The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PTS Update 33 - Feedback Thread for Account Wide Achievements

• Oliviander
    Oliviander
    ✭✭✭✭
    ARRGH - Plz stop this nonsense,

I am playing ESO from the beginning
    Loosing my Achievement and title Tracking per Character would kill the game for me.
    And I guess many longtime players that are keeping track of their alts for years feel the same.

I have 18 toons and I don't think that I have an achievement on an Alt
    that my Main hasn't. So accountwide achievements would actually take away all achievments my alts have.
    So why not deleting all of them and begin from scratch - for me it would nearly feel the same :-(

For all those who want this, just make an additional tab for account achievements.
    (and there you could easily include all achievements, which would at least make a little sense)

I also fail to understand: Why would anyone be wanting to use a title on a toon that hasn't earned it ???
    There is nothing gained by that - there are enough titles to choose from even for lowlevel alts.
    That said - this change would'nt bother me nearly as much as the loss of the character tracking.

Acountwide achievements is by far the single worst design decision you ever made.
    And it is the most game affecting change you ever made. (Yes including One Tamriel !)
    I never even had a problem with any of your design decisions in the last seven years and
    most of them I actually liked.

But Plz rethink this !!!

Or you might loose a player who actually invested heavy in Crown Crates since their existence.

Or the other way round

I will gladly pay the full price for all Chapters and DLCs this year has to offer
    even if the whole patchnotes will be:

Update 33: Keeping Achievements and Titles per Character
    Update 34: Keeping Achievements and Titles per Character
    Update 35: Keeping Achievements and Titles per Character
    Update 36: Keeping Achievements and Titles per Character
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    silvereyes wrote: »
    I definitely do NOT like this. The order that one loads characters in should NOT make irreversible, account-wide choices on the player's behalf.
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »
    Can this ben changed to list All of the characters that have done this? And dates? Also shouldn't this divert to the earliest achievement date?

I am seriously getting anxiety over loading my characters in the wrong order...
    Wait, this doesn't seem to be the case. I just checked and it did replace a date with an earlier date and character. Multiple times as I loaded a character that did it earlier. I checked Disrobed Discipline.

Is there some kind of inconsistency perhaps? Because no matter how many characters I've loaded, my Elsweyr achievements are still bound to my main nightblade who completed the content a year after my necro, while my necro who completed them first has his progress and dates deleted and replaced by my nightblade.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • LtSnowballin
    LtSnowballin
    ✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

Wanting account-wide achievements simply so you don't have to do them again on a new character doesn't make sense, since you have already earned those achievements. You don't HAVE to earn them on a new character, so account-wide only really is necessary to get a snapshot of everything you have done, regardless of character.

Let me go ahead and stop you there. It makes COMPLETE sense because it eliminates making the player REDO the content they didn't like in order to get a title that would be given to a different character. You're right, we don't HAVE to re-earn them, but we WANT the titles granted from an achievement on different toons, whilst retaining our main toon as our "achievement" toon. It makes perfect sense and it would be EXTREMELY beneficial to add this change, but with it, put in an "Opt in" or "Opt out" option so people that DO want it, can get it... And those who DON'T want it, don't have to have it.
    Almost Every Trifecta / Other Half: @NeptunXIV
    #BardKnockLife
    Goblins Are Based
    CP 2000+
  • maingray
    maingray
    ✭✭
    Optional please.

If you choose to make it non-optional, one option is to have a "cycle" or rank number; i.e. If I have Master Angler on 1 character, it says Master Angler 1. On two characters, it says Master Angler 2 account wide, and so on.

Also, I've often wondered why not have more a more public-facing achievements system for your account? A place to publicly show off your achievements (account/character), much like a more exhaustive XBox Achievements list.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just tested bringing a brand new character into my decorated house, and she got no popup notifications for any decorator achievements.

So it seems that if anyone enjoys getting notifications when your character earns an achievement that your other characters have already earned, you will no longer be able to do so.

This is devastating for so many of us. It takes away such a large part of the purpose and enjoyment of playing multiple characters.
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I definitely do NOT like this. The order that one loads characters in should NOT make irreversible, account-wide choices on the player's behalf.
    Can this ben changed to list All of the characters that have done this? And dates? Also shouldn't this divert to the earliest achievement date?

