Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Class Change Tokens - Request Number 73,276

• Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they implemented account wide achievements, they ruined my alt game. I deleted all my alts. I have one character now. New classes are not going to cause me to create a new character that will be "born" with many things already having been tagged as completed. So the motivation to buy a chapter just to get a new class is lost without a class change token.

I'm thinking they could do class changing at the armory. You just have a class field that gets saved as part of the build.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
    Options
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS needs to release class change tokens.

ZOS won't release class change tokens because the potential spend by players is higher if they have to buy skill points, lines, and other items to speed up leveling a character, a la carte.
    Options
  • Yirmeyahu
    Yirmeyahu
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the responses here are funny while others are just plain incorrect. There are wildly popular MMORPGs on the market as I type in which the player does not ever have more than one character. Said single character acquires different roles, what ESO would consider a "class", by picking up "occupations" and simply leveling that occupation in a manner that is quite respecting of the player's time.

The thought that a "class change token" would fundamentally ruin ESO, or that it is impossible to implement has already gone out the window with the successful implementation of everything from race and alliance change tokens to the collections and armory systems. All of these have been great additions to the game (which even a veteran such as myself who spent years vendoring old "useless" gear that was never added to the collections system, for example, and had to be re-grinded) and so, too, would a class change token. I fear that the real issue here would be setting a "reasonable" price for said class change token as it would, essentially, replace the Crown Store purchase of skill lines, skyshards and riding lessons just to start.
    Options
  • Nic727
    Nic727
    ✭✭✭✭
    We dont need a class change token all we need is the ability to select any class skills from the class menu just like we do with additional skill lines lines Fighters, Mages, Weapon etc

Like RuneScape? I know they added a new skill line… And you don’t need to start a new character to have access to it.
    Options
  • Nic727
    Nic727
    ✭✭✭✭
    Theosis wrote: »
    I know I'm going to get pounded to the ground for this but..

Doesn't it take like 10 minutes to level it?

You don't have to do all the quests in the game the 20th time as achievements are account wide aren't they? I have no use for my crowns so I'll just use them for the skyshards and mount training. They need to drop the grown price for those though.

Story achievements are account-wide, but the map still showing points of interest as incomplete. If only the map was discovered account-wide too…
    Options
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yirmeyahu wrote: »
    Some of the responses here are funny while others are just plain incorrect. There are wildly popular MMORPGs on the market as I type in which the player does not ever have more than one character. Said single character acquires different roles, what ESO would consider a "class", by picking up "occupations" and simply leveling that occupation in a manner that is quite respecting of the player's time.

The thought that a "class change token" would fundamentally ruin ESO, or that it is impossible to implement has already gone out the window with the successful implementation of everything from race and alliance change tokens to the collections and armory systems. All of these have been great additions to the game (which even a veteran such as myself who spent years vendoring old "useless" gear that was never added to the collections system, for example, and had to be re-grinded) and so, too, would a class change token. I fear that the real issue here would be setting a "reasonable" price for said class change token as it would, essentially, replace the Crown Store purchase of skill lines, skyshards and riding lessons just to start.

Besides FFXIV, I do not know of one MMO that lets you be able to play one character with many classes/jobs or whatever. Since the days of Everquest you always had alts. Only difference here is that all armour is basically open, same with weapons. I much prefer having certain things seperate like classes and other things share like light armour to bow.
    Options
  • Jem_Kindheart
    Jem_Kindheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah any argument it would "ruin" ESO is just illogical and uneducated. Plenty of games have similar functions and do just fine. ESO could do it so it doesn't make a Flavor of the Month swapper problem for raiders, simply by coding in a very long cooldown like 1 per character ever or 1 per year. Besides, when I was raiding, pretty much everybody had most classes leveled and experienced on different characters to choose from. Most can only be really good at only 2 to 4 classes anyway. It wouldn't create any issue or even change anything in upper tier raiding.

