The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Disconnecting with an 'Unknown Error' message.

SenselessChip
SenselessChip
✭✭
I went through Coldharbour with no problems but after I had left and was on the loading screen for the next area I got disconnected with an 'Unknown Error' message. I logged back in and fell to my death in Coldharbour, respawned and tried again. The same thing happened. On the third time I managed to get to the next area, only for it to happen there as well. Please help, I want to play the game!!
We have contacted our Customer support team to help you solve your issue.
  • Jiimmyruk
    Jiimmyruk
    also having this problem mate
  • marko.greguric92nrb19_ESO
    The same thing is happening to me. And that is IF I am able to log into my character.
  • SenselessChip
    SenselessChip
    ✭✭
    Its so annoying when I get on and see people playing with no issues and I disconnect a few seconds later...
  • OddballEasyEight
    Yup, I kept getting this in the last beta and I was worried this would keep happening when it went live.
    People kept telling me not to worry, "it'll all be fixed by the time they go live".

I hope this is fixed soon because as it stands, this makes the game largely unplayable.
    Getting disconnected randomly at relatively short intervalls is not accpetable for a game of this caliber. (and price)
    Edited by OddballEasyEight on March 30, 2014 11:30AM
  • SenselessChip
    SenselessChip
    ✭✭
    It happened to me in both betas, so far, I have never reached level 4
  • SenselessChip
    SenselessChip
    ✭✭
    Are you guys on the EU servers? Because it might have to do with the fact that they are still running the EU servers from North America
  • CaptainTrips
    CaptainTrips
    ✭✭
    Same thing is happening to me and yes I'm on the EU server
  • DanzibarBrasil
    I'm in Brazil ... And the same thing happened to me a few minutes ... I was playing ... and suddenly .... closed the game .... And now I can not log ...
  • OddballEasyEight
    I'm on the EU server, but I've been in two beta weekends, one where they only had the one server and one where they had both and I was on the EU one.
    Only happened with the EU server.

But it shouldn't make a difference since they are both located in the states atm.
  • marko.greguric92nrb19_ESO
    So, to update, it's happening whenever I try to change a zone. I ALWAYS get disconected. When I try to log back in, I have a 20% chance to log onto my character (loging to the char screens works fine). When I do succeed to log into the world, I am always in the zone which I tried to leave. I tried connecting to the game over a VPN, and when I do that, I have no problems at all. As a bandage, that is okay, but in the long run, I don't want to play that way.
    I don't know if it is worth mentioning, but I am living in a student dorm, so I have almost no control over my internet connection.
  • skiiro
    skiiro
    having this problem aswell, betas, and now.. have tried to fix every possible thing that could be a problem from my end but nothing helpes. Getting this unknown error extremly often and are starting to get really annoyed, especially since the only answer support gave me was "have you tried turning of your firewall" and havent heard from them since.
  • PAGtheWhack
    same to me
  • Xyalon
    Xyalon
    Given that this seems to be happening to a large number of people, it'd be nice if it was at least acknowledged...
    Lapsed Pacifist.
  • knblatt_ESO
    knblatt_ESO
    ✭✭
    I am also having this problem. I am able to play for a few minutes, then get logged off with unknown error.

Edit: I'm on NA server.
    Edited by knblatt_ESO on March 30, 2014 3:24PM
  • Xyalon
    Xyalon
    I am also having this problem. I am able to play for a few minutes, then get logged off with unknown error

Are you actually able to play? Because when that happens to me I can't interact with anything, I can't even draw my weapons. I'm just stuck running around and then when I manage to reconnect I'm back where I started.
    Lapsed Pacifist.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yup, as expected their megafailu... sorry, "megaserver" is already starting to bug out.
    Who wants to bet that sometime in May we'll start to see individual regional servers replace these?
  • Dominulf
    Dominulf
    ✭✭✭
    This is happening to my non-stop. I did not have this issue in the beta events. Here's an image.

http://puu.sh/7PxAS.jpg

"We will make sure that no matter where you live, every player in North America, Europe, Oceania, and many places beyond will have a polished, lag-free launch experience," Firor promised
    The Elder Scrolls Online - Where the best spells are AoEs and the strongest weapon is a Shield!

"I used to be the most beloved roleplaying series of a generation... but then I took $14.99/mo to the knee."
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dominulf wrote: »
    "We will make sure that no matter where you live, every player in North America, Europe, Oceania, and many places beyond will have a polished, lag-free launch experience," Firor promised

Make sure the game review websites are informed.

• alex22wattb16_ESO
    Xyalon wrote: »
    I am also having this problem. I am able to play for a few minutes, then get logged off with unknown error

Are you actually able to play? Because when that happens to me I can't interact with anything, I can't even draw my weapons. I'm just stuck running around and then when I manage to reconnect I'm back where I started.

I have the exact same issue. Just running around, not able to interact with anything until I get the "unknown error" and get booted. I actually received a phone call from customer service, but I could barely understand the guy and he clearly had no clue what he was talking about. The only advise I gathered was to "disable automatic proxy" and to turn off my firewall. I am currently trying a re-install so I wont be able to try any of his "helpful advise" for another few hours.
    Edited by alex22wattb16_ESO on March 30, 2014 3:54PM
  • Brozgar
    Brozgar
    I can't get in. First there were multiple crashes (including the unknown error), now I'm stuck on a message "Requesting character load" - for 10 minutes. I so don't want to start creating character from scratch again (spent over 30 minutes on this one)...
  • ZOS_EveP
    ZOS_EveP
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

First try to run the repair function.

If the issue persists after running a repair make sure that nothing is impairing your connectivity (For instance if you're using wireless, try a to connect via cable, make sure your firewall or your router are not blocking the game)

If you are on Mac you can also try this small trick:
    Remove the QuickTime plugin from its default location (by default /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.plugin) and place it on your desktop (Note: do not delete it. Just move it).
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Dominulf
    Dominulf
    ✭✭✭
    Brozgar wrote: »
    I can't get in. First there were multiple crashes (including the unknown error), now I'm stuck on a message "Requesting character load" - for 10 minutes. I so don't want to start creating character from scratch again (spent over 30 minutes on this one)...

I know your pain. I finally just sped rush created a character so I could play. I'm constantly getting kicked out of quests, while reading books, etc. I'll probably just buy a cash shop item at some point to fine tune my character looks. Really sucky.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - Where the best spells are AoEs and the strongest weapon is a Shield!

"I used to be the most beloved roleplaying series of a generation... but then I took $14.99/mo to the knee."
  • NoirJ
    NoirJ
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_EveP wrote: »
    Hi guys,

First try to run the repair function.

If the issue persists after running a repair make sure that nothing is impairing your connectivity (For instance if you're using wireless, try a to connect via cable, make sure your firewall or your router are not blocking the game)

If you are on Mac you can also try this small trick:
    Remove the QuickTime plugin from its default location (by default /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.plugin) and place it on your desktop (Note: do not delete it. Just move it).

I'm sorry but that's a stock answer, there's an issue here either with the way the traffic to your infrastructure is being handled by some ISPs, or its with your infrastructure itself; server side or with your network.

Please don't get people chasing their tails.

• Drewls
    Drewls
    So what if we are currently playing on shared wifi, am I ***? I get this same problem, I don't have access to this router at all
  • Nabren
    Nabren
    I have had this problem in every beta that I have been a part of. I have tried everything. Repairing the installation, reinstalling from scratch and disabling my firewall.

I get disconnected at random intervals sometimes short and sometimes longer... typically every 5-30 minutes I am kicked back to the login screen with "An unknown error has occured". Upon logging back in my character is often rolled back several minutes as well position wise. (I keep all XP, quest status and items)

Out of curiosity... is anyone experiencing this that didn't play in the beta or that didn't install the ESO survey? I am wondering if it's linked to that.. but I have uninstalled the survey and reinstalled the game since then. But I am wondering if it leaves a trail that uninstall doesn't fix.
  • Dominulf
    Dominulf
    ✭✭✭
    Nabren wrote: »

I get disconnected at random intervals sometimes short and sometimes longer... typically every 5-30 minutes I am kicked back to the login screen with "An unknown error has occured". Upon logging back in my character is often rolled back several minutes as well position wise. (I keep all XP, quest status and items)

That's exactly what happens to me. I did participate in beta. I did not run into this bug during beta. I did not take the survey or instal it.

• vbraun23
    vbraun23
    I can not play this horrible, an expensive game with this many bugs .. = /
  • SenselessChip
    SenselessChip
    ✭✭
    I am trying to find ESO in my documents so I can make sure my Firewall allows it, but I have no idea where it is? Any help?
    Edited by SenselessChip on March 30, 2014 5:57PM
  • NoirJ
    NoirJ
    ✭✭✭
    @SenselessChip
    Default location is:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online EU
    Edited by NoirJ on March 30, 2014 5:58PM
  • SenselessChip
    SenselessChip
    ✭✭
    NoirJ wrote: »