The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Disconnecting with an 'Unknown Error' message.

• Maestro_Sartori
    Maestro_Sartori
    ✭✭✭
    Guess you can add me to this growing list....happened to me last night out of nowhere. And it doesn't have anything to do with your router settings as I'm DMZ'd....
  • SirCaptainCrunch
    SirCaptainCrunch
    Soul Shriven
    How many of you with this issue are using Arris brand cable modems with built in router/wifi functionality?
  • Variante
    Variante
    Also having this problem since Sunday, had Comcast replaced and tested line from cable box to home, replaced pins, did a swap on netgear, surfboard, and Ubee modem and made sure it is not the modem, tested several cat5e and cat6 lines until everything on the user side ISP is clean. Updated the Realtek ethernet card driver from website, along with GPU and Windows up-to-latest. Still getting this problem. Hopefully this maintenance does fix this issue, as user side resources are exhausted.
  • johnbagnoli_ESO
    How many of you with this issue are using Arris brand cable modems with built in router/wifi functionality?

I do. As per ZOS suggestion I was talking with Comcast last night. They were very polite and (no surprise) didn't think it was on their end. They did a bit of troubleshooting, reset the signal yadda yadda yadda. I've already done everything else on this thread except a complete reinstall. So I started that overnight, got up t his morning and have not been able to test it with the servers down.

• Maestro_Sartori
    Maestro_Sartori
    ✭✭✭
    Quit trying to troubleshoot this with your modems, routers, isp's, etc. This is their issue not yours

• tjrankb16_ESO
    tjrankb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I really do think there are multiple issues here. I never once had a disconnect until 1220 PM yesterday. I logged out and could login in only to have the character screen flash before the dreaded Unknown error. I have 2 different high speed ISPs at home that are completely independent - neither worked (using a wired connection) through different routers. It did not work on a different PC. It's hard to believe 2 providers suddenly got the same issue at the same time...
    Support response left me confused - all they said was to run the Game Consultant. Not sure how the hell that fixes anything. See below - am I missing something?

I would like to ask you to perform the following process from The Elder Scrolls Online launcher:

• Open the ESO Launcher.
    • Click on the Gear icon in the upper-right hand corner.
    • Click the About tab.
    • Click the Game Consultant button.
    • Click Run Test to create the data log.

This function will generate an msinfo, a DxDiag, as well as a pathping in order to fully diagnose the issue at hand. You will then be able to open the report from the Game Consultant, or open the report location so that you can access and move the file itself. Please note that DxDiag is only a diagnostic tool that collects technical information on computers.

If the problem persists or if you have any more questions about this or other issues, please contact us again.
  • Maestro_Sartori
    Maestro_Sartori
    ✭✭✭
    Read the post above lol
  • Cannyone
    Cannyone
    NoirJ wrote: »
    ZOS_EveP wrote: »
    Hi guys,

First try to run the repair function.

If the issue persists after running a repair make sure that nothing is impairing your connectivity (For instance if you're using wireless, try a to connect via cable, make sure your firewall or your router are not blocking the game)

If you are on Mac you can also try this small trick:
    Remove the QuickTime plugin from its default location (by default /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.plugin) and place it on your desktop (Note: do not delete it. Just move it).

I'm sorry but that's a stock answer, there's an issue here either with the way the traffic to your infrastructure is being handled by some ISPs, or its with your infrastructure itself; server side or with your network.

Please don't get people chasing their tails.

Thank You NoirJ for setting this misinformed person straight! I am using a cable not wireless. I have made sure my firewall isn't blocking ESO. And, if they would tell me which ports to open on my Router I would do so.

But yesterday I had this happen at least 9 times. With 3 of those happening in a period of less than 5 minutes. And when I sent in a bug report on it... It stopped happening.

Also I've been having lots of issues that seem to be server related. Mobs that are "un-lootable" and / or "un-killable". Mobs that disappear immediately after killing them. And mobs and harvesting nodes that disappear as I approach.

