Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

The new Companions are both Male, but...

• Bhaalthazar
    Bhaalthazar
    ✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Necrom is the City of the Dead, was it too obvious to give us a necromancer?

So you expect every cemetery to have its own local necromancing weirdo somewhere?

Just one would be enough. A necromancer came to do research, steal bodies, bones or other, steal or recover them because he had belonged to him, make experiences, etc.

There can be matter without going into contempt.
    Edited by Bhaalthazar on January 27, 2023 2:18PM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just one would be enough. A necromancer came to do research, steal corpses, bones, make weird experiments, etc.

The thing is, it's the biggest Dunmer cemetery and temple city. As one of the most sacred places of all Dunmerkind (really all, as it has no House affiliation and is a holy place for every Dunmer), it has to be one of the most-guarded places in whole Morrowind.

And stealing corpses or even bones would be difficult too, as Dunmer cremate their dead ("Born from the ashes, returning to the ashes"). It might be possible that some families bring the complete body of a dead relative to Necrom to cremate them there (instead of bringing the ashes inside an urn), that's not totally clear, but I'm sure, in that case the corpse would not be left alone for a second.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just one would be enough. A necromancer came to do research, steal corpses, bones, make weird experiments, etc.

The thing is, it's the biggest Dunmer cemetery and temple city. As one of the most sacred places of all Dunmerkind (really all, as it has no House affiliation and is a holy place for every Dunmer), it has to be one of the most-guarded places in whole Morrowind.

And stealing corpses or even bones would be difficult too, as Dunmer cremate their dead ("Born from the ashes, returning to the ashes"). It might be possible that some families bring the complete body of a dead relative to Necrom to cremate them there (instead of bringing the ashes inside an urn), that's not totally clear, but I'm sure, in that case the corpse would not be left alone for a second.

A necromancer companion would be perfect for a Hammerfell chapter or a chapter in the Pale/Winterhold. The College allows practice of all kinds of magic, and the burying practices of Redguards allows for relatively easy excavation of the deceased and the local Redguards probably won't even stop you much as only the Ash'abah are allowed to fight the dead. I'd love a female altmer necromancer as our next companion.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A necromancer companion would be perfect for a Hammerfell chapter or a chapter in the Pale/Winterhold. The College allows practice of all kinds of magic, and the burying practices of Redguards allows for relatively easy excavation of the deceased and the local Redguards probably won't even stop you much as only the Ash'abah are allowed to fight the dead. I'd love a female altmer necromancer as our next companion.

I totally agree. Although, if I think more of it, ashes wouldn't necessarily stop someone from bringing back the dead, maybe. Just a random thought, as they emphasized so much that this year's content would be quite Lovecraftian: H. P. Lovecraft's Story "The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward" is about the descendant of an alchemist/wizard/necromancer who summons spirits from human ashes (including the very nice quote "The essential salts of animals may be so prepared and preserved, that an ingenious man may have the whole Ark of Noah in his own study, and raise the fine shape of an animal out of its ashes at his pleasure. And by the like method from the essential salts of human dust, a philosopher may, without any criminal necromancy, call up the shape of any dead ancestor from the dust whereinto his body has been incinerated"). Who knows what ZOS had in mind ;) But still I think that Necrom would be too well-guarded, so a necromancer would probably search for a different place (like Redguard burial sites somewhere in the desert).
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Soraka
    Soraka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am so excited for the argonian 🙂
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more variety, the better, in my opinion.

I completely agree and these new companions would have been fine if we also had the types of male companions that many players described wanting in previous threads, too. But so far all the male choices are missing the mark.

