The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How interested are you in playing tales of tribute (the card game)?

• Adventurer
    Adventurer
    ✭✭✭
    Really interested. I think i'll enjoy and play it a lot
    I just checked the cards and I have to say I expected more combo cards and interesting actions like the Psijic deck has, as opposed to just "gain prestige/power" or how the whole Red Eagle deck is just about discarding your cards.

Some of them don't look that good, tbh, hopefully during PTS they will take feedback into account, as I'm guessing some of those deck will need to be boosted to be competititive with the other decks.

• Kalle_Demos
    Kalle_Demos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really disinterested. I don't want to play it at all, I think I'll hate it.
    I don't even understand why this thing exists. Like, what was the reason?

WHY.gif

"If I am to be Queen, I must look fear in the face and conquer it. How can I ask my people to have faith in me if I don't have faith in myself?" - Queen Ayrenn
  • captainwolfos
    captainwolfos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Disinterested. I don't want to play it, I don't think I'll enjoy the game.
    I didn't play Caravan in FONV; I don't know how to play Gwent or Hearthstone, and have barely played the Elder Scrolls card game I've forgotten the name of. I doubt I'll be playing this to any great extent.

That being said, I wonder if skipping the tutorial quest will stop randos from spamming game invites? And will skipping the tutorial quest be worth avoiding the inevitable NPC that yells the same line of dialogue at you to get your attention?
    Enemy of Boob Plates
    For the Covenant! For the High King!
    Solo Player | PVEer | Not caring about PVP since 1992
    Spill some blood for me, dear brother
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. (please, precise your answer in the comments)
    The_Lex wrote: »
    And make no mistake, mythic leads may not initially be a reward, but if reception to the card game is lukewarm, they WILL add them to boost engagement.

I can't wait for the crown only cards! And the gem exclusives!

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    This card game is a spit in the face to Battlegrounds players. We've been asking for ranked competitive BGs for a long time.

Instead, they give us a ranked competitive card game. Very disappointed.

PvP is a tacked on mini game that less than 5% of the population plays regularly. It will never get the attention you think it should. It's there and works well enough to keep people that enjoy coming back and putting money into the game.
  • skyrimfantasy
    skyrimfantasy
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't play Caravan in FONV; I don't know how to play Gwent or Hearthstone, and have barely played the Elder Scrolls card game I've forgotten the name of. I doubt I'll be playing this to any great extent.

That being said, I wonder if skipping the tutorial quest will stop randos from spamming game invites? And will skipping the tutorial quest be worth avoiding the inevitable NPC that yells the same line of dialogue at you to get your attention?

Will there be a way to turn off invites like there is for dueling? Or will it tied to that? I have absolutely no interest in learning or playing a card game.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Will there be a way to turn off invites like there is for dueling? Or will it tied to that? I have absolutely no interest in learning or playing a card game.

I didn't even think of the potential for being spammed with invites. I'd like to know if they can be turned off as well.
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

WHY.gif

Their justification on stream was basically it's a fun chill diversion to raiding/ pvp/ questing.

Thing is we already have plenty of those- housing, trading, etc.
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This one wants to know if some quest progressions are tied to the card games. And if you lose, can you still move onto the next stage?
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neutral. I don't feel strongly and/or have mixed feeling about it.
    I played TES Legends a lot when there were still regular updates, but Tales of Tribute looks so unnessarily complicated?! Also i think they said in the stream that one game would take about 20 to 25 minutes, which seems quite long for just a short break from questing. Oh, and no rewards if you play with a friend, only during the questline and in ranked matches... I'll give it a try, but I'm not really convinced yet.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    I played TES Legends a lot when there were still regular updates, but Tales of Tribute looks so unnessarily complicated?! Also i think they said in the stream that one game would take about 20 to 25 minutes, which seems quite long for just a short break from questing. Oh, and no rewards if you play with a friend, only during the questline and in ranked matches... I'll give it a try, but I'm not really convinced yet.

20 minutes seem a bit long. This one usually has food buffs on or for the new alts, exp scrolls. That means 20 minutes not utilising the food and scrolls.
    Edited by SammyKhajit on April 15, 2022 6:25PM
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, let's take a game idea our company already failed at and cram another version of it into our MMO so we don't have to make real content...

It's ok, some casual and content creators will hype it up for them even though most of the community won't actually care about it and will probably only do it if it's forced upon them due to certain rewards.

I guess between this and the antiquities mini game it's clear zos is running out of ideas for expanding this game and will just crutch on mini-games here on out.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interested. I think I'll enjoy and play it for a while.
    Won’t know until I’ve played it but Card Games are usually a big win for me. They’re my second most placed game after RPG’s.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • Inhuman003
    Inhuman003
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are allowed to play against more than one person then I'm good with it. But otherwise, I declare war in the card game my record will be 0 wins & 1000 loses.
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    Adventurer wrote: »
    Am I the only one to whom the game looked easy? I did play a similar game that works basically exactly the same, so I was familiar with the concept, but it seems really easy.

Also Dominion is very similar to it, so the idea of using up all your cards during a turn to buy new cards or get power to use the patrons and going multiple times through your deck isn't new at all, this is just another variation of this specific type of a deckbuilding game.

Personally I am looking forward to it, although I think it's very likely the best winning strategies will form soon, since there are only so many deck variations you can have in the game, so eventually people will know the best strategies to go for (whatever the 4deck setup is), RNG notwithstanding.

Edit: Personally I'd be really excited if they had a Dark Brotherhood deck, or decks themed after the guilds.

So I looked up Dominion and you are exactly right. This is the same game almost. Same template anyway. Thanks for bringing this up, because reading how Dominion works and remembering what I saw in the stream, the Tribute game now makes sense. And yes, it's pretty easy when you 'get it'. Which I just did, so thank you for the reference.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Also i think they said in the stream that one game would take about 20 to 25 minutes, which seems quite long for just a short break from questing.

Wow, 20 minutes with a chance to have nothing to show for it? Especially with all the crashes and disconnects.... and who knows what new bugs will be introduced with U34? you could play 19 minutes and get kicked to desktop. Sounds like a hard pass for me.

Although that does give me an idea! You forfeit the game if you don't play your turn within 110 seconds? Maybe we can sell forfeit carries. "WTS guaranteed win within 2 minutes! Why play the full 20! Whisper for rates."
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Paralyse
    Paralyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After 5 minutes into the post-stream "explanation" I was so confused that I gave up watching. Even the two designers explaining it couldn't seem to figure out what they were doing, and that's the two that built it.

I'm a competitive Hearthstone player for many years now (ranked Wild ladder play) so I do have quite a bit TCG experience, but this new in-game "game" looks way too complicated and difficult for a "mini game." Count me out.
    Paralyse, Sanguine's Tester - Enjoying ESO since beta. Trial clears: vSS HM, Crag HM's, vRG Oax HM, vMoL DD, vKA HM, vCR+1, vAS IR, vDSR, vSE
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With everything that was said on the stream, I just can't really bring myself to care. I like more traditional card games in general, but they're (obviously) not the reason I play ESO. I'll probably play for a bit and get any achievements related to the new system. Then proceed to never touch it again. They could have made something truly unique to ESO in the form of in-game culturally-specific games, like the "Foxes and Felines" or "Punctilious Conflict" funishing, but instead we have an in-game version of Gwent/Legends/Magic: The Gathering/insert other card game made within the last decade.

It's not for me, but I don't think I'd hate it. Not everything ZOS makes will be a hit with absolutely everyone, and that's fine. I'm not the target audience for this one. I won't play it much beyond achievement hunting (which does mean I will be playing it regardless of whether I like the card game or not), but others will likely get hours of fun out of it.

@Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

WHY.gif

Because of Gwent?

Which reminds me... I have several hundred hours in Witcher 3. I've replayed it several times with different builds. My total Gwent play time? Less than 10 minutes.
  • oldbobdude
    oldbobdude
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m interested enough that I’ll check it out. I am a big fan of Witcher 3’s Ghent. Not expecting it to be like gwent but will see if it trips a chord for me.
  • lemonizzle
    lemonizzle
    ✭✭✭✭
    If everything else was going well, I'd welcome a new game mode. Not like this, [snip]. Antiquities, companions and now cards. It's like a waiter coming with another round of appetizers and coke, and you've been waiting an hour for your order already.

[edited for mild bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 16, 2022 12:44PM
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch! Just saw the poll results on the first page.

Interested and Really Interested = 19%

Disinterested and Really Disinterested = 58%

That's a 3 to 1 advantage for the disinterested players. This feature is shaping up to be a colossal failure.

I don't want to see ESO suffer so hopefully this setback will inspire ZOS to give players what they want instead of giving them something an executive or bean counter likes.
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »

That's a 3 to 1 advantage for the disinterested players. This feature is shaping up to be a colossal failure.

I don't want to see ESO suffer so hopefully this setback will inspire ZOS to give players what they want instead of giving them something an executive or bean counter likes.

It feels like they've given up on player retention at this point and are just testing out new ways to bait new players in. Endgame trials and PVP are lacking in performance, incentive, population, content and polish.
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, I would take the results of a poll like this with a hefty dose of salt. The only way to get a good idea of the popularity would be to do some sort of in-game poll (not even just a single guild poll). Otherwise it's really not indicative of the overall ESO population, which is, broadly speaking, mostly casual and probably will enjoy this regardless of the outcome of any poll on the forum (of which probably only around 1% of the total playerbase resides).

@Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need. ESO-UNO Unleashed! All buffs & debuffs readily available from some well chosen cards with some available in your nearest crown-store /s

Hyperbole is inherent in my post as it is meant as a provoker of thought ;)

No thanks is my honest answer to this card game.
  • FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The forum makes up a very small percentage of the player base and is often the very vocal minority so the polls on here don't truly express how the entire community actually feels.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Wow, 20 minutes with a chance to have nothing to show for it? Especially with all the crashes and disconnects.... and who knows what new bugs will be introduced with U34? you could play 19 minutes and get kicked to desktop. Sounds like a hard pass for me.

…how is that different from Battlegrounds, or getting kicked during a siege in Cyrodiil? That’s a problem with the game period, not the card game minigame specifically.
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Although that does give me an idea! You forfeit the game if you don't play your turn within 110 seconds? Maybe we can sell forfeit carries. "WTS guaranteed win within 2 minutes! Why play the full 20! Whisper for rates."

My understanding was you forfeit your turn, not the whole game. They said letting time run out would have the game click the turn-ending hourglass for you. So that wouldn’t work, you’d need to find some other way to quit mid-match.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to know the answer to this too. It was annoying enough getting duel invites that I've set them to auto-decline now. I hope we can do that with these card game invites too. Zero interest in it.
  • Sambucca1973
    Sambucca1973
    ✭✭✭
    Eh. I’ll probably play occasionally. But honestly don’t care. Not everything in an MMO is designed for every single player. For those who enjoy these types of things, congratulations. I hope it will be an enjoyable diversion.

Just not my cup of tea, and that’s OK too.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly I was really unimpressed with the idea of it at first. After watching the stream the other day, it seems kinda cute and cozy, and I think I will enjoy it. Like others, I'm still upset it's the main feature of the chapter, but in a vacuum, I think it's nice.

My real hope is that the rewriting of the code this year will make better performance and make it possible to go back to adding more substantial stuff like a class or skill line, or maybe even two in one chapter since it's been so long.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer