The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Class Change Tokens - Request Number 73,276

Tyrobag
Tyrobag
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Please please please tell me its finally time for a class change token. I already have a character that worships Hermaeus Mora, and is practically already an arcanist. I have years invested in the character, so remaking him isn't an option.

This has been asked for years now, anyone else think its finally time for zos to make this money making machine?
  • Ranthuk
    Ranthuk
    ✭✭✭
    This exactly, the new class is pointless without the token
  • CoolBlast3
    CoolBlast3
    ✭✭✭✭
    We need a way of changing class, even if only once per toon!
    After years of having a main, I've done every quest in the game, i've all my skill lines levelled, i've so much grind put in. I want to play with the new class (it looks AMAZING) but I won't actively be able to without class changing :/

ZOS, you can do this in a way where you still control the grind-skip Crown Store items.
    Make the tokens limited so people can't change at will. Sell them only when a new class or massive balance change drops. Do it only once, I don't know, but please, we need this!
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And give us a free one with the chapter while you're at it.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    new classes are cool and all, but no point in starting a new character and starting over. not interested as i put too many hours
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    new classes are cool and all, but no point in starting a new character and starting over. not interested as i put too many hours

yep the grind for all the skyshards, all guilds and stuff...(mages, fighters ,undaunted, dark brotherhood, Thieves, Psjic order, antiquities, Crafting and breakdown)

I do not want to do all that again for the 10 time.

Also You know the Class is gonna get Nerfed big time a month or so after live release
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, all I see with a new class is 180 days of mount leveling. I like my new templar, but there is a reason I only log in to level the horse and grab the log in rewards.
    PvP needs more love.
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have zero use for a new class without a class token token.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Class change tokens would be detrimental to the long term health of the game. We are getting character slots so you can enjoy the game and all its content all over again with a new class.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A class change token really has become a necessity over the years.

It's great to release new classes with additional chapters but this change can also have negative effects for players with one character or roleplayers. And roleplayers don't make such a small percentage of the playerbasethat they shouldn't be taken into consideration to be honest.
    Every person that already created and played a character matching Hermaeus Mora or the vibe of the arcanist class will be forced to reroll and recollect/replay everything again. Not releasing a class change token surely looks profitable with so many unlockables in the crown store but it is NOT consumer friendly anymore. It was back when it was only about skyshards but that era is long over. Left alone that people grow attached to their alter egos.

Finally releasing a class change token is a great step towards consumer friendly game design.
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    Class change tokens would be detrimental to the long term health of the game. We are getting character slots so you can enjoy the game and all its content all over again with a new class.

Why would it be detrimental to the health of the game?
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well... no Class Change

\0lghusz5ta5w.png

Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malthorne wrote: »

MMOs need three things to thrive. New content, players repeating content and players doing a variety of content.

Class tokens take away from players repeating content and doing a variety of content.
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

MMOs need three things to thrive. New content, players repeating content and players doing a variety of content.

Class tokens take away from players repeating content and doing a variety of content.

Fine, at least let us buy horse upgrades all at once. I would rather just drop 45k gold instantly. Why do I have to wait 180 days.
    PvP needs more love.
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

None of that is determined by the convenience that allows for players to swap their characters class. Ask Final Fantasy 14.
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    majulook wrote: »
    Well... no Class Change

\0lghusz5ta5w.png

That doesn't in any way imply that there wont be a class change token, you could already have deleted a character to open slots, that's not what a class change token is for,

What do you mean? Token added = people doing more content with their class changed character. No token added = people not playing as much since they aren't using the new class.
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭

None of that is determined by the convenience that allows for players to swap their characters class. Ask Final Fantasy 14.

I play FFXIV also, there not classes your switching there called jobs. and it requires one the appropriate weapon and two if you unlocked the job a job stone. it is completely different
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    Well... no Class Change

\0lghusz5ta5w.png

That doesn't in any way imply that there wont be a class change token, you could already have deleted a character to open slots, that's not what a class change token is for,

What do you mean? Token added = people doing more content with their class changed character. No token added = people not playing as much since they aren't using the new class.

Token added means player gets bored with their character soon or runs out of things to do in that character and moves on. We are getting slots so players can use the new class without impacting their existing characters.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The players who are likely to use the class change are players who are very unlikely to actually repeat content. And no, grinding XP in Alikr is not repeating content. They are crash leveling a character to actually do the content they want to do with it.

