and they'll reappear there when you dismiss them. You can even talk to them like you can with all of the other characters in the room, and it makes the companions genuinely feel like they continue living their lives when they're not with you.

However, I don't think this will work with some NPCs who are quest characters in multiple zones. Some NPCs like Jakarn show up in multiple places like Northern Elsweyr and High Isle, so if you had Jakarn as the active companion, would he just not show up to give you that quest in Northern Elsweyr?

I personally really enjoyed some of the companion stories so far. I've played through all of the Blackwood and High Isle companion stories, and I honestly wish we had more. It'd be nice if we could unlock more quests for our existing companions in future DLCs, so we'd care more about the characters we can have by our side.
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would have preferred a female lizard.

I imagine they might have made them both male in response to the backlash from both companions being female last time.
    I didn't mind that, personally, but I understand why it bothered folks.

But the fact that neither of these is female means it's unlikely that I will unlock either of them.

They need to make the Companion system more customizable.
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • Syldras
      Syldras
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      However, I don't think this will work with some NPCs who are quest characters in multiple zones. Some NPCs like Jakarn show up in multiple places like Northern Elsweyr and High Isle, so if you had Jakarn as the active companion, would he just not show up to give you that quest in Northern Elsweyr?

I've realized the npcs disappearing then too. Of course this would be a problem if players could miss quests then. Maybe it should be the other way around and the companion should be automatically unsummoned if we get close to a spot where that character is presents as a quest npc?
      Grizzbeorn wrote: »
      They need to make the Companion system more customizable.

They want them to be distinctive personalities with their own story, though, the way their writers intended them. I, personally, can live with that very well, even if it means that they have aspects about them that don't completely conform to my personal taste.

Edited by Syldras on January 27, 2023 9:35AM
      @Syldras | PC | EU
    • Einar_Hrafnarsson
      Einar_Hrafnarsson
      ✭✭✭✭
      ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
      Hi All! We've been keeping tabs on this thread for companion thoughts and feedback. So thanks for all who have contributed so far and for @SilverBride for starting it up.

As noted in some threads around companions last year, we're keeping track and taking the feedback noted back to the dev team. As some of you have noted, one of the most requested elements of adding new companions was to even out the ratio with two male companions, which we were able to do in Necrom. While we know not everyone was going to get the companion archetype they hoped for, we hope some of you enjoy your time with Sharp-As-Night and Azandar Al-Cybiades.

We'll have some opportunities to learn more about your new companions in the coming weeks and months, but definitely continue your feedback here and we'll keep an eye on it here.

I for one was very surprised we didnt get a female High Elf. They are the most popular and most played Race according to your own Data.

Personally i have absolute 0 interest in Argonians since 80% of this races Story evolves around being enslaved, Redguards would be fine but i dont need a Grandpa in my Team.

Guess ill still stay with Mirri. Shes the most convinient.
    • Kallykat
      Kallykat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      As I didn't have super-specific requests for these companions, I'm satisfied with two males of different races and classes than what we had previously. I'm interested in learning more about their personalities. I think it's nice that they made one a little more serious and stoic and the other more eccentric and (presumably) more talkative. Hopefully the Argonian will speak to the needs of those who get annoyed by constant companion chitchat.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about any future romance system. I don't see why all our companion options have to be potential romantic interests. (Not that these two aren't romanceable for someone--there's a lid for every pot.) If I want to imagine that kind of relationship between my characters and their companions, I'm happy to just head cannon it for the time being. I look forward to trying out an older companion who can have a different dynamic with my characters.

I also prefer having new characters for companions as opposed to previously-known NPCs. I like getting to know the new companions and learning their stories.
    • Grizzbeorn
      Grizzbeorn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      They want them to be distinctive personalities with their own story, though, the way their writers intended them.

Then they need to give us a bigger variety of choices -- more than just two, once per year.
        PC/NA Warden Main
      • Tandor
        Tandor
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Why would anybody want more companions?

Variety, role-play, etc. Not everything revolves around elite players with a single character playing only endgame PvE or PvP, everyone else benefits from more variety and choice in their gameplay.
      • BretonMage
        BretonMage
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        They want them to be distinctive personalities with their own story, though, the way their writers intended them.

Then they need to give us a bigger variety of choices -- more than just two, once per year.

I hope they will go back and record more dialogue for existing companions if they do so. That will widen the choices available. It would also be the perfect opportunity to demonstrate some character growth for our companions.
      • Syldras
        Syldras
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree.
        Kallykat wrote: »
        Personally, I have mixed feelings about any future romance system. I don't see why all our companion options have to be potential romantic interests. (Not that these two aren't romanceable for someone--there's a lid for every pot.) If I want to imagine that kind of relationship between my characters and their companions, I'm happy to just head cannon it for the time being. I look forward to trying out an older companion who can have a different dynamic with my characters.

As long as it's optional... I think it's good to give players all kinds of different companions to choose from, also characters I personally would never care for because they don't fit to the characters I play at all. But, I mean, there are people who are playing Argonians and who might be happy they'll get a romanceable Argonian companion for their character, for example. Or some players, no matter their age in real life, might want to play an older character and have a companion about the same age for them. The more variety, the better, in my opinion.
        @Syldras | PC | EU
      • ADarklore
        ADarklore
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I want my evil smexy necromancer male companion :'( gimme!

YES!! and please, no racking up bounties when companion uses their necro skills!!!!
        CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
      • Tryxus
        Tryxus
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I was expecting the Warden companion to be Bosmer, Breton or Argonian but since we already have Isobel, Bosmer or Argonian seemed more likely.

So far, I like him. I hope they have given him an interesting backstory that we can explore through his quests, and unravel the mystery behind him :)

"Sorry Isobel, I've got a new travel companion now..."
        "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
        Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
      • AdamLAD
        AdamLAD
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Well, I want a Senche Rhat companion that I can romance or an alfiq if we are on the subject. Heck why not even a mantikora.
      • Bhaalthazar
        Bhaalthazar
        ✭✭
        Personally, gender and race don’t matter to me, but there’s one thing I don’t understand.

Necrom is the City of the Dead, was it too obvious to give us a necromancer?

I do not spit on the new ones, besides the Arcanist tempts me well, at least to discover the class with my main. But the road was paved for a companion focused on the forbidden arts.
      • Syldras
        Syldras
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Necrom is the City of the Dead, was it too obvious to give us a necromancer?

So you expect every cemetery to have its own local necromancing weirdo somewhere?
        AdamLAD wrote: »
        Well, I want a Senche Rhat companion that I can romance or an alfiq if we are on the subject. Heck why not even a mantikora.

Why only one?! YOLO!!!

Edited by Syldras on January 27, 2023 1:54PM
        @Syldras | PC | EU