The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.1 maintenance and is currently unavailable.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/657287/pts-incremental-patch-maintenance-extended-april-22-2024

Upcoming PTS Combat & Balance Adjustments

• Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this where we're supposed to trust again?
    So, again, Nocturnals Ploy is a TERRIBLE IDEA, and a cooldown doesn't change that. While reading through the comments, did anyone read that a cooldown doesn't change this terrible idea? Unbelievable.
  • Remathilis
    Remathilis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, you're decreasing health because of the DPS nerf... are you also decreasing damage done by the mentioned enemies in accordance to the HPS loss? @ZOS_GinaBruno

Some HP is nerfed. I think this is too fix overtuned hard modes and vet content, but it still still will make content harder to burn though mechanics.

Raise HA a lot and LA a little too help the noobs
    Lower overall damage.
    Lower HP on the top end bosses.

Not sure if it will work, but it's the best strategy I've heard laid out by them in three weeks...
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, so we continue the cycle of nerf players, then nerf content to compensate for said nerfs. Remind me, what is the point of that? Doesn't that just put us back where we started? It's ridiculous.

P.s. I sincerely hope something is done to ensure Templar spammables are not still weaker than dual wield skills. To mention nothing of the butchered animations, and eviscerated burning light passives.

Hi there!

As stated originally - the point is to reduce the ceiling and raise the floor so instead of being a difference of 15 times from starter to veteran player, the range is maybe 5 to 7 times (still too much to be honest, but eh).

By nerfing ceiling content, this means if a starting player does 10k damage and the veteran is reduced from 140k to 100k but Veteran Trial fights are the same duration, I think the goal would be achieved (albeit not quite enough!)
  • Arjuna1696
    Arjuna1696
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like there is too little time left to swerve. Take this stuff back to the drawing board. Don't rush the fixes to the fixes. Revert, do less, test more, communicate the vision, etc.
    Arjúna | Wood Elf Stamina Warden | of the Undying Song | Flawless Conquerer
    Tangles-Up-In-Blue | Argonian Magicka Warden | Spirit Slayer | Flawless Conquerer
    Marcełine | Dark Elf Magicka Nightblade | Spirit Slayer | Flawless Conquerer
    Nausîcaä | Breton Magicka Templar | Spirit Slayer | Flawless Conquerer
  • Danel_Vadan
    Danel_Vadan
    ✭✭✭
    What's a Champion?
    Tam! RUGH!
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

We wanted to take a minute to give you some insight into some additional changes coming to the PTS affecting combat and balance.

As we’ve continued reading through your feedback from testing these changes, we determined that some of our goals were actively competing with each other and not reaching the target audiences in ways we intended. We ultimately want to help raise the floor and reduce the ceiling in regard to DPS output, while simultaneously improving class balance in some problematic areas. So far, this has led to competing changes that have hurt some groups of players despite us stating we didn’t want to actively harm playstyles with any particular change; we are committed to following through with additional ways to mitigate these issues while still meeting our intended goals.

I just want to extend an olive branch and point out that the community is, by and large, absolutely on board with this goal. Reducing the ceiling was a bit more contentious, but I think it's still mostly supported.

What people had issues with were too many unwarranted side effects while not really achieving the intended goal.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dmnqwk wrote: »
    Ah, so we continue the cycle of nerf players, then nerf content to compensate for said nerfs. Remind me, what is the point of that? Doesn't that just put us back where we started? It's ridiculous.

P.s. I sincerely hope something is done to ensure Templar spammables are not still weaker than dual wield skills. To mention nothing of the butchered animations, and eviscerated burning light passives.

Hi there!

As stated originally - the point is to reduce the ceiling and raise the floor so instead of being a difference of 15 times from starter to veteran player, the range is maybe 5 to 7 times (still too much to be honest, but eh).

By nerfing ceiling content, this means if a starting player does 10k damage and the veteran is reduced from 140k to 100k but Veteran Trial fights are the same duration, I think the goal would be achieved (albeit not quite enough!)

Respectfully, I disagree. But thank you for the civil response.
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Thanks to the playerbase for bringing to our attention something that anyone who played that game would think about from the very beginning"

If you told us "we'll make changes and will adjust content later, after we see new numbers" it would be okay.
    If you told us "we'll nerf the heck out of everyone and then will try to bring the floor back up" it would be okay.
    Even if you told us "we only have our spreadsheets, so we'll mess around and tweak" it would be okay-ish.
    If it were the plan from the start.