On top of that I now know why my "in-game" tickets aren't being replied to in a timely fashion... Because they have "Support Personnel" in here passing out pat answers instead of helping players. *doublefacepalm*
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quit trying to troubleshoot this with your modems, routers, isp's, etc. This is their issue not yours

Indeed. When I can get on and play SWTOR with absolutely no issue, that pretty much confirms it.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • SirCaptainCrunch
    SirCaptainCrunch
    Soul Shriven
    Just inquiring about the Arris modem because it appears that, at least preliminarily, that having Comcast change the Arris to function as a cable modem only and using a separate router solved the issue for a friend.

I agree though, that this seems to be a multifactorial problem based on all the diverse locations, hardware, ISP's etc that are affected. This particular game may also be extremely sensitive to packet loss, unlike other games (and hence only having issues with this game).
  • johnbagnoli_ESO
    Just inquiring about the Arris modem because it appears that, at least preliminarily, that having Comcast change the Arris to function as a cable modem only and using a separate router solved the issue for a friend.

Yeah... that's what I was thinking. I should know better with these crappy modem/routers from Comcast. Although I don't think I'm going to go buy a router just for this game.
  • OptimusHodge
    FIX!
    So I was being disconected ever 2 mins at least and, as I posted before, the game would run fine if I used my iPads 4G connection. What I have just tried, and has appeared to work, is unplugging everything from my router, except the phone in line, then used an Ethernet cable to connect to my PC. Previously, I was using an Apple Airport (3gig).
  • Zebular
    Zebular
    ✭✭
    FIX!
    So I was being disconected ever 2 mins at least and, as I posted before, the game would run fine if I used my iPads 4G connection. What I have just tried, and has appeared to work, is unplugging everything from my router, except the phone in line, then used an Ethernet cable to connect to my PC. Previously, I was using an Apple Airport (3gig).
    How did you just try this when the server has been down for quite some time? On top of that, you'll need to play for a couple hours to make sure, as sometimes it doesn't happen for an hour or so.
    Edited by Zebular on April 2, 2014 2:58PM
    Mysté [ Breton Femaile • DC • Daedric Storm Sorcereress; Dest/Rest • Alchemist ]
    Old Zeb [ Imperial Male • DC • Dark Storm Sorcerer; Dest/Rest • Enchanter ]
    Rarymwr Rua'srrii-mrha'Ra [ Kahjiit Male • AD • Draconic Earthen Dragonknight; Dual/1HS • Blacksmith ]
    Zebular [ Dark Elf Male • EP • Shadow Assassin Nightblade; Bow/Rest • Woodworker ]
    Zebular Ilyturials [ Imperial Male • DC • Draconic Ardent Dragonknight; 1HS/2H • Provisioner ]
    Zyza [ Kahjiit Vampire Female • DC • Siphoning Assassin Nightblade; Dual/Bow • Clothier ]
  • SirCaptainCrunch
    SirCaptainCrunch
    Soul Shriven
    I've never been a fan of Arris hardware, but that is just a personal bias. I'm just curious how many people with this issue are using an Arris combo cable modem/wifi router. I obviously don't believe it is the sole cause of the disconnection problems- but anyone with this type of modem/router combo who has a separate router to use might try disabling the router function of the modem unit and employ the separate router just to see if it remedies the problem.

-

Yeah... that's what I was thinking. I should know better with these crappy modem/routers from Comcast. Although I don't think I'm going to go buy a router just for this game.

I see your point- one could spend WAY too much money trying to troubleshoot this problem with new hardware only to be left with an empty wallet and a game which continues to disconnect! I suppose you could always buy a cheap router, try it out, and return it if it didn't help.

• decovca
    decovca
    Zebular wrote: »
    FIX!
    How did you just try this when the server has been down for quite some time? On top of that, you'll need to play for a couple hours to make sure, as sometimes it doesn't happen for an hour or so.