Any notion it would "ruin" things is just silly and stupid. And the really really tiny obscure fraction of people it even possibly affect negatively in some wild imaginary scenario would be galactically outweighed by the people it would benefit.
    Longtimer since beta, the usual. 26 CP toons. ~1700cp on main account, 1000cp on 2nd account. Endgame-ish lol. Most Vets / some HM's cleared.
    Options
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭
    "It only takes a few hours to catch a new character up to your main and be usable in endgame content"

9 hours today, 3 million gold+ used to power level to 50 through enchanting/writs, and I would consider myself ~1% of the way to catching up to my main and dozens of skill points and many weapon skill line levels away from being pvp ready
    Options
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Started my new archanist today and was reminded of another reason why class change wouldn’t work well. Levelling the new class skills takes time and during that time I’m learning to use those skills and play the character. Levelling fighters guild gives a chance to practice those skills build right into the game. It’s a fun process!
    I’m also going through the new zone doing the easy overland content, which is fine to do with my baby archanist. If I just class changed my character this wouldn’t happen. I’d have 3 skill lines on a max CP character I didn’t know what to do with.
    Options
  • Khami
    Khami
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about this as a compromise being I don't like the idea of a class change token. However, I do approve of a level 50 character out of the box and you still need to level everything else for it skill wise.

A character boost in World of Warcraft is $60. That's what I'm talking about.
    Edited by Khami on June 6, 2023 4:27AM
    Options
  • Vanos444
    Vanos444
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope ZOS would implement class change tokens, and I'm sure they will in the future because the faction change happened when the majority of people assumed it wouldn't.
    Options
  • Princess_Lily
    Princess_Lily
    ✭✭
    Khami wrote: »
    How about this as a compromise being I don't like the idea of a class change token. However, I do approve of a level 50 character out of the box and you still need to level everything else for it skill wise.

A character boost in World of Warcraft is $60. That's what I'm talking about.

That is the reason I stated just put achievements if there are not any yet on each class at 50. It is not hard to do that. Then have that trigger just like any other crown store locked behind achievement item.

Boom you can only buy that class change token when you have a 50 of it showing you put in the time.
    Options
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Besides FFXIV, I do not know of one MMO that lets you be able to play one character with many classes/jobs or whatever. Since the days of Everquest you always had alts. Only difference here is that all armour is basically open, same with weapons. I much prefer having certain things seperate like classes and other things share like light armour to bow.

SWTOR you can choose to start later in game, and have everything pre expansion completed on start. We need that in eso at the bare minimum if they keep pushing out new classes.
    Options
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bleakz wrote: »
    "It only takes a few hours to catch a new character up to your main and be usable in endgame content"

9 hours today, 3 million gold+ used to power level to 50 through enchanting/writs, and I would consider myself ~1% of the way to catching up to my main and dozens of skill points and many weapon skill line levels away from being pvp ready

So still on my mini vacation playing to "quickly catch a new character up in a few hours" and I have hit about 30 hours already, need about 30 skill points between weapon, guild and a few other passives here and there to be in a solid spot for PvE, but I still need a dozen or 2 more to have what I need for PvP.

I still need to get all the crafting skill lines up to the point of max daily writ rewards, maxed hirelings, and at least 1 into each keen eye, that is after they all reach 50 but everything except jewelry should be quick. I need to take a few hours at some point to get scying/excavation up to get the treasure chest keen eye passive.

I am slowly going through the psijic quest line and grabbing my skyshards/mages guild books/public dungeon event skill points along the way. Just doing the 3 dungeon dailies is all the dungeon'ing I can handle and is another 2-3 skill points for the time being and levels undaunted. I am trying to remember to launder/sell my max daily amount of stolen items to get leggydeerman leveled.

I have 2 months of doing dailies to get companion rapport maxed out which I am not looking forward to, and eventually I will have to stop grinding these things out to work on the main story quest for the soul magic line, guild quest lines (mages, and fighter will get leveled while doing other things at least, but dark brotherhood and thieves will be gated behind another time consuming grind), and I need to start PvP'ing for those skills lines to progress as well.

And this is with ignoring the couple hundred hours of "pointless" questing I still need for what I actual consider to be "catching up" with my main, very good chance that I am forgetting to do a lot of other things as well but I will cross those roads when i find them.
    Options
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If those other MMORPGs are things like new world and ff14, which is very likely then you have to understand that those games where designed that way at their core. They were set up initially so that class and "job" changes were easily changed. ESO's core is set up very differently and is more in line with a bit more classic and old school rpgs.

Not to say that I wouldn't welcome a similar change. I just don't think players of eso understand how deeply baked into the core classes are. But based on new class frequencies and the issues we had with necromancers at launch it looks pretty deep.

I oppose the change for the reasons I stated earlier, but if zos released one I would consider using it because the cat would be out of the bag so to speak.

But remember and consider this. Zos might give players 1 for free as a promo or special one time event thing. After that it will cost.

If I were in marketing and crown store planning I would look at how much players are spending on skill lines, mount upgrades , skyshards, and the like and then price this item 25 to 35% above that average possibly more depending on the volumes involved.
    Options
  • Braggar
    Braggar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I won´t buy a expensive banker, merchant, expensive odd mounts, armor motifs, Necrom.
    What I pay for is: A Class Change Token! ZOS you want this and bad:

cyguyx8jhb0i.gif

Make it happen, and you get your green from us. Lot´s of it.
    Options
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭

So still on my mini vacation playing to "quickly catch a new character up in a few hours" and I have hit about 30 hours already, need about 30 skill points between weapon, guild and a few other passives here and there to be in a solid spot for PvE, but I still need a dozen or 2 more to have what I need for PvP.

I still need to get all the crafting skill lines up to the point of max daily writ rewards, maxed hirelings, and at least 1 into each keen eye, that is after they all reach 50 but everything except jewelry should be quick. I need to take a few hours at some point to get scying/excavation up to get the treasure chest keen eye passive
    I am slowly going through the psijic quest line and grabbing my skyshards/mages guild books/public dungeon event skill points along the way. Just doing the 3 dungeon dailies is all the dungeon'ing I can handle and is another 2-3 skill points for the time being and levels undaunted. I am trying to remember to launder/sell my max daily amount of stolen items to get leggydeerman leveled.

I have 2 months of doing dailies to get companion rapport maxed out which I am not looking forward to, and eventually I will have to stop grinding these things out to work on the main story quest for the soul magic line, guild quest lines (mages, and fighter will get leveled while doing other things at least, but dark brotherhood and thieves will be gated behind another time consuming grind), and I need to start PvP'ing for those skills lines to progress as well.

And this is with ignoring the couple hundred hours of "pointless" questing I still need for what I actual consider to be "catching up" with my main, very good chance that I am forgetting to do a lot of other things as well but I will cross those roads when i find them.

Another update on the "just make a new character to main" attempt

83ish hours on the arcanist. I have enough skillpoints that I have literally just began to put them into crafting lines for daily writs, although I still need to finish that and then have enough for dual wield passives. Still alot more needed for what I want in PvP but I'm sure I could make something work when midyear hits, even if it doesn't have the skill/weapon versatility I want.

Companion rapport dailies have been awful, at this point I have 2 more days for Mirri, 3 days of enchanting writs for Azander, 13 days of High Isle delves for Ember and 14 days of Mages guild for Bastion. I finished off Sharp and Isobel today, also called it on doing Necrom delve dailies for Azander, so maybe after Mirri is done I will have time to actually play the game on days I work.

Leggydeerman is really annoying to level, but I am trying, should be less of an issue as companion dailies get wrapped up.

I am still on the same psijic quest as before, but atleast the dailies I have been doing have sent me all over the world netting me skyshards and public dungeon group event skill points. Case in point, Mages guild is maxed and Fighters is close behind.

Unfortunately until companion rapport is maxed I do not have time to run any dungeons despite my best efforts, internet issues flair up during primetime on days off and I am too busy to wait for 20+ minutes before or after work.

And of course no general questing has been done past public dungeon or delve quests that get picked up along the way

Now the biggest issue I truly have with this is as follows, I really like the class but I do need to decide if it is better than the other class I have been trying to build up, my couple year old templar with 10ish days of playtime. While I like both far better than all the other classes I have tried (nightblade 2/5, sorcerer 1/5, warden 2/5, and necromancer 1/5 in terms of enjoyment) they still have a long way to go to pass my dragonknight progress/completion wise and I am starting to run into the dread that plagues me everytime I come back to this game after a break and try to build up a new "main" which always builds up until I start a new break.....

Is this really worth the time?
    Options
  • Valenor
    Valenor
    ✭✭✭
    I might be crazy but if they did away with the class system altogether and reworked it into guild we could join, it could be fun. Sure the meta would be even staler, but it would open things up a fair bit.
    Options
  • Utt of the Freezing Tomb
    Hi everyone, just wanted to let you all know that we do not have any plans on implementing class changes tokens at this time. There are a number of technical challenges with implementing them, and it would take a significant amount of time to solve these challenges efficiently and safely.

Please add class change token, can't play anymore my magicka necromancer since you destroyed it and no one still play it.. invested tons of hours for this garbage class now or just rework necromancer ??
    Options
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not a post of me quitting and crying for attention, but I am, quitting that is. I tried playing the Arcanist, it was fun, but not exactly what I expected -- now I want to play a DK, but I just can't be arsed to do it. The problem is, just like the Arcanist, I can't get over the fact of how 'rich' my old main is, too many recipes & patterns learned etc. etc. many think this is unnecessary fluff, but it really isn't for those of us that have invested heavily in the development of our main.

ESO has to be the only game that doesn't respect the time we've put into the game to this extent, especially considering the sheer amount of recipes and content this game has. @ZOS_Kevin For the last time, please consider adding a class change token soon, I'd pay any price for it, I'm sure most would. Let me enjoy the game again.

See y'all around when they finally add the damn thing.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shagreth wrote: »

ESO has to be the only game that doesn't respect the time we've put into the game to this extent, especially considering the sheer amount of recipes and content this game has.

I'd say those games of the type, scale and complexity of ESO that allow class changes in the way you're requesting are very much the exception, if indeed they exist. That's a wholly different concept, of course, to those few games that were designed for multiple class characters from the start.

As for the sheer amount of recipes and content in ESO, it's not like you lose those if you add another character. On the contrary, much of the important stuff is shared anyway, and the switch to account-wide achievements has weakened the case for class change tokens.
    Options
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the same arguments and tactics seen in use here lobbying against the Change Class Token have also been used against other Token types as well and as we have also seen for some time now there's no issue with having those tokens and using them frequently enough on day-to-day basis.

No reason, fundamentally not allow for a Class Change Token. Now beyond that, its up to the Devs, Managers and such, whatever fits their vision and none of us can really speak to those points. However there's no reason not to have this and its my hope eventually when ZOS can provide, no rush, but hopefully one day this too will be a non-issue.
    Edited by Vulkunne on July 24, 2023 11:09PM
    The ending of the words is ALMSIVI
    Options
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    kargen27 wrote: »
    Malthorne wrote: »
    kargen27 wrote: »
    Class change tokens would be detrimental to the long term health of the game. We are getting character slots so you can enjoy the game and all its content all over again with a new class.

Why would it be detrimental to the health of the game?

MMOs need three things to thrive. New content, players repeating content and players doing a variety of content.

Class tokens take away from players repeating content and doing a variety of content.

The players who are likely to use the class change are players who are very unlikely to actually repeat content. And no, grinding XP in Alikr is not repeating content. They are crash leveling a character to actually do the content they want to do with it.

There is nothing detrimental about allowing established players the opportunity to dive right into the content they actually want to log in to play. Like, say I am going to spend 3 hours playing the game today, it is much more within ZOS' interest to provide me the option to spend those 3 hours actually doing content with classes/characters I enjoy to do, rather than mindless XP and skill point grinding. I am still going to spend those 3 hours in the game and that is literally all that matters. Class change doesn't take away from the time the player is going to spend in the game, and is more likely to add to the time they want to commit as they don't have to burn time leveling new characters if they do not want to.

Well said. I'm done with leveling all the needed NPC guilds, world, weapons, race, AvA skill lines, getting sky shards and skill points for the 20th time on a new alt just so I can play the content I want to play. I'd rather just not play ESO. Every time I think of trying out Arcanist healer and DPS, I remember the entire tedious leveling slog and I don't bother. Burnout is real.
    Options
  • JamesDax3
    JamesDax3
    ✭✭
    So glad I came across this thread. I was just thinking, why doesn’t this game have class change tokens? I’ve invested nearly 600 hours on my main. I’ve completed the main quest and Cadwell’s silver and gold questlines. I’ve maxed out all of my skills have been going around zone to zone guide to complete each zone. I love the fact that my main is recognized by npcs and the comments they make about my accomplishments.

Now I have made multiple alts over the years but once I hit lvl 50 I really can’t be bothered with them anymore because I have no intention of doing everything all over again.