Not "we made an oopsie of embarrasing proportions and will try to fix it, sorry".
    I have no trust.
  • Rimskjegg
    Rimskjegg
    ✭✭✭
    This is looking better. All the points that have been mentioned above merit real, deep consideration, however. PLEASE take the time needed to address all this properly too.

If I may add one inch to the mountain: Duration passives still need an overhaul. DK rotations are already quite accessible on live: Refresh DoTs every 14 or 15 seconds, spam till reapply. Going dynamic with 10, 14, 15, 18 and 19.5 seconds would add a little bit of deeps for the top end but not necessary except in the most extreme content because the outliers in duration also have ok-ish upfront damage. But on the PTS I now have to consider both 15 second and 24 second DoTs. Much less accessible. Especially since some of those DoTs ramp up and do more damage at the end than upfront. And if the long sticky DoTs were meant as the accessible-rotation option, well, the 24 second DoTs still don't line up with the 20 second sticky ones like Poison Injection and Deadly Cloak, or Trap at 20 seconds +1.5 sec delay. I'm sure combining sticky 20 sec DoTs with other DoTs of 10, 12, 15 and all kinds of durations would still be interesting for the players who want more varied rotations.
    Edited by Rimskjegg on July 29, 2022 8:03PM
  • Marcus_Justicia
    Thanks you for heavy and light attack..
    Its very important for PvP.
    But when the non-accumulation of damage and healing skills on a player target,
    this would reduce situations where there are invincible groups and encourage diversity.
    it would prevent death situations only by accumulation of damage over time.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you nerf dps, and then nerf content, then why not leave things as they are??! What is the point of the update then, besides adjusting broken things for pvp... This has been an exercise in futility, alienating half your playerbase. Just scrap the changes for this update cycle, everyone will thank you.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FluffyBird wrote: »
    "Thanks to the playerbase for bringing to our attention something that anyone who played that game would think about from the very beginning"

If you told us "we'll make changes and will adjust content later, after we see new numbers" it would be okay.
    If you told us "we'll nerf the heck out of everyone and then will try to bring the floor back up" it would be okay.
    Even if you told us "we only have our spreadsheets, so we'll mess around and tweak" it would be okay-ish.

Not "we made an oopsie of embarrasing proportions and will try to fix it, sorry".
    I have no trust.

I don't understand this sentiment. Gilliam's original post, before PTS was even launched, literally said they would monitor feedback and make adjustments as required. They led with that before showing us any changes.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/610438/update-35-combat-preview

"After these adjustments are live, we are going to focus on any resulting balance issues for the next few updates, hopefully reducing the chaotic nature of change for a brief period after the initial turbulence. We’ll be keeping a close eye on the discussions that come out of this, as well as the initial feedback over the upcoming PTS cycle. Since the scale of these changes is large in nature, please understand it may take more time for adjustments to come since changing one standard affects many specific abilities."
  • YoshinJaa
    YoshinJaa
    ✭✭✭
    Rimskjegg wrote: »
    This is looking better. All the points that have been mentioned above merit real, deep consideration, however. PLEASE take the time needed to address all this properly too.

If I may add one inch to the mountain: Duration passives still need an overhaul. DK rotations are already quite accessible on live: Refresh DoTs every 14 or 15 seconds, spam till reapply. Going dynamic with 10, 14, 15, 18 and 19.5 seconds would add a little bit of deeps for the top end but not necessary except in the most extreme content because the outliers in duration also have ok-ish upfront damage. But on the PTS I now have to consider both 15 second and 24 second DoTs. Much less accessible. Especially since some of those DoTs ramp up and do more damage at the end than upfront. And if the long sticky DoTs were meant as the accessible-rotation option, well, the 24 second DoTs still don't line up with the 20 second sticky ones like Poison Injection and Deadly Cloak, or Trap at 20 seconds +1.5 sec delay. I'm sure combining sticky 20 sec DoTs with other DoTs of 10, 12, 15 and all kinds of durations would still be interesting for the players who want more varied rotations.

This 100%, for accessibility
  • Danel_Vadan
    Danel_Vadan
    ✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    I don't understand this sentiment. Gilliam's original post, before PTS was even launched, literally said they would monitor feedback and make adjustments as required. They led with that before showing us any changes.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/610438/update-35-combat-preview

"After these adjustments are live, we are going to focus on any resulting balance issues for the next few updates, hopefully reducing the chaotic nature of change for a brief period after the initial turbulence. We’ll be keeping a close eye on the discussions that come out of this, as well as the initial feedback over the upcoming PTS cycle. Since the scale of these changes is large in nature, please understand it may take more time for adjustments to come since changing one standard affects many specific abilities."

Maybe it's the fact that the team is untrustworthy? I mean, this is from U34, penned by Gilliam.

"Greetings! It’s about that time of year where the latest Chapter is coming up soon. The Combat Team would like to talk about some of the changes coming in Update 34 and provide some insight on where we’re coming from. We’d like to say now that since this is the big Chapter of the year, we’re continuing with last year’s approach where we slow down on the large-scale combat changes since there’s already a lot of new systems and features to take in. That being said, we still have quite a few smaller adjustments coming, focusing on the usual bug fixing and hitting outliers that are problematic for the game."

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/602819/update-34-combat-preview
    Edited by Danel_Vadan on July 29, 2022 8:08PM
    Tam! RUGH!
  • ZOS_Finn
    ZOS_Finn
    Dungeon, Encounter
    & Monster Lead
    Hey Folks, one note regarding the content changes. I previously stated we wanted to gather as much information as possible to gauge the impact of combat changes on the content in the game. This is a multipronged approach which is a collaboration between the Combat, Dungeon and QA Teams as well as player feedback, logs and captures.

Given the overwhelming response and the wealth of information we have collected, we felt confident that we could make these content changes in order to ensure that the game maintained the challenge players are used to without a major shift in difficulty.

Again, thanks to all the community members that have logged on to PTS, played, reported and provided feedback, logs and video captures.
    Lead Encounter Designer (Dungeons, Monsters, Encounters)
    Staff Post
  • sbr32
    sbr32
    ✭✭✭✭

The problem with that is updates come every 3 months, so it will be 6-9 months at the earliest before the game they intentionally broke will begin to get fixed again.
    Edited by sbr32 on July 29, 2022 8:13PM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

We recognize there has been a lot of concern surrounding the combat changes currently on the PTS, and we truly believe with some continued adjustments and iterations, this is the best course of action for the long-term health of the game. We’re also working on a brief Q&A that should help address some of the more general questions surrounding these changes. Thanks for reading and, of course, taking the time to provide so much in-depth and valuable feedback.

Thanks for the update, Gina. I want the development team to know that the sets they release in every patch also contributes to the power creep in this game. It's not just on the players. Almost every few months, there is a new must-have set or two. This also makes it harder to just remain viable using older sets in the game. A year or so ago, older sets in the game were adjusted to make them better. However, as the newer sets increased in power, those older sets are falling behind again. This hurts build diversity and enforces a "meta". Please bring the older sets in the game up to the level of the new sets that are released.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Finn wrote: »
    Hey Folks, one note regarding the content changes. I previously stated we wanted to gather as much information as possible to gauge the impact of combat changes on the content in the game. This is a multipronged approach which is a collaboration between the Combat, Dungeon and QA Teams as well as player feedback, logs and captures.

Given the overwhelming response and the wealth of information we have collected, we felt confident that we could make these content changes in order to ensure that the game maintained the challenge players are used to without a major shift in difficulty.

Again, thanks to all the community members that have logged on to PTS, played, reported and provided feedback, logs and video captures.

Awesome. Nocturnals Ploy is a broken set that robs players gold.
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FluffyBird wrote: »

I have no trust.

Ok, fair, they did anticipate issues and adjustments.
    But it took them 4 weeks to announce content changes, not numbers, the fact of it.
    And that wording doesn't suggest the scale. That gives impression of wide but reasonable changes with moderate adjustments, not people unable to clear content
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm concerned that so many of these changes are coming in the final PTS patch, including class abilities tweaks and the proposed boss health changes to Vet PVE content.

Players may be able to test in that final week, but that not a lot of time for the Devs to respond to reasonable feedback. Nor is there time to test further iterations and tweaks if more changes are needed. Realistically, it seems like there's two options: either the final week's version goes Live or the Live version has untested changes added that we're now "testing" in the main game.