I think he was talking about the EU megaserver.
    "We are bringing the North American megaserver down for maintenance. We'll let everyone know when this operation is over as soon as we have an update. Thanks for your patience!"
  • OptimusHodge
    decovca wrote: »
    FIX!

I think he was talking about the EU megaserver.
    "We are bringing the North American megaserver down for maintenance. We'll let everyone know when this operation is over as soon as we have an update. Thanks for your patience!"

Yeah, I'm on the EU.

Even during beta I was never able to maintain connection for more than a few minutes. I must have tried about 30 to 40 times over the last few days to play with no luck, so I've been using my iPad data. First time I tried using my PC as the only connection to the internet in the house and I've been playing freely for half an hour or so

EDIT: Well over an hour playing and still fine. It mustn't have liked what was going on between my PC and my router.
    Edited by OptimusHodge on April 2, 2014 3:55PM
  • BrandonJK
    BrandonJK
    Just putting my comment in that its happening to me. on NA server and about every 20-30 mins. Internet is through a wifi tethered phone(sprint). I've repaired, tried usb tether, checked firewalls. Nothing helping.
  • SenselessChip
    SenselessChip
    ✭✭
    I don't even get disconnected anymore, it just keeps me in the unplayable game until I get bored of waiting and quit. Logging out doesn't work as it just keeps me in there longer. This is ridiculous, if they ever fix this bug do you think they will give us the days we have lost back?
  • SenselessChip
    SenselessChip
    ✭✭
    Just found something very interesting. After you have clicked play and you get onto this screen, look at the text in the top left corner. It says 'Level Unknown Class.' Does it say the same for you guys? The reason I am level 7 is because I managed to play for a few hours Monday night, since then and before then I haven't.
  • Zebular
    Zebular
    ✭✭
    Just found something very interesting. After you have clicked play and you get onto this screen, look at the text in the top left corner. It says 'Level Unknown Class.' Does it say the same for you guys? The reason I am level 7 is because I managed to play for a few hours Monday night, since then and before then I haven't.

Nope, I don't have this. Sounds like a separate bug you should probably file in the bug reports forum.
    Mysté [ Breton Femaile • DC • Daedric Storm Sorcereress; Dest/Rest • Alchemist ]
    Old Zeb [ Imperial Male • DC • Dark Storm Sorcerer; Dest/Rest • Enchanter ]
    Rarymwr Rua'srrii-mrha'Ra [ Kahjiit Male • AD • Draconic Earthen Dragonknight; Dual/1HS • Blacksmith ]
    Zebular [ Dark Elf Male • EP • Shadow Assassin Nightblade; Bow/Rest • Woodworker ]
    Zebular Ilyturials [ Imperial Male • DC • Draconic Ardent Dragonknight; 1HS/2H • Provisioner ]
    Zyza [ Kahjiit Vampire Female • DC • Siphoning Assassin Nightblade; Dual/Bow • Clothier ]
  • DanBlackfyre
    DanBlackfyre
    ✭✭
    Yes.. server load is directly proportional to both the amount of gamebreaking lag and also the amount of unknown errors.
  • wunahokalugi

Will check haven't noticed.

I'm hoping today's NA patch helps.

I'm racking up a wireless bill working around an internet connection that works perfectly fine for every other game/streaming etc, just to get to use any of my early access.
  • Tuonelan
    Tuonelan
    ✭✭

Nope, I don't have this. Sounds like a separate bug you should probably file in the bug reports forum.

Done have this either, however, now I get the error around the "Requesting Character Load" section and then popping to unknown error.
  • ZOS_AmeliaR
    ZOS_AmeliaR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone. We are aware that this issue is ongoing and are continuing to investigate. With the goal of consolidating threads related to this, please refer to this new thread: "Unknown Error" Received Upon Disconnecting. We are closing this thread in the meantime and encourage everyone here to provide the information requested in the new thread. Thank you.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.