There is nothing detrimental about allowing established players the opportunity to dive right into the content they actually want to log in to play. Like, say I am going to spend 3 hours playing the game today, it is much more within ZOS' interest to provide me the option to spend those 3 hours actually doing content with classes/characters I enjoy to do, rather than mindless XP and skill point grinding. I am still going to spend those 3 hours in the game and that is literally all that matters. Class change doesn't take away from the time the player is going to spend in the game, and is more likely to add to the time they want to commit as they don't have to burn time leveling new characters if they do not want to.
  • Sealish
    Sealish
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yuuuuup... my thoughts exactly.
    Finally... something I am hyped about in ESO after years of 'Meh'.

I am a huge fan of the Arcanist aesthetic and would love to play it. It is an addition that would make me pre-buy the expansion, re-subscribe, and pay an additional $20-$30 for a class change token.

Templar is fun and all, but it gets stale given that it has been my class since launch. In fact, the combat having gotten stale (the last actual thing added to 'mix it up a bit' was the Psijic skill line YEARS ago) is the main reason I left. The zone and chapter stories and such still interest me, but playing with the same skillset for a decade just got boring.

At the same time, I have put hundreds of hours into this character. I have 100% completed all the vanilla zones, about half the chapter and DLC zones, and many of the dungeons. My adventure through Tamriel is my character's adventure through Tamriel. If I come back... I want to continue that adventure, not start a new one.

I am tempted by mysterious and alien magick, I want to lay down my aetherial spear and dive into forbidden knowledge... something SO in line with the theme of this new chapter that it feels borderline immersion breaking NOT to introduce a class change token. I mean really... could you imagine someone going up to Hermaeus Mora and being all "Hey so I, an exceptionally powerful and influential mortal who has been known to change the fate of the entire world like every year or two, would like to learn your arcane secrets. I am willing to trade my holy templar magic for it." And him going "Nope, I don't want to gain influence over someone who is one of the most powerful mortals of this age and who is obviously a nexus point for fate. I don't want the knowledge of their experience with Aedric magick, and I don't want to offer them access to secrets that may bind them to my service forever."

And I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Class change tokens are now Lore Friendly (hell, you literally got the ability to respec in Skyrim FROM Hermaeus Mora), they wouldn't hurt the game in ANY way, they would be exceptionally profitable for ZOS, and they would bring back players like me to the game who don't find making an alt and abandoning your avatar within the game world a reasonable solution to class fatigue in a primarily story driven game.
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

They took the "players repeating content" part away with adding account wide achievements. So they might just add a class change token at this point.
    Edited by Lady_Galadhiel on January 25, 2023 10:13PM
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • Seminolegirl1992
    Seminolegirl1992
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    Well... no Class Change

\0lghusz5ta5w.png

Token added means player gets bored with their character soon or runs out of things to do in that character and moves on. We are getting slots so players can use the new class without impacting their existing characters.

I'm an rp oriented kind of gal. I want class change tokens not because I'm bored- but I want it because a certain class might fit the aesthetic more. Often people put a lot of time into certain toons and recreating them is simply not an option. I also don't want to make a random toon just to experience the new class.
    @Seminolegirl1992 PC/NA CP 2300+ PVE, PVP, RP, Housing: Tel Galen, Fair Winds, Moon Sugar, Grand Psijic, Forsaken, HOTLC, Bastion, Ravenhurst, Gardner, Alinor, Hakkvild's, Gorinir, Kragenhome, Hundings, & more- feel free to come see!
    Main PVE: Rynne, breton mag dk
    PVP: Levexa, EP nord mag dk
    Crafter: Sabaki Taiyo, khajiit templar
    RP: N'zuri, Penelope Mecoud, Vhenasi Galanodel, Alassea Rilynn'urdrenn, Taiga Soulhammer, Jhaneyl Everhath, Nym Baenre, Eilistraee, Levexa, Rynne Galanodel, Mielikki, Hanali Celanil, Arwen Galanodel, Grainne. I think I have a problem.
    Former Empress | Swashbuckler Supreme | Godslayer | Gryphon Heart | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Dro-m'athra Destroyer | Dawnbringer
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Several reasons. The most obvious is that there would always be pressure to change to the FOTM class for any sort of competitive gameplay. To take it one step further, there would now be more incentive for ZOS to make even wilder swings in balance than they already do in an effort to sell class change tokens. It has the potential to get very much in the realm of pay 2 win. Class change is and always will be a bad idea. I am not saying it wouldn't be useful on the margins for casual players, but overall, I am very much against it.

If they were to add it, I would hope they would make it once per account with a very long cooldown (we are talking calendar, not stopwatch).
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on January 25, 2023 10:23PM
  • daemondamian
    daemondamian
    ✭✭✭
    New class looks dope but I have almost 0% motivation to create a new character and spend hours grinding skills just to play it and to bring it up to the level of a previously existing character.

I already have 13 characters half of which I haven't finished levelling up certain things yet.

3 are nightblades and I really wish I could change one of them to the new class as it's repetitive/stale playing almost the same thing (PVE/PVP) even though I've tried to make them distinct characters with different playstyles/skills etc.
  • Nic727
    Nic727
    ✭✭✭✭
    Changing class is like changing job. It should be possible with a token.

However, I will wait until I create thread #98’765
    Edited by Nic727 on January 25, 2023 10:23PM
  • Seminolegirl1992
    Seminolegirl1992
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Several reasons. The most obvious is that there would always be pressure to change to the FOTM class for any sort of competitive gameplay. To take it one step further, there would now be more incentive for ZOS to make even wilder swings in balance than they already do in an effort to sell class change tokens. It has the potential to get very much in the realm of pay 2 win. Class change is and always will be a bad idea. I am not saying it wouldn't be useful on the margins for casual players, but overall, I am very much against it.

Perhaps a workaround is a limited amount of times it is allowed per character. Maybe once. Maybe 3 times. That way it isn't because of new meta new class- but moreso for aesthetic on a beloved toon.
    @Seminolegirl1992 PC/NA CP 2300+ PVE, PVP, RP, Housing: Tel Galen, Fair Winds, Moon Sugar, Grand Psijic, Forsaken, HOTLC, Bastion, Ravenhurst, Gardner, Alinor, Hakkvild's, Gorinir, Kragenhome, Hundings, & more- feel free to come see!
    Main PVE: Rynne, breton mag dk
    PVP: Levexa, EP nord mag dk
    Crafter: Sabaki Taiyo, khajiit templar
    RP: N'zuri, Penelope Mecoud, Vhenasi Galanodel, Alassea Rilynn'urdrenn, Taiga Soulhammer, Jhaneyl Everhath, Nym Baenre, Eilistraee, Levexa, Rynne Galanodel, Mielikki, Hanali Celanil, Arwen Galanodel, Grainne. I think I have a problem.
    Former Empress | Swashbuckler Supreme | Godslayer | Gryphon Heart | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Dro-m'athra Destroyer | Dawnbringer
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you really think the FOTM people don't already have multiple characters?
    Edited by Casul on January 25, 2023 10:23PM
    PvP needs more love.
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I play FFXIV also, there not classes your switching there called jobs. and it requires one the appropriate weapon and two if you unlocked the job a job stone. it is completely different

Jobs are classes, just like Free Companies are guilds. Different names but essentially the same thing.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No class change token... just play the game! Enjoy the journey, instead of rushing to the end.

There are many reasons for why not, but these are already mentioned here. Add to that, I like to know that those who are on a class, spend the time to level it. Especially now with a new class coming out.
  • ElvenOverlord
    ElvenOverlord
    ✭✭✭✭
    Casul wrote: »

Fine, at least let us buy horse upgrades all at once. I would rather just drop 45k gold instantly. Why do I have to wait 180 days.

Or make the horse upgrades account wide instead of having to level them up on each individual character
  • CoolBlast3
    CoolBlast3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    No class change token... just play the game! Enjoy the journey, instead of rushing to the end.

There are many reasons for why not, but these are already mentioned here. Add to that, I like to know that those who are on a class, spend the time to level it. Especially now with a new class coming out.

I've already spent my time! My main has been a cro since cro came out. I've done the entirety of ESO in chronological order. Have done every dungeon on vet, every trial on vet besides the High Isle one.
    A class change token whenever a class is added, even if a single one, would be healthy for the game, allowing older (as in time played, not irl age) or casual players to feel not left out of new content if they don't want or have the time to grind a new char..
    This is a hot topic, so I understand why a class change could be divisive. I'd just rather a flat YES or NO from ZOS.
    And yes, I know Rich said he didn't want them, but they said the same about Alliance change tokens. So I'd like an update on that info really.