The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How interested are you in playing tales of tribute (the card game)?

• alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disinterested. I don't want to play it, I don't think I'll enjoy the game.
    Rataroto wrote: »
    This is not a TCG (Trading Card Game), its a CCG (Collecting Card Game).

CCGs are usually harder to make interesting for me since there's is nothing to lose or sacrifice in order to get something better for you specifically.

On top of that, by shuffling both decks together in order to play someone, it completely defeats the main aspect of card games, CCGs especially: Building something unique to your playstyle.

So its a CCG, in which deckbuilding doesn't matter. Or rather, is done on the fly between the players during the match. That is a format called DRAFT. And it isn't that popular within CCG and TCGs alike.

Finally here's the kicker for me: It is way too complex for its own good. 'Games within games' need to be short, optional and feel like you can just hop and play. Gwent is a good example, it was barebones on The Witcher 3, and got refined a bit more for the actual Gwent game. Though again, simple premisse. Having a game that has multiple win conditions, ifs, buts, whens, is just not good for something supposed to be casual and inserted INTO another game. TES already has a card game, it's called Elder Scrolls Legends; and for all of its faults, ESL is actually fun and well made, feeling unique but without overdoing or overcomplicating things.

And yes, as many have already pointed out, the fact that this brand CASUAL card game has a ranking system with leaderboards, rewards and actual ranks. Is just a massive slap on the face to all of those who give an iota of F about PvP.

And, to repeat my pet peeve about this card game, it is so far from something casual that ordinary people in a medieval fantasy game would play that it hurts. The Witcher did far better in that respect (at least the first installation, never played the others), a simple, easy but complex game.
  • EnerG
    EnerG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really interested. I think i'll enjoy and play it a lot
    I love card games, played pokemon in nerd dens back in the day and my boyfriend still plays magic. I will play the absolute HECK out of this, i hope i can make money off it somehow, like the gold winnings will be good 💝💝💝💝
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. (please, precise your answer in the comments)
    Is there a card to bring back my achievements, let my alts redo content, and unbork NPC and map interactions? If not, I’ll pass.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Neutral. I don't feel strongly and/or have mixed feeling about it.
    I will give it a shot, hope it comes with a clear tutorial that explains it properly.

That is all I can really say at this point I don't watch the streams in advance aside from patch notes I go into updates and chapters blind, its up to the content to stand on its own and win me over.

One of my main concerns is if its going to be dead on arrival, not in terms of it being bad or unfun or technical issues those are concerns too but my main one is are there going to be enough players willing to actually play the card game a month after the chapter comes out and the novelty wears off.
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all boils down to the unique rewards that actually affect my characters. My characters are, after all, the reason I play MMOs. If the rewards somehow make them more powerful or better aligned aesthetically to what I envision, then I’ll be playing — the same way I’ve been excavating (for mythics). If the rewards are trivial, then I’ll probably pass.
  • grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    Itll always be funny how people who are not the target audience complain about it . Even better when they like to act like it is not a feature when it is regardless of feelings. Every chapter adds something that the previous did not , so every new chapter always has more than the last in 1 way or the other, weather you like it or not that is the fact and without that new thing from even 3 chapters ago this current one wouldnt have had it .I want a new class but I am not gonna use a opinion and push it as fact. Its a activity added that will have its niche , just like antiquities. I can want something without putting something I would have never been interested in down
    Edited by grizzledcroc on April 14, 2022 11:34PM
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Really disinterested. I don't want to play it at all, I think I'll hate it.
    This card game is a spit in the face to Battlegrounds players. We've been asking for ranked competitive BGs for a long time.

Instead, they give us a ranked competitive card game. Very disappointed.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on April 15, 2022 12:14AM
    PC NA
  • Xandreia_
    Xandreia_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% no, I actually fell asleep watching it
  • LostHorizon1933
    LostHorizon1933
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won’t know until I actually try it.

Proof: I gave antiquities a chance, and it proved itself.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to trying it.
  • RealLoveBVB
    RealLoveBVB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it.

It seems nice to have to skip some waiting times (I don't know the average match time yet). But if you need to wait for something, you can just start a game instead of idling around.

Also it's a nice variety, since it's not a activity where you have to smash 10 buttons.

Lean back and have fun.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interested. I think I'll enjoy and play it for a while.
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    First glimpse of it and I'm very overwhelmed. They claim it's easy to play but hard to master, but it seems a bit complicated. I think it's the whole deal about cards being reshuffled after every turn that's throwing me off. I can understand there being two separate win conditions, but the way the playing cards are handled is jumbling me up. I'll have to spend A LOT of time getting used to it, and frankly I'm absolutely terrible at multi-tasking. I'm already planning on working with Ember on top of my usual exploration and questing.

You know what I felt? Tired. Because they say it is supposed to be something that normal people would play in Tamriel, and it is TOTALLY a mobile app-game sort of thing. The opposite of the very simplistic games people actually played. And the fact that it is collectible just makes it stick out like a Delorean in Deshaan.

Now it may be fun, but believable as a medieval game? Not even at all.

Eh. Tamriel isn't Earth, and they have a number of things they have access to that wouldn't be available in the real world that doesn't make the idea that crazy to me.
  • FaylenSol
    FaylenSol
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love TCG. I was a Judge for Magic the Gathering for 5 years before I quit paper MTG (Still play on Arena). I used to play competative Pokemon TCG, Force of Will, and Ascension. I also very briefly played Yu-Gi-Oh, but never in a tournament setting.

I also still love playing Slay the Spire. Heck I even loved Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories on the GBA.

I've grown to love deckbuilding games over time and I am certain I may love this game as well. I just hope it doesn't get heavily monetized.
    Edited by FaylenSol on April 15, 2022 1:47AM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still planning on trying this out on the PTS, but from what I saw today I will probably be willing to try a few games against NPCs at least.
    And, to repeat my pet peeve about this card game, it is so far from something casual that ordinary people in a medieval fantasy game would play that it hurts. The Witcher did far better in that respect (at least the first installation, never played the others), a simple, easy but complex game.
    This I have to agree with. They kept mentioning how popular it supposedly is throughout Tamriel - you know, the place that’s been run over by half a dozen Daedric Princes and torn to bits by nearly as many mortal armies just in a handful of years. :p We’ve been through most of the mainland by this point, and no mention of the thing has been made up to now. I’d have made it specific to the Systres with maybe a couple outliers in other places.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LalMirchi wrote: »
    The card game on Twitch looks like watching paint dry, only worse.

Kind of like watching any streamer do anything when I could be playing instead.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Einher2137 wrote: »
    I only hope for possibility to farm cards through world activities, dungeons, raids. Also i expected something similar to TES legends, i am not dissapointed only little dissatisfied.

Only if we can sell them to other players and the game succeeds.

I look at it this way. If it was a good card game, well designed, Zenimax would have released it on its own where it could generate revenue instead of tossing it into ESO. I do not expect much.
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    rbfrgsp wrote: »
    *the opposite of being interested is being uninterested, not disinterested.

Disinterested means to not be affected by a personal bias in a matter.

Why, yes: I am fun at parties.

This one shall invite you to Sammy’s family gatherings, pour you a large glass of something that you want, and introduce you to his loudly opinionated uncle.
    Edited by SammyKhajit on April 15, 2022 7:26AM
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No thanks.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wording of the poll choices are exaggerated. It has nothing to do with hate. I simply have zero interest in a card game inside a MMORPG.
    It's not specific to ESO. Generally, I have no interest in "games inside the game ". For example, GW2 has several yearly events out of which one is a "game inside the game", of the type old school platforming with pixelated graphics. I agree, it's funny, but I have zero interest to play it and don't touch it.
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not even on my radar. I don't think I'll hate it. I think it will just end up being meaningless after the first week, much like the companions are for me.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Minnesinger
    Minnesinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The very best outcome of the card game is that there will considerably less lag in the game. I am fearing that the the card game will be laggy mess though. Bugs and exploits are part the game.
    The wind is cold where I live,
    The blizzard is my home,
    Snow and ice and loaded dice, the Wizard lives alone.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not interested, but I might be if I could play with my companions. Can we? My characters hang around with companions most of the time, but we can’t really interact. If Tamriel citizens like to go to the tavern and play cards, then I’d expect Bastion and Mirri (and Ember and Isobel) would want to do this, too. In which case, my characters might consider joining them.
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not interested, but I might be if I could play with my companions. Can we? My characters hang around with companions most of the time, but we can’t really interact. If Tamriel citizens like to go to the tavern and play cards, then I’d expect Bastion and Mirri (and Ember and Isobel) would want to do this, too. In which case, my characters might consider joining them.

This so much
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems more complicated yet less interesting than Legends. Man I miss that game.

I also don't see the people of Tamriel developing something so complicated as a tavern game. There's a reason people use simple playing cards or dice all over the world.

Looking forward to give it a try, though.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Interest? I am beyond interests, enjoyments and other mortal futilities. For I only want to be in the poll!!!
    I need to play it first
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • _adhyffbjjjf12
    _adhyffbjjjf12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feedback is that ESO should have hooked Elder Scrolls Legends into the game. ESL was a highly regarded, high quality card game that is still played today even though they entirely abandoned their loyal player base that was paying/playing that game.
  • Kitziboo
    Kitziboo
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I am absolutely not interested in card games (I tried and hated Gwent) if there are exciting ‘must have’ prizes then I may give it a go with with NPCs but I’m certainly not into playing with other players. The game is too beautiful and full of fun activities to enjoy and baby alts to level, rather than waste time on a card game.
  • ceiron
    ceiron
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly had little interest from the start.

Watching it being played really put me off.

Maybe will be better actually playing it.

But to me mini games should be quick, fun and unique.

Think they have missed a massive opportunity here personally.

Time will show.
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legends cards were beautiful compared to the ones of tales of tribute. The gameplay doesn't seem attractive. I am disappointed to the point I don't think I will buy High Isle. For the first time in 8 years, I might not buy a chapter. Who would have thought ?
    Edited by Sotha_Sil on April 15, 2022 8:26AM
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I could be fun
    I wa trd a tavern game for a time in this game so did some other

Ff14 as triple triad and its generaly fun to play