Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

The new Companions are both Male, but...

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    Actually, ZOS described him as a "crazy fatherly figure professor". Maybe Willy Wonka is the "crazy" part.

"Friendly crazy" seems okay to me. "Homicidal crazy" not so much. We'll see, I guess.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why would anybody want more companions?
    The more companions we have running around, the smaller the "clone" effect.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And? Last year they were both females.

SilverBride wanted someone like Jakarn for a companion if I recall correctly.

Only if we could kill him.
  • TiaFrye
    TiaFrye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When we said we want companion guys we ment that we potentially want some steamy action with them in our heads. Ah, things we lost in translation...
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pelanora wrote: »

Only if we could kill him.

Hard agree.

I'm extremely happy with an Argonian companion, tho I do wish the other was a High Elf (not like Vanus tho :s ) or maybe an Orc like Urag gro-Shub from the College of Winterhold in Skyrim. Haven't we had enough humans?
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TiaFrye wrote: »
    When we said we want companion guys we ment that we potentially want some steamy action with them in our heads. Ah, things we lost in translation...

Well, I'd prefer an eloquent scholarly mer companion for scientific discourses. The usual things. We could discuss concepts like chronomancy, thaumavocalism or tonal architecture, the disappearance of the Dwemer or the Coldharbour Compact. While bathing.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Or Dumbledore :)
    I'm sure I'll end up adoring him. Depending on the writing and the voice acting, of course.

Willy Wonka creeped me out when I was a kid. Not sure if I'd find that calming then :D

I guess for me that depends on which one? Gene wilder (the one I grew up with) seemed eccentric and knew who/what he was. He has his [snip] together. No hate to johnny depp but the new one actually disgusted me. Seemed like a weak, scared neurotic kid that has way too many issues.

[Edited for Censor Bypass]
    Edited by Psiion on January 26, 2023 9:03PM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lumenn wrote: »
    I guess for me that depends on which one? Gene wilder (the one I grew up with) seemed eccentric and knew who/what he was. He has his [snip] together. No hate to johnny depp but the new one actually disgusted me. Seemed like a weak, scared neurotic kid that has way too many issues.

[Edited for Censor Bypass]

I found both a bit weird, but the one from the newer movie played by Johnny Depp was definitively creepier.
    Edited by Psiion on January 26, 2023 9:03PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • DairyCat
    DairyCat
    ✭✭✭
    They were afraid that a if they released a female Argonian everyone would just walk around with their own lusty Argonian maid XD
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Spends whole life searching for forbidden knowledge and yet starts off at level 1
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spends whole life searching for forbidden knowledge and yet starts off at level 1

We don't know where he had been searching for it.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cireous wrote: »
    They're just not romance material. Good thing they didn't add romance, I guess. :'(

Great, that's a good sign romances aren't coming anytime soon.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    Great, that's a good sign romances aren't coming anytime soon.

Considering the quality of dialogues last year, it's probably better they still practice a bit more...
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good, now that the sex ratio is balanced, next year they can add a ruggedly handsome Nord man for the ladies and an Altmer *** for the blokes.

Ok I did not expect it to censor that word. It's a 4 letter acronym that starts with M and ends with F.
    Edited by amig186 on January 26, 2023 8:24AM
    PC EU
  • Thormar
    Thormar
    ✭✭✭✭
    amig186 wrote: »
    Ok I did not expect it to censor that word. It's a 4 letter acronym that starts with M and ends with F.

Yeah, that's definitely getting censored.

What if I go north? Disappear.
    Would you come after me?
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Good, now that the sex ratio is balanced, next year they can add a ruggedly handsome Nord man for the ladies and an Altmer *** for the blokes.

Oh no, no more cliche-ridden characters, please!
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But don't you realize that people all like the same things?! Just like they all think the same, talk the same, look the same... Wait, they do not?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cliche? Those are just their physical characteristics, nothing's stopping the writers from giving them interesting personalities. One of the most highly requested companions I've seen is essentially a Mannimarco clone, now that's cliche.
    PC EU
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cliche? Those are just their physical characteristics, nothing's stopping the writers from giving them interesting personalities.

Well, the two examples sound like extreme clichés to me, where the character is rather secondary...

• Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, or someone like Count Verandis Ravenwatch.

We have enough sparkle vampires in the game. If we get a vampire companion, I would prefer it to be something less....ravenwatch.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My character is an Argonian male, so it would kinda make more sense for him for the new Argonian Companion to be female... I mean it may look kinda um... awkward.

But anyway, let's just take a moment of appreciation that we are getting "something Argonian". I mean anything "Argonian" at this point is good. And it is A COMPANION. And he is a Warden !

It is not a motif, emote or furniture style... it is a companion. I mean it seems that with next chapter we will get more Argonian stuff (because of that one companion) than we got with entire Blackwood :D

ZOS very often adds Khajiit stuff, because when they are choosing, the "cat" beast race tend to be more popular than "lizard" beast race. It is kinda shame that they are "choosing" instead of adding both. At this point, the disproportions are staggering tbh. Argonians have huge potential when it comes to possible content. Recurring NPCs (as far as I can tell non of the base game Argonian NPCs have ever re-appeared in a DLC), zones, lore... but it seems that we are either getting elven stuff or Khajiit stuff in a loop...

That is why I appreciate it. Even though I would prefer a female companion, I am happy with what we are getting.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on January 26, 2023 5:06PM
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am disappointed on one hand and on the other hand I am glad about the 2 new companions.
    The disappointment because I wished for a sexy High Elf male companion, but at a the same time I am glad they didn't add it in this chapter because I have zero interest in buying it and the 2 new companions do not give me a reason to do so neither.
    I see it from the good side, it saves me money this year.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My character is an Argonian male, so it would kinda make more sense for the him for the new Argonian Companion to female... I mean it may look kinda um... awkward.

Having a friend is awkward?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cliche? Those are just their physical characteristics, nothing's stopping the writers from giving them interesting personalities.

Well, the two examples sound like extreme clichés to me, where the character is rather secondary...

I mean, I was being semi-serious when I wrote that, but I would be disappointed if they were implemented as boring and predictable characters without a shred of nuance between them.
    PC EU
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My character is an Argonian male, so it would kinda make more sense for the him for the new Argonian Companion to female... I mean it may look kinda um... awkward.

Having a friend is awkward?
    I guess not. What I meant was rather that I had "a hope". I am happy nonetheless tbh.

Anyway, everyone will be leveling new companions, so there will be plenty of them running around.
  • dutchusuk
    dutchusuk
    ✭✭✭
    I shall unlock them but dont use them, hate leveling the same boring Fighters, Mages and Undaunted skill lines over and over again.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This just means that an altmer necromancer companion is still a possibility :)

I like argonians personally. The redguard man looked cool to me at first, but I'm also with everyone else who's apprehensive of the dumbledore wonka dad personality. But still interested to check him out. I prefer women though, and try and match the companions to my characters' tastes anyway, so I'm not really in the same boat as OP.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very pleased they made one of them an argonian warden. That was my favourite of all the ideas I saw in the topics about new companions. I didn't watch the livestream and can't find any info except the name, race and class so I don't know what his personality is supposed to be like but hopefully he'll be an interesting companion.

The redguard looks interesting too. I like that the made an older companion, and he could be a good fit for some of my characters, again depending on personality.

That's pretty much my sorcerer's backstory (and he's a dark elf, so his whole life is a long time) and my explanation is that he spent most of it studying theory and literature and any field work was relatively safe, so he had almost not experience of combat magic at the start of the game. He could tell you the mechanics of summoning a daedra and the magical properties of lightning in great detail, but learning to actually do it quickly while under attack was a whole new experience.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love the sound of the Argonian's personality, and I find the description of the Arcanist companion a bit bizarre. If you spent your life searching for knowledge, wouldn't you be more serious and reflective? Or on the other side of the spectrum, somber and disturbing. The Arcanist sounds more like an eccentric tinkerer, rather than a sage.

Maybe already pushed over the brink of insanity.

He's supposed to be fatherly and a mentor, so he's not unstable. Hopefully.

A fatherly Willy Wonka?

Or Dumbledore :)

I'm sure I'll end up adoring him. Depending on the writing and the voice acting, of course.

Dumbledore with a bit of a clownish side sounds a lot like Gandalf, at least the way Gandalf presents himself when he visits the Shire.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh, I hope not! We’ll now have THREE human companions and when they do add a Nord companion, they should be female for the ratios. Not that I really care about the ratio, except that I really want a handsome Altmer companion —someone like Count Verandis would be perfect. No beady-eyed oafish Nord, please! :confounded:

I’m surprised they didn’t create an Altmer arcanist as that would seem fitting, but going against types isn’t a bad thing. I just don’t know what to make of the Redguard companion from the description, especially a comparison to Willy Wonka…

The Argonian sounds like he will be an interesting companion at least. :)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on January 26, 2023 6:04PM