I suspect part of the problem is that they actually think of Bastian as our handsome male choice. But most of the feedback shows that he is generally not perceived that way.
    PCNA
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll unlock them like the other four but I'm particular on who I use or spend time with. Not much into argonians though, so, he'll be a slow lvl like ember is with me right now. Think I finally got her to lvl 10.
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amapola76 wrote: »
    My character is an Argonian male, so it would kinda make more sense for him for the new Argonian Companion to be female... I mean it may look kinda um... awkward..
    For pete's sake, no one is going to assume you are intimate with your companion, if that's what you're worried about. No disrespect to those of you who do want to romance your companions, but I don't think that most people assume that companions are there solely for lascivious purposes. And speaking solely for myself, I'm certainly not policing the gender of companions. Like, "oh myyyyyy, two male Argonians, won't someone think of the children?" Come on.

It actually already gets awkward if a (potential) same-sex couple is considered as somehow problematic. In a game where there are plenty.
    https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/LGBTQ+#Online

I'm not sure whether you think we are in disagreement somehow, but my point was simply that no one else cares, or should care, what gender his companion is... regardless of whether it's a romantic or platonic relationship.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amapola76 wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether you think we are in disagreement somehow, but my point was simply that no one else cares, or should care, what gender his companion is... regardless of whether it's a romantic or platonic relationship.

No, don't worry. It was a general statement, as I find it quite strange that some people seem to be afraid someone could think they were gay (or, more precice: playing a gay character; which makes it even weirder, as a game character doesn't necessarily reflect who a person is in real life) just because they have another male npc running around with them.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Khajiit perhaps is old fashioned, or out of touch, but this one cannot help but think that if a thread was posted about how unattractive/unworthy of romance 2 female companions were, this one is reasonably certain folks would completely lose their biscuits.

Just an observation.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
    GM of Imperial Gold Reserve trading guild (started in 2017) since 2/2022
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit perhaps is old fashioned, or out of touch, but this one cannot help but think that if a thread was posted about how unattractive/unworthy of romance 2 female companions were, this one is reasonably certain folks would completely lose their biscuits.

Just an observation.

No one said that the new companions are unworthy of love. But a lizard isn't physically appealing to most people and I would find it creepy to romance a "fatherly" type.
    PCNA
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As most of my characters are Argonian, I'm glad we're finally getting one. Id rather it be a female for the contrast(all my characters are male) and I try to outfit my characters off what I think xanmeer natives would have dresses like. It would have been nice to take a crack at a female version that I would use.
  • Kirawolfe
    Kirawolfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh. A thread complaining that the new companions are not boyfriend material. These forums are an odd place sometimes.

You are speaking for yourself, of course, not everyone. Here's my perspective.

I find Bastian attractive, but he's not really there to be a boyfriend. I also find the Argonian attractive, but that's also not why he's in the game. XD The older Redguard is an interesting fellow, and if your toon is an elf, s/he's probably older than he is anyway. He just *looks* older because he's... not an elf. So the age difference really shouldn't matter, if his inner character appeals.

It's funny how in real life you can look past the surface stuff and see the value of someone in the way they view the world and how they've met the challenges presented to them.

I'm really curious to learn more about these companions and how they've met their own challenges, so Argonian or older Redguard, doesn't change how I feel about them, romantically or not.

That Argonian though... rrowwrr
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kirawolfe wrote: »
    Huh. A thread complaining that the new companions are not boyfriend material. These forums are an odd place sometimes.

You are speaking for yourself, of course, not everyone.

As we all are. But several others in this thread understand my perspective and have similar thoughts and feelings about it.

The older Redguard is an interesting fellow, and if your toon is an elf, s/he's probably older than he is anyway. He just *looks* older because he's... not an elf. So the age difference really shouldn't matter, if his inner character appeals.

He is also described as "fatherly" which is a major deal breaker with me for any romantic interaction.
    Edited by SilverBride on January 27, 2023 7:39PM
    PCNA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just an observation.

There were the same type of comments about Isobel (in particular many people disliked her eyebrows) when she launched. Nobody really talked about Ember, but she's a cat.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 27, 2023 7:36PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are speaking for yourself, of course, not everyone. Here's my perspective.

I find Bastian attractive, but he's not really there to be a boyfriend. I also find the Argonian attractive, but that's also not why he's in the game. XD The older Redguard is an interesting fellow, and if your toon is an elf, s/he's probably older than he is anyway. He just *looks* older because he's... not an elf. So the age difference really shouldn't matter, if his inner character appeals.

It's funny how in real life you can look past the surface stuff and see the value of someone in the way they view the world and how they've met the challenges presented to them.

I'm really curious to learn more about these companions and how they've met their own challenges, so Argonian or older Redguard, doesn't change how I feel about them, romantically or not.

That Argonian though... rrowwrr

I also find Bastian to be quite handsome. He's reasonably attractive IMO. I also think that the Redguard is handsome. I think part of the problem of looking past the companions looks when deciding who would be good fit for romance options (whenever they come out with them) with companions is they could use some fleshing out. All of them need a bit more lore to make a romance system work as more than just "which one is a good looking model to pair off player characters with" narratively speaking.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 27, 2023 7:40PM
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes Yes an argonian but could they SIT DOWN, certainly in your house but also outside? And maybe, just maybe, stay out of the RED????
    Edited by Pelanora on January 27, 2023 8:09PM
  • Araxyte
    Araxyte
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd like a large werewolf boyfriend companion. I do often fantasize howling into a full moon with one another and conducting intermate activities. I would love to experience a romantically-intimate bond with my companion, but I doubt the dev team would go that far.
    | All classes | PC EU |
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What on Earth am I reading? Hell no do I want the game reduced and sullied by adding "romance" options in-game, let alone with NPCS. It's a weird fantasy imo and it feels really wrong. There are other MMORPGS out there that facilitate to this, as well as some 'other places'.
    <snip>

<snipped for Baiting/Trolling>

Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on January 27, 2023 9:14PM
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    <snipped - removed quote>

Weird take. Not sure how adding optional content reduces or sullies anything. Romances are very popular in RPG games, and to the extent this game has a lot of RPG features (with even more emphasis on RPG than many other MMOs) I'm not sure what the issue is.
    Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on January 27, 2023 9:23PM
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would anybody want more companions?

variety is the spice of life.. and also maybe they just haven't made a companion that quite knocks it out of the park for them yet.

There's not a companion yet that I feel is a perfect match for my characters, but neither of these two seem like what I was looking for either.
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The original discussion is about the new lizard companions being added and not about the romantic relationships nonsense.

We need a mod to remove a few of these post. Lots of the post in this discussion are derailing, off topic, and a few are inappropriate.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wilykcat wrote: »
    The original discussion is about the new lizard companions being added and not about the romantic relationships nonsense.

We need a mod to remove a few of these post. Lots of the post in this discussion are derailing, off topic, and a few are inappropriate.

Agreed.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arato wrote: »
    Why would anybody want more companions?

variety is the spice of life.. and also maybe they just haven't made a companion that quite knocks it out of the park for them yet.

There's not a companion yet that I feel is a perfect match for my characters, but neither of these two seem like what I was looking for either.

I haven't even had a first base play yet, let alone been knocked out of the park. :D
    Edited by SilverBride on January 27, 2023 9:57PM
    PCNA
  • Bat
    Bat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azandar is a dream daddy though :p
    Edited by Bat on January 27, 2023 9:58PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since we are discussing them we should take a look. I do find Azandar attractive, older or not, but the fatherly thing is what is bothering me.

Redguard Arcanist Azandar Al-Cybiades and Argonian Warden Sharp-As-Night

vg6i2iii1d4g.jpg
    PCNA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if he's a fatherly figure towards the Vestige or towards someone else.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I find 2 Necrom ones good looking
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since we are discussing them we should take a look. I do find Azandar attractive, older or not, but the fatherly thing is what is bothering me.

vg6i2iii1d4g.jpg

Is Al-Cybiades wearing psijic armor? And that color is interesting….
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

vg6i2iii1d4g.jpg

Is Al-Cybiades wearing psijic armor? And that color is interesting….

No. That's the Sapiarch style. I'm unsure of the dye used.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 27, 2023 10:19PM