The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How interested are you in playing tales of tribute (the card game)?

• Einher2137
    Einher2137
    ✭✭✭
    Neutral. I don't feel strongly and/or have mixed feeling about it.
    How can i change in poll from Neutral to Really disinterested? I just saw that decks of two people will mix in match, for me who was playing a lot of deck builders - THIS IS DISGUSTING.
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Disinterested. I don't want to play it, I don't think I'll enjoy the game.
    lol, nowhere near enough to bring me back, sorry. Even less interested now I have seen it.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Really disinterested. I don't want to play it at all, I think I'll hate it.
    But by the looks of it I believe I won't be changing my daily endeavor and log off routine. Especially with those lousy rewards

This…this is the reason why I foresee ZOS adding OP mythic leads in this stupid card game. The reaction to it has already been underwhelming, and people are already realizing the rewards are subpar. ZOS will need to boost engagement in order to justify production costs of the ToT. How to do this? Mythic leads. It’s the only way they can guarantee that the majority will play it.

Edited by The_Lex on April 17, 2022 12:41PM
  • FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Interested. I think I'll enjoy and play it for a while.
    LonePirate wrote: »
    Ouch! Just saw the poll results on the first page.

Interested and Really Interested = 19%

Disinterested and Really Disinterested = 58%

That's a 3 to 1 advantage for the disinterested players. This feature is shaping up to be a colossal failure.

I don't want to see ESO suffer so hopefully this setback will inspire ZOS to give players what they want instead of giving them something an executive or bean counter likes.

The forum makes up a very small percentage of the player base and is often the very vocal minority so the polls on here don't truly express how the entire community actually feels.

I have to disagree.
    The forum community is representative of the community as a whole when you look at it in percentages using Statistical Sampling.
    The "Nielsen Ratings" for T.V. shows take a base group of apprx 41,000 households and can rate the viewing habits of 130 million viewers. The same is true here.
    We may make up a small part of the community here in forums, but if you apply Statistical Sampling, we represent the same percentage of the whole group.
    So, yes, the feedback in forums can reflect the views of the community as a whole.
    Just my 2 drakes..
    Huzzah!

While that is true to television I personally don't think it applies here very well. In my experience in this game I have seen new features get torn apart in the forums before they release but now they are widely accepted and enjoyed. I even remember a time on the forums when the warden class was poorly received as pay to win. I'm not saying peoples complaints are invalid but sometimes we need to accept that not all features are going to cater to our own wants. Personally I'm not big into card games but I am interested to give it a try and see how I like it instead of immediately disliking it.
  • biovitalb16_ESO
    biovitalb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. (please, precise your answer in the comments)
    Absolutely 0 interest in playing it. I am not logging into an MMO to stare at a deck of cards, if I wanted to do that I would load up MTG Arena not ESO.

It's just another way for them to make money. Gonna call it now, "booster packs" for this card game will eventually pop up in the crown store when they expand upon it in future DLC/Chapters.
    Edited by biovitalb16_ESO on April 17, 2022 2:25PM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    And making the card game an unavoidable part of the questline is a great way to ensure I'll never play this DLC.

As far as I know, it's not part of the main quest - but will have its own quest line. They haven't gone into detail much, but I think it's like something like a league and you travel several places to meet different npcs to challenge them one after another. Rewards would be (among others?) a pet and a houseguest (most probably someone you encountered during that quest line). So it remains optional.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FluffWit wrote: »
    Hearing them talk about the fabulous rewards without listing a single specific unique reward made me laugh. Dude finished by saying you can get transmute crystals! 🤦‍♂️

Yeah they were super vague about rewards, they mentioned stuff like emotes too but I don't think I've ever had a use for any emotes. They didn't say anything about the drop rate of transmute crystals either so for all we know it could drop a maximum of 1 transmute stone per day or something negligible. Just judging by how stupidly rare and low the transmute stones drop from dragons, I am super skeptical of the quality and quantity of rewards for what seems like another chore.
  • Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should have been a choice lower than "Really disinterested. I don't want to play it at all, I think I'll hate it.", because that doesn't really hit the level of disinterest I have in a card game, especially in a game that is frequently unplayable due to lag and other issues.

But maybe this is one of the performance improvements they are working on? I guess if they can get 8% of their players to sit down in a tavern and not move, the rest of us may get better performance?
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything that gives me something cute and interactable for my house, ill be interested in. Still hoping some kind of card table will be available as a reward. Especially if I can engage with it with my companions (perhaps in the future?). I also like that something game-like has been added to taverns. Would love to see more of this type of stuff added in the future. Just, you know, not as the main selling point of an entire Chapter. ;)
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I started getting bored very quickly when they began talking about it in the stream. When they began playing I was forced to prop my eyelids open with matchsticks. After they had a couple of turns each I was passed out on the floor.

So

No
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Really disinterested, I don't want to play it at all, I think I'll hate it, covers it completely except the think part. I know I would hate it if I intended to buy chapter and since that's all that's offered with this chapter I'll save myself the mental anguish.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just watched the stream w/Tales of Tribute.

The ToT looks like a decent mobile game or appetizer for a big game update, not a selling point at all. I will be taking a pass on High Isle.

Sorry to all the great people that worked on it, the cycle/casual content strategy is getting stale, not your work.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on April 17, 2022 11:56PM
  • LordRukia
    LordRukia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tldr rage post inc

Reminiscent of the garbage mini games WoW added like the farm in pandaria or order hall. Content you'll surely be forced to do for certain rewards to bump up engagement metrics but is otherwise the opposite of fun.

If I wanted a card game I'd download one on my phone , there is literally already an elder scrolls card game isn't there . It's like we are being trolled by these devs.

I am a competitive player and have played Gwent and all the card games in final fantasy through the years I have also played hearthstone, optimism falls short on this bland looking mini game compared to ones I have played . It is missing animation and sound quality, they didn't even put effort into it . A mobile tcg is superior and there is no point to collect cards.

How can it be competitive when you can't even build your own unique deck . Apparently others will use your cards too. 🤔 Makes no sense to me but ok, if I can skip it completely I will but watch certain mythics or whatever being locked behind it.

This game is turning into WoW more and more ever since cp2.0, antiquities etc. I'm tired of systems I just want new engaging content like new class or skills to play with , they could have spent their time on many other things. I'm afraid we will keep getting stuff like this crap touted as main features. No, this is side content which should be added on a free patch.

I suspect this is just filler to milk the uber casuals even more , you know the ones that drop hundreds on housing and other crap . I wonder how long until the crown store is filled with the cards because we all know that's why it was developed for $$$$ .

Just sad honestly disappointed. I thought this was an action combat game but I suppose I was mistaken , we all wanted to be locked into a UI this whole time obviously.. thx zos

• TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Its unnecessarily complicated and boring imo

What they said...

At first I was interested but after seeing how complicated it is I have lost interest.
  • DagenHawk
    DagenHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really interested. I think i'll enjoy and play it a lot
    No one is as upset as they pretend to be...

They never are.

• Crismac
    Crismac
    ✭✭✭
    Deter1UK wrote: »
    Well I started getting bored very quickly when they began talking about it in the stream. When they began playing I was forced to prop my eyelids open with matchsticks. After they had a couple of turns each I was passed out on the floor.

So

No

We have that in common. This was when they announced the card game a while back.

wrj4cq12krjc.png

• Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    First glimpse of it and I'm very overwhelmed. They claim it's easy to play but hard to master, but it seems a bit complicated. I think it's the whole deal about cards being reshuffled after every turn that's throwing me off. I can understand there being two separate win conditions, but the way the playing cards are handled is jumbling me up. I'll have to spend A LOT of time getting used to it, and frankly I'm absolutely terrible at multi-tasking. I'm already planning on working with Ember on top of my usual exploration and questing.

I can’t wait for my characters to meet Ember!
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not interested, but I might be if I could play with my companions. Can we? My characters hang around with companions most of the time, but we can’t really interact. If Tamriel citizens like to go to the tavern and play cards, then I’d expect Bastion and Mirri (and Ember and Isobel) would want to do this, too. In which case, my characters might consider joining them.

It would be so awesome if the npcs we could play against included our companions that I gave this post an awesome! 😊
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was pretty upset to find out the card game was this years mechanic after what feels like the past 2 years being "casual" specific in that they're largely based on "minigames" instead of expanding the core concept of this game; combat. If they do introduce combat related mechanics like weapons, a class, a guild or spellcrafting, we're now going to have to wait until year 9, 4 years after Necromancers came to the game. That is just absurd.

Had the card game been included with a combat related improvement like how they had Battlegrounds included with Warden or Jewelry Crafting included with Psijic Order, people would be a lot more supportive of the mechanic, but this is not enough.

That being said, I try to enjoy whatever they put out. I don't like companions, but still look forward to trying the sorc companion just for the added sorc power fantasy and min maxing it as much as I can, even though I know they're practically worthless..

So looking forward to what the card game could be, I was hoping it was at least well made with some unique ways to expand our theory crafting. So far, the stream has told me 1 thing. This card game looks bland. I'm less interested then I was before it was shown and thats to say I wasn't very interested at all.

I hope I'm wrong, here are my pain points at first glance:
    1. Theory crafting and build creation are staples of why I and many other players love ESO. It's the benefit of having a horisontal progression system. The fact that you need to pick 2 decks that then get combined with your opponents decks kill any hope I had of this being somewhat competitive or unique. We're not only fighting against RNG of the cards, but we can draw our opponents cards or they will take our cards. It sounds like a great way to destroy the 1 thing that is universally adored by card games like this.. Collecting and building cards decks.
    2. The game just simply doesn't look fun, what we were shown was turn after turn of each player playing every card in their hand, just to get an entirely new hand and have the burn pile be recycled back into their hand again. How many times did they replay that same card that allows you to burn up to 2 cards from your draw pile? 5 times? 6 times? Come on.
    3. Comparing this to Hearthstone or Legends.. where is the fighting between both sides? Are we really just collecting and spending gold? You mentioned agents in the stream, yet neither of you bought a single agent which leads us to believe they just aren't important. It doesn't look engaging, it looks like we can completely avoid them.
    4. The art, effects and design. The card game is instanced and takes you out of the game completely. Wouldn't it be more interesting if we could see other people around us who could spectate. We could see our opponent sitting in front of us, your character could make idle animations and react to the cards that were played. The cards themselves could have beautiful art you want to view and collect. The board could have animations and effects, explosions, fireworks, etc. Being able to watch would create a card dueling community in towns that anyone could watch by walking up, instead it looks like we get teleported away into nothingness to play in a black void with a locked view.

Where is the thinking outside the box here? Just like companions, it feels like you're scraping the bottom of the barrel. This could be something great, but it needs much more developement and I fear like companions, you won't expand on them in the coming years and call it a day.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on April 18, 2022 5:42AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So

No

I have a feeling that this is just a teensy weenie bit of exaggeration. Did you have smelling salts handy to help revive yourself after you passed out? 🙂
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other. (please, precise your answer in the comments)
    I'm not interested in the card game and I don't think it fits into ESO (yes, I know there are other games that have a card game) - antiquities hunting is something completely different, that fits well into the gameplay as an activity which you can do while questing. It's also annoying that interesting objects for housing will be tied to the card game.
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What would make this one irritated, is that ZOS will tie the card game to the endeavours.

Imagine spending hours on the bloody card game just to earn 100 endeavours points.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    BretonMage wrote: »
    And making the card game an unavoidable part of the questline is a great way to ensure I'll never play this DLC.

As far as I know, it's not part of the main quest - but will have its own quest line. They haven't gone into detail much, but I think it's like something like a league and you travel several places to meet different npcs to challenge them one after another. Rewards would be (among others?) a pet and a houseguest (most probably someone you encountered during that quest line). So it remains optional.

Thanks for clarifying. A system that is optional like Battlegrounds sounds a lot more palateable, though still annoying. I still have enormous quest arrows everywhere spamming me about Battlegrounds. I'd take Stuga any day over those.
  • Einar_Hrafnarsson
    Einar_Hrafnarsson
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do not plan to buy high isle unless it will have some actual content beside the Story. This Card game is a utter waste of development ressources.
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »

So

No

I have a feeling that this is just a teensy weenie bit of exaggeration. Did you have smelling salts handy to help revive yourself after you passed out? 🙂

I have a wife and adult daughter.
    At no time am I allowed to looked relaxed; even if unconscious from induced tedium. So smelling salts are not required in my life!
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    During the ESO Live demonstration/explanation, and as someone who has never played one of these types of card games, either virtually or irl, all I kept thinking was, to paraphrase Jester Queen Ayrenn: "Uh... what?".
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a former MTG player, "card game" and "predatory monetization" occupy the same entry on my dictionary.
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s “not impossible” to add a new skill line, for whatever that’s worth. I’d rather hear it’s “100% happening in the future”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccftech.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-high-isle-preview-qa-fsr-1-0-support-card-game-and-much-more/amp/

The card game is probably a way to add something without slowing servers down, and I kind of look forward to playing it since I’ve always wanted more RP related stuff that can be done in a tavern. 90% of what I enjoy in the game is theorycrafting, testing out new combinations for combat. They get a pass from me this time because there’s more than enough changes to everything with the hybridization and upcoming skill updates to keep me occupied

But that live stream, I’m interested in the game but that was too tedious, I actually stopped halfway. Its best to live stream a barrage of exciting stuff rather than a tutorial. I like to golf, but hate watching golf on tv
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Number_51 wrote: »
    During the ESO Live demonstration/explanation, and as someone who has never played one of these types of card games, either virtually or irl, all I kept thinking was, to paraphrase Jester Queen Ayrenn: "Uh... what?".

I did play a few of these card games but I was still confused during the stream :D

I also don't think it really fits into the world of ESO. They emphasized in that livestream that ToT would be something plausible, something the people of Tamriel would really play in their free time, something realistic - uhm, no. I mean, Nirn isn't a 1:1 copy of our real world, but if you compare it to real historical card games... No. Which is a pity as the furniture game tables are all based on real world historical games like this, which was renamed "foxes and felines" in ESO:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hounds_and_jackals
    Or this, as "Swan Stones":
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeast_Asian_mancala
    I'd rather have them make these playable (but not as a main chapter content, of course). But of course I know that probably more people would be interested in playing some GWENT clone card game (if at all) than a realistic historical one...
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the game active on the PTS hopefully a player will be able to answer the question of whether invites can be turned off since ZOS appears to not care to answer it themselves.