Wait, this doesn't seem to be the case. I just checked and it did replace a date with an earlier date and character. Multiple times as I loaded a character that did it earlier. I checked Disrobed Discipline.

I figured out what is going on here. For achievements with multiple prerequisites, the new system is merging ALL prerequisites from ALL characters, and even if none of your characters had earned that achievement before, the first one loaded that completes the prerequisites when merged will get credit.

For example, my character Brightens-Silver-Eyes has only a single prerequisite for the Defender of Summerset achievement completed, but she got credit for the achievement on PTS because she was the first loaded to complete the prerequisites when merged.
    5drb3pc2c71q.jpg

This most definitely seems like a bug to me, as it will lead to totally unpredictable behavior.
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This might be the only thread in the whole forum where people on all sides of the matter agree on a solution. If this isn't a good reason to pay attention to what is being said here, I don't know what is.

Please, let us opt in/opt out/whatever-term-you-want-to-call-it. This way all of us will have what we want. Those who want global achievements will be able to display them and those who want to earn them character by character can do so too.

I'm on the camp that thinks that having all the achievements apply to all characters diminishes my will to play any of them. At the same time, I don't like to hear/read about people being turned away from group content because they don't have the "required" title*.

There is a solution that would please everybody. Please apply it. Give us a toggle so we can choose if we want to apply global achievements or not.

* I'm not a great fan of asking the devs to prevent people from behaving in certain ways, but demanding players to prove they can do content gets me really close to asking.
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would honestly hold back this global achievement update and go back to the drawing board. There is plenty of ways to make both sides happy rather than just spitting in the faces of one side as if we don't even matter.
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there some kind of inconsistency perhaps? Because no matter how many characters I've loaded, my Elsweyr achievements are still bound to my main nightblade who completed the content a year after my necro, while my necro who completed them first has his progress and dates deleted and replaced by my nightblade.
    Possibly, I loaded my main first, so there aren't that many achievements that some other character did first. Would be good for others to check to see if some achievements are not doing this correctly, or if something else is going on.
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolfkeks wrote: »
    While I love getting account wide achievements I'm seeing lots of peeps who are unhappy about it.

Would it be possible to make a tab for character and one tab for account achievements so peeps can track which character did a certain achievement? Or make a note on that achievement if it was done on that char or on the account?

Otherwise I like this change!

That would defeat the purpose of account-wide achievements imo. You´d still have to stick to your main so it has all the achievements.

Depends how it would be integrated I'd say. If the account wide achievements tab would not only give you an overview (as the addon does right now) but also titles and so on, it could potentionally solve that. You would still be able to use everything that comes with the achievment while also making sure that people can re-do their achievments as they please.

But I can definelty see your point and appreciate the feedback! 👍

I'm a fan of account wide achievments and I'm happy that I can now play on more characters and still be able to get my achievements on my main, but some peeps dislike the change so I'm just throwing out ideas to find a commen ground for both sides.
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • Katinas
    Katinas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Suggestion:
    Simply add tracking of how many achievements your account unlocked and display this new number next to total achievement points available in the game and the character earned achievements.

For example:
    Achievement points (Available in game): 48,885
    Account achievements (Across your entire account): 41,720
    Character achievements (Only this particular character): 19,895
    If you view your achievements on another character, it would display the same 41,720 account achievement points and the other character's points, let's say 16,005.

Make us see both account and character-individual points. Don't merge them into some new mishmash where some are global, some are individual, some are earned one time only and other earnable on multiple characters. Don't rob us from the replayability of the game.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to echo the call for a per-character tracker. It's great to have the account-wide unlocks, which I assume is the primary aim, but tracking individual character progression is just as important.
    Edited by Enodoc on January 31, 2022 8:54PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could someone explain where the benefit is?

The only benefit is that players can display their titles on characters that didn't earn them.

Everything else is a negative.

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is the official feedback thread for account wide Achievements. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
    • Do you have any other general feedback?

With the greatest of respect, this is an appalling and unwelcome implementation. Please reconsider this implementation before it goes live and destroys the individuality of our characters.

Many players, myself included, much prefer the current character exclusive achievement tab feature as it allows us to track, monitor and plan character activity and achievements on an individual character basis - to know who did what and when and who still has to do stuff. It stimulates and aids replayability and also ignites fond memories (and frustrations!) when you are able to review individual character progression. It is also great for planning game sessions per character either solo or grouped.

