Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

The new Companions are both Male, but...

SilverBride
SilverBride
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
They are an Argonian Warden and an older Redguard Arcanist...

:/:'(
PCNA
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see that as a problem.
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    And? Last year they were both females.
  • Monte_Cristo
    Monte_Cristo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was expecting an argonian and an elf, both male, warden and necromancer. Guess I was close.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least the older one is handsome.
  • Shihp00
    Shihp00
    ✭✭✭
    Wish we could create our own companions or at least let us choose their gender. I want all of my companions to be female :D
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why would anybody want more companions?
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

SilverBride wanted someone like Jakarn for a companion if I recall correctly.
    Edited by chessalavakia_ESO on January 26, 2023 2:19AM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess, based on the title, is that the OP is happy with them both being male, but disappointed that they are an older Redguard Arcanist and an Argonian Warden.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally prefer mer, so I somehow had hoped for an male Altmer necromancer or male Bosmer warden (as another Dunmer wasn't to be expected because we already have Mirri).

What somehow irks me a bit is that the Redguard arcanist was described as a mix between Dumbledore and Willy Wonka. I mean, I'm not against a tad of eccentricity, but I'm afraid this will be over the top weird. Can't we just get a more or less "normal" scholar some day? I can live with Telvanni level weirdness, but I dislike comiclike stereotypes. No, I won't judge yet, because we don't know much about the new companions yet. But the description of him didn't sound really appealing to me so far.

Edited by Syldras on January 26, 2023 2:27AM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, or someone like Count Verandis Ravenwatch.
    PCNA
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    My guess, based on the title, is that the OP is happy with them both being male, but disappointed that they are an older Redguard Arcanist and an Argonian Warden.

That is correct. But as you pointed out, at least the older one is handsome.
    PCNA
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the sound of the Argonian's personality, and I find the description of the Arcanist companion a bit bizarre. If you spent your life searching for knowledge, wouldn't you be more serious and reflective? Or on the other side of the spectrum, somber and disturbing. The Arcanist sounds more like an eccentric tinkerer, rather than a sage.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, or someone like Count Verandis Ravenwatch.

Let's hope 2024 will be the year of a romanceable sophisticated male Altmer.
  • Cendrillion21
    Cendrillion21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look forward to leveling them both.
    Campos de oro
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    If you spent your life searching for knowledge, wouldn't you be more serious and reflective.

For some reason Nikola Tesla comes to mind.
    PCNA
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the sound of the Argonian's personality, and I find the description of the Arcanist companion a bit bizarre. If you spent your life searching for knowledge, wouldn't you be more serious and reflective? Or on the other side of the spectrum, somber and disturbing. The Arcanist sounds more like an eccentric tinkerer, rather than a sage.

Maybe already pushed over the brink of insanity.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am interested in the redguard one. Bastian will get a friend
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »

He's supposed to be fatherly and a mentor, so he's not unstable. Hopefully.
  • Kallykat
    Kallykat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just glad we have more male companions now and that they didn't feel obligated to give us another Dunmer just because we're in Morrowind.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A fatherly Willy Wonka?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A fatherly Willy Wonka?

Or Dumbledore :)

I'm sure I'll end up adoring him. Depending on the writing and the voice acting, of course.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm disappointed as well. I too was wanting someone more like Count Verandis or Jakarn, or maybe even someone like Fennorian. I can only hope these two are interesting storywise and don't fall flat in that department.

I'm not really a fan of Argonians, but so far, the Argonian is sounding more interesting personality wise. Since I don't like Willy Wonka or Dumbledore, and I'm not looking for a father figure for any of my characters, I feel like the Redguard companion is going to be a miss for me. I hope his comedic side proves me wrong however.

I genuinely want to like these new companions, so I'm holding out hope that something about them will capture my interest.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure I'll end up adoring him. Depending on the writing and the voice acting, of course.

Willy Wonka creeped me out when I was a kid. Not sure if I'd find that calming then :D
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Willy Wonka creeped me out when I was a kid. Not sure if I'd find that calming then :D

Yeah, I was a little confused when you said a "fatherly Willy Wonka"! I mean, yes, he is sort of fatherly, in a sinister, "if you don't do your homework, I'll banish you to the wolf pit" way.
  • Jusey1
    Jusey1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Argonian Warden? I am pleased. He will become my best friend.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're just not romance material. Good thing they didn't add romance, I guess. :'(
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cireous wrote: »
    They're just not romance material. Good thing they didn't add romance, I guess. :'(

:'(
    PCNA
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have preferred a female lizard.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I was a little confused when you said a "fatherly Willy Wonka"! I mean, yes, he is sort of fatherly, in a sinister, "if you don't do your homework, I'll banish you to the wolf pit" way.

It was a question from my side. Because you said he'd be fatherly and ZOS had described him as being like Willy Wonka. And that doesn't seem to fit for me, somehow.

Anyway, I'm wondering if they'll continue in the same pace, with 2 companions each year. If they want to introduce romance it could probably get difficult then. Not enough variety.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a question from my side. Because you said he'd be fatherly and ZOS had described him as being like Willy Wonka. And that doesn't seem to fit for me, somehow.

Actually, ZOS described him as a "crazy fatherly figure professor". Maybe Willy Wonka is the "crazy" part.