My main is a Nightblade which I like, but I’m getting bored with that skill set and would really like to change to a Necro or Arcanist to continue my journey. I’ve maxed out Isabel and she and I would like to travel Tamriel and seek out adventure. But I don’t want to do it any longer as a Nightblade and I don’t want to start yet another alt(I always end up deleting them).

It’s all good though. 41 days until the release of Starfield which will likely take up all of my time anyway. A class change token would be just the thing to bring me back to ESO.
    Options
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    i've been off from ESO for couple of years now, been playing the game since beta more or less, i know this is beating a dead horse, but ***, the only reason i don't want to come back to ESO is theres no class change, i want to play other class, but the idea to do everything, all over again, is a powerful sense of dread, can i just play my main character ?, sure, but you can refer to my other post here about DK and i'm also bored with DK, so thats that
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
    Options
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly it is much faster on additional characters. Your first character can make them nice purple heartland training gear and you know what you’re doing. You’ll also probably have a heap of xp scrolls from the daily login rewards.
    I just started making my second arcanist yesterday. She’s already level 18.
    Options
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    M0ntie wrote: »
    Honestly it is much faster on additional characters. Your first character can make them nice purple heartland training gear and you know what you’re doing. You’ll also probably have a heap of xp scrolls from the daily login rewards.

It’s not a matter of leveling the character to 50, it’s a matter of having to complete all of the thousands of quests again to retain your special dialogue options in new regions, among all of the other tedious things you need to farm, like Lorebooks, Psijic Portals, and Skyshards.

Not to mention the near impossible difficulty it is to level Excavation and Scrying on an alt for the “Keen Eye: Treasure Chests” passive without the guaranteed purples in each region.
    Options
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tyrant_Tim wrote: »
    M0ntie wrote: »

It’s not a matter of leveling the character to 50, it’s a matter of having to complete all of the thousands of quests again to retain your special dialogue options in new regions, among all of the other tedious things you need to farm, like Lorebooks, Psijic Portals, and Skyshards.

Not to mention the near impossible difficulty it is to level Excavation and Scrying on an alt for the “Keen Eye: Treasure Chests” passive without the guaranteed purples in each region.

Also for some of us rolling a new character means deleting an existing character that (at least) has:

- All 9 traits researched across all crafts.
    - Horse training done.
    - All skill lines (class/weapon/guild/AvA/...)/skills/morphs levelled.
    - Skyshard/PD/Dungeon/TG/DB skill points collected.
    - 50+ motifs learned.

Then doing it all over again with the new character.

That proposition is so far from 'ideal' that even scouting from the top of The Throat of the World on a clear day the sharpest sighted Bosmer would not be able to find it.

At this point there should just be a shrine where you swap class skills, pay a gold fee to the cult of the aedra du jour and Bob's your uncle.

It should also retain 'training' progress in each and every class skill so eventually swapping classes is completely seamless.

QoL at its finest.

Options
  • Nic727
    Nic727
    ✭✭✭✭
    If Zenimax doesn’t want to do a class change, at least make quest progression, motifs, traits and horse training account-wide.

The only reason I stopped playing ESO is because I hate my class and I started a new character, but it’s just getting boring to re-do everything to be on par with what you had.
    Edited by Nic727 on August 21, 2023 9:54PM
    Options
  • Alekero
    Alekero
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped playing ESO after Necrom. I finished the story n stuff with my Templar and...left. I played my class since 2014 and went through a lot of nerfs and buffs but still i feel it outdated. I created arcanist and this class felt waaaay better. And i started to clear all stories\quests etc etc. Aaaaand i gave up lol Right before Elsweyr. Its simply boring when you have to do all those quests and locations again instead of changing your main character's class. I can understand other MMOs when you dont have to clear a lot but its ESO. It will take 6 months or so to finish everything to make your new character "up-to-date". I simply cant afford to lose time to keep up. I better pay like $40-50 for a token just to skip all that boredom and convert my templar to whatever i want. And im sure im not the only one casual who feel that way. Yeh its a complicated feature due to some "magic coding stuff" which devs sayin all the time but it will bring more ppl back and will make a HUGE step forward in QoL. I hope devs will think about it before the new big expansion otherwise ESO will be dead for many of players.
    Options