I have no objection to a separate and new tab for player(account) achievements as implemented, being a reflection of the cumulative progress of all characters. But having it replace the existing system entirely is unwanted, unasked for and essentially destroys all that individual character progression (who did what and when) and their individual histories and their individual journeys. As is, this implementation is simply nuking all individual character progression - their back-story, journey, progress and virtual lives - into oblivion.

If the motivation for doing account-wide achievements and in this way is to reduce the size of account data on the server then please consider making the current character based achievements client side only - that way you get your per account data reduction and we get to keep the existing system which has reliably and enjoyably served us for many years.

Thanks.

edit:typos
    Edited by deleted221106-002999 on January 31, 2022 8:56PM
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Alliance War Achievements-
    I made a new character on the PTS to see how this plays out.
    • The character has all the titles from my most advanced Cyrodill character and I slotted Grand Overlord.
    • The character did not get the 50 skill points from the achievements.
    • The character did not get the 5 Star image that goes with the title.
    • I could not test anything else at this point because the character cannot go into Cyrodiil because it is under level 10. I'm going to take a guess that it can buy the scroll from the housing vendor. I want to add that being able to buy achievement items on a different character is not important to me.

Edit: (Adding to say that what I have looked at so far, the Alliance War Achievements, is pointless.)

On housing, I stepped into my main house on the new character and no achievement notifications popped up at all. This is unusual as this house typically gives several achievement on first entry to one of my characters. I must say that I like achievement pop-ups and I hope they were not removed as part of this new feature.
    Edited by Dojohoda on January 31, 2022 9:00PM
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    This is unusual as this house typically gives several achievement on first entry to one of my characters. I must say that I like achievement pop-ups and I hope they were not removed as part of this new feature.
    The popups weren't removed, it's just that you only get them once per account, rather than per character
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First there were 5 star Tyros; Now there are level 6 Grand Overlords. This is the Way?
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is unusual as this house typically gives several achievement on first entry to one of my characters. I must say that I like achievement pop-ups and I hope they were not removed as part of this new feature.
    The popups weren't removed, it's just that you only get them once per account, rather than per character

Thank you for the information.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Sukayo
    Sukayo
    ✭✭
    Please leave us the feeling of role play, to celebrate when a char gets done something.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think account wide achievements are for server resources. I need to read the comments to see if anyone else is thinks the same.

My feedback is that I don't like it. I like developing my individual characters. I like getting achievements on each of the characters. I like achievement pop-ups. :) Sometimes when I don't know what to do, I look at the achievements and figure out something for that particular character. :thumbsdown:
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Logged onto PTS. My main first. All achievements that I had done were on there and unlocked (in my quick glance)

Logged onto one of my alts. They had almost all of the same achievements (minus a few motifs). I had lost all of the progress on my questing on that character. I had lost all progress of dailies on that character. I had lost all progress of the progression in trials from my raid group on that character. No hyperbole, I got sick to my stomach and had to close the PTS.

This change is devastating :cry: Completely changes the game for me, and with my sub up in 2 weeks, this may be the time, despite how much I've loved this game :disappointed:
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • The character has all the titles from my most advanced Cyrodill character and I slotted Grand Overlord.
    • I could not test anything else at this point because the character cannot go into Cyrodiil because it is under level 10. I'm going to take a guess that it can buy the scroll from the housing vendor. I want to add that being able to buy achievement items on a different character is not important to me.

Edit: (Adding to say that what I have looked at so far, the Alliance War Achievements, is pointless.)

On housing, I stepped into my main house on the new character and no achievement notifications popped up at all. This is unusual as this house typically gives several achievement on first entry to one of my characters. I must say that I like achievement pop-ups and I hope they were not removed as part of this new feature.

Interesting. So does this mean that any toons who did not do the PVP achievements before the update drops will be permanently locked out of those 50 skill points? That's....not good. Definitely a downside, and I say this as someone who did want account wide achievements.

Additionally, I have to echo the sentiment that it is now a lot harder to track whether a character did a particular questline. While I am happy that titles and achievement goodies are shared, I see no reason why we shouldn't have individual data to track things.
    Edited by Wolf_Eye on January 31, 2022 9:30PM
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Logged onto PTS. My main first. All achievements that I had done were on there and unlocked (in my quick glance)

Logged onto one of my alts. They had almost all of the same achievements (minus a few motifs). I had lost all of the progress on my questing on that character. I had lost all progress of dailies on that character. I had lost all progress of the progression in trials from my raid group on that character. No hyperbole, I got sick to my stomach and had to close the PTS.