We've all experienced what happens when the Devs lets something go Live so they can gather more data before adjusting it. It can be as small as an unbalanced set or as massive as Scalebreaker's combat changes that were promptly reevaluated three months later in Dragonhold.

I do understand that the Devs are between the rock and hard place of DLC launch deadlines and needing to get this patch out the door. I'm glad to see that changes are being made to the original plan in response to community feedback and testing. I'm not sure there's any way to take more much-needed testing time for the Update.

However, the rapid pace and drastic nature of changes here at the end of the PTS cycle leaves me worried that we're going to get an unfinished and thus unbalanced Live version. Even if what we get is better than the first iteration, that does not mean that what we'll get is good.

And I cannot think of much that would be more damaging to community morale than for this patch to get rushed out and then have the next update or two be spent "fixing" all the stuff the Devs didn't fix before rolling this patch out. Your community already has change fatigue. If the Devs expect that they can come back in over the next couple updates and clean up this messy rollout with small or large changes, that's only going to make the change fatigue worse.

I'm going to end on a brief note about the other MMO-style game I play: Warframe. Their recent update Angels of the Zariman was terribly buggy at launch. Worse, it's quest needed to be nerfed in the first couple days, and two major combat elements they reworked in the update needed to be rebalanced again in the first week or so. Here's what the new Creative Director Rebecca Ford had to say about it:

"I should've held it another week … But there were a lot of reasons we couldn't. And then I started to understand those reasons. Every little thing matters. You're making a hundred micro decisions a day and then they add up. We can't move this update. By the end of the [launch] week we had a more stable build, but that's what stung the most."

Interview: https://www.pcgamer.com/warframe-is-getting-into-the-time-loop-business-with-the-duviri-paradox/

So while I understand the rock and the hard place that ESO's Devs must be in right now, and understand that the Devs may have no choice but to push this Live on time whatever the changes are and fix it later no matter the cost to already fatigued players...I hope they aren't left saying "I should've held it another week."
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's the fact that the team is untrustworthy? I mean, this is from U34, penned by Gilliam.

"Greetings! It’s about that time of year where the latest Chapter is coming up soon. The Combat Team would like to talk about some of the changes coming in Update 34 and provide some insight on where we’re coming from. We’d like to say now that since this is the big Chapter of the year, we’re continuing with last year’s approach where we slow down on the large-scale combat changes since there’s already a lot of new systems and features to take in. That being said, we still have quite a few smaller adjustments coming, focusing on the usual bug fixing and hitting outliers that are problematic for the game."

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/602819/update-34-combat-preview

But, that was for the chapter release. In which, they did slow down on adding major changes to the chapter, update 34. This is update 35, and entirely unrelated.
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sbr32 wrote: »

The problem with that is updates come every 3 months, so it will be 6-9 months at the earliest before the game they intentionally broke will begin to get fixed again.

I sincerely hope they meant PTS weekly updates
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Danel_Vadan The part immediately preceding the part that you bolded provided important context for what he wrote. He wrote, "since this is the big Chapter of the year" to imply that this restriction on big changes was applicable only for the U34 chapter release, presumably to prevent a repeat of their handling of Morrowind. I.e., he did not promise this for the whole year, just for Update 34.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • doesurmindglow
    doesurmindglow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm concerned that so many of these changes are coming in the final PTS patch, including class abilities tweaks and the proposed boss health changes to Vet PVE content.

Players may be able to test in that final week, but that not a lot of time for the Devs to respond to reasonable feedback. Nor is there time to test further iterations and tweaks if more changes are needed. Realistically, it seems like there's two options: either the final week's version goes Live or the Live version has untested changes added that we're now "testing" in the main game.

Yeah I wanted to add in here my support for delaying the release a week to give us one more solid iteration of testing before the changes roll out to ensure all the issues have been addressed.

The loss of revenue from the delay of a dungeon DLC pack will significantly pale in comparison to the financial impact that will be felt if the erosion of player trust is not addressed or changes that haven't been thoroughly tested are allowed to go live.

Another alternative if the dungeon DLC revenue must be realized on schedule is to simply untether the controversial balance changes from the expansion content; move the balance adjustments to an incremental patch. I realize this incurs a workload also but it's likely to be dwarfed in comparison to the workload of having to later revert an undertested balance change that the community has largely criticized.
    Guildmaster : The Wild Hunt (formerly Aka Baka) : AD PC/NA
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say i am pleasantly surprised. I still think the damage over time changes should be re-evaluated, especially concerning single target ones.
    I personally think every button press should be impactful in combat, however when i apply a damage over time effect, and it barely does any noticeable damage, i feel like that's just not impactful at all.

I also hope you guys can take the overwhelming amount of feedback about the new puncturing strikes, especially in regards to its damage, which is just lackluster, even compared to generic options.
    Channeled skills more so than any other abilities, carry high amounts of risk. Instant cast abilities can be dodge or block cancelled as the situation demands, and they still apply their full damage, however breaking a channel early can result in serious damage loss. I am perfectly fine with templar dps moving away from just "jabs spam", however some form of compensation would be warranted, if you are going to nerf our spammable by over 40%.
    And then there's the pvp implication, where this skill will just become useless, as it still carries the same risk of getting counter-attacked, but with much lesser of a payoff than before.
    Burning light should also regain it's pre Update 35 damage, but with the new 500 ms cooldown and proc condition.
    This would ensure that this passive is still impactful(which on the current pts its not), while retaining the flexibility you guys wanted to add to it.
  • pklemming
    pklemming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whilst the aim is good, the fact we are against a very short deadline before something is pushed live, is not.

At best, we will get a week 4 adjustments and tests, then we have no chance to run tests after that. Any changes in week 5 will just go Live. The timeframe seems extremely short.

I am not going to go in to specific changes until I see what we get on Monday. There is more than enough feedback in PTS and General, adding anything to it before we see the next patch is not very useful. I know what I am hoping is going to be changed. I am currently prepared to be disappointed.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno I'm just going to comment that this amount of communication is what our community has been wanting to see. It helps a significant amount to give us extra insight into the goals and reasonings for the changes that are being made.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • qcell
    qcell
    ✭✭✭
    Can this change come earlier than the last week?

We won't be able to give feedback on the various HP adjustments you can act upon if you only release it on the last week.
  • Rimskjegg
    Rimskjegg
    ✭✭✭

We've all experienced what happens when the Devs lets something go Live so they can gather more data before adjusting it. It can be as small as an unbalanced set or as massive as Scalebreaker's combat changes that were promptly reevaluated three months later in Dragonhold.

I do understand that the Devs are between the rock and hard place of DLC launch deadlines and needing to get this patch out the door. I'm glad to see that changes are being made to the original plan in response to community feedback and testing. I'm not sure there's any way to take more much-needed testing time for the Update.

However, the rapid pace and drastic nature of changes here at the end of the PTS cycle leaves me worried that we're going to get an unfinished and thus unbalanced Live version. Even if what we get is better than the first iteration, that does not mean that what we'll get is good.

And I cannot think of much that would be more damaging to community morale than for this patch to get rushed out and then have the next update or two be spent "fixing" all the stuff the Devs didn't fix before rolling this patch out. Your community already has change fatigue. If the Devs expect that they can come back in over the next couple updates and clean up this messy rollout with small or large changes, that's only going to make the change fatigue worse.

I'm going to end on a brief note about the other MMO-style game I play: Warframe. Their recent update Angels of the Zariman was terribly buggy at launch. Worse, it's quest needed to be nerfed in the first couple days, and two major combat elements they reworked in the update needed to be rebalanced again in the first week or so. Here's what the new Creative Director Rebecca Ford had to say about it:

"I should've held it another week … But there were a lot of reasons we couldn't. And then I started to understand those reasons. Every little thing matters. You're making a hundred micro decisions a day and then they add up. We can't move this update. By the end of the [launch] week we had a more stable build, but that's what stung the most."

Interview: https://www.pcgamer.com/warframe-is-getting-into-the-time-loop-business-with-the-duviri-paradox/

So while I understand the rock and the hard place that ESO's Devs must be in right now, and understand that the Devs may have no choice but to push this Live on time whatever the changes are and fix it later no matter the cost to already fatigued players...I hope they aren't left saying "I should've held it another week."

Well said! This post needs a Major Empower buff, we don't want it to be Major Prophecy!
    Edited by Rimskjegg on July 29, 2022 8:43PM
  • SeaUnicorn
    SeaUnicorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Finn wrote: »

What about the trial Healers? Especially mobile fights and healing check mechanics? There is still 40% nerf to mobile HOTs, they are still weird durations (10s on Radiating, 16s on Vigor) but lower power. Please don't forget about Healers!