This change is devastating :cry: Completely changes the game for me, and with my sub up in 2 weeks, this may be the time, despite how much I've loved this game :disappointed:

I felt the same, no hyperbole either. My stomach dropped right to my feet seeing exactly how horrible the implementation of this system was. The loss of such a major piece of ones history in the game hit hard, even if it wasn't yet live. Thinking of it being live...feels really, really terrible.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • nbksaske
    nbksaske
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Please make this optional.

There is plenty of feedback on the General Discussion forum (including the official feedback thread) explaining why this change is so game-breaking for many players, while being welcomed by others.

Game breaking is a bit of a stretch.
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pvw9796.png

An addon has this implemented perfectly, please allow us to see which characters obtained the achievements and when they did so.

There is no reason to remove character data just let the data be seem by other characters.
    @CyberOnEso PC | EU - Jack of all Trades - Armory Style Manager Planesbreaker | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the few things I would have liked about account-wide achievements is not having to accumulate x kills of y all on one character, but if I am reading the patch notes correctly, this does nothing to enable earning an achievement across multiple characters, but only removes the ability to achieve it again on another character. Worst of both systems (character vs accountwide) if you ask me. :confused:
  • Syrta
    Syrta
    Soul Shriven
    This was a messy and hamfisted implementation to what could have been a purely positive experience. I don't think anyone is against seeing account wide achievements in which you can see your achievements from any of your characters, but many people are devestated by having all of their progress deleted like that and having any future in pushing for those achievements again destroyed. I liked repeating content on new classes and roles and getting those achievements over and over. It felt good to have each character progress and to collect mementos of that progress. Now it is all on the account and I have little reason to put in the effort to get the difficult achievements again.

This removes a lot of the incentive for players to repeat content, especially particularly difficult team based content like dungeon and trial trifectas. There is the argument to get new trifectas, but where does that leave everyone that doesn't have it yet? The vast majority of the time a good chunk of a group working on a trifecta already has it. I'm sure there are people that would still do it anyways just to help their friends or for the joy of gameplay, but why remove that incentive for everyone else? Why remove something so many play this game for?

It may be that those that enjoy collecting achievements are in the minority. However, is there any reason to remove what that minority enjoys? Does it benefit anyone else? It would be easy to have account wide achievements that track which characters have done them. There is an addon that does it, so I know ZoS can do it.
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wolf_Eye wrote: »

Interesting. So does this mean that any toons who did not do the PVP achievements before the update drops will be permanently locked out of those 50 skill points? That's....not good. Definitely a downside, and I say this as someone who did want account wide achievements.
    No. Skill points are awarded by rank. When the character achieves the new rank by gaining AP, they will get the skill points.

It's confusing, because the achievements, titles, ranks and skill points all got awarded at the same time in the past, but now, the achievements and titles will only be awarded once, account-wide, and the ranks and skill points will continue to function as before, per-character.
  • Renan
    Renan
    ✭✭✭
    I really appreciate this change. Finally i will be able to have my godslayer, planes and saintly on my stamina main and reach someday 100% of achievs
    Champion Rank 3100 == (PC/NA)
    Evil ßæ - Lvl 50 Magicka Nightblade - EP ßaby Ðont Gank Me - Lvl 50 Stamina Dragonknight - EP That Cat Behind You - Lvl 50 Stamina Nightblade - EP Run You Fools - Lvl 50 Stamina Warden -EP R E N A N - Lvl 50 Stamina Nightblade (Main) - EP How Do I Leave Cyrodiil - - Lvl 50 Stamina Nightblade - EP The Fall Damage - Lvl 50 Sorcerer - EP ßackstreak ßoys - Lvl 50 Magicka Sorcerer -EP Renan Daemon - Lvl 50 Stamina Arcanist - EP and others 9 EP toons Flawless Conqueror Master Angler Tamriel Hero Grand Overlord Spirit Slayer Godslayer Ad DC and EP Former Emperor Player Since 2014
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Sad. Sorry that you had to go through that. :disappointed:

This turned out to be exactly what I expected, so I didn't even bother to install the PTS update after reading the patch notes. Reading the commentary on the forum, this seems to have been the right decision.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus